Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 25-06-2012 04:52 PM

The salary for mid-career will varies depends on experience & qualifications (i think)

The one quote above was much higher that what I actually seen.

They have different range and banding. The one I know is $3.8k-$4.4k (this is for 10yrs exp with degree in art...corp coms sector)

singaporeteacher 26-06-2012 02:43 AM

So can an engineer with 15 years experience and working as mechanical engineer get around 5.5-6K?

I hear that they now send you for school student teaching first before the next batch of PGDE term.

What is the salary that you can expect when serving as a student teacher, during PGDE and after PGDE? Or is the salary just based on Before PGDE and after PGDE?

Unregistered 28-06-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singaporeteacher (Post 26090)
So can an engineer with 15 years experience and working as mechanical engineer get around 5.5-6K?

I hear that they now send you for school student teaching first before the next batch of PGDE term.

What is the salary that you can expect when serving as a student teacher, during PGDE and after PGDE? Or is the salary just based on Before PGDE and after PGDE?

5.5K for a untrained teacher??!! No way!! If they pay you that amount, alot of the old timers are going to hang themselves since they had to slog so many years to hit that salary scale..... they should be offering you somewhere around 4k taking into account your zero teaching experience and age.. and that is if they even find you suitable in the first place... Why leave engineering?? Yearning for a high paying job with less work responsibilities?? Must agree that engineers shoulder so much responsibilities for so little money... work in hazardous environments... furthermore the older you get, the less value you can command.. Anytime will get retrenchment cos you are old, slow and expensive... You will not have this type of nonsense in MOE.. somemore salary progression is almost guaranteed every few years...

singaporeteacher 03-07-2012 11:56 PM

Anybody knows the salary range for GEO1A1, GEO1A2 and GEO1A3. I heard from a teacher that people with other working experience are actually offered salaries based on these scales depending on their years of experience rather than GEO1A grade.

The contributor previously who had gone for his/her interview on Thursday, please share your experience with us. Thanks!

Unregistered 04-07-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singaporeteacher (Post 26090)

Scare retrenchment then join as teachers. These is one of the reasons why the quality of our teachers is dropping.

Unregistered 07-07-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26010)
I am also considering a career switch from engineer to teacher (junior college level). Does any one have a rough estimation of what the salary will be like during NIE and after NIE? My qualifications are a masters of engineering and about 6 years of working experience.

I am thinking if i should study another part time masters of science - if it helps to increase my salary by some amount?

Any teachers out there who can advise me? Thank u.

You do not get a choice of which school to teach.

FYI, there are Doctorates teaching in primary schools.

Unregistered 29-08-2012 12:58 PM

lets keep the thread going... any experienced and existing teachers to share their views?

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:17 PM

I'm a current teacher teaching in a primary school. Frankly, if you are a responsible teacher, the salary definately doesn't match the amount of work and effort your have to put in. Generally you are to teach around 35-40 periods per week, not including helping to do relief. Apart from reaching the school around 7-715am, you are expected to carry out supplementary or remedial lessons every week. That's about 2-3 days? Then CCA takes another day. So, on these days, your day ends at about 3pm-4pm. Then, weekly meeting sometimes end around 5pm plus all the courses the school helps you to sign up. Getting pupils to stay back for corrections after remedial takes another hour. Not forgetting the time needed to do marking, setting and vetting papers. Even after staying till 5-6pm, you may still need to work from home! Holidays are spent preparing work, events and attending meetings. That leaves your around 3weeks of holiday after a year of hard work.

Are we paid a lot? No! Many of us stayed on because if our passion in teaching. Of cos there are free loaders in the industry. But at the expense of the children? Thats totally unprofessional. Please don't teach if you don't have the passion to teach. Only the passion can keep you going, not the $$.

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:54 PM

Someone mentioned in another thread that teachers can earn 100k per annum before their mid thirties. How true is it?

Unregistered 02-09-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27891)
Someone mentioned in another thread that teachers can earn 100k per annum before their mid thirties. How true is it?

Not sure about that, but I know many work outside as tuition teachers and earn alot more from that(definitely 100k per annum combined).