Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 19-07-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40085)
Hi,

I just received an email asking me to go down for an interview (NS policy exec). But the person told me that I'll have to write an essay before the interview? OMG.. longggg time since I wrote an essay....

anybody experienced this before? what type of essay topics and interview questions to expect?

Try to do well for the essay, it will be the deciding factor if u can proceed to the unit preview round. Write poliyically correct and sound essay, rope in frenz to help If possible. I didnt have to do an essay, probably becuz mine is just an executive post. Am waiting for medical chkup and to do my SAF card next week. For those who r pending interviews.. its a very long wait so dont worry if u dont get call up immediately...

Applied end april
Psychometric test on 28may
Interview on 20june
Unit preview on 25june
Received a call on 29june that I was selected
Security clearance on 18 july
They have also informed me my pay advice before fixing a date for my medical review...

Medical checkup and making of saf card next week. Loooong wait but I think its a very stable n exciting career...

Unregistered 20-07-2013 02:43 AM

has anyone encountered situation whereby you are asked to attend medical review first before HR advise you on the pay they are willing to offer?

Unregistered 22-07-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40113)
Try to do well for the essay, it will be the deciding factor if u can proceed to the unit preview round. Write poliyically correct and sound essay, rope in frenz to help If possible. I didnt have to do an essay, probably becuz mine is just an executive post. Am waiting for medical chkup and to do my SAF card next week. For those who r pending interviews.. its a very long wait so dont worry if u dont get call up immediately...

Applied end april
Psychometric test on 28may
Interview on 20june
Unit preview on 25june
Received a call on 29june that I was selected
Security clearance on 18 july
They have also informed me my pay advice before fixing a date for my medical review...

Medical checkup and making of saf card next week. Loooong wait but I think its a very stable n exciting career...

Hi, may I know which position u applied for? can share? and urs is exec but u don't have to write essay? mine is also exec right? haha.. will the topic be related to your job position?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40112)
Congrats on getting an email for interview. Can share when did you sit for the psychometric test? Thx

applied:7 Jun
Psycho test: 26 Jun

hope this helps.. u applied for DXO too? which post can share?

Unregistered 23-07-2013 02:35 PM

can anyone share how is the essay like? I'm going down for an interview on Monday, and would need to complete the essay prior to the interview.

Anyways I received the invitation for interview 1 month after the psychometric test haha..

Unregistered 23-07-2013 04:55 PM

Heys. I submitted my application on Saturday 2 weeks ago and they replied that night to ask me go down for interview. How efficient is that? But they didn't mention anything about what thr psychometric test will be about. Can anyone give a rough guide about how the test is like? Is it editing of grammar, punctuation n tenses? And comprehension where u will write true, false or not enough info? Thanks! (:

Unregistered 23-07-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40184)
Hi, may I know which position u applied for? can share? and urs is exec but u don't have to write essay? mine is also exec right? haha.. will the topic be related to your job position?

applied:7 Jun
Psycho test: 26 Jun

hope this helps.. u applied for DXO too? which post can share?

Hi sorry not at a liberty to share but jus an executive post, I have prior work experience so dont really need to write an essay. Furthermore, the JD of my post doesnt require me to write policies.. I do know that some posts like defence policy officer, research officer and defence policy (ns) requires job holders to be able to write profound policy papers and analyse mindef policies, henceforth, they need to assess ur writing skills to determine if u r suitable. I do know that the questions r set by the hiring manager so write politically sound and rational stuffs.. r u fresh grad? Try to be humble and honest, dont wayang too much (contrary to popular
beliefs).. of cuz dont be an extremist, show some patriotism and that u really care for the country.

I was previously oso in civil service, I didnt exaggerate too much but I think they need to feel that u must service from your heart. The questions would def be related to ns policies, maybe kinda like GP essays? I really dont knw but I have been to several interviews which require writing essays, most likely its GP style essay...

The process differs, if u have been reading the thread, some goes for psychometric tests first while others head for interviews first. It really depends, either way, u will only b selected if u fulfil their criteria...

Unregistered 24-07-2013 02:12 PM

Rejection Email from MINDEF Recruitment Team

Hi guys,

I received rejection email 1 day ago from MINDEF recruitment team after I went for the Psychometric Test on 12th July 2013. They reject application pretty fast, I guess ... =-(

Wonder whether I did badly for the test. But I managing to answered fairly around 90% of the questions for Verbal Test and Raven Metrics Test. For the last part, psychological test, I think I answered fairly base on the truth in my heart too.

For your info, I have a bit of work experience while applying with MINDEF for IT positions.

All the best to you guys who are still in the process of waiting. =-)

Ryou 24-07-2013 04:27 PM

eh. my one is I applied on the internet. straight away ask me go interview on the 31st? good thing or bad thing?

Unregistered 24-07-2013 07:04 PM

Recruitment Process with MINDEF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryou (Post 40290)
eh. my one is I applied on the internet. straight away ask me go interview on the 31st? good thing or bad thing?

Oh well, I can't comment on this ... But from what I gathered through this forum, many said that the recruitment process may differ. Some may have gone through the psychometric test
first and then wait to be shortlisted for interview. Some may straight-away go for interview and then asked to do some written test.

Anyway, good thing to be able to go for an interview. Good Luck to you!

Unregistered 27-07-2013 02:36 PM

anyone knows if mindef will process your application if you reapply within a year?

i applied in march and passed the test but failed the interview. want to reapply in august to try again... anyone knows if they will reject my application of what?

tia

Unregistered 28-07-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40419)
anyone knows if mindef will process your application if you reapply within a year?

i applied in march and passed the test but failed the interview. want to reapply in august to try again... anyone knows if they will reject my application of what?

tia

Im not too sure but u can email the HR personnel to clarify, they r v fast and efficient in their replies, and they answer all queries, even for candidates who are not selected.

My situation is slightly similar. After psychometric test, I received an email stating that I am not further shortlisted for an interview but they have assessed my application to be favourable n would like to retain me in their system. I was also told to email them if I find any suitable post or they will contact me if there are any suitable post. To me, I thought it was a very polite way of saying they are rejecting me cuz u didnt do good enough.

Nonetheless, I scrolled through the list and reapply another role which I have relevant experience. I emailed HR to ask if I need to reapply but was told that I only need to email them my interested post. I did both anyway. Within 3 days, I was asked to go down for an interview and subsequently unit preview. Was even offered a senior executive post, so I think if u make it thru the psychometric test, u shld be qualify, u probably need to apply another role which u r more confident of getting. Suggest u email and apply online. Mindef HR are the nicest people around, so dont be afraid to email them to seek clarification.

Unregistered 28-07-2013 11:23 PM

How to contact the HR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40440)
Im not too sure but u can email the HR personnel to clarify, they r v fast and efficient in their replies, and they answer all queries, even for candidates who are not selected.

My situation is slightly similar. After psychometric test, I received an email stating that I am not further shortlisted for an interview but they have assessed my application to be favourable n would like to retain me in their system. I was also told to email them if I find any suitable post or they will contact me if there are any suitable post. To me, I thought it was a very polite way of saying they are rejecting me cuz u didnt do good enough.

Nonetheless, I scrolled through the list and reapply another role which I have relevant experience. I emailed HR to ask if I need to reapply but was told that I only need to email them my interested post. I did both anyway. Within 3 days, I was asked to go down for an interview and subsequently unit preview. Was even offered a senior executive post, so I think if u make it thru the psychometric test, u shld be qualify, u probably need to apply another role which u r more confident of getting. Suggest u email and apply online. Mindef HR are the nicest people around, so dont be afraid to email them to seek clarification.

Hi,

I applied IT positions, those which they stated "Fresh Graduate" are welcome and did Psychometric Test in July 2013.

However, I received email stating that I was not further shortlisted for interview.

I have less than 1 year of working experience.

I am still interested in joining them but I wonder what is the email to contact the HR?

Is it the email address which they asked me to schedule for the psychometric test?

I will be very thankful if you could advice me.

Thank you very much!

Unregistered 29-07-2013 10:37 AM

comprehends rectssu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40465)
Hi,

I applied IT positions, those which they stated "Fresh Graduate" are welcome and did Psychometric Test in July 2013.

However, I received email stating that I was not further shortlisted for interview.

I am still interested in joining them but I wonder what is the email to contact the HR?

Is it the email address which they asked me to schedule for the psychometric test?

Thank you very much!

you can drop them your questions at the website's career section, there's a page to contact them. They will get back to you pretty quickly.

Unregistered 29-07-2013 11:22 AM

Hi, has anyone who took the psychometric test this July received any call or email from the hr dept? I took the test around mid July but have yet to receive any reply from them. I wanted to ask the hr dept but was advised not to do so by the test administrator, and instead to wait for the call from them if I was shortlisted. Wondering if anyone knows how long does it take for them to reply after taking the test?

Thanks!

Unregistered 29-07-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40465)
Hi,

Thank you very much!

Did they say they will retain u in their system for future references on other suitable posts? If yes, they would have included an email add in the email itself for u to seek clarification. Otherwise, it maybbe becuz the psychometric tests u did deemed u unsuitable for the job, and u have a window period of one year before u can be considered for future application. That's what I gathered fron other forumers and readings.

Dont despair, u can actually google for the HR email address/number but wouldn't suggest u call becuz they r v busy and it's kinda bothering to keep getting phone queries. U can try emailing them or posting a queston via their website, they reply fast.

Dont worry abt not being called up.. I waited for 3 weeks before they got back to me on an interview date...

Unregistered 29-07-2013 05:52 PM

Unit Preview

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can share some information on how a unit preview will be like? Like what do we have to prepare for a unit preview? :D

Unregistered 29-07-2013 09:15 PM

Reply from HR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40490)
Hi, has anyone who took the psychometric test this July received any call or email from the hr dept? I took the test around mid July but have yet to receive any reply from them. I wanted to ask the hr dept but was advised not to do so by the test administrator, and instead to wait for the call from them if I was shortlisted. Wondering if anyone knows how long does it take for them to reply after taking the test?

Thanks!

Hi,

I did the psychometric test on July 2013 too. I received rejection email for my application second week after I took the test. If you did not receive any email, means good news. Because no news = good news! All the best!

Unregistered 29-07-2013 09:22 PM

Application Result

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40501)
Did they say they will retain u in their system for future references on other suitable posts? If yes, they would have included an email add in the email itself for u to seek clarification. Otherwise, it maybbe becuz the psychometric tests u did deemed u unsuitable for the job, and u have a window period of one year before u can be considered for future application. That's what I gathered fron other forumers and readings.

Dont despair, u can actually google for the HR email address/number but wouldn't suggest u call becuz they r v busy and it's kinda bothering to keep getting phone queries. U can try emailing them or posting a queston via their website, they reply fast.

Dont worry abt not being called up.. I waited for 3 weeks before they got back to me on an interview date...

Hi,

Thanks for the sharing!

The email they wrote to me only say, "Thank you for your interest in joining MINDEF. We have gone through your application and regret to inform you that you have not been further shortlisted. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours."

So I think they never keep my record for future position.

Unregistered 29-07-2013 10:46 PM

to

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

For my case I feel that my newer application might not even be processed cos I didnt pass the final interview round. Like from their point of view why would they want me when I didnt pass the final round might as well see id the first timers can do well... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40440)

Unregistered 30-07-2013 08:25 AM

If u have made it through to the interview, it generally means u have the potential to be a dxo. If u didnt get thru the interview, it probably means that the position u have applied have more suitable candidates and u can apply for other posts which u r more confident of getting. It doesnt mean that u can get thru the interview means that u r not gd enuff, sometimes it may be that the position u applied have overwhelming no of candidates n there r better candidates than u.

Unit review is the final round of interview. For me, there were 4 of us and only 1 got thru. It was an interview with all the commanders of the unit to decide on a common candidate to pick. Basically they would aldy have a rough idea on who they were going to pick during 2nd interview and so they will round up the best few to attend a las round of interview with other commanders and see who they were gonna pick. Before I went to the unit preview, the dxos, secretary and commanders actually aldy discussed abt me. I was rather funny during my second interview. So look out for cues and clues and u will def know if they wan u during the unit preview. Honestly, b forthcoming and polite. Try to be witty and funny...

After unit preview u will receive email/calls on e day itself in ur preference for the post (I.e navy, army or airforce) and within a week they will call u to see if u r keen on e unit u choose. No calls= no offers. Security clearance is a month....

Unregistered 30-07-2013 02:59 PM

hi all

just to check, for those who went for the psychometric test, and had to fill in the personal particulars form, who did you list under referees?

Cos for their forms they require detailed information like referee's NRIC, home address, Chinese name etc. I don't have all these.. my referees are all ex bosses etc

Unregistered 30-07-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40527)
If u have made it through to the interview, it generally means u have the potential to be a dxo. If u didnt get thru the interview, it probably means that the position u have applied have more suitable candidates and u can apply for other posts which u r more confident of getting. It doesnt mean that u can get thru the interview means that u r not gd enuff, sometimes it may be that the position u applied have overwhelming no of candidates n there r better candidates than u.

Unit review is the final round of interview. For me, there were 4 of us and only 1 got thru. It was an interview with all the commanders of the unit to decide on a common candidate to pick. Basically they would aldy have a rough idea on who they were going to pick during 2nd interview and so they will round up the best few to attend a las round of interview with other commanders and see who they were gonna pick. Before I went to the unit preview, the dxos, secretary and commanders actually aldy discussed abt me. I was rather funny during my second interview. So look out for cues and clues and u will def know if they wan u during the unit preview. Honestly, b forthcoming and polite. Try to be witty and funny...

After unit preview u will receive email/calls on e day itself in ur preference for the post (I.e navy, army or airforce) and within a week they will call u to see if u r keen on e unit u choose. No calls= no offers. Security clearance is a month....

Woah one month??? I am gng for my medical checkup soon. How long after will they give u the official offer with pay and benefits?

Unregistered 31-07-2013 11:50 AM

The process differs. For me, I was informed of my salary and asked to go for medical clearance the following week. Received another call for me to sign the contract on e day I went for medical clearance. Think it depends, most will do medical first. Probably becuz im starting work soon and they sort of took a shorter time to clear for my case.

Character referees can be ur frenz.. I put down my best friends' info.. I dont think the HR called anyway.

Unregistered 31-07-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40606)
The process differs. For me, I was informed of my salary and asked to go for medical clearance the following week. Received another call for me to sign the contract on e day I went for medical clearance. Think it depends, most will do medical first. Probably becuz im starting work soon and they sort of took a shorter time to clear for my case.

Character referees can be ur frenz.. I put down my best friends' info.. I dont think the HR called anyway.

my referees are past superiors but I don't have their personal details like NRIC, home address etc. Is it ok to omit these details on the form?

Unregistered 31-07-2013 06:24 PM

Hi. May I know how much is the salary for a fresh graduate with a bachelor's of arts (pass with merit)? No prior exp. HR job applied.

Thanks!

Unregistered 31-07-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40608)
my referees are past superiors but I don't have their personal details like NRIC, home address etc. Is it ok to omit these details on the form?

You can leave it blank when you submit. But if you get short listed they will still ask you to fill in those parts again

Unregistered 31-07-2013 07:23 PM

how long from the day of site preview to the day they may offer me the job? (Time span)

Few days or a week?

Unregistered 02-08-2013 11:50 AM

Character referee need not be ex bosses, friends will do. They asked for supervisors' contact in one column of the form which doesnt require ic number or add...

If u get selected for the unit preview, they r very efficient in getting back to u if u do get selected. Usually u will receive a call on e day itself with rgds to ur preference (I.e army, navy or airforce) and they will get back to u on the approval in less than a week. Mine took 4 days and I received a call on sun afternn. They do work on irregular hrs...

Salary is confidential, but if u must know, the website states clearly that bachelor arts with no prior experience starts from 2590 unless u applied for specialised roles. Im sure there's still room for negotiations when salary is a concern. Nothing much the HR can do as the higher management has the final say.

Unregistered 02-08-2013 12:39 PM

Omg... I didnt complete the first test (comprehension). I left 15 qns to do! I finished test 2 though... would I still be given a chance??

Unregistered 02-08-2013 03:10 PM

Haha I didnt finished too, only 45 out of 60qns.. the colonel told me during unit preview that it is jus a test to see if u r suitable for the post, they do take results into consideration but only for references purposes. Dont worry, if ur prior experience/edn backgrd is suitable, u will still b suitable. I got the job offer and im starting work next week. Best of luck.

Unregistered 03-08-2013 07:37 PM

any idea what questions they ask during panel interview?

Unregistered 05-08-2013 06:18 PM

for those who got offers, did they call up your past/current superiors, and referees?

Unregistered 05-08-2013 09:50 PM

July Psychometric

Took my psychometric test earli july. Till now still no news. Going to be 4weeks. Those who are not shortlisted further gets an email. Do all gets an email if not shortlisted? No news means i can expect good news soon? Waiting is killing...

Unregistered 07-08-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40840)
Took my psychometric test earli july. Till now still no news. Going to be 4weeks. Those who are not shortlisted further gets an email. Do all gets an email if not shortlisted? No news means i can expect good news soon? Waiting is killing...

I took mine ard 2nd week of July, no news too, without email. From what I gathered from this forum, I guess no news is good news. I understand the anxiety from the wait, so I took up a temp job to stop myself from focusing too much on the wait.

Unregistered 07-08-2013 05:40 PM

There r 2 panel interviews, 2nd round involves a HR personnel and commanders from different bases. HR personnel asked HR qns like 'tell me abt urself' and the commanders asked why u wana switch jobs and technical stuffs. 3rd interview, they asked abt ur views on current affairs and political issues. Not hard to answer, mostly qns like 'what do u think makes a gd employer?', 'which ministry is the best?' Jus give politically correct answer but dont fake too much...

No they didnt call up any of my ex bosses. I knw cux I checked with them...

Unregistered 07-08-2013 09:20 PM

whether you are shortlisted or not, mindef would send you the email. so if you have not received the email, they are just processing. dont worry. :)

anyone who went for the interview on monday (for ns relations) got called already? i felt like i didnt do well for my interview, but sometimes you just dont know their criteria...

Unregistered 12-08-2013 04:31 PM

Any questions updates on getting phone calls?

haiz2006 20-08-2013 10:11 AM

Hi all

I have applied for Head(NS relations) as first choice and manager(plans) 2nd choice. With 3 years of private and public experience, I was short listed for PT just 1 day after I sent in application. For NS relations it stated 6 years working experience but I only have 3, but I have vast experience handling Ns men during my service days NsF. Taking NS men too.. How much pay should I expect?

And how would I know what I was short listed for? I am more inclined to the head (Ns relation) position and I forgot one more position I have applied for because I tot that was not important.. Where can I find my application what I have submitted before?

Will my application be expedited if I have done PT and submitted all required documents on actual day? Please help...anybody applied for Head(Ns relations)?
Ya we might be vying the same post but I am okay :)

Unregistered 20-08-2013 02:18 PM

Manager (plans)

Manager (plans)

You assist in developing, managing and reviewing frameworks, systems and processes in the areas of research and technology, knowledge management, technology security and business continuity. You also liaise with various organisations for compilation of reports, prepare annual business plans and reports as well as develop human capital in the capability development community. Your challenge lies in keeping abreast of MINDEF’s policies and processes to provide advice and propose changes.

Requirement

You must have a Degree, preferably in Science or Engineering, with at least 2 years’ working experience in developing frameworks and processes for technology management. Possession of strong communication, analytical, time-management and interpersonal skills is essential.

What is this role really about???

Unregistered 21-08-2013 01:14 AM

I received an email asking me to go for the phsychometric test and I've reverted back to the mentioned personnel stated in the email. I'm a mid career and I think I like the MINDEF job very well eversince I'm out of the RSAF since 2011.

I've the following experiences :
10 Yrs in RSAF regular (Diploma)
Graduated with 2nd Upper, NTU in 2010 and ORD in 2011
A*STAR for 15 months and stats board (11 months)

In total, I've more than 10 years experiences, be it in Diploma level and Graduate level. Can you advise of the possible pay and the grade that I will be getting?