Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 20-08-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99514)
The thing is salary will stay stagnant at 7K + at the max for average performer. That is insufficient if one has family and kids. Private sector can allow for growth into the 5-digit bracket.

Actually it depends on the industry, company, role and also the progression itself. 5 digit bracket is possible if you reach a certain number of years. But of course you must take into account the whole package instead of just your monthly pay.

Unregistered 21-08-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99670)
Actually it depends on the industry, company, role and also the progression itself. 5 digit bracket is possible if you reach a certain number of years. But of course you must take into account the whole package instead of just your monthly pay.

So how's the whole package like for dxo? Just wanna ask around to see if it is worth applying.

Unregistered 21-08-2017 10:31 PM

Hi, anyone faces the same situation as me? I am a private deg holder with no prior experience. I applied for both diploma level and deg level positions (no exp required). However, I wasn't even called up to any PT.. :(

Unregistered 22-08-2017 01:44 PM

Mindef does not recognize private degree holder. Hence you are not called for PT

Unregistered 22-08-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99678)
So how's the whole package like for dxo? Just wanna ask around to see if it is worth applying.

For local Uni grad, and average performer: Once reach salary ceiling (this will take 10 to 12 years), per annum 120K

Unregistered 23-08-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99619)
hi there. if you are really interested in the job, you should try again.

The post you see online is just a generic name. the job offer may be not in the same location as the one you visited. You do stand a chance. i myself was rejected for my first post and i immediately re-applied and got another interview and got hired.

HiHi,

I will be going for the PT on Sep17. I attended the PT last year Aug16 and got a unsuccessful email and mentioned to reapply again only 1 year later. In my own opinion, the test is a killer to me. I am slow and did not manage to finish all question.I have no confidence for the test and is in my mid career age. I am currently working in a Min for less than 2mths only and felt not suitable.

Knowing the process would take long as you will not know if you r successful for next round of interview after the PT. I have tried searching for test guide other than the sample provided in the DXO web. Anyone here able to share more?

Thx

saiyan2005 23-08-2017 10:02 AM

Do they accept acca?? I applied a few finance role yesterday

Unregistered 24-08-2017 04:55 PM

To share more details about the psychometric test - total of 3 segments (I did the test several years ago and they are still using the same booklets lol):

(i) Verbal reasoning
Duration: practice qns 10min + actual test 30min = total 40min
No. of qns: 60 (excluding practice qns)
There are 15 short passages of varying topics, with 4 qns accompanying each passage. This means you have about 30s to answer each qn (not including time taken to read each passage). Hence most people will not complete this segment.

[Break 5min]

(ii) Raven's progressive matrices
Duration: practice qns ~5min + actual test 20min = total 25min
Majority of the qns are very straightforward and you shouldn't have any issue completing at least 90% of this segment if you're of reasonably sound mind.

[Break 5min]

(iii) Personality test
Duration: ~45min (untimed)
No. of qns: 185 (including ~15 problem-solving qns at the end)
No time pressure for this segment so pretty much everyone would be able to finish this easily.

PS/ In the confirmation email it states for the candidate to be seated by 0815–0830h. But if you're running late, not to worry as the administrator will close the door only at 0900h sharp. But it's good to arrive on time as you can calm yourself down and prepare by shading your personal details on the OMR answer sheets.

Unregistered 25-08-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99747)
To share more details about the psychometric test - total of 3 segments (I did the test several years ago and they are still using the same booklets lol):

(i) Verbal reasoning
Duration: practice qns 10min + actual test 30min = total 40min
There are 15 short passages of varying topics, with 4 qns accompanying each passage. This means you have about 30s to answer each qn (not including time taken to read each passage). Hence most people will not complete this segment.

[Break 5min]

(ii) Raven's progressive matrices
Duration: practice qns ~5min + actual test 20min = total 25min
Majority of the qns are very straightforward and you shouldn't have any issue completing at least 90% of this segment if you're of reasonably sound mind.

[Break 5min]

(iii) Personality test
Duration: ~45min (untimed)
No. of qns: 185 (including ~15 problem-solving qns at the end)
No time pressure for this segment so pretty much everyone would be able to finish this easily.

PS/ In the confirmation email it states for the candidate to be seated by 0815–0830h. But if you're running late, not to worry as the administrator will close the door only at 0900h sharp. But it's good to arrive on time as you can calm yourself down and prepare by shading your personal details on the OMR answer sheets.

Hi, thx for sharing. Did u manage to get a post that u applied after taking the test?

I seated the test but never passed before.

Thx

Unregistered 25-08-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99762)
Hi, thx for sharing. Did u manage to get a post that u applied after taking the test?

I seated the test but never passed before.

Thx

When I applied the first time several yrs ago for a HR exec position, I was invited to an interview but rejected it as I got an offer by another SB.

Unregistered 25-08-2017 12:29 PM

Don't give up. I gone for 2 psychometric tests and after the second one, I am finally called up for interview. Failed the first one and managed to pass the second one after reapplying for another position.

Unregistered 25-08-2017 07:19 PM

May I know how Long do your interview take for the DXO position? Minimally 30 mins?

Unregistered 25-08-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99785)
May I know how Long do your interview take for the DXO position? Minimally 30 mins?

There is a written test which is 30min and my interview is about 20min. I go in and I was so nervous.

Unregistered 26-08-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99789)
There is a written test which is 30min and my interview is about 20min. I go in and I was so nervous.

Same!!! Mine also about 20mins and I only started to feel nervous when I step into the room.

Unregistered 26-08-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99793)
Same!!! Mine also about 20mins and I only started to feel nervous when I step into the room.

Haha really similar to me!! While waiting outside, I am still ok, it is only when I am seated infront of them, my mind started going blank.

Unregistered 29-08-2017 12:04 PM

Anyone knows why does it take HR at least a month (in most cases) to get back to you after the psychometric test? Don't they want to fill their vacancies asap? Seems like a very inefficient process..

Unregistered 29-08-2017 05:16 PM

Can check for a candidate with 2nd upp from NUS, 5 yrs of working exp and no NS, what would be the estimated salary range and DX rank? Thanks!

Unregistered 29-08-2017 05:19 PM

Saw that there are asst manager (type of work) and manger(type of work) both open to fresh grads to apply. Any difference between these two type of posts?

Unregistered 29-08-2017 09:04 PM

Just curious: what should be the expected salary of an assistant director in Mindef?

Unregistered 30-08-2017 08:08 PM

internship

hi, has anyone been through the dec-jan dxo internship? was there a vigorous interview?
what's the job scope? (((are you paid??? haha)))

thanks!

Unregistered 31-08-2017 10:04 AM

Hi will they call or email if you're selected for interview?

Unregistered 31-08-2017 10:52 AM

I've read through the thread and so far there wasn't much info on working locations. Would we be able to find out where we will be posted to based on the position(s) we applied for? Understand that there's no info on the DXO website (probably due to security reasons), but can we email the HR personnel to ask even before applying for the job?

Unregistered 31-08-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99881)
I've read through the thread and so far there wasn't much info on working locations. Would we be able to find out where we will be posted to based on the position(s) we applied for? Understand that there's no info on the DXO website (probably due to security reasons), but can we email the HR personnel to ask even before applying for the job?

DXOs typically work at civilian dominated camps like Depot Road Camp (a.k.a CMPB at DTTB) or MINDEF HQ (Gombak/Bukit Panjang Camp).

Unregistered 31-08-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99883)
DXOs typically work at civilian dominated camps like Depot Road Camp (a.k.a CMPB at DTTB) or MINDEF HQ (Gombak/Bukit Panjang Camp).

Thanks, what are the typical positions for either location? Heard that HR would be posted to CMPB, what about Finance, IT, Comms, etc?

Unregistered 31-08-2017 12:39 PM

I did the psychometric test last week and noticed that in the attendance list where you're required to sign before you enter the room, the last column shows a position that you've applied for. Mine was my 2nd choice out of the 3 - do I assume that I'll be assessed for that position?

Unregistered 31-08-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99886)
Thanks, what are the typical positions for either location? Heard that HR would be posted to CMPB, what about Finance, IT, Comms, etc?

For IT, most of them are stationed at Gombak, especially those pertaining to forensics. As far as I know, there are Finance positions within CMPB and Gombak, so this really depends on the unit/department you are posted to. Comms positions are at CMPB. Research/Organisational Psychologists are at CMPB, whereas Clinical Psychologist would be at the respective units they are deployed to.

Unregistered 31-08-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99888)
I did the psychometric test last week and noticed that in the attendance list where you're required to sign before you enter the room, the last column shows a position that you've applied for. Mine was my 2nd choice out of the 3 - do I assume that I'll be assessed for that position?

Yeah, you are getting assessed for your second choice. But the PT is valid for some time, 1 year or so, I think. So they would still keep your test scores and consider you for your other choices if you do not get shortlisted for your current one.

Unregistered 31-08-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99890)
Yeah, you are getting assessed for your second choice. But the PT is valid for some time, 1 year or so, I think. So they would still keep your test scores and consider you for your other choices if you do not get shortlisted for your current one.

Hmm ok thx.. if I put down a position as a 2nd choice, does it affect my chances against those who put it as 1st?

Unregistered 01-09-2017 11:30 AM

anyone who did the test in aug got called up yet?

Unregistered 02-09-2017 07:51 PM

Is there any way to view the no of vacancies for each position? don't see it on the mindef website not careers@gov..

Unregistered 03-09-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99717)
HiHi,

I will be going for the PT on Sep17. I attended the PT last year Aug16 and got a unsuccessful email and mentioned to reapply again only 1 year later. In my own opinion, the test is a killer to me. I am slow and did not manage to finish all question.I have no confidence for the test and is in my mid career age. I am currently working in a Min for less than 2mths only and felt not suitable.

Knowing the process would take long as you will not know if you r successful for next round of interview after the PT. I have tried searching for test guide other than the sample provided in the DXO web. Anyone here able to share more?

Thx

Not to sugarcoat matters, but there must be a reason why the difficulty level of the psychometric test is as what it is. Mindef would need some sort of filter to sieve through thousands of applicants for an extremely limited number of vacancies. If a candidate is unable to pass the test, then you might not be what Mindef is looking for - can't be they spend limited time and resources to entertain everyone who applied right?

Unregistered 03-09-2017 03:04 PM

Mindef DXO

Hi all, understand that Mindef do not consider candidates from private universities. But what about candidates who are from private universities and have 2 years of research experiences from NTU/NIE? Will they be considered for the Psychologist role?

Unregistered 03-09-2017 09:34 PM

Not 100% impossible but extremely difficult due to stiff competition from local u grads

Unregistered 04-09-2017 01:37 PM

Is there any correlation between the date that the position is posted and your interview?

E.g. Position was posted on Mindef website on 1 Aug > you apply immediately > scheduled for test ~3-4 weeks later > interview ~1 month later
Which means HR takes ~2 months to aggregate candidates for that position before mass interviews?

Unregistered 04-09-2017 04:14 PM

Private degree

Hi All,

Recently went for PT, its been 2 weeks, no reply since, my concern is that im a relevant private degree holder, with 3 years relevant working experience too, what would be my chances to actually score an interview? im keen into joining the force, but in the meantime i do have offers outside waiting for me reply.

Regards,
Unregistered

Unregistered 04-09-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99984)
Hi All,

Recently went for PT, its been 2 weeks, no reply since, my concern is that im a relevant private degree holder, with 3 years relevant working experience too, what would be my chances to actually score an interview? im keen into joining the force, but in the meantime i do have offers outside waiting for me reply.

Regards,
Unregistered

Think this is one of the main issues plaguing all applicants.. Mindef's process is well known to stretch for ages and people might have offers from other companies in the meantime. You'd have to decide yourself if the Mindef position is really what you want - if it's that good for you to forgo other offers for a role that you might not get in the end. You can try emailing Mindef HR to ask how's the status.. depending on their reply you could then decide your next step. Frankly speaking it'll be no loss to Mindef if you decide to withdraw and accept another offer as there'll be many more candidates vying for that position you applied.

Unregistered 04-09-2017 11:07 PM

Hi,anyone knows if there will there be anymore interview during the site preview stage?

Do we have to dress formally for the site preview? Thanks!

Unregistered 05-09-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99994)
Hi,anyone knows if there will there be anymore interview during the site preview stage?

Do we have to dress formally for the site preview? Thanks!

Yes most likely there will be an interview unless you're the only candidate
Good to wear formal

Unregistered 05-09-2017 12:27 PM

Anyone who did the test in Aug got rejection email or interview call yet?

Unregistered 06-09-2017 04:21 PM

error???

anyone unable to email the HR personnel?

got the "because the address couldn't be found." error