Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 21-07-2017 12:41 AM

Salary

May I know what is usually the starting average salary of a DX9 fresh grad with a second upper honours degree from local uni. I applied for a logistic role in MINDEF

Unregistered 22-07-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98734)
Hi there. hope i can shed some light based on my experience.

Working culture depends on your unit/dept itself. Some are administrative in nature, some is project based and some are operational based. If you are in operational based, it will be more time sensitive and 'more stressed' as tempo is high.

work life balance is there if you are those who insist on knocking off work on time. myself, i always choose to OT although no one forces me to. its a personal sort of responsibility. no right or wrong.

pay is always competitive for DXOs. dont expect to get rich though. we are still civil servants and we cant compare to bankers and those who work their way up in the private world. the pay is a gradual increase depending on performance and promotion. there is a ceiling for each grade, and if you dont promote, no increment.

you might be a DX12 for a manager position, a major rank equivalent. myself, im not a DX12. so i cant really comment on salary. but if i were to estimate the range, it would probably be 6-8k? but at this rank, be prepared to work your ass off. MINDEF money not so easy to earn as most would think. each position is optimized to squeeze you dry for the pay you would be getting.

Wouldn't agree with the point. Some DXO jobs dealing with administrative work are paid over the top salary as compared with their actual output. A lot depends on where you are posted and the culture over there.

If you are posted to a "retirement home", you can expect more work life balance than other DXOs of similar "rank".

Unregistered 22-07-2017 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98862)
May I know what is usually the starting average salary of a DX9 fresh grad with a second upper honours degree from local uni. I applied for a logistic role in MINDEF

not enough information.

males with NS - about 4.2k (based on 1.5 years ago)
females- about 3.9k (based on 1.5 years ago)

good luck with the logistics role. tough job tough role. if in airforce, on avg, 1.5 years they will quit. mindef culture is extremely unfocused on primary role/job.

Unregistered 22-07-2017 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98881)
Wouldn't agree with the point. Some DXO jobs dealing with administrative work are paid over the top salary as compared with their actual output. A lot depends on where you are posted and the culture over there.

If you are posted to a "retirement home", you can expect more work life balance than other DXOs of similar "rank".

No idea which point you did not agree with.

at no point did the previous poster mention pay depends on actual output. over the top salary depends on rank, not the job they hold.

no idea what you meant by MORE work life balance. work life balance is always there if you knock off on time. we may have difference definitions on it. if you meant job scope, as mentioned, some are more operational than others while some are more administrative. Hence, there is different level of stress.

Unregistered 22-07-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 95350)
Anyone can advise if there's a chance I might get in? Final year student with first class grades but received a police warning letter in 2011 for something stupid, no criminal record, no charges or conviction.

Please advise me. Thanks in advance

Do try. If it is something like criminal misappropriation it is still ok.

Unregistered 24-07-2017 05:51 PM

Anyone knows if it's guaranteed you will go for the psychometric test as long as you've applied? Are there also instances where they just skip right to the interview (and under what circumstances does this happen)?

Unregistered 24-07-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98922)
Anyone knows if it's guaranteed you will go for the psychometric test as long as you've applied? Are there also instances where they just skip right to the interview (and under what circumstances does this happen)?

As long as you have a degree from a local university with a good honours, you shld be guaranteed for a psychometric test

As for skipping right to the interview, requires more information and the role you applied for

Unregistered 25-07-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98929)
As long as you have a degree from a local university with a good honours, you shld be guaranteed for a psychometric test

As for skipping right to the interview, requires more information and the role you applied for

Hmm I submitted my application ~1.5 weeks ago but no response to go for the PT. I meet those criteria so thought it's quite odd. I applied for a policy role.

Unregistered 25-07-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98932)
Hmm I submitted my application ~1.5 weeks ago but no response to go for the PT. I meet those criteria so thought it's quite odd. I applied for a policy role.

I waited 3 weeks plus for my PT test. They do take a longer time to process nowadays cause there are lots of university students graduating.
Are you a fresh grad? Some roles are not open for fresh grads

Unregistered 25-07-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98934)
I waited 3 weeks plus for my PT test. They do take a longer time to process nowadays cause there are lots of university students graduating.

Nah I'm not fresh grad. So you waited 3 weeks before they contacted you to schedule for PT? That's not the norm is it?

Unregistered 25-07-2017 04:28 PM

Hi,

I went for the PT on 18 Jul (last tues). no news yet...

Unregistered 26-07-2017 03:09 PM

I am going for the PT next week,

Dress code is smart casual- Polo Tee with jeans okay?

Unregistered 26-07-2017 03:21 PM

Is there a minimum waiting time before reapplication? Or possible to keep spamming until they accept? :D

Unregistered 26-07-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98964)
I am going for the PT next week,

Dress code is smart casual- Polo Tee with jeans okay?

Yes PT is like a school exam, no interview

Unregistered 26-07-2017 03:46 PM

des HETRES

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98966)
Yes PT is like a school exam, no interview

thanks, understand it is just taking the tests and nothing else.
Just do not want to under-dress~

Unregistered 26-07-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98940)
Hi,

I went for the PT on 18 Jul (last tues). no news yet...

Judging from the previous replies in this thread, it can take at least a month before they contact you for an interview

Unregistered 27-07-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98934)

Finally got the email to go for PT! After almost 2 weeks...

Unregistered 31-07-2017 11:35 AM

Dco

Hi , anybody within the DCO of MINDEF currently? Can share where is the working location , attire and workload like ?

Unregistered 31-07-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99101)
Hi , anybody within the DCO of MINDEF currently? Can share where is the working location , attire and workload like ?

Would like to know this as well..

Unregistered 31-07-2017 04:35 PM

Hi please advise!

Anyone knows how much is the starting pay now for fresh grad?
Female, 2nd upp, local uni
Thinking of applying for a psychologist position

Do I enter as a DX9?
Roughly how long will it take to be promoted to DX10? and how is the salary like?

TIA!

Unregistered 01-08-2017 02:39 PM

Just scheduled for my PT 3 weeks later.. what a long wait

Unregistered 01-08-2017 10:05 PM

Unit Preview

Anyone had the experience of going for Unit Preview, and then got rejected after that?

I would have thought that candidates are almost 'confirmed' when they get to the unit preview stage.

Unregistered 02-08-2017 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99166)
Anyone had the experience of going for Unit Preview, and then got rejected after that?

I would have thought that candidates are almost 'confirmed' when they get to the unit preview stage.

you must stand in the shoes of the hiring department. if they only pick you for unit preview and you rejected the job, they must restart the whole process again.

i am them, i would probably pick my best 3. at least when 1 or 2 rejects the job, i can get my man and start training him up asap. Thats the way how MINDEF works. the applicant also have the full rights not to take the job as much as they decide not to hire you.

and yes, 'almost confirmed', but you haven signed the contract.

Unregistered 02-08-2017 07:15 PM

completed PT 4 weeks ago but no rejection yet from HR. what is going on? should i continue waiting?

Unregistered 04-08-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99188)
completed PT 4 weeks ago but no rejection yet from HR. what is going on? should i continue waiting?

based on previous replies, no emails means continue waiting.

Does not hurt to continue job hunting while waiting.

Unregistered 04-08-2017 10:34 AM

Just to share PT experience

Test 1 : Verbal Reasoning
10 minute practise / 30 mins test
60 qn

Test 2: Reasoning (Progressive Matrices)
5 minute practise / 20 mins test
5 sets of 12 qn - Total 60qn

Test 3 : Personality Test
No time limit
170 qn + 15 qn - Total : 185qn
The last 15 qn is a mix of logical / maths qns (paper given for any calculation needed)

Unregistered 04-08-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99166)

Hi did you receive a call to tell you that you are rejected? I went for the Unit Preview nearly 3 week back, called HR last week but they told me the unit hasn't gotten back to them. Ya I thought the Unit Preview is like "more or less" confirmed too.

Unregistered 08-08-2017 06:07 PM

I got an email asking me to register for the PT today (Tue). I submitted the application on Mon. That's pretty fast compared to what I see in this thread.

Unregistered 08-08-2017 08:13 PM

Hey guys,

Just to share my timeline..
Send application on 6July
Received a call on 25 July
Attended first interview on 31July
Received call from hiring manager on 4 Aug
Site preview on 7 Aug
Verbal offer on 8 Aug..

Unregistered 10-08-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99356)
Hey guys,

Just to share my timeline..
Send application on 6July
Received a call on 25 July
Attended first interview on 31July
Received call from hiring manager on 4 Aug
Site preview on 7 Aug
Verbal offer on 8 Aug..

That's fast! i went for the PT on 18 July.. no news since. Email the HR but no reply. maybe didn't get le.
which position did you apply for? if same then i can give up. haha.

cymcollin 11-08-2017 01:08 AM

Currently im working in a stat board but would like to apply for DXO position. I was told that mindef would only accept the local U degrees.

1) Would like to check if anybody knows is that true as my degree is from Murdoch Kaplan?

2) if it is true that only the local U degrees are accepted would HR consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences (previously known as SIM) as one of the local U?

3) And if the HR do consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences as local U would they still view it unfavorably given my degree is not from local?

4) I would be around 40 years after getting my masters, not sure if age then be an issue?

Hope someone here can enlighten me as i do not want to waste my time and money on a master only to find out it is not going to help me in applying for a DXO position, thanks

Unregistered 12-08-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cymcollin (Post 99401)
Currently im working in a stat board but would like to apply for DXO position. I was told that mindef would only accept the local U degrees.

1) Would like to check if anybody knows is that true as my degree is from Murdoch Kaplan?

2) if it is true that only the local U degrees are accepted would HR consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences (previously known as SIM) as one of the local U?

3) And if the HR do consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences as local U would they still view it unfavorably given my degree is not from local?

4) I would be around 40 years after getting my masters, not sure if age then be an issue?

Hope someone here can enlighten me as i do not want to waste my time and money on a master only to find out it is not going to help me in applying for a DXO position, thanks

hi, i am not an expert and also quite relatively new to mindef. so take my words as just an opinion.

However, from what i see, if you have relevant experience and if your masters is relevant to the position you are applying, you definitely have a chance. for your age, if you apply to a executive position, you might lose out to fresh local grads. if you apply as mid-career to a mid management position with relevant experience and degree, then have better chance.

age is no issue if you bring value to the job. the reason there are DXOs is because MINDEF needs expertise from the private sector. a soldier can only do so much without outside experience.

good luck.

Unregistered 12-08-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98884)
No idea which point you did not agree with.

at no point did the previous poster mention pay depends on actual output. over the top salary depends on rank, not the job they hold.

no idea what you meant by MORE work life balance. work life balance is always there if you knock off on time. we may have difference definitions on it. if you meant job scope, as mentioned, some are more operational than others while some are more administrative. Hence, there is different level of stress.

It is common to see DXOs working in xxx to go for breakfast after 9am during working hours. I wouldn't state the particular address but most people know that assuming salary is the same across all 2nd upper graduates in stat boards, DXOs have less workload.

4.2k for eating breakfast after 9am and knocking off work early in the name of unknown "meeting" is a good deal.

Unregistered 12-08-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99109)
Hi please advise!

Anyone knows how much is the starting pay now for fresh grad?
Female, 2nd upp, local uni
Thinking of applying for a psychologist position

Do I enter as a DX9?
Roughly how long will it take to be promoted to DX10? and how is the salary like?

TIA!

All uni grads enter as DX9. Promotion to DX10 is usually within 2 years (some within 1.5 years) assuming nothing major happens. Just do your stuff diligently for 2 years and you get the promotion.

Unregistered 13-08-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99434)
All uni grads enter as DX9. Promotion to DX10 is usually within 2 years (some within 1.5 years) assuming nothing major happens. Just do your stuff diligently for 2 years and you get the promotion.

The thing is salary will stay stagnant at 7K + at the max for average performer. That is insufficient if one has family and kids. Private sector can allow for growth into the 5-digit bracket.

Unregistered 16-08-2017 04:36 PM

Anyone has any info on DCO (Defence Cyber Organisatio), e.g. working location, culture? Thanks!

Unregistered 17-08-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99514)
The thing is salary will stay stagnant at 7K + at the max for average performer. That is insufficient if one has family and kids. Private sector can allow for growth into the 5-digit bracket.

It is a gamble in the private sector. Most people don't break 5-figure per month. If you want a stable future, choose civil service. They offer substantial bursary to civil servants' kids and have one of the best overall package in the industry accounting for leaves and whatnot.

One thing to note is that, when you graduate with a 2nd lower from NUS/NTU/SMU, you are a job taker, not a job chooser. You have to be realistic with your capability.

Unregistered 17-08-2017 11:40 AM

Hi, I have previously passed the PT, attended interview, unit preview for a DXO post earlier this year. However, was not offered the job and it was offered to another candidate. I now see that the same post is advertised in mindef dxo website. Do I stand a chance to be considered again if i were to apply for the same DXO post or any other relevant post? Or should I not waste time applying for the same post? Thanks

Unregistered 18-08-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99583)
Hi, I have previously passed the PT, attended interview, unit preview for a DXO post earlier this year. However, was not offered the job and it was offered to another candidate. I now see that the same post is advertised in mindef dxo website. Do I stand a chance to be considered again if i were to apply for the same DXO post or any other relevant post? Or should I not waste time applying for the same post? Thanks

hi there. if you are really interested in the job, you should try again.

The post you see online is just a generic name. the job offer may be not in the same location as the one you visited. You do stand a chance. i myself was rejected for my first post and i immediately re-applied and got another interview and got hired.

Unregistered 20-08-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99582)
It is a gamble in the private sector. Most people don't break 5-figure per month. If you want a stable future, choose civil service. They offer substantial bursary to civil servants' kids and have one of the best overall package in the industry accounting for leaves and whatnot.

One thing to note is that, when you graduate with a 2nd lower from NUS/NTU/SMU, you are a job taker, not a job chooser. You have to be realistic with your capability.

The key is to get into a bank role (either local or foreign both ok, back office also can). Work steadily and you will get promoted to AVP within 5 years. From here onwards, salary will only accelerate. Change job n you will get another pay hike with the banking experience.