Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 01-02-2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200827)
accountancy grad how many can get into consulting firms or business development roles? I'm talking to those average performance students lei uncle.

to even qualify for these business development roles, its second upper and above (25th percentile) of the cohort, cant be tom dick harry from ite qualify for it what.

honest truth, accountancy is hard to get good paying at start unless miraculously got into tech role in faang

biz development roles not even that hard to get. biz analyst roles also. know plenty of people with third class or second lower getting into such roles. Even those in smaller firms also pay better with more interesting work. Even those acc grads from **** sch can get in. The difference is that all these people actively did multiple internships in uni. Of course if you choose to lepak in uni and never build your cv properly you can only blame yourself for being dumb. Then suck thumb go big 4 audit no need come here beg for validation

Unregistered 01-02-2022 04:38 PM

Quote:

accountancy grad how many can get into consulting firms or business development roles? I'm talking to those average performance students lei uncle.

to even qualify for these business development roles, its second upper and above (25th percentile) of the cohort, cant be tom dick harry from ite qualify for it what.

honest truth, accountancy is hard to get good paying at start unless miraculously got into tech role in faang

you lost touch already

Unregistered 01-02-2022 07:01 PM

accoutnancy grad should aim for banking positions

Unregistered 01-02-2022 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200867)
accoutnancy grad should aim for banking positions

doubt many are capable to make the switch

Unregistered 01-02-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

You are an accountancy grad and not in Big4, or actually none of it?

I manage to get something good (non audit/compliance related) after working 2 years plus in Big4. But just because I have started in Big4, I don't think there is a need to keep thinking that Big4 is the path for accounting grads if your class of honors is not great. Second uppers are actually not that uncommon (in uni or big4) anyway.

Doubt accountancy graduates can get into tech role in FAANG, unless you did heavy coding in uni and before. But there are definitely other choices that accountancy graduates can choose to explore besides Big4.

Unregistered 01-02-2022 07:54 PM

Tbh big 4 experience is good but only to a certain extent
ppl who tell u that it is the ONLY successful career path for an acctng grad that wants to do sth accting related are total bullsh*t or HR/SM/max loh hei

Unregistered 01-02-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200873)
doubt many are capable to make the switch

exactly. look at the profile of accountancy vs a finance student. Not i am stereotyping accounting student but usually they're more reserved as compared to finance student who are outspoken. In addition, it is challenging for an average accountancy student without any major to jump to finance related role unless he/she has a major in finance that allows them to switch

Unregistered 01-02-2022 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200877)
You are an accountancy grad and not in Big4, or actually none of it?

I manage to get something good (non audit/compliance related) after working 2 years plus in Big4. But just because I have started in Big4, I don't think there is a need to keep thinking that Big4 is the path for accounting grads if your class of honors is not great. Second uppers are actually not that uncommon (in uni or big4) anyway.

Doubt accountancy graduates can get into tech role in FAANG, unless you did heavy coding in uni and before. But there are definitely other choices that accountancy graduates can choose to explore besides Big4.

i am working towards this area too once i got all my relevant certifications ready

Unregistered 01-02-2022 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200886)
exactly. look at the profile of accountancy vs a finance student. Not i am stereotyping accounting student but usually they're more reserved as compared to finance student who are outspoken. In addition, it is challenging for an average accountancy student without any major to jump to finance related role unless he/she has a major in finance that allows them to switch

Depends on your school. NUS will be able to take sufficient modules in other major (finance, marketing or other). Believe SMU has a similar coverage given it is a 4 year programme

NTU acc does take some foundation finance modules too? Which to be honest is more than enough.

The NTU 3 year direct honours is good. But it sorts of bring people onto the default path of Big4 especially if one has yet to learn to take more initiative to explore what he wants for his career. It is somewhat understandable since the uni stage is an awkward phase of being a student and working adult.

Unregistered 01-02-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200814)
After 5 years can make 6k. Is it that bad really?

It’s all relative.

Compared to diploma holders, non degree holders, non educated monolingual boomers? It’s fantastic.

But compared to doctors, engineers, SWE, bankers, scholars? Not even in the same league.

You also can’t just compare a pass degree to a first class honors.

Or someone with a bland CV to someone who has been buffing up achievements since Year 1.

So many variables, you can’t just make a sweeping statement.