Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197581)
Someone needs to convince himself that doubling down on B4 as a career choice was a good move, I see.

Stop mixing around only with people from B4, and actually talk to other professionals outside, buddy.

Actually, don't. It'll just depress u.

Keep hustling for that 15 year 200k pm. LMAOO

Those who have not looked for a job outside Big4, tends to hold the view that there is no good time to leave. I still remember my friend asking me if life outside Big4 is bad, when I am making more, working less, and doing things that I like.

Not saying that you can't make audit your profession. If you like it, stay in it. But there is no need to treat it as the One Job.

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:11 PM

15 years is around partner/director level already (~300k). Very very rare stuck at SM unless voluntary

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197592)
15 years is around partner/director level already (~300k). Very very rare stuck at SM unless voluntary

At this point the focus is on being equity partner already (350k-1m/annum). Compliance will never ever reach that superscale

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197592)

There are people who are SM / director (my Big4 doesn't use this) for life and not voluntary. By then, they should have gone to commercial for the better pay/hour balance, but it takes a while for some of them to realize it (or to find a suitable one).

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:29 PM

Are there any partners who are from commercial? I.e, maybe big 4 for the first few years, then to commercial then back to B4 as a partner?

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197590)
Read like 100 pages of this thread. As a y2 ACC student maintaining fch I really dk where to go anymore. Sucks cause i actually really like doing ACC and the best option (talked to many mnc controllers about this) is still to go through B4.

then just go be a slave lor. just know that private-u and msia uni students are starting off at the same page as u when u grad hehe

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Read like 100 pages of this thread. As a y2 ACC student maintaining fch I really dk where to go anymore. Sucks cause i actually really like doing ACC and the best option (talked to many mnc controllers about this) is still to go through B4.

If you like accounting role, B4 is a feasible route for you cause u can acquire experience auditing various major companies and at the same time prepare to clear the CA exam. Once three years is up and you have successfully obtained the relevant professional qualification, you may then move to a commercial entity to acquire commercial experience. The CA qualification shall place you in a distinct advantage position as you move up the corporate ladder, you should prepare yourself ready to assume senior financial position and double up as a company secretary. Under the company's act, the company secretary must be an accountant or a qualified lawyer. Eventually, you will have exposure to the board which may propel your career even further.

Quote:

If you want to be a controller or finance manager in general in any decent MNC, no choice but to go through Big 4. It is the most straightforward route to take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197598)
Are there any partners who are from commercial? I.e, maybe big 4 for the first few years, then to commercial then back to B4 as a partner?

Back to Big4, straight as partner? Maybe for advisory roles, but less likely for audit.

If you mean went back straight as partner, it will mean a equivalent position switch (e.g. CFO to partner). Ignoring why would anyone make such a switch, the skillset and perspective are actually different. So don't think that will happen.

Unregistered 14-01-2022 03:41 PM

Why does anyone even think that by putting in the time you are guaranteed X rank in Y years? Plenty of scrubs are not even of the requisite calibre or end up dropping out halfway as they don't have the iron in them.