Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 22-01-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198971)
Tbh I don’t really like data analytics / computing
Also not a fan of engineering so my decision was between business /accounting degree
Made the accountancy choice cos it’s a solid skill set to have
A lot of high finance executives actly has bachelor in accounting and continued on to have finance Masters or taken MBA
The moral of the story is don’t start from audit and big 4, never gonna make it
Plus nowadays reputation of nTU accounting really down to the drain
Become big 4 audit factory the big finance bois don’t even bother to organise good networking events in ntu
Yes wish I could know earlier before uni / as undergraduate

To add on to my pt above , if u have friends or siblings choosing courses, either go with ACBS or Business single degree
Accounting single degree nowadays people auto assume u going into big 4 and it’s hard to argue that u have interest in finance otherwise why u not choose banking and finance major
Also, used to be A/AAA now whatever ah Mao ah dog going into with lousy grades , plus the non-3 uni also offering accounting
I have seen some private uni student with average grade joining my team too
Is funny and sad how this industry become so Low standard and budget

Unregistered 22-01-2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198970)
Ntu accounting here. 2nd upper only but managed to get an internship at GS and subsequently got converted. Normal working hours, occasional OT with 5k starting pay. Many of my peers took the lazy way out and didnt bother looking for a better job after they did the typical big4 internship and got the return offer. Most of them are burnt out now as senior but stuck looking for an exit opp. Quite sad for them tbh.

My clients all shifting their accounting functions to Malaysia /India cos it’s cheaper and it’s a trend across all commercial sectors. exit opportunities not as good as before le why should
Company hire an audit senior when half price can hire an experienced accountant in Malaysia who can do the same work

Unregistered 22-01-2022 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198971)
Become big 4 audit factory the big finance bois don’t even bother to organise good networking events in ntu
Yes wish I could know earlier before uni / as undergraduate

Is NTU that bad nowadays? Those finance jobs won't be too hardworking to organise events at NTU since they got enough demand. Probably will just host it in their own offices instead. But if you are talking about IB jobs and etc, an accounting degree is not a must but the knowledge itself is always a plus

An accounting degree can be pivot into a general biz degree and you don't have to focus only on audit jobs as fresh graduates. No need to **** on an accounting degree

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198974)
Is NTU that bad nowadays? Those finance jobs won't be too hardworking to organise events at NTU since they got enough demand. Probably will just host it in their own offices instead. But if you are talking about IB jobs and etc, an accounting degree is not a must but the knowledge itself is always a plus

An accounting degree can be pivot into a general biz degree and you don't have to focus only on audit jobs as fresh graduates. No need to **** on an accounting degree

If u read the first part of my answer u would know I’m not *** on accountancy
In fact , I know GIC head now graduated from ntu accounting
All I say is , nowadays this degree has not updated itself to match the prestige of other courses eg computer science

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198975)
All I say is , nowadays this degree has not updated itself to match the prestige of other courses eg computer science

What prestige?

U mean salary?

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:28 PM

Big 4 usually outearn others at director level and above (about 12 yoe). Starts at a pathetic 3+ k though.

Seeing your career as a marathon, it can make sense to some, but not all. So stop whining la u guys.

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198975)

Comp science has not updated itself too. It is just that it becomes a popular career choice nowadays due to those tech companies, and tech companies are highly profitable or have alot of funding.

I think current accounting or biz sch curriculum actually has some courses on python or other data analytics related tools. I guess that's as much of an update as they can get. But unfortunately, Big4 pay will still remain **** given it is related to audit fees which tends to get competitive

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198977)
Big 4 usually outearn others at director level and above (about 12 yoe). Starts at a pathetic 3+ k though.

Seeing your career as a marathon, it can make sense to some, but not all. So stop whining la u guys.

Hahahaha how many can reach director first

Keep selling goyok!

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198981)
Hahahaha how many can reach director first

Keep selling goyok!

This field is a late game character

But most ppl quit in early or mid game

You need the will and guts to stay.

DiamondAce 22-01-2022 11:55 PM

lol don't blame the degree if you didn't study hard enough.

You could have reached for First Class and opened more doors you know.

Surely that few months of mugging would be easier than doing OT in audit.