Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136916)
i'm from kaplan and SIM kids love to look down on us. the chain never ends. stop being butthurt. local uni are just salty over ivy league, sim will always have inferiority complex against local u.

just focus on yourself.

Yup, just focus on yourself guys.

Pathetic keyboard warriors here coming up with their own hash tags, I mean come on bruh...

Let's not waste our time on these local uni good-for-nothing(s), we are better than this :)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136916)
i'm from kaplan and SIM kids love to look down on us. the chain never ends. stop being butthurt. local uni are just salty over ivy league, sim will always have inferiority complex against local u.

just focus on yourself.

That's rubbish. Just like SIM and Kaplan students. When you dispose something into the trash, who cares about the pecking order. Trash is trash. Rubbish is rubbish. No value. There's no hierarchy between SIM and Kaplan. They are all equally bad. I mean, the entry requirements are the same. Just make sure you can afford the tuition fees.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136938)
That's rubbish. Just like SIM and Kaplan students. When you dispose something into the trash, who cares about the pecking order. Trash is trash. Rubbish is rubbish. No value. There's no hierarchy between SIM and Kaplan. They are all equally bad. I mean, the entry requirements are the same. Just make sure you can afford the tuition fees.

Ok uncle. It’s so late past your sleep time alr go sleep :)

Why so obsessed with SIM or Kaplan? :(

Legit living in your heads rent free HAHAHA 😂

Unregistered 06-06-2020 03:28 AM

SIM-UOL Alumni here.

FCH & passed all three levels of CFA tgt with CAIA on the first try. Currently working at a global asset manager (think Aberdeen, Schroders etc).

These “local uni glory hunters” are probably just frustrated because honestly, no one actually cares where you get your degree from (except for certain Govt roles / FO banking / MBB — “prestige” purposes)

Even so, the aforementioned roles are highly competitive and only take in a few candidates from local uni (excl. Govt sector). As long as you are willing to put in the work (i.e obtain relevant exp/professional certifications etc), you will get there eventually.

Cut out the noise.

Ignore the pathetic trolls here who clearly have nothing better to do than to hug their local uni degree diploma to sleep.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136942)
SIM-UOL Alumni here.

FCH & passed all three levels of CFA tgt with CAIA on the first try. Currently working at a global asset manager (think Aberdeen, Schroders etc).

These “local uni glory hunters” are probably just frustrated because honestly, no one actually cares where you get your degree from (except for certain Govt roles / FO banking / MBB — “prestige” purposes)

Even so, the aforementioned roles are highly competitive and only take in a few candidates from local uni (excl. Govt sector). As long as you are willing to put in the work (i.e obtain relevant exp/professional certifications etc), you will get there eventually.

Cut out the noise.

Ignore the pathetic trolls here who clearly have nothing better to do than to hug their local uni degree diploma to sleep.

Exactly, just like what this guy mentioned, work hard get your soft and hard skills right, once you get through the gatekeeper and secure an interview it is all fair game afterwards.

Salary wise if you would like to compare to local uni, from what i seeing. Top local uni student> top SIM student(not those that went for auditing of course) > above average local uni student > average local uni student > above average SIM student

Just like SIM there are local uni students that does not seem as good as you hope them to be to the point that i would say they are incompetent , i have encountered multiple, usually from FASS, Science and soft engineering courses.

Bottom line, this is your last chance, if you think you are a decent person with a decent IQ that deserves something other than being average, you have to put in all the hardwork now and breakout of it.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 10:47 AM

Would just like to point out that yes, even though most private unis have lax entry requirements, some degrees (esp UOL) are extremely challenging.

You’d be surprised to find out how many UOL students actually switch to another degree programme / give up / take more than 4 years to obtain their degree. Some of them are from top JCs (HCJC, NJC etc) and poly courses (IB, Aerospace, Biomedical etc) btw.

Laugh all you want, but the EMFSS programmes at UOL receive academic direction directly from the LSE and has certain academic rigour to it. Meaning to say, the content is set/regulated by the LSE & the examinations are set, marked and ‘moderated’ by the LSE.

Little known fact, SIM-UOL and LSE/UCL etc (Top UOL member institutions) actually offer 2 fully-funded Masters scholarships to SIM-UOL students every single year.

And no, it is not a scholarship for a UOL Masters accredited course (even though these schemes are available). These are programmes awarded directly by the member institutions (ie LSE/UCL) themselves.

I also know a SIM-UOL grad who scored straight As & is currently doing her graduate degree at Cambridge. Feel free to run a simple LinkedIn search to verify all the above.

Private uni students/grads, let’s prove our worth through actions, not words 👍🏻😄

Unregistered 06-06-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136955)
Would just like to point out that yes, even though most private unis have lax entry requirements, some degrees (esp UOL) are extremely challenging.

You’d be surprised to find out how many UOL students actually switch to another degree programme / give up / take more than 4 years to obtain their degree. Some of them are from top JCs (HCJC, NJC etc) and poly courses (IB, Aerospace, Biomedical etc) btw.

Laugh all you want, but the EMFSS programmes at UOL receive academic direction directly from the LSE and has certain academic rigour to it. Meaning to say, the content is set/regulated by the LSE & the examinations are set, marked and ‘moderated’ by the LSE.

Little known fact, SIM-UOL and LSE/UCL etc (Top UOL member institutions) actually offer 2 fully-funded Masters scholarships to SIM-UOL students every single year.

And no, it is not a scholarship for a UOL Masters accredited course (even though these schemes are available). These are programmes awarded directly by the member institutions (ie LSE/UCL) themselves.

I also know a SIM-UOL grad who scored straight As & is currently doing her graduate degree at Cambridge. Feel free to run a simple LinkedIn search to verify all the above.

Private uni students/grads, let’s prove our worth through actions, not words 👍🏻😄

Dude you are a joke still trying to sell the UOL brand name as "challenging", i am a FCH UOL grad and believe me it is just grinding. My group of friends mostly got FCH with 1 in 2nd upper, we all agree that if we were in a local uni, we would not be able to secure FCH.

It is just a second chance and wake up call for those that didnt do well for A level/Diploma, stop trying to sell it as " extremely challenging ", what is challenging is CFA, this is defintely not as challenging as CFA from my personal experience.

You are one of those UOL students that i despise, you need to be realistic, if you were given a chance to do biz/econs at NUS, would you choose UOL over them? The only reason i choose UOL would be that it is easier to secure FCH here compared to local uni.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136965)
Dude you are a joke still trying to sell the UOL brand name as "challenging", i am a FCH UOL grad and believe me it is just grinding. My group of friends mostly got FCH with 1 in 2nd upper, we all agree that if we were in a local uni, we would not be able to secure FCH.

It is just a second chance and wake up call for those that didnt do well for A level/Diploma, stop trying to sell it as " extremely challenging ", what is challenging is CFA, this is defintely not as challenging as CFA from my personal experience.

You are one of those UOL students that i despise, you need to be realistic, if you were given a chance to do biz/econs at NUS, would you choose UOL over them? The only reason i choose UOL would be that it is easier to secure FCH here compared to local uni.

No one is saying it is as challenging as local uni.

As you mentioned, it’s grinding. If a degree is “worthless”, you shouldn’t even need to work that hard.

I am one of the UOL students you despise? Bro... you’re not the only FCH UOL here. Am a SIM-UOL Academic & Leadership Excellence scholar with M&A & mgmt consulting exp under my belt.

Joining Big Tech next month doing BD/Strat earning 6k+ base straight out of uni excl. stock compensation plan & sign-on bonus. So go figure,. I think know what I’m talking about.

Btw, even local uni biz/finance courses aren’t as rigorous as the three levels of CFA. No one here said that UOL is harder than CFA, take a chill pill.

Oh and if you chose UOL when u can enter local uni biz/econs because you think you can secure FCH easily here, you are either lying or you are just plain stupid.

Are you even from UOL lmao

Unregistered 06-06-2020 12:49 PM

So many insecure SIM jokers standby over here to protect their faltering defences. I saw someone here claiming that SIM > NUS FASS. You really think a SIM UOL Economics and Finance major is superior to an equivalent major from FASS??? I think you need to wake up your idea and start looking for jobs instead of lurking around here, replying to your own posts to make yourself feel siong. The hard truth is, SIM students are trash. They are local uni rejects who had too much fun in school, neglecting their studies, hence the poor poly GPA and unsuccessful non academic portfolio that cannot even qualify for aptitude based-discretionary entry in local universities. Such low lives deserves low salary for life!

Unregistered 06-06-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136969)
So many insecure SIM jokers standby over here to protect their faltering defences. I saw someone here claiming that SIM > NUS FASS. You really think a SIM UOL Economics and Finance major is superior to an equivalent major from FASS??? I think you need to wake up your idea and start looking for jobs instead of lurking around here, replying to your own posts to make yourself feel siong. The hard truth is, SIM students are trash. They are local uni rejects who had too much fun in school, neglecting their studies, hence the poor poly GPA and unsuccessful non academic portfolio that cannot even qualify for aptitude based-discretionary entry in local universities. Such low lives deserves low salary for life!

You’re right to feel threatened and angry. Because the fact is, there are a handful of UOL students doing extremely well.

It’s not our fault you can’t face the truth. As someone here has mentioned, do a simple search on LinkedIn. :)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Brother why so angry? :(

It seems like you are one of those local uni students who feel the constant need to lurk and stalk a private uni thread just to seek self assurance.

Feel better alright :)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136970)
You’re right to feel threatened and angry. Because the fact is, there are a handful of UOL students doing extremely well.

It’s not our fault you can’t face the truth. As someone here has mentioned, do a simple search on LinkedIn. :)

You're extrapolating the one or two successful SIM idiots and declare the whole cohort sccuesful?

Unregistered 06-06-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136973)
You're extrapolating the one or two successful SIM idiots and declare the whole cohort sccuesful?

For a local uni student, you are extremely stupid.

Which part of ‘a handful’ tells you that it’s the whole cohort? You learn from where? NUS/NTU/SMU?

Wtf is ‘sccuesful’? No wonder some of us managed to one-up you local uni idiots for MA/GA programmes.

This is the reason why some SIM-UOL students don’t feel inferior to their local uni counterparts. Just because you do well for one exam (ie A Levels/IB), you think you’re set for life? Pathetic mindset.

2nd upper local uni students are now settling for 2.2k traineeships. Meanwhile, I just got virtually on boarded at an MNC drawing more than 4K base pm.

Please, continue to lurk a private uni forum 24/7 if that gives you solace. This is great entertainment to private uni students who have made it 😂😂

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:36 PM

I pity private uni students, school fees more ex than local u, get some thrash degree...

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

You must be one of those from FASS that is drawing lower salary than these SIM students, apart from the top students in econs, there is not much value in FASS, the rest are a joke.

Why do you think most of the people from SIM are comparing against FASS instead of students from biz/com sci?

FASS is as pathetic as it within a local uni

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136983)
I pity private uni students, school fees more ex than local u, get some thrash degree...

Look at this retard here.

UOL fees are similar to local uni and is cheaper than SMU bodoh pe

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136968)
No one is saying it is as challenging as local uni.

As you mentioned, it’s grinding. If a degree is “worthless”, you shouldn’t even need to work that hard.

I am one of the UOL students you despise? Bro... you’re not the only FCH UOL here. Am a SIM-UOL Academic & Leadership Excellence scholar with M&A & mgmt consulting exp under my belt.

Joining Big Tech next month doing BD/Strat earning 6k+ base straight out of uni excl. stock compensation plan & sign-on bonus. So go figure,. I think know what I’m talking about.

Btw, even local uni biz/finance courses aren’t as rigorous as the three levels of CFA. No one here said that UOL is harder than CFA, take a chill pill.

Oh and if you chose UOL when u can enter local uni biz/econs because you think you can secure FCH easily here, you are either lying or you are just plain stupid.

Are you even from UOL lmao

In that case you should have never phrase it as "extremely challenging"

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136983)

Well, we grad in 3 years and we are coming into the same roles as you while you have to take 4 years to do it. Unless you are going for top tier strat firms or bugle brackets, which has a barrier of entry to SIM students, it seems that SIM students are much efficient than you with their 3 year degree

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136988)
Well, we grad in 3 years and we are coming into the same roles as you while you have to take 4 years to do it. Unless you are going for top tier strat firms or bugle brackets, which has a barrier of entry to SIM students, it seems that SIM students are much efficient than you with their 3 year degree

Exactly...earlier and cheaper.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136990)
Exactly...earlier and cheaper.

Don’t butthurt leh retard.

Just an example, NTU biz / Acct are 3-year courses.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136991)

Yup and they compete in big 4 audit which is accepting almost anyone nowadays.
The only difference like i said is only if you are going to top tier strat firms or bulge bracket.

Do you feel cheated on your education? Well that's life, too bad for you hehehe

Unregistered 06-06-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136993)
Yup and they compete in big 4 audit which is accepting almost anyone nowadays.
The only difference like i said is only if you are going to top tier strat firms or bulge bracket.

Do you feel cheated on your education? Well that's life, too bad for you hehehe

Even for BB (MO/BO), there are a few who are already in their grad programmes. Know of someone who is entering a BB SA Class this year too.

As for BB FO/Strat firms, you can still find private uni grads who either rebranded (T15 MBA, LSE/Oxbridge MSc/MA, CFA etc) or garnered enough relevant work exp in these positions.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136991)

Hurt what, i also giving example.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136988)

please, you sim retards are already down by so much money with your unsubsidized degrees.

talk about roi lor

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137006)
please, you sim retards are already down by so much money with your unsubsidized degrees.

talk about roi lor

Read the posts above before you step ROI pls.

Do you even know how on par SIM-UOL fees are vis-à-vis local uni?

Can't win an argument with private uni students now want to talk about fees? At least get your facts right retard :(

Damn xia suey leh srsly.. Already embarrassing enough that private uni students are living in your heads rent free.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

talk about roi lor

Clearly you are a local uni student with a pass degree haha or do you even have a degree

If you can talk about ROI but you missed out opportunity cost of 1 year. Makes people think that you lack perspective.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136984)
You must be one of those from FASS that is drawing lower salary than these SIM students, apart from the top students in econs, there is not much value in FASS, the rest are a joke.

Why do you think most of the people from SIM are comparing against FASS instead of students from biz/com sci?

FASS is as pathetic as it within a local uni

if NUS and SIM had a child, it would be FASS

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

talk about roi lor

sure lets talk about roi.

As a reference:

NUS/SMU Biz (Subsidized, Singapore Citizen) - 9.6k / 11.5k (per annum, for 4 years)

UOL EMFSS - Avg 32k (for 3 years)

Again, do a simple LinkedIn search. Handful of UOL fresh grads in GA/MA programmes drawing >the 75 percentile of local uni fresh grads (4.5-5k and up).

I understand, if I were a local uni grad, I would be angry too. But this is life. Doing well for As/Poly/IB doesn't equate to success people.

There are plenty of hardworking SIM-UOL / other private uni grads who ready to pounce on every opportunity available.

Be consistent, vigilant of the competition and most importantly, be humble

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136955)

still waiting for you guys to prove leh, how long has it been. 20-30 years? look up the stats. based on cut off points, quality of students, ranking, prestige, starting salary, basically every other metric, private uni can't compete with local uni.

that is a fact. and cherry picking one smart student who got into cambridge grad isn't really a comparison when NTU and NUS produced a rhodes scholar each in 2019 and 2020, to say the least. don't want to come across as condescending but sometimes a reality check is needed.

to me, SIM is like a safety net, you get a basic degree, good for you. congratulations. but don't try and play it up as if you've achieved the world. same goes for local uni grads. you are just one out of 15,000 local uni grads every year.

peace

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137013)

As a reference:

NUS/SMU Biz (Subsidized, Singapore Citizen) - 9.6k / 11.5k (per annum, for 4 years)

Again, do a simple LinkedIn search. Handful of UOL fresh grads in GA/MA programmes drawing >the 75 percentile of local uni fresh grads (4.5-5k and up).

I understand, if I were a local uni grad, I would be angry too. But this is life. Doing well for As/Poly/IB doesn't equate to success people.

There are plenty of hardworking SIM-UOL / other private uni grads who ready to pounce on every opportunity available.

SIM students like to cherry pick the one or two "successful" graduates out of thousands and say they are as good as them. If you're really good, you wont be rejected by NUS. :)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137014)
still waiting for you guys to prove leh, how long has it been. 20-30 years? look up the stats. based on cut off points, quality of students, ranking, prestige, starting salary, basically every other metric, private uni can't compete with local uni.

that is a fact. and cherry picking one smart student who got into cambridge grad isn't really a comparison when NTU and NUS produced a rhodes scholar each in 2019 and 2020, to say the least. don't want to come across as condescending but sometimes a reality check is needed.

to me, SIM is like a safety net, you get a basic degree, good for you. congratulations. but don't try and play it up as if you've achieved the world. same goes for local uni grads. you are just one out of 15,000 local uni grads every year.

peace

No one is disputing the fact that the avg local uni student is better than the avg private uni student.

What is disgusting and pathetic is that some local uni grads are so insecure that they resort to lurking pte uni forums/bashing on all things pte uni.

Again, if you want prove on success stories, do a simple search online or on LinkedIn. It is literally that simple.

No one in the right mind would put their name and link to their portfolio/resume here on a forum, even those "local uni glory hunters" who are here 24/7.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137016)
SIM students like to cherry pick the one or two "successful" graduates out of thousands and say they are as good as them. If you're really good, you wont be rejected by NUS. :)

"One or two"

"Successful"

Don't so salty leh. Living rent free bro, rent free :)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:46 PM

Bros & sis be kind, first time posting

SIM UOL FCH
Grad 2015
2015 - 3.6 local bank
2016 - 3.8 bonus 3 mths
2018 - took a break and travelled
2019 - 4.4k starting, joined govt sector, not related to degree/work exp
2020 - 4.6k
I was lucky to find 'iron rice bowl' before covid. Was considering private sector vs govt but decided to farm and collect stable pay. Thought it will be very chill but can get hectic too, but needless to say, less stressful than private sector.
Many of my peers earn more now (5 yrs after grad) and I'm not sure if my break/travels set me back (most prob yes) but no regrets. SIM lose out to local u but sell yourself well and try to get offer 3k and higher.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

As a reference:

You forgot to add govt bursaries to local degrees.

Just to assist you with the calculations

With the enhanced bursaries, an eligible full-time undergraduate qualifying for the highest bursary tier will pay tuition fees of $2,000 a year for general degree courses, down from $4,200 based on AY2019 fees, and $150 a year for polytechnic diploma programmes, down from $550 based on AY2019 fees.

Jelly now?

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137008)
Read the posts above before you step ROI pls.

Do you even know how on par SIM-UOL fees are vis-à-vis local uni?

Can't win an argument with private uni students now want to talk about fees? At least get your facts right retard :(

Damn xia suey leh srsly.. Already embarrassing enough that private uni students are living in your heads rent free.

Go read up on government bursaries before you speak.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

As a reference:

With the enhanced bursaries, an eligible full-time undergraduate qualifying for the highest bursary tier will pay tuition fees of $2,000 a year for general degree courses, down from $4,200 based on AY2019 fees, and $150 a year for polytechnic diploma programmes, down from $550 based on AY2019 fees.

B T F O

Besides have you heard of 3 year biz degrees from ntu/nus? Prospects still trounce private deg.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137023)
Go read up on government bursaries before you speak.

Just take the L. It's getting embarrassing.

P.S. SIM programmes are eligible for numerous bursaries as well retard. Bursaries and subsidies are two different things.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137026)

P.S. SIM programmes are eligible for numerous bursaries as well retard. Bursaries and subsidies are two different things.

Getting embarrassing. For you.

Go do your ROI calculation before even trying to refute my point of Pte degrees having crappy ROI.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137026)

But then you'll have to grad from SIM.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137025)

B T F O

Besides have you heard of 3 year biz degrees from ntu/nus? Prospects still trounce private deg.

you are damn pathetic leh LOL.

Out of the 15000 local uni grads every year, how many qualify for the highest bursaries and pay $2000 / annum for their course?

"we got subsidies bro, ur course so expensive."
"talk about ROI"
"ya maybe not cheaper than UOL, but you don't know we got a lot bursaries meh"
"B T F O"

Just diam diam la, end of the day you are still a keyboard warrior who is lurking forums 24/7. Pui.