Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 28-10-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148269)
So much jealousy. Again, cry :(

uWu uWu uWu mi sad uWu uWu

Unregistered 28-10-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148269)
So much jealousy. Again, cry :(

ah yes that lone chuuni boy strikes again

"Chuunibyou (中二病 / 厨二病), often shortened to chuuni or chuu2, is an often-derisive Japanese slang term for the embarrassing behavior of 13-to-14-year-olds. The term literally means "Middle [School] 2[nd Year] Syndrome" (often translated as "Eighth-Grader Syndrome" in US media). Despite the name, it can manifest in people of all ages."

Unregistered 28-10-2020 09:52 PM

it’s ok, we will all feel kinda bad if we were in your positions right now... but hey! you can still get off holding on to your local uni transcripts ;) just don’t spend too much time refreshing a private uni thread aight, getting kinda sad :( sweet dreams boo, feel better xoxo 😘

Unregistered 28-10-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148277)
it’s ok, we will all feel kinda bad if we were in your positions right now... but hey! you can still get off holding on to your local uni transcripts ;) just don’t spend too much time refreshing a private uni thread aight, getting kinda sad :( sweet dreams boo, feel better xoxo 😘

There he is again, can't let go 😂

Unregistered 29-10-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148284)
There he is again, can't let go 😂

Doesn’t rly help your case when you’re obsessed even at 12am bro

Unregistered 29-10-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148295)
Doesn’t rly help your case when you’re obsessed even at 12am bro

Hahah another poster here, doesn't it say the same you're on this forum reacting to every post that belittles you? Peace out

Unregistered 29-10-2020 01:22 PM

is this guy srsly still whining in a SIM-UOL thread?

Unregistered 29-10-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148251)
Both sides are really damn toxic, false flags, strawmen, ad hominem. No longer a discussion but just putting each other down or propping themselves up.

s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/regardless-class-race-religion-survey-singapore-income-divide-10774682

In the end all sinkie ma. Why keep pwning each other. All do NS, pay tax, squeeze in MRT and HDB. Regardless of uni, if you are good you will make it. If you are not good being envious of those who are will just make yourself bitter and unhappier.

Mods just lock the thread PLEASE. If not things will just keep escalating until someone says smth so stupid that ppl call police. This thread is not constructive at all and just an eyesore for everyone.

Agree with this.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148314)
im referring to the "local" uni guy that's obsessed lmao

I'm the original poster and I was referring to the weird uol guy...

Unregistered 29-10-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148320)
I'm the original poster and I was referring to the weird uol guy...

omg why are you so pathetic? I rly do feel bad for you. obsessed and now stooping to identity theft lmao

Unregistered 30-10-2020 02:18 PM

To be fair, it takes 2 years to graduate from a private U, compared to 4 years for NUS/NTU/SMU students. This allows Private U grads to enter the workforce earlier thus giving them a 2 year headstart in their industry. 4 years if they decide to work and study part time (which is highly do-able for a private university). Hell once in the workforce you'd realise rankings don't matter much, and a DL degree would suffice if one is competent and experienced in his/her particular field. That is one fact you cannot dispute

Unregistered 30-10-2020 07:10 PM

Aiyo, there's a range of talents at both private and public unis mah. ofc you can find top private degree grads doing better than a barely surviving public uni grad. Cannot be all public uni grads >> all private uni grads what. U think everyone graduate from uni machiam become the same barbie doll ah?

Want to compare, go compare stats of graduating cohorts year after year. Maybe top private uni grad coz late bloomer? Life is so wild, you want to play tiagong cfm got all kinds of stories.

Unregistered 30-10-2020 08:22 PM

If you're not even good enough academically to make it to a local university then you're just intellectually deficient and inferior. Don't bother with the comparisons and count your blessings that someone is willing to employ you.

Unregistered 30-10-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148373)
If you're not even good enough academically to make it to a local university then you're just intellectually deficient and inferior. Don't bother with the comparisons and count your blessings that someone is willing to employ you.

... and yet I have one-upped local uni undergrads - nay, local uni scholars for internships and FT offers.

If you know, you know. Cry :(

Unregistered 30-10-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148378)
... and yet I have one-upped local uni undergrads - nay, local uni scholars for internships and FT offers.

If you know, you know. Cry :(

Cool story, can't even get into a local uni and somehow has better career prospects that uni scholars. What field are you in? Toilet cleaning?

Unregistered 30-10-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148387)
Cool story, can't even get into a local uni and somehow has better career prospects that uni scholars. What field are you in? Toilet cleaning?

No point being bitter here, but you know what? I really do pity you so yeah sure, toilet cleaning if that helps you sleep better at night I guess

Quit obsessing and spend time working on yourself dude. Perhaps then UOL grads wouldn’t be “stealing” your spots eh? Cheers 😉

Unregistered 30-10-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148391)
No point being bitter here, but you know what? I really do pity you so yeah sure, toilet cleaning if that helps you sleep better at night I guess

Quit obsessing and spend time working on yourself dude. Perhaps then UOL grads wouldn’t be “stealing” your spots eh? Cheers 😉

We all know how impressive SIM graduates are, after all they managed to gain acceptance into a course with such stringent requirements as having a pulse. Most SIM students i've come across can barely string words into a coherent sentence. Also, these distance learning degrees aren't real anyway, I put them on the same tier as the University of Phoenix.

Unregistered 30-10-2020 09:59 PM

is this guy srsly still whining in a SIM-UOL thread?

Unregistered 31-10-2020 11:27 AM

Uni these days really skimping on the self esteem lessons

Unregistered 09-12-2020 02:01 PM

Local U grads, please GTFO this thread if you have any shred of human decency. Some of you are seriously rotten. Put yourself in the shoes of a private U grad: Imagine going through 15 or so years of rigorous education, only to end up with a SIM degree (i.e toilet paper). No wonder why they are so bitter. Very low to put them down. I'd probably kill myself if I were in their situation.

Unregistered 09-12-2020 03:18 PM

woah first time seeing this thread and all i see is this nincompoop spouting nonsense. Life is too short to deal with this empty vessel

Unregistered 09-12-2020 04:34 PM

Well, for starters I was from RMIT, in UOL. Did part time during NS(so shaved off a year), and full time for the next. 2 years in total. Went to Melbourne to graduate coz why not? Also would be nice to graduate on a month that differs from the norm of RMIT students in SIM. Haha, yes.. obtuse but it worked? Now working in a Govt agency. $3.8K starting. 1.5 years in : )

2 years of “private” Uni for this. Did I mention, private diploma holder from SIM
too.

Unregistered 09-12-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150772)
Well, for starters I was from RMIT, in UOL. Did part time during NS(so shaved off a year), and full time for the next. 2 years in total. Went to Melbourne to graduate coz why not? Also would be nice to graduate on a month that differs from the norm of RMIT students in SIM. Haha, yes.. obtuse but it worked? Now working in a Govt agency. $3.8K starting. 1.5 years in : )

2 years of “private” Uni for this. Did I mention, private diploma holder from SIM
too.

In SIM. Sorry. Typo.. what was I thinking. 🥲

Unregistered 09-12-2020 04:45 PM

This is the hierarchy. Very simple.

T1 (brand name uni): Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Oxford, Cambrdige
T2 (good uni): NUS/NTU/SMUand overseas reputable unis U of Hong Kong, U of Tokyo, U of Toronto etc
T3 (meh uni): Overseas tier 2 uni like U of Bath or U of Tasmania
T4 (laosai): DL degrees and overseas trash unis

SIM UOL fits in T4. It is laosai. End of argument.

Unregistered 09-12-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150774)
This is the hierarchy. Very simple.

T1 (brand name uni): Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Oxford, Cambrdige
T2 (good uni): NUS/NTU/SMUand overseas reputable unis U of Hong Kong, U of Tokyo, U of Toronto etc
T3 (meh uni): Overseas tier 2 uni like U of Bath or U of Tasmania
T4 (laosai): DL degrees and overseas trash unis

SIM UOL fits in T4. It is laosai. End of argument.

Even poly diploma ahead of DL degree lah.

Unregistered 09-12-2020 11:52 PM

Aiyo you lot still whining here ah?

I might be the top 5% from SIM earning >4.5k starting at a top MNC in this climate but jesus this is fking hilarious LOL

Yes... we get it - we didn't do well for Poly/A Levels... we only need to study ~12 hours a week.. UOL fees are largely comparable to local uni fees... oh wait, I think I get why you kids are so mad now lmao

Cry :(

Unregistered 09-12-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150804)
Aiyo you lot still whining here ah?

I might be the top 5% from SIM earning >4.5k starting at a top MNC in this climate but jesus this is fking hilarious LOL

Yes... we get it - we didn't do well for Poly/A Levels... we only need to study ~12 hours a week.. UOL fees are largely comparable to local uni fees... oh wait, I think I get why you kids are so mad now lmao

Cry :(

Please lah brother. MNC HR are directed to toss all SIM applications in the shredder. If you want to lie at least make it believable.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 12:09 AM

Omg I have a colleague from UOL and his way is higher than mine??? I’m a local grad from NUS and this is our first job. UNFAIR! By the way, I’m working in a civil service. I am an 2nd Upper.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150764)
Local U grads, please GTFO this thread if you have any shred of human decency. Some of you are seriously rotten. Put yourself in the shoes of a private U grad: Imagine going through 15 or so years of rigorous education, only to end up with a SIM degree (i.e toilet paper). No wonder why they are so bitter. Very low to put them down. I'd probably kill myself if I were in their situation.

Nothing more to say. Perfectly sums up the bitterness and inferiority complex of SIM grads.

NUS grads, don't be an A-hole and come here to mock them. Yes, it's their fault they didn't work hard in poly/JC and make it into a proper university. But they are currently being punished for that by being relegated to a lower tier of society... no need for further goading.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150806)
Please lah brother. MNC HR are directed to toss all SIM applications in the shredder. If you want to lie at least make it believable.

i mean he’s not really lying though, just go on LinkedIn and you can probably find some UOL grads doing well.

then again, they are prob the top 10%. regardless, yall shld just focus on yourselves rather than engaging in mindless arguments on a forum tbf

Unregistered 10-12-2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150810)
i mean he’s not really lying though, just go on LinkedIn and you can probably find some UOL grads doing well.

then again, they are prob the top 10%. regardless, yall shld just focus on yourselves rather than engaging in mindless arguments on a forum tbf

I suspect it's because of connections. Even a First Class UOL degree cannot compare with third class NUS. The disparity in brand name is just too large to overcome.

To all UOL grads, I am sorry. Local grad will always be viewed as superior to you, unless you cured cancer. But I guess if you had the brains to do that, you wouldn't be in SIM UOL in the first place (lol).

Unregistered 10-12-2020 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150811)
I suspect it's because of connections. Even a First Class UOL degree cannot compare with third class NUS. The disparity in brand name is just too large to overcome.

To all UOL grads, I am sorry. Local grad will always be viewed as superior to you, unless you cured cancer. But I guess if you had the brains to do that, you wouldn't be in SIM UOL in the first place (lol).

Don’t be sorry. I’m sorry that you feel this way.

Have no connections & actually landed internships and a decent paying job with F500 companies (beating out local uni/overseas undergrads while doing so btw)

Psychometric > Numerical/Logical/Behavioural > Hirevue > AC/Superdays > Final Rounds

I am probably in the top 5% bracket but still. Just because you did better in As/Poly it doesn’t necessarily mean you’d do better in life, they are not accurate barometers lol.

Humble up pls. I use 2 hands also cannot count finish the number of local uni undergrads who reached out to me for guidance/advice during this recruitment season. Oh and I’m not bragging btw — it’s incredibly exhausting to respond to them.

Hope y’all find some peace, I’m outta here :)

Unregistered 10-12-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150812)

Have no connections & actually landed internships and a decent paying job with F500 companies (beating out local uni/overseas undergrads while doing so btw)

Psychometric > Numerical/Logical/Behavioural > Hirevue > AC/Superdays > Final Rounds

I am probably in the top 5% bracket but still. Just because you did better in As/Poly it doesn’t necessarily mean you’d do better in life, they are not accurate barometers lol.

Humble up pls. I use 2 hands also cannot count finish the number of local uni undergrads who reached out to me for guidance/advice during this recruitment season. Oh and I’m not bragging btw — it’s incredibly exhausting to respond to them.

Every time I wanna good laugh I come on here and read the fairytales concocted by deluded private uni grads.

Thank you for the laugh mate.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 01:18 AM

But it’s true. I am working in a tier 1 public agency and I have colleagues who are from UOL and RMIT. Their first jobs too. Pay wise, it’s comparable. Same job grade. We need to up our game, us local grads.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150814)
But it’s true. I am working in a tier 1 public agency and I have colleagues who are from UOL and RMIT. Their first jobs too. Pay wise, it’s comparable. Same job grade. We need to up our game, us local grads.

Only on these forums will you find SIM UOL grads beating out local grads and populating the upper tiers of MNC, banking and public agencies. In real life... suddenly these UOL grads are nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, what's next? SIM UOL beating out Harvard, Oxford and MIT grads? With you miserable lot, you never know LOL

Unregistered 10-12-2020 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150815)
Only on these forums will you find SIM UOL grads beating out local grads and populating the upper tiers of MNC, banking and public agencies. In real life... suddenly these UOL grads are nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, what's next? SIM UOL beating out Harvard, Oxford and MIT grads? With you miserable lot, you never know LOL

In real life SIM lose to poly diploma, Idk why people go there. If I had a SIM degree I would not put it on my resume.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 150812)

"outta here"

Come on, no one believes that. Besides, get so defensive and churn out this WOT for what LOL you are not convincing anyone.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 09:16 AM

The tread had derailed so much.

For SIM / UOL student that are looking for the starting pay, just take local Uni pay and deduct it by around 10-15% to guess your estimated starting salary.

There are exception to this if you graduate in an industry that have higher demand now.
You can be offered similar pay to the local U student.

To those that get lowballed by their company, you can increase your salary to multiple fold by hopping around and getting the right post degree certificate.

Unregistered 10-12-2020 09:43 AM

The cold hard fact is private uni grads will always be disadvantaged in the job market. And you should accept this fact, unless you possess clearly visible skillsets/achievements/personalities none of your peers/competitors have.

A smart HR/hiring manager will low ball you, simply because they can. No need to reiterate the reasons.
A good company/HR/hiring manager will of course offer you a fair salary, but you should already know there are not so many of such employers.

The stereotype of private uni grads = average/below-average hires will never change, unless the majority of private uni grad population can prove otherwise.

Stereotypes are formed by hearsays, personal experiences and certain biases. It's the same if you think certain nationalities are ruining a company's culture, or they should be paid lower than Singaporeans because of whatever reasons.

My personal belief is private unis can do more to make their grads stand out. Like we always hear or witness how SMU grads are more out-spoken. Many attributed this to their class participations. Why can't private unis do something similar?

Unregistered 10-12-2020 10:20 AM

Local uni kids so pathetic nowadays ah?

Have ego issues come on SIM-UOL thread. Why so bitter and insecure? :(

Ok la — there are none of us in BBs, Big Tech etc if it makes you feel better. Wake the fk up please most of you here are trash that’s why you can find a bunch of us in grad programmes.

Everyone here is a keyboard warrior so if either party wants verification just go google/linkedin or put your contact details down here lor lmao

P.S. Still laughing at the fact that I am doing better than most of my JC peers in local unis 😂