Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   MAS for Mid Career Professionals (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2119-monetary-authority-singapore-mid-career-professionals.html)

Unregistered 22-07-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178234)
Depends on yr department. I got 3% increment and 1 mth PB.

May I know you got this increment and PB at your first year anniversary this year?

Unregistered 29-07-2021 01:28 PM

Any thoughts on what work life balance is like in MAS?

Unregistered 29-07-2021 07:23 PM

Hi all, I got accepted to their graduate officer scheme. Anyone knows what's the pay for it this year? And how's opportunities like within MAS?

Unregistered 31-07-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178735)
Hi all, I got accepted to their graduate officer scheme. Anyone knows what's the pay for it this year? And how's opportunities like within MAS?

Which department?

Unregistered 31-07-2021 11:06 PM

IMD. Safe Management Enforcement Officer.

Unregistered 01-08-2021 07:35 PM

Query on interview timeline

Hi, anyone went through the interview process recently? Would like to understand the rough timeline. Thanks in advance.

COVID-19 01-08-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178259)
No raise for me after probation. May I know you reach your first year anniversary in this year?

My first year anniversary was in 2020. If i pro rate to 1 year then it will be 1.4 months.

Unregistered 13-08-2021 12:15 PM

ever since these company specific thread got moved to the companies section, far less views and comments
bad move by the forum owners imo

Unregistered 21-08-2021 10:35 AM

Progression

30y/o earning 8k/mth from BD. How’s my progression?

Unregistered 21-08-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180649)

Girl or boy?

Unregistered 22-08-2021 08:29 PM

Quote:

8k, is it DD grade 10?

Unregistered 23-08-2021 06:35 PM

What is the typical pay increment upon promotion? E.g. assoc to AD, AD to DD?

Unregistered 24-08-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180975)
What is the typical pay increment upon promotion? E.g. assoc to AD, AD to DD?

i would like to know as well
also typical yearly increment percentage?

Unregistered 24-08-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

You are doing well!

Unregistered 25-08-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178927)
Hi, anyone went through the interview process recently? Would like to understand the rough timeline. Thanks in advance.

First two interviews were arranged quite fast but after that very slow

Unregistered 26-08-2021 12:29 AM

Anyone know when is the period where bosses perform the appraisal ranking exercise to determine the PB?

Unregistered 26-08-2021 12:31 AM

Quote:

This is very good! Am same age as u and got offer recently for AD post in supervisory team. The amt was just $6k. Is this normal? Or is it due to covid?

Unregistered 26-08-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181229)
This is very good! Am same age as u and got offer recently for AD post in supervisory team. The amt was just $6k. Is this normal? Or is it due to covid?

6k for a 30-year old is considered above average .

Unregistered 02-09-2021 03:38 PM

Mas

31 male 7.5k/month. How’s my progression?

Unregistered 02-09-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181891)

Good progression.

Unregistered 02-09-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 181891)

Impressive. Guess it depends on department? Sense is policy role earns more…

Unregistered 06-09-2021 08:15 PM

At what age does one typically become a DD?

Unregistered 11-09-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182263)
At what age does one typically become a DD?

For average performer, 8 to 10 year mark. DD at MAS is equivalent to AD at ministry.

The progression is usually Associate (2 - 3 years) => AD (5- 8 years) => DD

Unregistered 11-09-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182645)
For average performer, 8 to 10 year mark. DD at MAS is equivalent to AD at ministry.

The progression is usually Associate (2 - 3 years) => AD (5- 8 years) => DD

The DD pay scale (>10k) at MAS is much higher than AD (ministry) salary ceiling

Unregistered 13-09-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182649)
The DD pay scale (>10k) at MAS is much higher than AD (ministry) salary ceiling

The payscale is higher because MAS fold in bonus into salary component. Plus MAS salary package is benchmarked against financial sector.

Unregistered 13-09-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182899)
The payscale is higher because MAS fold in bonus into salary component. Plus MAS salary package is benchmarked against financial sector.

whats the pay range of a full "director" in MAS? also there is no AWS or bonus at all?

Unregistered 13-09-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182899)

Agree that payscale higher because of the fold in bonus. As for benchmarked against financial sector, that might not be true. Bonus has dropped drastically which makes the overall compensation less attractive when compared to financial sector. Even when industry rebounced from covid, there is no review in salary package.

Unregistered 14-09-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182954)
Agree that payscale higher because of the fold in bonus. As for benchmarked against financial sector, that might not be true. Bonus has dropped drastically which makes the overall compensation less attractive when compared to financial sector. Even when industry rebounced from covid, there is no review in salary package.

MAS benchmarked against I think middle/back office of financial sector and set the benchmark at a certain percentile (e.g. 70%). Cannot compare with front office salary figures.

MAS is a good place to 'take shelter' in during stormy days like this. U sacrifice some moolah for security. But when the weather is fine and FIs are paying top money outside, MAS will be slow to revise compensation upwards and there will be a cap.

A typical civil/public service way of benchmarking to make sure they are following salary trends but not paying top money (at 90-100% percentile) like FIs outside.

Because need to make sure it has financial prudence of a govt agency. And govt agency are not money making entities. MAS investments goes back into state coffers. Unlike FIs where employees will get a cut of the earnings.

Unregistered 15-09-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183005)
MAS benchmarked against I think middle/back office of financial sector and set the benchmark at a certain percentile (e.g. 70%). Cannot compare with front office salary figures.

MAS is a good place to 'take shelter' in during stormy days like this. U sacrifice some moolah for security. But when the weather is fine and FIs are paying top money outside, MAS will be slow to revise compensation upwards and there will be a cap.

A typical civil/public service way of benchmarking to make sure they are following salary trends but not paying top money (at 90-100% percentile) like FIs outside.

Because need to make sure it has financial prudence of a govt agency. And govt agency are not money making entities. MAS investments goes back into state coffers. Unlike FIs where employees will get a cut of the earnings.

public svc is not hire and fire so paying at P70 is more sustainable.

Unregistered 15-09-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178257)
I didn't get any increment after probation. Understand that first increment for newbies is at first year anniversary.

Is this the case where newbies get their first increment at the first year anniversary? Anyone can confirm this?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182934)
whats the pay range of a full "director" in MAS? also there is no AWS or bonus at all?

anyone can answer this?

Unregistered 18-09-2021 11:05 AM

What’s the increment from ad to dd

Unregistered 21-09-2021 10:41 PM

What is the bonus and increment like this year?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183761)
What is the bonus and increment like this year?

one word bad

Unregistered 22-09-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183787)
one word bad

Agree. Not just bad, but very bad. Yet, workload increases 3 fold.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183853)

its better to be a mgr title in SB then a AD there.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Anyway MAs increased salaries a few years and moved the bonus component to salaries what
tiagong no more than 1 month bonus in MAS?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183873)
Anyway MAs increased salaries a few years and moved the bonus component to salaries what
tiagong no more than 1 month bonus in MAS?

Increased for existing staff la. But if u join recently, u will nt benefit from it. Usually they just giv 3-5% increase from last drawn lo. So if ur last drawn sucky, thn too bad alr. Heard their PB dropped drastically over the years.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 10:32 PM

Sounds like 1 month PB across? And people leave so workload increase?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Yet, workload increases 3 fold.

It's very sad that MAS is trying to do so many new things but is unwilling to hire additional staff. Instead, they simply dump it on the existing staff and ask them to handle it.

The management needs to understand that we are not the Bank of England. It cannot expect us to be producing cutting-edge work when we don't have the same amount of resources or expertise.

Worst is that many of the bosses do not even understand how difficult their requests are. Why don't you do this? Why don't you do that?

Yes, it is easy to make such requests. But have they considered operationally how it is supposed to be done? Whose responsibility is it? How should the work be divided? Is it better if we outsource this to a third party? Do our existing staff have enough resources to cope? Should we actually hire personnel who are experienced in this rather than asking our staff to handle something they have not done before?

In many cases, unfortunately, bosses are only capable of "big picture" ideas, which I believe any MAS officer is also capable of. It is not hard to dream. In terms of delivery though, this is where they completely fall short. There is a remarkable lack of awareness on constraints, believing that any constraint can somehow be solved. Or even if they are aware of the constraints, they do not want to think about it deeply, hoping that by delegating it to someone, that person can miraculously complete the task without any fuss.

Thus, what usually happens is that the person tasked with the additonal responsibilities:
1) Is already packed to the brim with existing work.
2) Has no idea about the additional responsibilities.
3) Being Singaporean, is too afraid to reject the new task.

He thus makes a half-hearted attempt trying to contact a few people who might know about the new task. If he is lucky, he gets a reply because other people are also busy with their own work. If he is unlucky, he gets no reply. But, he also does not want to follow-up because he is also busy and has to spend his time on his core responsibilities.

Thus, this issue just lingers on and on until the staff either leaves MAS or the boss is absorbed is some other new idea and forgets about the issue. After wasting everyone's time over months/years, it becomes apparent that this issue was not really important in the first place. This cycle then repeats itself with other issues.

The other major central banks are much more focused. When they want to do something, they are willing to commit the necessary resources to do it, even if there is no guarantee of success. They accept as a core principle that if you decide to do something, you put your best foot forward. MAS, on the other hand, loves to pussyfoot around issues and naively hopes that everything will somehow turn out well in the end. Quite sad in my opinion.