Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 23-05-2015 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67061)
Nope. CS only hires Singaporeans. IIRC only stat boards are allowed to hire PRs. And virtually zero FTs. Yes, zero.

Stat boards do hire PRs, I think. But stat boards are 'public servants'. Whereas ministries are 'civil servants'. There is a clear line of difference, even if nuanced.

Even so, your statement that 'CS also hire FTs' is clearly false. Civil service does not hire any foreigners.

Nope. Ministries do hire PR. My dept used to have a PR from Indonesia.

And sb do hire foreigners. When i was an intern, my sup was a foreigner (from Indonesia as well) and he used to work for one of the SB.

On the other hand, there are also some SB (or atleast some dept in the SB) which strictly do not hire foreigners or PRs.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67062)
If you consider the fact that local universities take in roughly the top 25% of the academic cohort. And the ones that can succeed in private sector are the top quartile as you've said. It means that most local uni grads can actually succeed well in the private sector.

That's why I said, from my perspective, as a local uni grad, that CS is a dumping ground. Because only the bottom quartile of the graduates(not only in terms of academics, but also work ethic, drive etc.) will want to end up there.

"A degree-holding civil servant's income is typically slightly above the median gross salary of deg-holders across all age groups as reported in 'Labor Force in Singapore, 2013'."

I hope it is easier for you to read now.

SELXM 23-05-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67062)
If you consider the fact that local universities take in roughly the top 25% of the academic cohort. And the ones that can succeed in private sector are the top quartile as you've said. It means that most local uni grads can actually succeed well in the private sector.

That's why I said, from my perspective, as a local uni grad, that CS is a dumping ground. Because only the bottom quartile of the graduates(not only in terms of academics, but also work ethic, drive etc.) will want to end up there.

hmm.. then maybe you should try to apply for a pte sector job? just go for an interview and see how much you're worth out there. i like to do some "benchmarking" every 2-3 years by going for an interview or 2 to see how much i am worth outside.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67063)
Nope. Ministries do hire PR. My dept used to have a PR from Indonesia.

And sb do hire foreigners. When i was an intern, my sup was a foreigner (from Indonesia as well) and he used to work for one of the SB.

On the other hand, there are also some SB (or atleast some dept in the SB) which strictly do not hire foreigners or PRs.

Thanks for making it clear. Some people here still think CS is for "losers" since there is no foreign competition. Lesser competition doesn't mean no competition.

Even the army accepts SPR as regulars. There might be certain sensitive units/vocations where they don't accept SPR, but that doesn't mean it applies to all units/vocations.

s://.ns.sg/Mindef/safcareer/applicant/imindef/apply.do?service=AFRC

Unregistered 23-05-2015 03:58 PM

MX12, male, late 20s, working for close to 3 years.

got 500 for 'B' grade MI

What does this say about my cep? Has no idea about my cep.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54355)
this is super hilarious. try it, and see whether you like it. you may enjoy arranging meetings and writing minutes. They can be quite fun but clearly super high stipend! When you get to DD level, you are paid roughly 10K. (DD also kenna minutes and press releases ok) But if you don't, jump ship soon, don't wait until 10 years later when you have no other skills aside writing minutes and arranging meetings.

Not true. AD already more $14k in stat board.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67084)
MX12, male, late 20s, working for close to 3 years.

got 500 for 'B' grade MI

What does this say about my cep? Has no idea about my cep.

wow 500 MI

My GLC only give 1/3 of 500 as MI for "B" grader ........:(

Unregistered 23-05-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67061)
Nope. CS only hires Singaporeans. IIRC only stat boards are allowed to hire PRs. And virtually zero FTs. Yes, zero.

Stat boards do hire PRs, I think. But stat boards are 'public servants'. Whereas ministries are 'civil servants'. There is a clear line of difference, even if nuanced.

Even so, your statement that 'CS also hire FTs' is clearly false. Civil service does not hire any foreigners.

Wrong! Stat boards do hire FTs and non PRs.

Unregistered 23-05-2015 10:15 PM

How am I doing?

I'm in civil service.

Started in 2006: ~$3000
Now: ~$9000

How am I doing? More specifically, is this average progression or below-average? Thanks!

Unregistered 24-05-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67100)
I'm in civil service.

Started in 2006: ~$3000
Now: ~$9000

How am I doing? More specifically, is this average progression or below-average? Thanks!

What grade? Mx11 or 10?