Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 17-05-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66848)
How old are you? I'm 32 in mx11, and received only 250-300 in apr 2015. Performance grade C. So it's lesser than the 350-450 which you've mentioned. Not sure whether my CEP is low.

Prolly average CEP.

Unregistered 17-05-2015 06:47 PM

Say your salary consist of base Pay + Allowance but your got to work shift work, weekends and after office hours ec.... would you guys give that allowance up for a regular 9-6pm job with ur weekends free? Allowance is about 10% of your pay, base pay unchanged.

Unregistered 17-05-2015 10:53 PM

I am 33 years old. A grade C for MX 11 will give u a 366 merit increment. This was mentioned previously by a fellow poster too.

Quote:

How old are you? I'm 32 in mx11, and received only 250-300 in apr 2015. Performance grade C. So it's lesser than the 350-450 which you've mentioned. Not sure whether my CEP is low.

temp111 18-05-2015 07:39 AM

If get promoted from mso 6 to mso 5, how much increment to expect?

Unregistered 18-05-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66801)
but I heard MAS employs traders too? If it's similar job scope should be relatively competitive pay... I am okay with a little pay cut to get work life balance back. I don't mind being director level in civil as long as not too much stress and **** work

Also it's considered mid level entry right... So they will look at my 3rd class and not work experience?

Even if MAS do employ traders, they are unable to offer that kind of salary package simply because they are part of public service. Because of that, unless you hold high positions (e.g. Dir and above), you will get decent salary, but not exorbitant ones.

Yes they will look at your 3rd class, as well as your experience. Frankly speaking, there is no way you can get similar package. If you stated your expected salary as such, I'm very sure they will just throw away your application. No point wasting theirs and your time for something which will not materialise.

Unregistered 21-05-2015 04:11 PM

Ok I'm the one who complained about the increment differences between ministry and statboard. During recruitment, they told me they need people with my technical knowledge. Reality check. Ministry does not need technical expertise. They will get it from their stat boards. When I was in statboard, I get frequent interview calls from the private sector. If I persist in this path for one year, the relevancy of my experience will be crushed beyond granular, no... atomic level....

Again, there may be other aspects of civil service which I am not aware of, which is why my colleagues stayed for so many many years. Then again, it may not be the remuneration package and working environment, but more of themselves wanting to serve. Only a man of certain character can serve the public.

Unregistered 21-05-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

wow if you're drawing $6k, you get a 5% increment for being average or less than average??

in the public sector a "good" rating will probably just net you a 5% increment and a promotion will net you a 7% increment.

we overpay our civil servants.

Unregistered 21-05-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66991)
wow if you're drawing $6k, you get a 5% increment for being average or less than average??

in the public sector a "good" rating will probably just net you a 5% increment and a promotion will net you a 7% increment.

not really. public sector pay is designed to overpay at the start & stagnate at later stage (usually after 40).

the gov not stupid. they know when ppl are young many are tempted to move into pte sector, so they give good increment/promotion. but unless ur classified as hipo CEP, most ppl will find their prospect slowing down a lot after 40 becauz once u reach that age, pte sector not interested in u anymore and ur "stuck" in public sector so they can afford to "bochup" u.

Unregistered 21-05-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66994)
not really. public sector pay is designed to overpay at the start & stagnate at later stage (usually after 40).

the gov not stupid. they know when ppl are young many are tempted to move into pte sector, so they give good increment/promotion. but unless ur classified as hipo CEP, most ppl will find their prospect slowing down a lot after 40 becauz once u reach that age, pte sector not interested in u anymore and ur "stuck" in public sector so they can afford to "bochup" u.

In that case, what is the usual increment of someone in his or her 40s who has not reached the salary ceiling? Say, this person is MX10 and earning about 9k.

Unregistered 21-05-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66991)

Haha. You wish. Public sector is the biggest dumping ground out there. Yes. The starting salary and increments are high. But if you compare 2 local grads in both public sector and private sector, the one who entered private sector will always win down the road.

The trick is simple, lure young fresh grads with high starting salaries. Once you spend 10 years in there, you're trapped in public service. Most dont dare to venture into the private sector because the pace and culture is very different.

Its like SAF regulars. Lure them with high starting pay and signing bonuses. Once they're in, they wont leave. After 5-8 years down the road, their peers will be earning way more than them. Unless of course, one is a PSC scholar. But even then, a PSC calibre could have made much more in the private sector in MA programs.