Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 02-04-2024 03:38 PM

Is it possible to be promoted when one is still under contract

Unregistered 02-04-2024 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273554)

Nope…why promote someone on contract?

Unregistered 02-04-2024 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273554)

Promotion is only for those who are emplaced.

Unregistered 03-04-2024 01:34 AM

Would going for further studies (eg masters, phD) increase the chance of a CEP revision to a higher grade?

Unregistered 03-04-2024 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273635)
Would going for further studies (eg masters, phD) increase the chance of a CEP revision to a higher grade?

no. it’s dependent on the person being a high potential in the first place, not because he went to take post grad

Unregistered 03-04-2024 12:31 PM

Hello, need to seek some advice.

Been in a ministry (uniformed group) for 12 years, joined with diploma. Halfway thru got my sponsored degree. Got interviewed for other roles (M/SM level) are other Ministries but was told during interview that my degree won't be recognised as it is considered a ministry transfer and I will still be on diploma path. So instead of hoping for an increment, I am likely facing a pay cut as the Ministry I'm in now has additional components to the salary.

My question is:
#1 anyone in the same situation got transferred and faced a pay cut or did you managed to get your latest qualification recognised and get a matching or increase in salary.

#2 if I transfer to a SB, is it the same story as ministry or will they recognise my degree?

#3 is it better to resign and join but that may mean being on contract.

Thanks

Unregistered 03-04-2024 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273666)

Been in a ministry (uniformed group) for 12 years, joined with diploma. Halfway thru got my sponsored degree. Got interviewed for other roles (M/SM level) are other Ministries but was told during interview that my degree won't be recognised as it is considered a ministry transfer and I will still be on diploma path. So instead of hoping for an increment, I am likely facing a pay cut as the Ministry I'm in now has additional components to the salary.

My question is:
#1 anyone in the same situation got transferred and faced a pay cut or did you managed to get your latest qualification recognised and get a matching or increase in salary.

#2 if I transfer to a SB, is it the same story as ministry or will they recognise my degree?

#3 is it better to resign and join but that may mean being on contract.

Thanks

#1: Your degree is sponsored (SUSS? Sounds like you are under MHA/Home Team) I have colleagues who transferred from HUS to MX/HASE faced some pay cut as well. Depends on your motivation. Higher pay or new role to learn and progress?

#2: SB varied. If you have connection maybe works better. Referral works well too. But, the pay range usually competitive open market with the rest, unlikely bring over the years of experience or leave component. I heard DXO pays higher but hard to get it.

#3: Resign and you have to work with some private first, after a while then you can try to apply back. Usually 1 year later. Then they will ask why you leave and join etc...

Unregistered 03-04-2024 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273666)

My question is:

#2 if I transfer to a SB, is it the same story as a ministry or will they recognise my degree?

#3 Is it better to resign and join but that may mean being on contract.

Thanks

I believe your sponsored degree is recognised within your own ministry right? If you want to leave your current and to have your degree recognised in another stat board or ministry, you cannot go through the transfer programme, instead, you have to go through the fresh hire path which means your extended leave benefits and salary package will not be transferrable. Also, the starting pay package that they will likely offer you will be based on a fresh grad kind of starting salary which yes, might be lower than your current one. Your previous 12 years exp while holding on to a diploma may not be fully taken into consideration because if you are applying for a role which requires a degree, usually HR only consider the years of experience after you have obtained your degree. If the role you interviewed has relevancy to the previous 12 years, the HR may consider you to have some experience and offer you a slightly higher than fresh grad pay.

It all depends on how you see this matter in the long term. You want to take a pay cut now and have a wider progression path and longer retirement age or you didn't want to have a pay cut and don't mind having a shorter retirement age.

I was from the diploma path and obtained a degree later on my own and rejoined the PS as a "fresh hire grad"

Unregistered 03-04-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273635)

yes if you are scholar.

Unregistered 03-04-2024 04:45 PM

Does anyone know about Astar AES scheme?
What is Astar promotion hierarchy like?

Thx

Unregistered 03-04-2024 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273682)
I believe your sponsored degree is recognised within your own ministry right? If you want to leave your current and to have your degree recognised in another stat board or ministry, you cannot go through the transfer programme, instead, you have to go through the fresh hire path which means your extended leave benefits and salary package will not be transferrable. Also, the starting pay package that they will likely offer you will be based on a fresh grad kind of starting salary which yes, might be lower than your current one. Your previous 12 years exp while holding on to a diploma may not be fully taken into consideration because if you are applying for a role which requires a degree, usually HR only consider the years of experience after you have obtained your degree. If the role you interviewed has relevancy to the previous 12 years, the HR may consider you to have some experience and offer you a slightly higher than fresh grad pay.

It all depends on how you see this matter in the long term. You want to take a pay cut now and have a wider progression path and longer retirement age or you didn't want to have a pay cut and don't mind having a shorter retirement age.

I was from the diploma path and obtained a degree later on my own and rejoined the PS as a "fresh hire grad"

Thanks for sharing. At what age did you rejoin?

Unregistered 03-04-2024 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273701)
Thanks for sharing. At what age did you rejoin?

Unregistered 03-04-2024 11:15 PM

Htx here 3 year in earning 7000. I love being an associate I basically do the same stuff just abit more fluff and I get more money than the normal engineer hires lol

Unregistered 05-04-2024 07:43 AM

Could anyone compare the annual pay and career progression of a software engineer role in URA, LTA and IMDA please? got offers from these three statboards with similar base pay, would like to hear more in-depth views from you guys. Thanks!

Unregistered 05-04-2024 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273902)
Could anyone compare the annual pay and career progression of a software engineer role in URA, LTA and IMDA please? got offers from these three statboards with similar base pay, would like to hear more in-depth views from you guys. Thanks!

ura lta then imda

though none of the three are the best options.

Unregistered 05-04-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273903)
ura lta then imda

though none of the three are the best options.

Thanks for your advice! I will have to pick one from them as I have no better offers yet.

do you mind to further explain why URA > LTA > IMDA in terms of pay and prospect please?

Unregistered 05-04-2024 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273902)

Would advise you not to just look at job and prospect, but also read about the agency culture because if the agency culture is bad, no matter how good is the money, you also will leave. There are threads about LTA and IMDA over here.

Unregistered 05-04-2024 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273922)
Thanks for your advice! I will have to pick one from them as I have no better offers yet.

do you mind to further explain why URA > LTA > IMDA in terms of pay and prospect please?

if you read the lta and imda thread, you would already know why not to.

Unregistered 05-04-2024 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273928)
Would advise you not to just look at job and prospect, but also read about the agency culture because if the agency culture is bad, no matter how good is the money, you also will leave. There are threads about LTA and IMDA over here.

Good point. As for me, I was referred by my friend for IMDA role, who shared with me the team's culture actually quite good though I did see many bad comments about the top management.

At my current stage, I care more about the annual pay as I might hop again after 2-5 years, so would like to hear more about their bonus structure and promotion frequency etc.

really appreciate your advice!

Unregistered 05-04-2024 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273933)
Good point. As for me, I was referred by my friend for IMDA role, who shared with me the team's culture actually quite good though I did see many bad comments about the top management.

At my current stage, I care more about the annual pay as I might hop again after 2-5 years, so would like to hear more about their bonus structure and promotion frequency etc.

I think if u are just the karkia and working level, maybe u won't need to interact with the senior mgmt then won't feel so much from it

But your boss, might feel the heat and rush u to deliver the work required then all sink together

Unregistered 05-04-2024 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273922)

I like URA the most because they have a very high glassdoor rating (above 4), and CBD location. IMDA is at ulu Labrador Park, and the forums.salary thread about it is bad.

Unregistered 05-04-2024 11:54 AM

Quote:

Good point. As for me, I was referred by my friend for the IMDA role, who shared with me the team's culture was actually quite good though I did see many bad comments about the top management.

IMDA have their own bonus structure and payout. They don't follow the CS/PS payout structure. Promotion I am quite sceptical. If your bosses like you get a chance. Yes, I believe you saw that IMDA likely pay higher but if they aren't doing a real job, won't help in your next jump. They also seem to work late and OT a lot including weekends. Culture is quite good with the current dept or team boss but bear in mind that bosses also will change. For me, I care more about the whole org culture because it will definitely hit me somewhere somehow.

Unregistered 05-04-2024 11:55 AM

Quote:

Go read glassdoor as well....

Unregistered 05-04-2024 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273738)
Htx here 3 year in earning 7000. I love being an associate I basically do the same stuff just abit more fluff and I get more money than the normal engineer hires lol

can share more details?

Unregistered 09-04-2024 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273682)

Oh, so how long you have been on the new path le? Did you got pay cut as well?

Unregistered 09-04-2024 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273734)

oh nice.. so under the new path how's your career progression like? fast from MX13 to MX11?

Unregistered 11-04-2024 12:24 PM

2024 civil service bonuses

Been quiet on this thread on this topic so thought I'd start - MX11A bonus this year for a C grade is 1.94 months. What do bonuses for other MX levels and grades look like?

For those new to the public service, this bonus amount is relevant only to staff in ministries, i.e. statutory boards are excluded as they have separate pay schemes and bonus structures.

Also, higher levels get more bonus for the same appraisal grade, so staff who are junior to you (lower MX levels, e.g. MX 13, 12, 11) would get less in terms of months of pay even if you both got the same grade, while those senior to you would get more months for the same grade (MX10 and above).

Does anyone know if bonuses for those in non-graduate schemes are lower than bonuses for MX staff, at the same appraisal grades?

Unregistered 11-04-2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274678)
Been quiet on this thread on this topic so thought I'd start - MX11A bonus this year for a C grade is 1.94 months. What do bonuses for other MX levels and grades look like?

For those new to the public service, this bonus amount is relevant only to staff in ministries, i.e. statutory boards are excluded as they have separate pay schemes and bonus structures.

Also, higher levels get more bonus for the same appraisal grade, so staff who are junior to you (lower MX levels, e.g. MX 13, 12, 11) would get less in terms of months of pay even if you both got the same grade, while those senior to you would get more months for the same grade (MX10 and above).

Does anyone know if bonuses for those in non-graduate schemes are lower than bonuses for MX staff, at the same appraisal grades?

Sorry, noticed there's a thread for bonuses on Salary.sg. Admins, please feel free to delete my post above and this one as well.

Unregistered 13-04-2024 07:31 AM

Help

Hi i joined a ministry as fresh grad under mx scheme. 4 years into the job i'm MX11 earning around $5.2k. Am i progessing slow in my career (in terms of promotion and salary)? Understand nowadays fresh grads already getting upper $4k which is quite near my current pay. Can't help but compare and feel demoralised.... Should i jump to stat board for higher pay?

Would also like to know which stat boards tend to pay higher if possible.

Unregistered 13-04-2024 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274927)
Hi i joined a ministry as fresh grad under mx scheme. 4 years into the job i'm MX11 earning around $5.2k. Am i progessing slow in my career (in terms of promotion and salary)? Understand nowadays fresh grads already getting upper $4k which is quite near my current pay. Can't help but compare and feel demoralised.... Should i jump to stat board for higher pay?

with or without NS?

you should actually think on the bright side. if you reached mx11 within 4 years, you are in fact promoted very quickly...you could have a higher potential or will be groomed for higher positions soon.

although your pay is at the lower range of mx11, it also means you have a lot of room for increments and high performance ratings. you won't hit the ceiling and stagnate like some other people.

Unregistered 13-04-2024 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274933)
with or without NS?

you should actually think on the bright side. if you reached mx11 within 4 years, you are in fact promoted very quickly...you could have a higher potential or will be groomed for higher positions soon.

although your pay is at the lower range of mx11, it also means you have a lot of room for increments and high performance ratings. you won't hit the ceiling and stagnate like some other people.

Without NS. I was promoted recently and was told by a senior that the best time to move out is right after promotion...not sure how true it is and why exactly?

Unregistered 13-04-2024 02:16 PM

what is the typical MX11A salary? what criteria used to determine the actual salary from the pay scale range? Age, year of experience, NS?

Unregistered 13-04-2024 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274977)
what is the typical MX11A salary? what criteria used to determine the actual salary from the pay scale range? Age, year of experience, NS?

around the range of $7500 to $8500 i believe.

because the salary ceiling for mx12 is around $6000.

i cant remember if mx11a comes before or after mx11.

anyway, mx10 and mx9 are alr considered halfway or full superscale liao. cos if u hit these 2 ranks, u would be bordering on superscale salary of 5 figures monthly n each dept would have only 5% of ppl with these ranks unless yours is a special dept.

Unregistered 13-04-2024 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274678)

------------------
my friend MX11A and the PB also less than 2 months with less than $100 MI

Unregistered 13-04-2024 02:40 PM

will there be salary adjustment or increase during a new contract renewal?

Unregistered 13-04-2024 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274980)

anyway, mx10 and mx9 are alr considered halfway or full superscale liao. cos if u hit these 2 ranks, u would be bordering on superscale salary of 5 figures monthly n each dept would have only 5% of ppl with these ranks unless yours is a special dept.

MX11A 5900 - 9700
MX12 3300 - 6259
MX11 first then MX11A

MX 9 is super scale

Unregistered 13-04-2024 11:26 PM

Is the MI increment for MSO scheme and MXO scheme different for the parallel grade is you get the same performance grade? Think if I should convert and move to MX12?

Unregistered 14-04-2024 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274985)
will there be salary adjustment or increase during a new contract renewal?

Yes, there is

Unregistered 14-04-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274980)

Mx12, 11, 11a, 10, 9 upwards

Unregistered 14-04-2024 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274927)

Some fresh grads earn more...