Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 16-04-2013 11:54 AM

30 yo earning 6.5k basic
Bonus ~4 months

Am I an underperformer? I was an overseas scholar graduated with first class honors from UK. Started at 2.2k basic with stat board, broke bond after 1.5 years due to severe stress and exhaustion due to overwork conditions (was working 12-14 hours everyday, weekends including). At the time I left with 2.8k basic. Subsequently my previous stat board went through many rounds of pay adjustment and starting I heard now is 3.5-4k.

After 6 years in private sector I have rejoined another board at 6.5k. I have heard my previous board is paying >6k for 28-29 yo officers, non-scholars.

Unregistered 16-04-2013 02:15 PM

anyone in the healthcare sector doing administration or management role? Do they accept fresh grads and what expected salary shud i put? Second upper with no NS

cslee 16-04-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35762)
i was the one who posted the ivory tower riddle, but subsequent replies and all didn't come from me. what's MME? abit surprised no one got the right ministry - yes, i say it there, ministry, therefore on MX scheme. the 'ivory tower' riddle is a play on the name of the street it is on, if you haven't realised.

As the poster #2781 above summed up v rightly too, just b'cos it didn't happen in your scope of work and ppl you work, doesn't mean it's all a load of crap. you will better understand why some of these junior officers' promotions are accelerated when you deal directly with Ministers, MOS, HC.. ok i shan't give too much game away. At the end of it all, no point getting up in arms over discussion on remuneration. We are all here to share and learn.

i rest my case.

The answer to the riddle is MOF.
Scheme of service: Ministry of Finance : Schemes of Service

Can easily get gadgets in MOF? Hmmm..... Another possible answer is MHA tower. But it's HASE scheme. Anyway, it shouldn't be difficult for us to figure out the MX11 30yo guy from MOF.

Unregistered 16-04-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35381)
can someone tell me, i've had scholarships from NUS for my undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Hence, 2 time scholarships for my studies. If I apply to ministry/stat board, will i be considered a farmer or a scholar? thanks in advance.

You're a farmer. Only scholarships given by the stat board or PSC will be considered scholars

Unregistered 17-04-2013 01:06 AM

When you are applying, do you see a section where they ask whether you are a scholar or a farmer? If so, based on your 2 scholarships, you may select 'scholar' and they will put you on a fast track within the civil service. You can look forward to hitting super-scale grade before 40.

Otherwise, it is time for you to wake up. Scholars are only designed for officers who were chosen and sponsored by the ministry for their studies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35847)
You're a farmer. Only scholarships given by the stat board or PSC will be considered scholars

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can someone tell me, i've had scholarships from NUS for my undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Hence, 2 time scholarships for my studies. If I apply to ministry/stat board, will i be considered a farmer or a scholar? thanks in advance.

Unregistered 17-04-2013 10:04 AM

esnSeri ftranger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35856)
When you are applying, do you see a section where they ask whether you are a scholar or a farmer? If so, based on your 2 scholarships, you may select 'scholar' and they will put you on a fast track within the civil service. You can look forward to hitting super-scale grade before 40.

Otherwise, it is time for you to wake up. Scholars are only designed for officers who were chosen and sponsored by the ministry for their studies.

The harsh reality is that even amongst scholars, the overseas ones will have much better prospects than the local ones. NUS scholarship doesn't count for anything...

losthope 18-04-2013 05:38 PM

Advice needed.
I am interested in ITE Lecturer job and below are my credentials:
1) Diploma Holder with work experience in Airforce for 6 years
2) Degree Holder (UK) with 1st Class Hons with work experience for ~14 years
Work Experience: Senior Technician (6 yrs), Electronic Design Engineer (10 yrs) and Engineering Manager (4 yrs).
What are the chances of me being recruited?
What will be the salary range for me?
Thanks.

Unregistered 19-04-2013 01:48 AM

was your UK degree completed via distance learning or did you physically fly over to UK to study?

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 35908)
Advice needed.
Work Experience: Senior Technician (6 yrs), Electronic Design Engineer (10 yrs) and Engineering Manager (4 yrs).
Thanks.

losthope 19-04-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35923)
was your UK degree completed via distance learning or did you physically fly over to UK to study?

I spent 2 years (phyiscally) in UK for the degree course. This university is recognised by the Singapore Professional Engineers Board.

cslee 19-04-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 35908)
Advice needed.
Thanks.

Your question would be probably better answered on another thread called "15% paycut to join Polytechnic". Many poly/ITE staff are on it. It seems that Poly and ITE lecturers are under same PAX scheme.