Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 05-04-2011 07:38 PM

rentior construct

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10964)
Absolutely would care to share.

1) Short work days and work week (9-hour day, 5-day week) may not always apply in DSTA, especially if you deal with software.

2) Not true that your skills will be irrelevant. In each industry, there will always be some skills that are generic and can be ported across to another company.

It is up to the individual to look after his own as well as his company's interests. That is, while you are deciding on/ fulfilling your business objectives, bear in mind you need to develop yourself professionally. There will be ways to do that.

3) I'm afraid it may be the case that your base salary could indeed be <5K after 5 years given you'll be starting at 3.3K.
I am of the opinion that the base is important, but some companies (your second company) look at the total annual compensation. So, the other pay components come into play. And in DSTA, the other components are decent.

By the way, 3.3K for 2nd lower... Has this been stagnant for close to 2 years? Or even decreased?

In DSTA, most will not be filthy rich.
But they will not let you starve.

Hi, thanks for sharing !

1) Hmmm ok, but it will still be better then the shipyard where i was advised to be prepared for 7 days work week with both weekends ending at 3-4pm.
2) Good point, will bear this in mind and look out to upgrade these generic skills.
3) Will definitely ask the HR side about the salary cap , more details on the progression route (they only said that it depends on work performance during my interview) and also the exact compensation when they contact me again.

If i remembered correctly, i saw a poster mentioned he joined them in late 09 and his starting was similar to 08 levels. Hopefully their '11 level will get a slight boost upwards :)
Post #118 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/....html#post6821)

Unregistered 05-04-2011 08:48 PM

Any civil servants care to share their merit increment this year? Please share the absolute increment, % increment and also performance grade this year.

Thanks.

MX13 -?
MX12 -?
MX11 -?
MX10 -?

Unregistered 05-04-2011 10:10 PM

More about DSTA

For those old bird or ex-old bird in DSTA.

How much is the annual increment (for average performer)?
--How many %? or How much is the value/digital figure?

How much is the promotional increment (Let say from engineer to senior engineer for average performer)?

Unregistered 05-04-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10970)
Any civil servants care to share their merit increment this year? Please share the absolute increment, % increment and also performance grade this year.

Thanks.

MX13 -?
MX12 -?
MX11 -?
MX10 -?

MX11, got C for my performance grade this year, increment of $360+, ~8% increment

Unregistered 05-04-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10975)
MX11, got C for my performance grade this year, increment of $360+, ~8% increment

walau!!! having a 'C' grade, I suppose average performer = 'C', still got 8% annual increment!!!
That is alot!!

Base on your data given

8% = $360
Mean your salary before increment is about $4500, & after increment = $4860!!!

Then I suppose 'B' mean 10-12% increment?
Then I suppose 'A' mean 13-15% increment?

Am I guessing correct for the 'A' n 'B' increment?
If possible, if promote from MX12 to MX11, got how many % increment, and about how much(value?), for 'C' performer?

ST(GLC) pays its 'C' grader 2.7% only -_-, even a promotion 'C' grader (4% only).

Unregistered 05-04-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chnrxn (Post 10947)
I hope you don't find this irrelevant ... if you have other interests that you think has potential to develop into a profitable sideline, you may find that a better work-life balance may be beneficial.

Personally, shipyard in Tuas? Not for me. 7 month bonus? Only good if you are at the top drawing >$10k? If this is the K- company, insiders have told me it's not a good environment.

Could you explain why K-company does not have a good environment to work in?( Because I intend to work there.)

shaz 05-04-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10977)
walau!!! having a 'C' grade, I suppose average performer = 'C', still got 8% annual increment!!!
That is alot!!

Base on your data given

8% = $360
Mean your salary before increment is about $4500, & after increment = $4860!!!

Then I suppose 'B' mean 10-12% increment?
Then I suppose 'A' mean 13-15% increment?

Am I guessing correct for the 'A' n 'B' increment?
If possible, if promote from MX12 to MX11, got how many % increment, and about how much(value?), for 'C' performer?

ST(GLC) pays its 'C' grader 2.7% only -_-, even a promotion 'C' grader (4% only).

2007-MX13
2008-MX13/MX12 (17% increment, C - i think)
2009-MX12 (3% increment, B)
2010-MX12 (8% increment, B)
2011-MX12/MX11 (15% increment, B)

as with most promotees, i expect to get a C in 2012... confirm? most like double confirm...

Unregistered 05-04-2011 11:51 PM

On one of the professional schemes, equivalent of MX11

Merit Increment of just below 500, more than 9%, B grader.

Unregistered 05-04-2011 11:52 PM

Increments

wow, your promotion in 2nd and 5th year really pays a substantial increment! I am guessing 09 was due to the weak economy...

how does one go about getting an "A"? or is those only reserved for first class or scholars type? Thanks.

blackswan 06-04-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 10980)
2007-MX13
2008-MX13/MX12 (17% increment, C - i think)
2009-MX12 (3% increment, B)
2010-MX12 (8% increment, B)
2011-MX12/MX11 (15% increment, B)

as with most promotees, i expect to get a C in 2012... confirm? most like double confirm...

y 2009 and 2010 both B but diff so big in increment?

btw which class of hons r u?

not sure wats ur system but ours is the increment will be 1 yr from join date.. then nxt increment date then same as other perm staff:eek:

shaz 06-04-2011 12:19 AM

there was a salary review for the MX scheme in 2008... so I got a bit more than usual... my MX12 promotion was in August that same year hence the reason why my 2009 increment was smaller due to the normalisation... it's best to ignore my first 3 years of service due to the abnormality of the increments.

oh, i'm a lowly "Pass" Degree :)

blackswan 06-04-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 10985)
there was a salary review for the MX scheme in 2008... so I got a bit more than usual... my MX12 promotion was in August that same year hence the reason why my 2009 increment was smaller due to the normalisation... it's best to ignore my first 3 years of service due to the abnormality of the increments.

u would be an inspiration to other pass degree holders in civil service.
anyway u joined in 2007 and promoted to MX 12 ?
which month u join and which month u promoted? is it exactly 1 yr? isnt it jus probation finished?
i tot there is a promotion exercise, everybody promoted tgt?:confused:

Unregistered 06-04-2011 01:39 AM

Can anyone advise on NLB?

I've been offered a position there.
The salary offered will be a paycut compared to what I'm currently drawing.

Is this normal for them?

Anyone knows if their attrition rates are exceptionally high?

miwashi 06-04-2011 09:01 AM

they always seem to have openings for librarians. Most of their openings also appear to be really IT-based.

Unregistered 06-04-2011 11:04 AM

nlb

I hear NLB's pay is on the low side. My friend with a few years of experience in other ministries only got offered the same last drawn pay.

what is the reason they give for under cutting your pay?

alwaysnforever 06-04-2011 11:29 AM

I wonder how much do superscales earn? It seems HR is rather hush hush on the hierachy of superscales?

What's the lowest superscale? H?

Unregistered 06-04-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 10995)
I wonder how much do superscales earn? It seems HR is rather hush hush on the hierachy of superscales?

What's the lowest superscale? H?

The lowest admin service superscale earns more than 1m.

Unregistered 06-04-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 10985)

what is your starting salary in 2007 @ MX13 with your 'PASS' degree, are you a male with 'NS'?

I got 2nd lower NTU, also start work in mid 2007, now only getting $3.4k in private sector...well, I should work for government

alwaysnforever 06-04-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10996)

I highly doubt all superscales earn at learn 1 million. can someone with actual knowledge share pls?

Non admin service superscale salary for eg?

Unregistered 06-04-2011 03:43 PM

Entry level about 11k.

k3vin 06-04-2011 03:59 PM

entry for superscale 11-12k

blackswan 06-04-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11014)
entry for superscale 11-12k

it is not accurate to compare monthly pay.
must look at annual package.

FOR 2010 lowest superscale (SR9) got $365,000.

http://app.psd.gov.sg/data/PSD%20pre...2024112010.pdf

alwaysnforever 06-04-2011 09:50 PM

is SR9 the lowest superscale? How to jump from 12k pm to 360k pa. thats like 24 months bonus?

alwaysnforever 06-04-2011 10:08 PM

btw is MX9 considered superscale? How does superscale G compare to MX9?

Unregistered 06-04-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 11020)
it is not accurate to compare monthly pay.
must look at annual package.

FOR 2010 lowest superscale (SR9) got $365,000.

http://app.psd.gov.sg/data/PSD%20pre...2024112010.pdf

This is only applicable to the elite Admin Service. The figure you quoted is the entry level superscale for Admin Service.

Of the rest of the public sector mortals, you can hardly dream of such pay.

For the general professional scheme, it is called the MX scheme.

MX9 is entry superscale but the scale ranges something like $11k to $16k per month.

Put in bonuses and you are looking at maybe $200K per year. Nowhere near the $365K for Admin Service.

Unregistered 06-04-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10996)

Absolute nonsense. Don't spout rubbish here please.

shaz 06-04-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 10987)
u would be an inspiration to other pass degree holders in civil service.
anyway u joined in 2007 and promoted to MX 12 ?
which month u join and which month u promoted? is it exactly 1 yr? isnt it jus probation finished?
i tot there is a promotion exercise, everybody promoted tgt?:confused:

I started work in a stat board in Sep 2005. Left and joined ministry in Aug 2007. Got my MX12 exactly one year later.

I'm 31 so my MX11 is nothing special lah. So many officers who are 3-4 years younger than me already earning MX11. Yup, I'm a guy... Did NS :)

shaz 06-04-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11004)
what is your starting salary in 2007 @ MX13 with your 'PASS' degree, are you a male with 'NS'?

I got 2nd lower NTU, also start work in mid 2007, now only getting $3.4k in private sector...well, I should work for government

Yes i did NS. My 1st pay was $2.7k (2005) in stat board. Then $3k as mx13 in 2007. U can do the math for the rest :)

blackswan 07-04-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11023)
This is only applicable to the elite Admin Service. The figure you quoted is the entry level superscale for Admin Service.

MX9 is entry superscale but the scale ranges something like $11k to $16k per month.

Put in bonuses and you are looking at maybe $200K per year. Nowhere near the $365K for Admin Service.

You are right.
It's probably ard there 200k. "principals on the Superscale ‘H’ salary grade, a good performer will get $193,000, while an outstanding one will get $218,000 per year."

if an admin service officer is already fast tracked then for same superscale grade he is already much younger than a superscale non AO. Then why are they earning so much more than a superscale non AO?

CEP doesnt differentiate AO Superscale and non-AO superscale?

Its like saying a scholar colonel earns much more than a non-scholar colonel:confused: Which doesnt make sense since both are colonels.

blackswan 07-04-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11023)

You are right.
It's probably ard there 200k. "principals on the Superscale ‘H’ salary grade, a good performer will get $193,000, while an outstanding one will get $218,000 per year."
More Pay and Bonuses for Teachers | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

if an admin service officer is already fast tracked then for same superscale grade he is already much younger than a superscale non AO. Then why are they earning so much more than a superscale non AO?

Its like saying a scholar colonel earns much more than a non-scholar colonel:confused: Which doesnt make sense since both are colonels.

k3vin 07-04-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 11028)
You are right.
More Pay and Bonuses for Teachers | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

Well, it isnt military service so that comparison is off.

But then again using your comparison, the commando/ndu colonels earn more than the technical colonel isnt it? Even within military service the payscale are different from engineers, pilots and logistics.

Besides AO and non AOs have different jobscope so their pays are bound to be different. Its comparing apples to oranges, jobscopes are different.

Unregistered 07-04-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10974)
For those old bird or ex-old bird in DSTA.

How much is the annual increment (for average performer)?

How much is the promotional increment (Let say from engineer to senior engineer for average performer)?

Don't believe I'll be able to find and dig out all those damned confirmation letters.
IIRC, ~5%, ~15% + 0.5mth promo bonus.

blackswan 07-04-2011 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11029)
Well, it isnt military service so that comparison is off.

But then again using your comparison, the commando/ndu colonels earn more than the technical colonel isnt it? Even within military service the payscale are different from engineers, pilots and logistics.

Besides AO and non AOs have different jobscope so their pays are bound to be different. Its comparing apples to oranges, jobscopes are different.

well i was just using military as an analogy.
Using your example as analogy, AO is like commando non-AO infantry.
Commando do different work as infantry so they paid differently is ok.
But supposed a commando colonel wants to be commander of OCS and another infantry colonel also wants to be commander of OCS. Would they be paid differently as commander OCS although do same work just bcos of vocation diff?

Superscale can be AO or non-AO.
My point is a ministry director of a particular division can be either AO or non-AO, so their work is similar. Unless some key divisions are reserved for AO directors only as the work is more impt /harder. Even then shd a more impt division director be paid 100k more than a less impt division director ?

i know AOs have additional duties like community attachments etc, again does it justify the huge difference in salary compared to a similar grade non-AO?

Unregistered 07-04-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 11031)
well i was just using military as an analogy.
Using your example as analogy, AO is like commando non-AO infantry.
Commando do different work as infantry so they paid differently is ok.
But supposed a commando colonel wants to be commander of OCS and another infantry colonel also wants to be commander of OCS. Would they be paid differently as commander OCS although do same work just bcos of vocation diff?

Superscale can be AO or non-AO.
My point is a ministry director of a particular division can be either AO or non-AO, so their work is similar. Unless some key divisions are reserved for AO directors only as the work is more impt /harder. Even then shd a more impt division director be paid 100k more than a less impt division director ?

i know AOs have additional duties like community attachments etc, again does it justify the huge difference in salary compared to a similar grade non-AO?

what a simpleton. you are actually completely wrong on so many counts. you can most definitely be paid differently for doing the same work. your value to the organization is NOT just what you produce in any given year, but also your LONG TERM value that's related to innate talent. AOs are AOs for a reason. They have been chosen for their helicopter view, their leadership quality, their versatility, and their potential as future PSLs. They may be doing the same thing as a non-AO for now, but they're paid more because it reflects the fact of their higher potential. of course, these are aspects of management you've never come across because of your low status, so you're reduced to simplistic comparisons of "more important work" and "less important division director" LOL.

alwaysnforever 07-04-2011 08:54 AM

another question, roughly what would you assume is the age you get promoted to your CEP grade? Assuming the "retirement age" of 55, although it is higher now, would hitting your 40s be a good assumption of your CEP level?

Eg. at 40 you get promoted to MX10, I guess it is fairly certain your CEP is MX10? Since MX9 is superscale, I would assume someone with that CEP would hit MX10 before they are 40 at least. Anyone think or know otherwise?

Unregistered 07-04-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11030)
Don't believe I'll be able to find and dig out all those damned confirmation letters.
IIRC, ~5%, ~15% + 0.5mth promo bonus.

Base on your info, I can summarize

annual increment = about 5%
promotion increment = about 15% (in additional with 0.5mth promotion bonus)

From previous post

2nd lower honours fresh grad getting = $3280 as of year(2010, same as year 2007)

if start work from 2007 july from fresh grad

Start pay in july2007 = 3280
Annual increment 5% in july2008 = 3444
Annual increment 5% in july2009 = 3616
Promotion increment 15% in apr2010 = 4158
Annual increment 5% in july2010 = 4366
Annual increment 5% in july2011 = 4584

My hypothesis shows that a 2nd lower hons fresh grad with 4 years of exp with DSTA can earn about $4500/mth, base on the info provided by this ex-staff. Well those having 2nd upper or even 1st class can get close or slightly more than 5k in 4 years. Am I correct?

The above figures does not includes any wage adjustments during the period of 4 years.

Please advise.

Unregistered 08-04-2011 05:15 PM

according to
http://www.npasu.org.sg/NewSal_Details_FAQ.pdf

polytechnic lecturer pay scale

how many years of experience is required to get PAX Grade 5A? if after few years of working experience and joined poly as lecturer. can get PAX Grade 5A?

Unregistered 08-04-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11089)
according to
http://www.npasu.org.sg/NewSal_Details_FAQ.pdf

polytechnic lecturer pay scale

how many years of experience is required to get PAX Grade 5A? if after few years of working experience and joined poly as lecturer. can get PAX Grade 5A?

i got a friend, after working 3 years in ST(salary b4 leaving abt 3k) , jump to another GLC. Then after 1 year, he quit GLC and be poly lecturer. Now as a poly lecturer for 2 years already, he is earning abt 5.2k, but i dunno wat grade is he? but base on the scale should be PAX Grade 5A.

total 4 years private sector exp + 2 years poly exp = 5.2k, hope this helps

blackswan 08-04-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11032)
what a simpleton. you are actually completely wrong on so many counts. you can most definitely be paid differently for doing the same work. your value to the organization is NOT just what you produce in any given year, but also your LONG TERM value that's related to innate talent. AOs are AOs for a reason. They have been chosen for their helicopter view, their leadership quality, their versatility, and their potential as future PSLs. They may be doing the same thing as a non-AO for now, but they're paid more because it reflects the fact of their higher potential. of course, these are aspects of management you've never come across because of your low status, so you're reduced to simplistic comparisons of "more important work" and "less important division director" LOL.

what a joke. u dont know me and u say i am low status? LOL
from your manners u r of even lower status.

anyway i nv say they need to be paid the same. The key point is they are paid vastly different. This will not be tolerated in private sector without justifications. You don't pay a person so much more than another when both got hold similar positions just because you think he/she got "long term value/innate talent" . Pay for performance not potential. Potential is a separate issue whereby u can fast track high potential officers or give them A BIT more.
Variables like qualifications and experience are fair justifications of pay differentials too but do not cause huge differentials.

I am just expressing my viewpoints if you cant accept it and start making personal attacks, then you must be some low self-esteem loser. :rolleyes:
A worshipper of AOs dreaming to be one? LOL
Wish u good luck but doubt u can make it with that low EQ of yours. :D

blackswan 08-04-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11032)

Also your failure to understand the basic rule of no personal attacks in public forum really shows your IQ is that of 3 year old.