Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 30-05-2010 10:48 AM

hmmm, i think if that person is a scholar and only in the service for 5 years, it is unlikely that he would get 7k also, maybe 6500 is the max.

that is excluding bonus. if he really get 7k, can you give us a breakdown of his past increment? curious to know too. Thanks.

Unregistered 04-06-2010 12:20 PM

Offered a gross salary of 2600 for HASE scheme. NUS 2nd lower honours with NS. Is that low? I checked the website and the salary stated there is like 2750 for non NS..

Unregistered 04-06-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6106)
Offered a gross salary of 2600 for HASE scheme. NUS 2nd lower honours with NS. Is that low? I checked the website and the salary stated there is like 2750 for non NS..

from the website Singapore Police Force - Career

Home Affairs Senior Executive
With NS = $2,791 - $3,397
Without NS = $2,400.00 - $3,006.00

i think 2nd lower with ns should get at least $3000

Unregistered 04-06-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6107)
from the website Singapore Police Force - Career

Home Affairs Senior Executive
With NS = $2,791 - $3,397
Without NS = $2,400.00 - $3,006.00

i think 2nd lower with ns should get at least $3000

yea exactly.. i dun think they are open to negotiations too right? sigh.. facing a conundrum..

Unregistered 06-06-2010 02:38 PM

can anybody shed light on the MX scheme i.e. the scales and progressions of the MX13, 12, 11 levels.
how hard is it to move into the admin scheme

starrxu 06-06-2010 09:05 PM

Substantive Grade (last revised in 2008)

New Salary Range

MX9
$10,580 – $14,550 /
$14,551 – $16,540

MX10
$ 6,350 – $ 9,050 /
$ 9,051 – $10,400

MX11
$ 4,100 – $ 6,160 /
$ 6,161 – $ 7,190

MX12
$ 2,340 – $ 5,340

Unregistered 06-06-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starrxu (Post 6134)
Substantive Grade (last revised in 2008)

New Salary Range

MX9
$10,580 – $14,550 /
$14,551 – $16,540

MX10
$ 6,350 – $ 9,050 /
$ 9,051 – $10,400

MX11
$ 4,100 – $ 6,160 /
$ 6,161 – $ 7,190

MX12
$ 2,340 – $ 5,340

why got 2 value?? for eg, MX11
$ 4,100 – $ 6,160 /$ 6,161 – $ 7,190

higher value is with NS????

Unregistered 07-06-2010 12:22 AM

Hi, i think i am paid like WAYYYYYYY below

$2.6K pm with AWS only

I have 5 years work experience, male, served the usual 2.5 years NS. 30 years old this year

I have a B.Sc from Uni Melbourne (2004)
MBA from Uni Western Australia (2009)

I think i am paid like the bottom of the rock?

Unregistered 07-06-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6136)
why got 2 value?? for eg, MX11
$ 4,100 – $ 6,160 /$ 6,161 – $ 7,190

higher value is with NS????

That is the junior / senior pay scale if i am not wrong. For every grade, MX 10 etc, there is a junior and a senior sub grade and their respective salary range. It is just stats board way of making the "ladder" longer to climb

Unregistered 08-06-2010 06:11 AM

just my 2 cents worth.

I know we are all comparing salary scales for civil servants at different grades. However, I think we need to see the bigger picture and work on the strategy on where the different career paths will look like. For Civil Servants and even teachers, you pretty much can tell roughly how much you will make by the time you reach 40. You can even calculate how much net worth you have by then. At some point, all of us have to make a choice. Either you continue the trajectory (which is fine by the way) and stay in government service all the way till retirement or gain whatever experience and move on to the private sector.

A typical graduate civil servant at the age of 35 would have picked up another another masters degree, making about 7-10k/month. Transitioning to the private sector is hard. Looking at my batch, many don't make the successful transition, and quite a few end up retrenched or unemployed by the time they reach 40-45. There have been some great success stories as well. The successful ones tend to be those that plan ahead. The ones that don't tend to be those that drift along and suddenly 'force' to leave either they cannot stand their idiotic bosses (which happen a lot in the government service) or they have some mid-life crises and see their peers in the private sector doing better than them. Many of you will have to face the crossroad. Spend more time thinking about this.

all the best!

Unregistered 09-06-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6145)
just my 2 cents worth.

A typical graduate civil servant at the age of 35 would have picked up another another masters degree, making about 7-10k/month. Transitioning to the private sector is hard. Looking at my batch, many don't make the successful transition, and quite a few end up retrenched or unemployed by the time they reach 40-45. There have been some great success stories as well. The successful ones tend to be those that plan ahead. The ones that don't tend to be those that drift along and suddenly 'force' to leave either they cannot stand their idiotic bosses (which happen a lot in the government service) or they have some mid-life crises and see their peers in the private sector doing better than them. Many of you will have to face the crossroad. Spend more time thinking about this.

all the best!

Making 7 to 10k per month as a typical civil servant at 35 years old is a rather optimistic projection but you are right to say that civil servants find it hard to move back to the private sector. This is partly due to the lifestyle of a civil servant and the fact that it is hard to move out without suffering a paycut.

Being retrenched from civil service is unheard of. Being removed is possible, but that is if the guy did something really terrible, otherwise civil service is a rather... civil employer, definitely more civil than many companies in the private sector.

Unregistered 24-06-2010 11:22 AM

Fresh Grad from NUS

Hi to all the veterans here, would like to seek some advice from you all

I am a recent graduate from NUS, 2nd class lower in Economics(FASS). I have accepted a job offer from one of the ministries here, gross starting pay is 3K including NS increments. Under the MX12 scheme, salary range is $1970 - $5340

I would like to ask the following

1)Roughly How much are the yearly increments? Each increment equates to a rank in the pay grade?

2)How many ranks would there be, in for example, the MX12 pay grade.

3)What would the promotion prosepects be like? Promotion to the next pay grade, MX11?

4)Given that i peform average-ly compared to my peers, where should i see myself in 5-10 years' time?

Sounds like a little ambitious when i haven't started work, but i would like to plan ahead and give myself something to aim for, rather than just work and be lost.

Unregistered 24-06-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6295)
Hi to all the veterans here, would like to seek some advice from you all

I am a recent graduate from NUS, 2nd class lower in Economics(FASS). I have accepted a job offer from one of the ministries here, gross starting pay is 3K including NS increments. Under the MX12 scheme, salary range is $1970 - $5340

I would like to ask the following

1)Roughly How much are the yearly increments? Each increment equates to a rank in the pay grade?

2)How many ranks would there be, in for example, the MX12 pay grade.

3)What would the promotion prosepects be like? Promotion to the next pay grade, MX11?

4)Given that i peform average-ly compared to my peers, where should i see myself in 5-10 years' time?

Sounds like a little ambitious when i haven't started work, but i would like to plan ahead and give myself something to aim for, rather than just work and be lost.

Congrats on getting a job.

1) The increments range from 100 - 200 per year. Depending on your ministry, boss, performance etc.
2) The old scheme has a junior and senior rank per grade but i think with the revised MX scheme they removed it. Check with HR?
3) For normal grads and if you work "normally" you should be promoted to MX 11 in your 3rd year of service (eg after 3 years) if not, time to jump ship my friend :)

Should you decide to stay 5 - 10 years, you should expect at least 2-3 grade promotions, a section head for your div dept

PS, i was once fresh grad like you, with the same ambitions etc. But really ministries are not staying as a career unless you plan on retireement or start a family (for woman). Good to plan ahead, and best wishes for your first job.

Unregistered 26-06-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6298)
Congrats on getting a job.

1) The increments range from 100 - 200 per year. Depending on your ministry, boss, performance etc.
2) The old scheme has a junior and senior rank per grade but i think with the revised MX scheme they removed it. Check with HR?
3) For normal grads and if you work "normally" you should be promoted to MX 11 in your 3rd year of service (eg after 3 years) if not, time to jump ship my friend :)

Should you decide to stay 5 - 10 years, you should expect at least 2-3 grade promotions, a section head for your div dept

PS, i was once fresh grad like you, with the same ambitions etc. But really ministries are not staying as a career unless you plan on retireement or start a family (for woman). Good to plan ahead, and best wishes for your first job.

On point no.3, promoted to MX11 in third year of service is considered rare rather than the normal. Plus TS has a second lower, slightly disadvantageous in the grand scheme of things. Staying on 5-10 years and getting 2-3 grade promotions is reasonable provided that TS performs slightly better than his peers at his ministry.

On the point about ministries not staying as a career, i beg to differ. To each his own, civil service pays quite well and its stability can be a plus point. One is encouraged to do postings at different ministries to get exposure too.

Unregistered 26-06-2010 06:14 PM

approring sunrises

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5961)
the second time I joined the stat board, I was close to 30. Obviously I got a bad deal taking 4.2k/mth at that age. However, my pte sector experience did help and I was promoted up one grade every year. Yes, it was quite rare, I was the top performer every year outdoing the scholars. I eventually left because of the glass ceiling for non-scholars.

Mind if I ask is being a scholar really that important in stat boards? what kind of scholars are you referring to? LKY scholar? President scholar? or any kind of scholars will do? I my self is a professional engineers board scholar. I was wondering if I'm considered a "scholar" if i were to join a stat board?

Unregistered 26-06-2010 06:17 PM

does anyone knows hows career prospect like with PUB? I have just graduated from NTU and heard that PUB pays the best among all stats board during a career talk by PUB. is that true?

Unregistered 27-06-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6313)
does anyone knows hows career prospect like with PUB? I have just graduated from NTU and heard that PUB pays the best among all stats board during a career talk by PUB. is that true?

what i heard is different. i heard mindef related agencies, i.e. DSTA, pay the most for starting salaries. but my seniors told me, you gotta quickly pick up skills and leave in 1-2years to join MNCs and consulting firms, else your market value will drop as time goes by. i think it's a good strategy.

Unregistered 28-06-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6317)
what i heard is different. i heard mindef related agencies, i.e. DSTA, pay the most for starting salaries. but my seniors told me, you gotta quickly pick up skills and leave in 1-2years to join MNCs and consulting firms, else your market value will drop as time goes by. i think it's a good strategy.

so what is the starting pay for dsta for year 2010 for fresh grad?

Unregistered 28-06-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6310)
On point no.3, promoted to MX11 in third year of service is considered rare rather than the normal. Plus TS has a second lower, slightly disadvantageous in the grand scheme of things. Staying on 5-10 years and getting 2-3 grade promotions is reasonable provided that TS performs slightly better than his peers at his ministry.

On the point about ministries not staying as a career, i beg to differ. To each his own, civil service pays quite well and its stability can be a plus point. One is encouraged to do postings at different ministries to get exposure too.

Not really i think. promoted to MX 11 after 3 years of service is normal. Promotion after one year service is rare.

of course it is to each his own, but for a fresh grad, perhaps by going the private sector and exp more, it is a better way of staying in the ministries as a career since grad. on the other hand, staying as a mid career switch maybe a good choice because of stability etc.

By the scholar, they usually mean those plp who have 5As or H1 in their A levels and have accepted a scholarship from one of the ministries or stats board.

Unregistered 28-06-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6310)

I don't think getting 2-3 promotions in 5-10 years is the norm. 3 promotions will get you to MX9 which pays more than 10k. You have to be a high flier to reach that level in your mid-thirties. That said, civil servants nowadays are drawing very decent salaries.

Unregistered 28-06-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6321)
Not really i think. promoted to MX 11 after 3 years of service is normal. Promotion after one year service is rare.

of course it is to each his own, but for a fresh grad, perhaps by going the private sector and exp more, it is a better way of staying in the ministries as a career since grad. on the other hand, staying as a mid career switch maybe a good choice because of stability etc.

By the scholar, they usually mean those plp who have 5As or H1 in their A levels and have accepted a scholarship from one of the ministries or stats board.

Since 2007/2008, promotion from MX13 to MX12 is almost a given for fresh graduates after 1 year in civil service. But the footnote is that the more 'zai' ones will be placed on perm estab while the less 'zai' ones will be given 3 year contract.

That said, for a fresh grad to be promoted to MX11 after 3 years, it means the person has to be promoted 2 times in 3 years which is not Toto-rare but more like 4D-rare.

Unregistered 28-06-2010 10:08 PM

saab is

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6322)
I don't think getting 2-3 promotions in 5-10 years is the norm. 3 promotions will get you to MX9 which pays more than 10k. You have to be a high flier to reach that level in your mid-thirties. That said, civil servants nowadays are drawing very decent salaries.

I had included the jump from MX13 to MX12 as promotion. Hence, getting from MX13 to MX 10 (3 promotions) within 5-10 years can be considered 'ok'.

But do agree that going to hit MX9 is rare because its considered superscale and as you have highlighted, it pays more than 10k. Once ppl hit MX9, they are highly unlikely to ever leave civil service =)

Unregistered 29-06-2010 12:06 AM

Hi,

Was reading the post and decided to post my 2 cents worth.

I am a teacher, male, 32, joined teaching 5 years ago, now making $5000/mth (including Subject Head allowance). Lower than many peers I know of at my age group.

Find the "Got Masters' degree, get increment story unbelievable" as I was told it was not considered for public sector, even from reputable universities as in my case. Now pursuing a PhD but was told that it was for my own personal growth and no increments will be given on completion.

Unregistered 29-06-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6331)
Hi,

Was reading the post and decided to post my 2 cents worth.

I am a teacher, male, 32, joined teaching 5 years ago, now making $5000/mth (including Subject Head allowance). Lower than many peers I know of at my age group.

Find the "Got Masters' degree, get increment story unbelievable" as I was told it was not considered for public sector, even from reputable universities as in my case. Now pursuing a PhD but was told that it was for my own personal growth and no increments will be given on completion.

Some subject heads make 100k, no? I heard it on radio.

Unregistered 29-06-2010 11:34 AM

How much does a fresh Masters grad in Engineering get paid working in a stat board?

Unregistered 29-06-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6332)
Some subject heads make 100k, no? I heard it on radio.

Possible. I am on the low end of the scale as my Master's degree not recognized and no work experience considered . My teaching peers with similar years of teaching experience have hit monthly $5.8k to $6k per month as a subject head (with increments for honors and work experience).

So calculation wise.

$6k x (12mths + 2.5 mths (Good PB) + 1 mth (AWS) + 0.5 mth + $300 (JUNE) + 1 mth (Year end estimated)) = $6k x 17 mths = $102.3k

However, I am still not there yet :) Still some ways away.

Unregistered 29-06-2010 01:53 PM

can anyone share what is the typical age or number of years of experience for a teacher to hit subject head and as the above suggests, drawing about 100kS$ annually?

Unregistered 29-06-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6335)
Possible. I am on the low end of the scale as my Master's degree not recognized and no work experience considered . My teaching peers with similar years of teaching experience have hit monthly $5.8k to $6k per month as a subject head (with increments for honors and work experience).

So calculation wise.

$6k x (12mths + 2.5 mths (Good PB) + 1 mth (AWS) + 0.5 mth + $300 (JUNE) + 1 mth (Year end estimated)) = $6k x 17 mths = $102.3k

However, I am still not there yet :) Still some ways away.

are you doubling counting the "1 mth (AWS)" and "1 mth (Year end)" ? or is the latter the 2nd installment of the PB, which means PB is 3.5 mths for the whole year?

deadman 29-06-2010 03:30 PM

hi.. im trying to understand the grading system in civil service
MX12 seems to be entry level
MX11 is do what position? mgr? team lead?
MX10, 9, 8?

im from private sector, if i jump into civil service, normally will i tio pay cut or increment?
cos i got info from recruit agency before, they pay according to age, working length and type of deg.. there's 1 time the agency quoted me the range of pay which they will pay me is much lower of what im getting right now.. :s :s

a little info abt myself:
28 yo
Graduate with part-time dist learning IT degree (AU)
start work 2005 (poly grad): 1.4k
2006 (poly): 3.2
2007 (poly): 4.2
2008 (deg): 4.6
2009 (deg): 4.9
2010 (deg): 6

so if i join civil service.. looking at my trend, will i fall into mx11?

Unregistered 29-06-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6339)
are you doubling counting the "1 mth (AWS)" and "1 mth (Year end)" ? or is the latter the 2nd installment of the PB, which means PB is 3.5 mths for the whole year?

Good economic year, teachers/civil servants get extra year end bonus as civil servants last year none (not sure the correct term for the bonus though) but estimated based on this year's growth should be similar to 2008 (extra 1 month)

Subject heads are not good estimates for salary drawn. Number of years in service is better gauge as there are yearly increments to your pay the more years you serve (until you hit the salary cap that is). I know of teachers in their late 30s drawing close to $7k+ but not subject heads as their first job is teaching.

Frankly, teachers don't stay long enough to reap the benefits of the salary increase. more than 50% of my NIE class have left service and more on the way (to add to that I just graduated from NIE 4 years ago!). Most leave once the bond is up as it sucked them dry. Word of warning to those thinking of joining; join for the love of teaching not money if not the three years of bond is worse than living through hell (ask any ex-teacher).

MOE has to raise the salary a bit to retain experienced teachers with some passion left to teach as good teachers earn more outside as freelance or tuition teachers with the flexibility of a better work life balance. Good tutors can earn double the $6k per month a regular teacher earns easy with enough reputation as a result getter for the kids.

Sorry for the long post. Just finished meeting for an event now waiting for the next meeting on curriculum to start at 4.15 pm so phasing out and doing a mental vomit here. That being said, teaching is truly a job that you can really enjoy if you are into it and willing to suffer the little (well sometimes big) irks along the way.

deadman 29-06-2010 04:36 PM

Hi.. im from private sector, whats the norm if i were to cross over to civil service? will it be a pay cut or increment? The reason i asked is because, i have met with agency folks that told me they pay according to age, working length and type of deg.. there's one time, they quoted me a pay range that i'll be getting which is much lower than what im being paid now.

A little history about myself.
28yo male graduated with part-time dist learning IT Deg

2005 (Poly): 1.4k
2006 (Poly): 3.2k
2007 (Poly): 4.2k
2008 (deg): 4.6k
2009 (deg): 4.9k
2010 (deg): 6k

looking at those MX grading systems forumer had shared.. if base on my salary trending.. will i hit MX11 if i cross-over?

Also, understand MX12 is entry level, what positions are normally hold by mx11, 10, 9 etc?

Thanks

starrxu 29-06-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6339)

For those who are not familiar with civil service, government usually pay out 3 bonus annually. The 1st is the performance bonus in April, 2nd is mid-year bonus and 3rd is year-end bonus (together with the AWS).

Total annual bonus, depending on various factors like your individual performance, country's GDP, economy, ranges from one/two months to four/five months or more.

Unregistered 02-07-2010 10:22 PM

Just for reference purposes, and if anybody wants to know, i'm already at MX12 when i started work(which was earlier this week)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6330)
I had included the jump from MX13 to MX12 as promotion. Hence, getting from MX13 to MX 10 (3 promotions) within 5-10 years can be considered 'ok'.

But do agree that going to hit MX9 is rare because its considered superscale and as you have highlighted, it pays more than 10k. Once ppl hit MX9, they are highly unlikely to ever leave civil service =)

Unregistered 03-07-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6386)
Just for reference purposes, and if anybody wants to know, i'm already at MX12 when i started work(which was earlier this week)

And this is because you have prior work experience and not a fresh graduate right?

Unregistered 03-07-2010 04:32 PM

Nope i'm a fresh graduate. Any working experience is limited to short-term temporary holiday jobs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6390)
And this is because you have prior work experience and not a fresh graduate right?

Unregistered 03-07-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6145)
just my 2 cents worth.

I know we are all comparing salary scales for civil servants at different grades. However, I think we need to see the bigger picture and work on the strategy on where the different career paths will look like. For Civil Servants and even teachers, you pretty much can tell roughly how much you will make by the time you reach 40. You can even calculate how much net worth you have by then. At some point, all of us have to make a choice. Either you continue the trajectory (which is fine by the way) and stay in government service all the way till retirement or gain whatever experience and move on to the private sector.

all the best!

That's some good advice given up there.

I am a poly lecturer and hold a masters degree. Have seen over the 8 years tenue, culture of the teaching environment here has changed dramatically.

Promotion is slow and it typically takes 6 years average to move on to the next grade. I joined when I was 28 yo , drawing a salary of $3.1k and now 8 years on, the salary is at a mere at $5 k ++ excluding bonus.

With an average bonus of 4 months (13th mths, 2 mths performance bonus and 1 mid year bonus) it should work out to be around $7k plus.

Looks like the poly lecturer's pay is below what is being discussed here ,and definitely much lower than what the MOE teachers are drawing.

Unregistered 03-07-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6391)
Nope i'm a fresh graduate. Any working experience is limited to short-term temporary holiday jobs.

are u 2nd upper or 2nd lower?

That mean any fresh degree holder who join civil service will be starting at MX12 instead of MX13??

Unregistered 03-07-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6392)

I am a poly lecturer and hold a masters degree. Have seen over the 8 years tenue, culture of the teaching environment here has changed dramatically.

Promotion is slow and it typically takes 6 years average to move on to the next grade. I joined when I was 28 yo , drawing a salary of $3.1k and now 8 years on, the salary is at a mere at $5 k ++ excluding bonus.

With an average bonus of 4 months (13th mths, 2 mths performance bonus and 1 mid year bonus) it should work out to be around $7k plus.

Looks like the poly lecturer's pay is below what is being discussed here ,and definitely much lower than what the MOE teachers are drawing.

Poly lecturers can moonlight and teach at SIM University to earn extra income. Some make use of the free time (lots of it) to start sideline businesses.

Unregistered 03-07-2010 09:40 PM

80k per annum is definitely not the highest salary but I will hardly consider that low at 36 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6392)

Unregistered 04-07-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6393)
are u 2nd upper or 2nd lower?

That mean any fresh degree holder who join civil service will be starting at MX12 instead of MX13??

Not to doubt you but think its very peculiar for a fresh graduate (with part-time work experience only) to start at MX12 and not MX13. How old are you?

Can elaborate on your part-time work experience?