Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 31-12-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195963)
My career is like this:

private > gov > private > gov

I did not regret going to private afte leaving gov the firs time round, as I get to try and learn new things which are good. Now back to gov... at the moment no plans to leave. But who knows what is the future?

private > gov got kena paycut?

Unregistered 31-12-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195944)
Me, i went private for a year and join back in govt, private so unstable, no increment when business no good and also im used to the one year 3 times bonus.. plus im already used to gov processes, so i join back in, never regret, think i will stay govt until retire.. u never go wrong with govt, salary always on time, got increment and bonus, welfare is there..

It depends on the private firm that you joined too.

Not wrong going back to govt for its stability.

Unregistered 31-12-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195965)
It depends on the private firm that you joined too.

Not wrong going back to govt for its stability.

be happy always 👍

Unregistered 31-12-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195987)
be happy always 👍

i was in private for 10 years before joining gov in 2019..
no pay cut, they match my pay..
no regrets for me join as mx11a in 2019, promoted mx10 this year.. 36 YO

Unregistered 31-12-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195964)
private > gov got kena paycut?

Why will paycut? My TC upped 100% lmao

Unregistered 31-12-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195916)
anybody jumped from govt to private and regretted their decision? did you manage to jump back into govt?

Basically I joined the Govt as a fresh grad, for almost a year. Job, work life, colleagues all are good. But I am not learning much hence I am thinking of jumping to private. But I also fear once I jump out I may not be used to the life in priv I might want to jump back but then scared Govt won’t want.

Unregistered 31-12-2021 06:14 PM

2022 will be a time of transition as the Singapore economy recovers from the pandemic, said PM Lee Hsien Loong in his New Year address.

He also hinted that the upcoming GST hike could be tackled in Budget 2022 on Feb 18.

Unregistered 31-12-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196002)
Basically I joined the Govt as a fresh grad, for almost a year. Job, work life, colleagues all are good. But I am not learning much hence I am thinking of jumping to private. But I also fear once I jump out I may not be used to the life in priv I might want to jump back but then scared Govt won’t want.

Advice: Do it, if you're referring to at least: i) an equivalent position at MNCs or ii) a position with more responsibilities (not necessarily higher pay) at startups/SMEs. One year is fine, any shorter than that and it reflects badly as other HR may assume that you have character/personality issues (some people are great at studies but just can't work for whatever reason). You are young, don't worry about lack of job opportunities - as long as you secure a job before leaving your current job.

Public sector pay is relatively high at the start (to hook fresh grads) but the increase is moderate over working life. PSD/HR knows that it starts to get difficult for people around 35-40 years old to jump to private sector (culture-wise and pay-wise), having spent so long in the public sector and possibly being saddled with other family responsibilities (e.g. new family, aging parents). This is when both annual increment and promotion stagnation for the average performer sets in. When young, learning opportunities and a good career mentor (i.e. your immediate boss!) are far, far more important than salary - and working life does not matter as much unless you have other family responsibilities.

Having said this, there can be much to learn in the public sector too. I used to work under an average farmer, before switching agencies to work under a scholar from a top international university. Both were public sector, but what I learned from the latter in just one month was already more than my few years under the former. Where my former boss decided that the best strategy was to sit back and let me run the show, my current boss actively guided me on getting stakeholders' buy-in, strategising presentations for exposure to management (important!), etc. Being good in academics myself (top international university as well but farmer), I found that this was exactly what I was missing - many bosses overly focus on developing hard skills and neglect teaching soft skills, when it's actually the soft skills that are more important for success and more transferable for future career changes.

Unregistered 31-12-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196026)
Advice: Do it, if you're referring to at least: i) an equivalent position at MNCs or ii) a position with more responsibilities (not necessarily higher pay) at startups/SMEs. One year is fine, any shorter than that and it reflects badly as other HR may assume that you have character/personality issues (some people are great at studies but just can't work for whatever reason). You are young, don't worry about lack of job opportunities - as long as you secure a job before leaving your current job.

Public sector pay is relatively high at the start (to hook fresh grads) but the increase is moderate over working life. PSD/HR knows that it starts to get difficult for people around 35-40 years old to jump to private sector (culture-wise and pay-wise), having spent so long in the public sector and possibly being saddled with other family responsibilities (e.g. new family, aging parents). This is when both annual increment and promotion stagnation for the average performer sets in. When young, learning opportunities and a good career mentor (i.e. your immediate boss!) are far, far more important than salary - and working life does not matter as much unless you have other family responsibilities.

Having said this, there can be much to learn in the public sector too. I used to work under an average farmer, before switching agencies to work under a scholar from a top international university. Both were public sector, but what I learned from the latter in just one month was already more than my few years under the former. Where my former boss decided that the best strategy was to sit back and let me run the show, my current boss actively guided me on getting stakeholders' buy-in, strategising presentations for exposure to management (important!), etc. Being good in academics myself (top international university as well but farmer), I found that this was exactly what I was missing - many bosses overly focus on developing hard skills and neglect teaching soft skills, when it's actually the soft skills that are more important for success and more transferable for future career changes.

Very informative. I find it hard to pick up soft skills. Do you have any recommendations how to do it outside work? Ty

Unregistered 31-12-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196031)
Very informative. I find it hard to pick up soft skills. Do you have any recommendations how to do it outside work? Ty

write more, speak more.