Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-09-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16174)
I am not a law student nor a lawyer, but I know people in both local and foreign firms, and also JLCs, so I speak with facts as I know it.

By magic circle, I meant the UK firms operating in Singapore like Links, A&O etc. Obviously A&G and WP will not pay freshies $9+ - their salary scale is quite transparent at about $5k.

And I am not saying that JLCs cannot find a job in private sector, but empirically, many stay back in civil service, and many who leave start off as a senior associate or as a junior partner in local firms. One high profile example is Chris De Souza, the PAP MP. I am not saying they cannot end up as equity partner, but that's what most start off as.

I make no value judgement, but as I have clearly set out above, all I am saying is: from a salary perspective, a JLC route seems to be less lucrative than joining a Linklaters (for example) or A&O. So, given that this is a salary forum, my question is why the author of the post has chosen this route rather than the more lucrative route.

For your response to be of any value to the forum, please stay away from generic answers on the job scope of JLCs and generic statements in regards to industry reputations of JLCs. It is well established that JLCs are highly regarded.

What is of value instead is (i) empirical examples of where most have ended up and (ii) empirical examples of the paths they have chosen to get there (i.e. stay as JLC for 3 years, then go join local/foreign house as senior associate/junior partner, then make senior/equity partner in [ ] years).

Only then, can we make an educated appraisal as to whether the private sector route or the JLC route is more appropriate for a top law student, if he is looking at things purely from a lifetime monetary perspective.

And let's be clear here. When u say private firms are keen to hire JLCs after their term at pay of above their peers, you have to be clear which set of peers you are referring to.

JLCs tend to be the cream of their cohort and hence it is meaningless to compare to the general lawyer population.

I venture that the more appropriate measure is vs their peers who had chosen to work at links, a&o, Davis Polk etc. Hence the more pertinent question is whether such international firms will pay more to bring in a jlc than a person of the same vintage whom they had hired directly.

scholar 12-09-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal (Post 16135)
nus law first class honours, 7.5k starting. justices' law clerk at supreme court

This is BS. Maybe if u include the bonus.

miwashi 12-09-2011 07:07 PM

omg
i have been working 8 years and do not even meet their starting pay. really elite stuff.

another scholar 13-09-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 16232)
omg
i have been working 8 years and do not even meet their starting pay. really elite stuff.

Ya cos its not true according to a couple of jlc friends of mine. Reality is quite a bit lower but they don't go into it for the money anyways. No other job gives u a better insight into the thinking of judges.

miwashi 13-09-2011 05:02 PM

in fact a lot of people do gahment jobs at an entry level just to gain insight into how gahment people work, so that they can springboard into private sector jobs that work with gahment agencies, after getting the basic experience. Many more prospects and options are available that way.

Unregistered 19-09-2011 05:18 PM

Anyone here working with NEA?

I want to apply for ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH EXECUTIVE position for degree holder.

How much salary to expect?(I male with NS, 4 years engineering exp, NUS 2nd lower)

How much is the annual increment?

How many months of bonus (inclusive AWS)?

Unregistered 21-09-2011 10:20 AM

Spring S'pore

Does anyone had any experience with Spring s'pore. Understand they're funding grants, conducting courses and other schemes to aid the local industry, entrep and sme. With 2nd up Hons in Biz Admin/Mkt (dist. part-time) and local Eng. Dip + 10over yrs exp. with MNC+SME. What's the pay like for mid/higher management level. Currently in corporate/biz dev. $5k

Thank you all.

Unregistered 21-09-2011 11:05 AM

By the end of this month, I will be leaving my civil service job, moving into a brand new role that is going to be more challenging, with greater prospects, more opportunity, better visibility and clearer KPI. Salary will increase by 20%.

The downside is that I will be working much longer hours and am liable to get kicked out real fast if things do not work out. That's the norm in a corporate environment really. I accept this and plan to slog for it.

This is a move that I have been contemplating for years. The civil service job is stable, pays relatively well and I knock off right on the dot most of the time. I joined the civil service at a time I yearned for stability. I am leaving because I already know the ending to this story. I do not mind this ending. It's a end where I will retire in my current job, performing the same role for the next 25 to 30 years. Yes, it is possible to be promoted, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I decided that this isn't how I want my story to end. It's a little like reading a book from the beginning after someone told you the ending. There's no trill in it anymore.

That said, I still do not know if I am making the right move. I would't really, until I look back years later.

Unregistered 21-09-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16416)
By the end of this month, I will be leaving my civil service job, moving into a brand new role that is going to be more challenging, with greater prospects, more opportunity, better visibility and clearer KPI. Salary will increase by 20%.

The downside is that I will be working much longer hours and am liable to get kicked out real fast if things do not work out. That's the norm in a corporate environment really. I accept this and plan to slog for it.

This is a move that I have been contemplating for years. The civil service job is stable, pays relatively well and I knock off right on the dot most of the time. I joined the civil service at a time I yearned for stability. I am leaving because I already know the ending to this story. I do not mind this ending. It's a end where I will retire in my current job, performing the same role for the next 25 to 30 years. Yes, it is possible to be promoted, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I decided that this isn't how I want my story to end. It's a little like reading a book from the beginning after someone told you the ending. There's no trill in it anymore.

That said, I still do not know if I am making the right move. I would't really, until I look back years later.

There is no need for a melodramatic recital for what is essentially a simple job change...

miwashi 21-09-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16366)
Anyone here working with NEA?

I want to apply for ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH EXECUTIVE position for degree holder.

How much salary to expect?(I male with NS, 4 years engineering exp, NUS 2nd lower)

How much is the annual increment?

How many months of bonus (inclusive AWS)?

quite standard, around $2800-3000 starting. The job involves going around checking for mosquitoes, ticketing hawkers for unclean practices, that kind of stuff. You may end up doing all and not focus on any in particular. Everything else is pretty standard with other gahment jobs.