Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

miwashi 30-09-2011 04:22 PM

how many years of work experience?
You can try what a lot of fresh graduates are putting these days (3300-3500).
When I just started I only got 3000 and I am a 2nd upper holder.

Unregistered 30-09-2011 05:00 PM

Whichever job you do, always work hard, try to perform, try to impress, try to learn ...

Work like you owe the job not the other way round, always learn more and do more than what your role requires.

Eventually the right opportunity and money will come.

Mine came in my 8th year working, before that was just pure work for very few pennies

tutorial 30-09-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 16772)
how many years of work experience?
You can try what a lot of fresh graduates are putting these days (3300-3500).
When I just started I only got 3000 and I am a 2nd upper holder.

I have about 1.5 years of working experience, two jobs but the pay was not what I was looking for then, it was satisfaction because I knew at that time I was coming over to the UK for studies. First job was great and my boss was perfect but it was something temporary and I knew it would come to an end. But my 2nd job was bad slightly higher pay though, but I was glad it was over. I am expecting my Masters, maybe 3.8 - 4.2 would be a good gauge or less since I did badly un my undergraduate days?

Unregistered 03-10-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16423)
thank for the reply,

I am not a fresh grad, $2800-3000 starting would not be relevant to me.

How much salary to expect?(I male with NS, 4 years engineering exp, NUS 2nd lower)

my last annual package = 67K

if you join the hawkers dept as EHE maybe got more chance of being recognised, cos they do a lot of upgrading works which may require engineering expertise.

the other track is the public health one, as someone described involves checking mosquitoes, fining illegal hawkers, etc. might be harder to match your last annual package cos it's less relevant.

Unregistered 04-10-2011 04:35 PM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16418)
There is no need for a melodramatic recital for what is essentially a simple job change...

your reply is damn win! :)

Unregistered 04-10-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16925)
your reply is damn win! :)

HAha... I agree!

Please allow me to copy this nice quote into my notebook (paper kind):

"There is no need for a melodramatic recital for what is essentially a simple job change..."
- Unregistered, 21-09-2011 11:28 AM, Salary.sg Forums.

Unregistered 05-10-2011 12:19 AM

trade offs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16930)
HAha... I agree!

Please allow me to copy this nice quote into my notebook (paper kind):

"There is no need for a melodramatic recital for what is essentially a simple job change..."
- Unregistered, 21-09-2011 11:28 AM, Salary.sg Forums.

haha well i do feel the dilemma of the melodramatic poster la. it's the uncertainty out there when taking the plunge and venturing out from public sector... but in his case it's a 20% pay rise, so why not yeah?

i actually do need some advice, maybe nice ppl in this forum can help me out here:

I'm planning for an eventual move out from public service to private, and I read somewhere from this forum that it's good to plan early so yup.

ok so some facts first.

23 yrs, 2+ years working experience in public service, graduated 1st class hons from overseas uni (not very fancy deg just a regular arts degree sigh)

starting salary (2009): 3.2k
end 2010: 3.7k
current: 4.2k

my performance rating last yr was c :( and my pb ard 2.5mths. I think i shld be on the equivalent of mx12.

questions:

when can i expect to hit ard $6k? or like will I ever, assuming my cep is like the grade before mid management?

im contemplating studying a professional degree like law. is it too late if i commence my 3yr jd or llb grad at 31 years old? Is it worth the effort and time considering what I can be earning in public service at 35 yrs old (the age I will be fully legally qualified) and also the foregone salary during the years of study?

are MNCs keen to hire cross overs from public service (say ard age 31) and is it very likely a pay cut is necessary?

keen to hear some views and sound advice thanks guys :)

Unregistered 05-10-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16952)
haha well i do feel the dilemma of the melodramatic poster la. it's the uncertainty out there when taking the plunge and venturing out from public sector... but in his case it's a 20% pay rise, so why not yeah?

i actually do need some advice, maybe nice ppl in this forum can help me out here:

I'm planning for an eventual move out from public service to private, and I read somewhere from this forum that it's good to plan early so yup.

ok so some facts first.

23 yrs, 2+ years working experience in public service, graduated 1st class hons from overseas uni (not very fancy deg just a regular arts degree sigh)

starting salary (2009): 3.2k
end 2010: 3.7k
current: 4.2k

my performance rating last yr was c :( and my pb ard 2.5mths. I think i shld be on the equivalent of mx12.

questions:

when can i expect to hit ard $6k? or like will I ever, assuming my cep is like the grade before mid management?

im contemplating studying a professional degree like law. is it too late if i commence my 3yr jd or llb grad at 31 years old? Is it worth the effort and time considering what I can be earning in public service at 35 yrs old (the age I will be fully legally qualified) and also the foregone salary during the years of study?

are MNCs keen to hire cross overs from public service (say ard age 31) and is it very likely a pay cut is necessary?

keen to hear some views and sound advice thanks guys :)

starting salary (2009): 3.2k---->Can I know you start your job in which month in 2009?
end 2010: 3.7k---->I assume in dec2010
current: 4.2k---->as of Oct2011

-May I know which part of the public service are you referring to? Ministry or Statboard?

I assume you are a female w/o NS.

I think you should stay with the public service. Why?
-within a period of 2 years you had an increment of $1000, which is alot!!

from 2009-2010, annual increment is 500 or 15.6%
from 2010-now, annual increment is 500 or 13.5%

That is alot!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

I work in STengineering(private sector), 4 years exp male ntu 2nd lower engineering
2007july-2900
2008july-3001(3.5% AI)
2009july-pay freeze
2010july-3418 (wage adj(+200) + annual increment(2.7% AI) + promotion(4%))
2011july-3737 (wage adj(+200) + annual increment(3.5% AI))

noted that all my performance grad is 'C'
---------------------------------------------------------------
as you can see, with 4 years exp, (3AI +2 wage adj + 1 promotion) = 4 years my total increment is mere $800+
---------------------------------------------------------------

private sector is annual increment sux all the way, worse than that in public sector.
I do known of few colleague/bosses with degree,
1 after 10 years exp getting 4.1k(inclusive 2 promotion)
1 after 18 years exp getting 6.5k(inclusive 3 promotion)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
please comment

miwashi 05-10-2011 01:04 PM

How did you get such huge increment? Are you one of those hi-poers?

Unregistered 06-10-2011 09:38 PM

Hello all

Wow this is an interesting (and long) thread.

I'm also interested to find out more as i have just joined the public sector.
I realise that on my contract there isnt any mention of any MX __ grade, but judging from what people have posted here i probably fall in MX12 range.
I was from pte sector, worked 4 years but i guess its irrelevant as the new job scope is totally different.
Where can i find more info about this pay scale used by ministries/stat boards?