Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 16-08-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54748)
if you really want to bargain you should do it before they prepare the letter. it is not up to the person who prepares the letter, probably it will go up to the directors for approval. Also, a $400 increase for a $2.6k salary probably wouldnt go through, just my opinion though.

Hi there!

thanks for your advice and feedback. Ok I will see how it goes..

Unregistered 16-08-2014 09:31 PM

Hi

Anyone knows how is the job grade comparison between GLC and MNC ?
Is all GLC follows E1,E2 then M1-6 and G1-3 grading system?
M4 being the benchmark of getting performance bonus?

While in MNC is either grade 10 to 1 or grade 1-10 then L to A?

Just curious how to make comparison between the job grade.

rollbread 18-08-2014 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibi (Post 54744)
Hi guys!

I am appointed as a HR MSO and have already got my provisional letter of appointment. I have 2 years odd (going 3 years) of experience in HR previously and the offered salary is $2.6K.

Is it too much if I were to ask for $3K when the actual letter of appointment is ready? Given that the standard of living is rather high now in SG, and the transport costs involved too as it is not really located near my residence?

Besides, when should I ask? When they ask me to sign the final letter of appointment, do I still have barganing power to propose to increase my salary to $3K?

Guys, please advise me~

Thanks in advance!

Actually u should be bargaining during the time when they offer you the 2.6k. I believe u had accepted the offer already so its not nice to ask for higher pay during the signing of letter. If your future manager is involved in the hiring process or the person approving the pay, then it won't look nice if you ask for higher pay after accepting the offer.

Anyway, they usually offer pay base on some sort of formulas and calculations. I've been to interviews at 2 stat board before and they didn't increase when I ask for higher pay. So even if you call them now to ask for higher pay, I believe very very high chance they won't increase the pay too.

Unregistered 18-08-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollbread (Post 54843)
Actually u should be bargaining during the time when they offer you the 2.6k. I believe u had accepted the offer already so its not nice to ask for higher pay during the signing of letter. If your future manager is involved in the hiring process or the person approving the pay, then it won't look nice if you ask for higher pay after accepting the offer.

Anyway, they usually offer pay base on some sort of formulas and calculations. I've been to interviews at 2 stat board before and they didn't increase when I ask for higher pay. So even if you call them now to ask for higher pay, I believe very very high chance they won't increase the pay too.

Agreed. Don't raise it up now unless you are prepared to walk away if (or when) they say no. It is unlikely that you'll get a new offer so the only thing you'll probably get for asking is leave a bad impression even before you start work.

Unregistered 19-08-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollbread (Post 54843)

Ok.. I have taken note of your advice.. Thanks for it rollbread! My ex colleague also said that it will look bad on me though.. Yes, the hiring manager is my big boss, who is the Assistant Director! I certainly will not want to cast a bad impression to them as that will affect my performance bonus..

But come to think back, previously I DREW $2.4K in private sector, and I don't know why I never indicate high expected salary where I have 3 years of experience from the private sector previously! zzzz haiz..

Appreciate your kind advice! (:

Unregistered 19-08-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54874)
Agreed. Don't raise it up now unless you are prepared to walk away if (or when) they say no. It is unlikely that you'll get a new offer so the only thing you'll probably get for asking is leave a bad impression even before you start work.

thanks for the advice! Yes, I also don't think I am prepared to walk away if they tell me no.. hahaa.. I definitely will not want to cast a bad impression too..

Slavemaster 20-08-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51329)
Hi. I am in a very similar predicament. Like me share my experience. I graduated from NUS Mechanical Engineering with a 1st Class Honours. Like many outstanding engineering graduates, I joined a big aviation MNC with the envy of many of my coursemates.

Soon, I find myself working from Mon-Sat and near to 12 hours a day (typical of engineers). I had what it takes in the company. Team was great and lots of exposure to projects. However, promotion seems far away as there are simply so many FT engineers slogging out hard. I had no time for anyone, including my family. Remuneration wise, I average $46k per annum as a junior engineer.

Fast forward 2 years, I made a difficult decision to jump to public service. I applied to one of the statboard as a policy executive. Things took a great turn. I was offered a salary of $4500 after confirmation. Average about 4.5 months bonus including AWS. I am making close to $75k per annum and $29k more than my previous job. I was rewarded financially but work was dull.

I did not regret the decision. Not only did I make $29k more, I had more time for myself and my family. I work from 8.00am to 5.00pm everyday, exactly what I am paid for. I did my best at work but also had a good balance of life with my family.

On weekends, I invest prudently with my salary. Many of my friends actually questioned my decision and believed I would do well outside with a 1st Class. I beg to differ. I merely trade it off for time to do my own things.

I do understand that my salary would eventually hit the ceiling in the statboard,. I don't mind. I continue to draw $9k/month with 8 hours of work and do my own investment outside. Who knows I might get successful and able to quite my job?

If I stayed in the engineering company, no doubts I would do well, but I would still continue with my pathetic salary and increment, slogging out 12 hours a day, 6 days per week.

Friend may i ask how old are you?

Im facing the same predicament.. O&G here.
Overworked and underpaid
Working alongside FT engineers who are on expat terms

Recently just got pay increase to 60k at 31 y.o.
Everyone says im doing well.. but despite slogging it out my salary isnt even near CS terms.

Slavemaster 20-08-2014 02:39 PM

Anyone knows the typical waiting time for stat boards to call for interview?
Been waiting for a month... only LTA has a portal to see status which says "prescreened"

Unregistered 20-08-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slavemaster (Post 55039)
Anyone knows the typical waiting time for stat boards to call for interview?
Been waiting for a month... only LTA has a portal to see status which says "prescreened"

Usually around a month. However there are instances whereby they will call you after more than a month. One possible reason I can think of is there are not enough pool of suitable candidates to be called up for an interview.

But usually, if not called by the end of one month, most likely you are not shortlisted for the interview.

Unregistered 20-08-2014 04:53 PM

Singtel is mainly owned by Temasek. Does it run like a GLC?
Are their pay grade similar to GLC?

I got a friend was offered a job as Senior Manager. He has 17+ year experience, 1st Class Hon, MBA. He has worked in overseas for 14 year, and looking to relocate back to SG.
He is not too sure about what to expect of a salary from Singtel.

Unregistered 20-08-2014 05:19 PM

been with this local mnc every since i graduated in 2005 with a start pay of 2.6k. been here slightly more than 8 years, promoted twice and now drawing about 4.3k. finally decided that its time to switch and decided on public service at a stat board which gave me an offer of increment of about 15%. still considering. kinda heavy hearted and duno what to do...

Slavemaster 20-08-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55071)
been with this local mnc every since i graduated in 2005 with a start pay of 2.6k. been here slightly more than 8 years, promoted twice and now drawing about 4.3k. finally decided that its time to switch and decided on public service at a stat board which gave me an offer of increment of about 15%. still considering. kinda heavy hearted and duno what to do...

Do you fear stepping out of your comfort zone or what?
If you have a family think of how the additional income can help.

I think CS is generally comfortable except for the politics and lack of purpose

Unregistered 20-08-2014 11:12 PM

Hi, was wondering if the duration of NS served (1 year 10 months vs 2 years due to NAPFA) would have an impact on the amount of NS allowance given in the civil service. I noticed that you are required to give your NAPFA and duration of NS liability served before attending the interview, and was wondering about it.

Unregistered 21-08-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slavemaster (Post 55095)
Do you fear stepping out of your comfort zone or what?
If you have a family think of how the additional income can help.

I think CS is generally comfortable except for the politics and lack of purpose

exactly.. out of comfort zone..

i think i more or less made up my mind already... $ talks.

Unregistered 23-08-2014 12:50 AM

Go for it , dun thk. these mncs are fattening their own profits without a care for their employees

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55071)

Unregistered 23-08-2014 11:59 AM

i'll be getting >120k this year in the civil service (male, early 30s)

not sure if i should make the switch to the private sector ?

i hope to one day make >200k p.a.

Xyz 23-08-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55295)

I assume you are deputy director level? That is quite fast as my friend only reached that level at 37. It would be a good idea to stay on and aim for director level then 200K will not be a problem. Less stress and shorter working hours compared to the private sector.

Unregistered 23-08-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xyz (Post 55308)
I assume you are deputy director level? That is quite fast as my friend only reached that level at 37. It would be a good idea to stay on and aim for director level then 200K will not be a problem. Less stress and shorter working hours compared to the private sector.

Thats completely achievable for most degree holders, assuming your PB is at least C grade.
120k annum would translate to somebody who's making about 6.5 - 7k per month. my guess is that you're been in service for about 7 years or so already.

For most people the problem is marketing yourself to the pte sector after sitting through 7years of relative rot in the CS.

Unregistered 24-08-2014 11:47 AM

30yo male, degree holder, been working six years in a ministry, and earning $6k per month (basic). May I know how do I fare, in comparison with others with similar profile?

Unregistered 24-08-2014 01:20 PM

Can I check what's the increment for C performer in mx11? Is it a fixed quantum type of increment or based on % of base salary?

Unregistered 24-08-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55341)
Can I check what's the increment for C performer in mx11? Is it a fixed quantum type of increment or based on % of base salary?

Fixed.

Quantum also depends on CEP.

Unregistered 24-08-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55346)
Fixed.

also depends on how far are u from the ceiling. The nearer you are to the ceiling the less the quantum. I have gotten 50 bucks before. That was when I reached my ceiling 5 years ago before I left for private. Now with kid, dunno whether should go back to civil service. pay cut jialat jialat. sigh.

Unregistered 24-08-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55346)
Fixed.

Based on your past experience, is the quantum around 300 or 350? My colleague told me she received about 6% in the past two years so she thought it's a percentage quantum. Thanks for letting me know that it's a fixed quantum.

Unregistered 24-08-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55354)
also depends on how far are u from the ceiling. The nearer you are to the ceiling the less the quantum. I have gotten 50 bucks before. That was when I reached my ceiling 5 years ago before I left for private. Now with kid, dunno whether should go back to civil service. pay cut jialat jialat. sigh.

Hmm...are you referring to the mx11 bar or ceiling? Prior to Aug 2014, there used to be a bar at $6780.

Unregistered 25-08-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55295)

You will be surprise that the pte sector does not pay as well and it will be very difficult for u to match your pay outside. I don't understand how the civil service keeps insisting that they are underpaid. What is the basis of comparison?

rollbread 25-08-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55374)
You will be surprise that the pte sector does not pay as well and it will be very difficult for u to match your pay outside. I don't understand how the civil service keeps insisting that they are underpaid. What is the basis of comparison?

I don't understand either. When I just join stat board, alot of them asking why jump to civil service when pte sector pay is much better, bonus is more and etc....

Surprisingly and funny that some of them didn't even work in pte sector before and all of them just heard from others that pte sector pay is much better.

Unregistered 25-08-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollbread (Post 55375)
I don't understand either. When I just join stat board, alot of them asking why jump to civil service when pte sector pay is much better, bonus is more and etc....

Surprisingly and funny that some of them didn't even work in pte sector before and all of them just heard from others that pte sector pay is much better.

if you compare against professional jobs or investment banking positions then of course, the civil service is underpaid. but so are 80% of other jobs out there!

i would say no harm sending out your resume. if u get a better job then good for you!

Unregistered 25-08-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55370)
Based on your past experience, is the quantum around 300 or 350? My colleague told me she received about 6% in the past two years so she thought it's a percentage quantum. Thanks for letting me know that it's a fixed quantum.

Not sure about the quantum for C.

Had B and B+; both 400+ (exact same quantum both times)

Unregistered 25-08-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55389)

Icic ok thanks. Is the PB for B in mx11, 4 mths? Heard it's 2.5 mths for C+ and 1.75 mths for C.

Unregistered 26-08-2014 10:43 AM

i am MX 11

got a B last year. increment was only 3xx (<350)

Unregistered 26-08-2014 12:17 PM

Anyone has any idea whether the PSLP payment will be raised with the recent MX pay review?

Unregistered 26-08-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55442)
i am MX 11

got a B last year. increment was only 3xx (<350)

What's your age? What's your increment in percentage terms?

Unregistered 26-08-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55450)
What's your age? What's your increment in percentage terms?

~5%

30 yo

Unregistered 26-08-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55484)
~5%

30 yo

Hmm I recall receiving B in mx12 a few years ago and got almost 350 for increment. Seems like increment for B in mx11 and mx12, are similar?

Unregistered 27-08-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55389)

Have you been emplaced in mx11a?

Unregistered 27-08-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55491)
Hmm I recall receiving B in mx12 a few years ago and got almost 350 for increment. Seems like increment for B in mx11 and mx12, are similar?

I think it depends on your CEP. Been getting $400+ (>$450) MI since being on MX11.

Unregistered 27-08-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55492)
Have you been emplaced in mx11a?

Yepz. Was lucky I managed to cross the bar within a couple of years of getting on mx11.

Unregistered 27-08-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55508)
Yepz. Was lucky I managed to cross the bar within a couple of years of getting on mx11.

think different agency different mx grades?

i know some agency start from mx1 then mx2 and so on...

Unregistered 27-08-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55508)

how old were you when you crossed the mx11 bar? NS / no NS?

Unregistered 27-08-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55507)
I think it depends on your CEP. Been getting $400+ (>$450) MI since being on MX11.

when you received $400+(>450), what was your peformance rating in mx11? did you get B?