Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 07-08-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40912)
Hi all,
Currently finishing my NS stint and have a place in ntu to study civil engineering with a biz minor. At the same time I am also considering pursuing a law degree in the uk after first completing a foundation year, as my grades are not enough for direct entry.

To be honest I do not really know where my interests and passions lie as I have not had sufficient exposure in either industry. I see myself as an outspoken person who can communicate effectively with others. My main factors for consideration would be a comfortable salary where I can help contribute to my family's finances. I do not mind working long hours, but just some recreation time.

Hope the seniors here can give some advice on whether engineering (or using it as a stepping stone to other industries) would be a good choice or since my parents can support me in the short term would the chance to study law be better.

Law. don't ever do engineering.

Unregistered 10-08-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33154)
Really depends what kind of engineer you are...

If you are a civil/mechanical engineer who works in a shipyard/manufacturing plant, I bet life will suck.

I'm a computer engineer graduated in 2010. I work for a US MNC in the city. Pay is 80k+ SGD. I'm sure the pay I'm getting for my experience is a lot better than an average junior analyst at many local/foreign banks. ( my sis works in a foreign bank as an analyst and makes 2.5k less than me a month).

However only about 10% of my colleagues are Singaporeans. Sometimes i wonder, my pay not bad, office is sleek, work-life balance is excellent, free lunch perks, but why are there no qualified singaporeans who want to do this job? Yet there are so many Singaporeans who fight over bank jobs that pay 3k-5k a month?

I grad a yr earlier than from EE and last yr I was already getting 50k more than your current pay.. foreign bank as a real analyst, doing real anaylsis as in my job role is really a research analyst..
not those back office executive whose title is analyst but they actually doing min numbing job,

Fugutaiten 10-08-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41043)
I grad a yr earlier than from EE and last yr I was already getting 50k more than your current pay.. foreign bank as a real analyst, doing real anaylsis as in my job role is really a research analyst..
not those back office executive whose title is analyst but they actually doing min numbing job,

Hi, may i know the transition from Engineering to finance line difficult? May i know what class of honour did you get?

Unregistered 29-08-2013 07:25 PM

haha. dont talk nonsense lah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugutaiten (Post 41044)
Hi, may i know the transition from Engineering to finance line difficult? May i know what class of honour did you get?

Unregistered 30-08-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40331)
why can't they use cheap foreigners for finance?

Because techinical and engineering subjects is very hot for them... the reason is because many of them don't have a strong command of english... so Business, Management, Law which requires alot of communication is generally not their top choice.

Their home industry and environment is much like singapore's 70s... booming with alot of opportunity in manufacturing and production... thus very industrial and engineering mindset.
Much like in the 70s and 80s... being and Engineer can be quite satki

Unregistered 31-10-2013 05:25 PM

To be honest, every job has its pros and cons.
In banking, you work unearthly hours but roll in the dough. Little or almost no travel.
In engineering, you work pretty much decent hours, with lower pay but you get to travel, whether extensively or not depends on the field. Customers love you because you solve their problems.
In sales, you live the high life at company expenses but customers hate the sight of you.

Depends on what you want. Just make sure that whichever field you go to, get the perks that comes with being in the field, be it money, travel or commission. There is no win all job.

aspenx 31-10-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curious guest1 (Post 40367)
not sure what are local engineers in charge of? planning? or labour?

There are actually several areas where employers would choose you over a foreign engineer provided you have decent technical knowledge, aptitude and a "plus alpha".

Unregistered 01-11-2013 10:11 AM

i left my job as an electronics engineer after 5years, launched 3systems, 8products and numerous mobile and web apps.

Now i am in the logistics doing email replying and excel data entry "admin" work, $450 increment, no unpaid OT and i heard this year bonus is 2mths more then wat i would have gotten.

Not to mention this job is much easier.

aspenx 01-11-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 44762)
i left my job as an electronics engineer after 5years, launched 3systems, 8products and numerous mobile and web apps.

Now i am in the logistics doing email replying and excel data entry "admin" work, $450 increment, no unpaid OT and i heard this year bonus is 2mths more then wat i would have gotten.

Not to mention this job is much easier.

What is the job title and company?:confused:

Unregistered 05-11-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 44784)
What is the job title and company?:confused:

Its a shipping MNC located near habourfront. good remuneration with free outdoor games to play every month