Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 05-12-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46032)
Whoa, to be fair, engineers nowadays are churned out by the thousands by both local and overseas Unis. Some are sponsored by prospective employers and others on their own steam. Some graduate from top ranked Unis and some from not-so prestigious Unis.

So there is a wide spectrum of capabilities out there. Some will do well becoming technical managers (managerial track) while some will develop along the technical career ladder. As in many other professions, there will be the non performers.

I cannot comment on how engineers perform in the private sector as the employers / companies are way too varied - from the very established companies like IBM, HP to very small SMEs. But in the Civil Service and Defense Industry side, engineers are paid quite well. Good honours fresh grads joining the CS / Military can expect up to $4K pm. Their careers some more quite stable with many opportunities for professional training and upgrade. Understand they are even given increments for advanced degrees! Many of the bosses are themselves engineers so there is less of an issue about being too technical with the bosses.

Actually the only issue with the CS/Military/Defense industry is that they are choosy tending to take in only Upper honours and above. But they are prepared to pay higher for these talents.

I agree that the military / defence related engineering jobs being higher paid, but readers should take note that that is only in certain govt sectors such as DSTA, DSO, TL and that's pretty much it.

What kind of boss you get depends in the dept. Some were very experienced engineers who worked their way up, and these are the best bosses any capable engineer would want. Most others, unfortunately, are scholars who are promoted very quickly to managerial roles and have little working ecperience, let alone engineering skills. I am usually wary of young managers or project leaders that are my interviewers. They may spell certain doom to the project you are assigned to, along with your career!

I also agree with the choosy part. Checked with my cousins that guys with 1st class got offered mid to high 4k+, and for 2nd upper, not all got offered. That's a lot for fresh grads!

Unregistered 05-12-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46037)
I agree that the military / defence related engineering jobs being higher paid, but readers should take note that that is only in certain govt sectors such as DSTA, DSO, TL and that's pretty much it.

What kind of boss you get depends in the dept. Some were very experienced engineers who worked their way up, and these are the best bosses any capable engineer would want. Most others, unfortunately, are scholars who are promoted very quickly to managerial roles and have little working ecperience, let alone engineering skills. I am usually wary of young managers or project leaders that are my interviewers. They may spell certain doom to the project you are assigned to, along with your career!

I also agree with the choosy part. Checked with my cousins that guys with 1st class got offered mid to high 4k+, and for 2nd upper, not all got offered. That's a lot for fresh grads!

And not forgetting the SAF jiak liao bee retirees parked at these places permanently.

Unregistered 06-12-2013 09:44 AM

Almost fell off my seat reading about you almost falling off your own seat.

Granted if good engineers after a few short years would be driving their own cars , you don't assume those finance professionals would be able to do so too given the same timeframe?

The comparison was apples to apples. It is obvious to everyone that your simple mind can't comprehend simple English.

To give you the benefit of doubt , assuming finance professionals do get to own their cars after working for a few short years , they will most likely be driving decent BMW s Audis Lexus and the likes. Take a look at the OCBC tower carpark at Chulia street vs the run-of-the-mill cars at an engineering firm. I will contend too there are some more than decent cars at the latter, but I would dare say the former has a higher percentage and likelihood. I say this because I have personally had the chance to observe both.

I pity your naivety in thinking and uncouth logic in your thought process. Good luck in defending your principles.




Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46024)
Almost fell off my seat reading this. You one big joker.

Most good engineers, after a short few years on the job would be driving their own cars. You wont see them at either MRT station.


Unregistered 06-12-2013 11:22 AM

You very clever ah, twisting and turning like a snake. Change boundaries as and when you like. You said go MRT station and observe.

Now you said ok, lets look at the cars they drive.

Why dont you lay out all the other factors to consider.

Snake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46054)
Almost fell off my seat reading about you almost falling off your own seat.

Granted if good engineers after a few short years would be driving their own cars , you don't assume those finance professionals would be able to do so too given the same timeframe?

The comparison was apples to apples. It is obvious to everyone that your simple mind can't comprehend simple English.

To give you the benefit of doubt , assuming finance professionals do get to own their cars after working for a few short years , they will most likely be driving decent BMW s Audis Lexus and the likes. Take a look at the OCBC tower carpark at Chulia street vs the run-of-the-mill cars at an engineering firm. I will contend too there are some more than decent cars at the latter, but I would dare say the former has a higher percentage and likelihood. I say this because I have personally had the chance to observe both.

I pity your naivety in thinking and uncouth logic in your thought process. Good luck in defending your principles.


Unregistered 06-12-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46062)
You very clever ah, twisting and turning like a snake. Change boundaries as and when you like. You said go MRT station and observe.

Now you said ok, lets look at the cars they drive.

Why dont you lay out all the other factors to consider.

Snake.

you are such an engineer. only want clear rules and only play within the boundaries. sigh.

- another observer

Unregistered 06-12-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46062)
You very clever ah, twisting and turning like a snake. Change boundaries as and when you like. You said go MRT station and observe.

Now you said ok, lets look at the cars they drive.

Why dont you lay out all the other factors to consider.

Snake.

Seriously your argument is super cui. Yes he said go mrt observe. You're the one who brought car in in the first place. Why didn't you stay within the boundary? What makes you think people from the finance industry wouldn't upgrade into a car? I don't agree with what he is saying but your poor argument skill is doing you no favors.

Now between engineering and finance, you should choose the one you have the passion for. Don't look at lifestyle and etc. engineers in general makes more than enough to have a comfortable life. Choosing a industry base on where the money is will just cause you to burn out and reach mid life crisis even faster.

Unregistered 12-03-2014 10:22 AM

I made about 150K as a senior support engineer for a US company, performing software support.

I start at 9am and leave on the dot.

The job wasn't really challenging so I left the company. I'm hunting for my next job at the moment.

There's a way to get high pay that most engineers wouldn't do. I'll be happy to share.

Unregistered 14-03-2014 09:51 PM

How about a prospective student going to study chem eng in NTU. Is it good?

Unregistered 14-03-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 49364)
How about a prospective student going to study chem eng in NTU. Is it good?

no it is not.

Unregistered 15-03-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 49364)
How about a prospective student going to study chem eng in NTU. Is it good?

It's ok if you enter oil and gas, but make sure you like the job nature.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2