Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 24-07-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious guest1 (Post 40312)
Is there still a future for engineering ,say 9-10years later?

assuming your just an average engineer, not really the top.

Is it possible to hit a 5k-6k pay per month?

and also how long will it take to do.

More interested in automation and mechatronic fields.
not so much on chemical

Hmm....it's possible to hit 5k after 10 years provided your company last long without any retrenchment. Since you aim to become average, go join public sect. Can hit 5k after 10 years.

However, with so much ppl flocking to accounting and finance field, there will be a demand for engineers down the road...
(OOPS! provided that sg dont chiong for the 6.9 population. If not your job will be overtaken by cheap labours.)

Unregistered 25-07-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40313)
Hmm....it's possible to hit 5k after 10 years provided your company last long without any retrenchment. Since you aim to become average, go join public sect. Can hit 5k after 10 years.

However, with so much ppl flocking to accounting and finance field, there will be a demand for engineers down the road...
(OOPS! provided that sg dont chiong for the 6.9 population. If not your job will be overtaken by cheap labours.)

Totally agreed with the above! if you are aiming for average, join public service, after 10years will be 5k, I noe many people with 2nd upper that are only floating around the 4.5k range after 8-9years they are mostly mechanical and electronics design engineers.

The problem with mechanical is that, after 3years its basically a 3 * x years of experience. 10 years - 3 years of the same thing. So the company can easily source a younger, more motivated, and maybe foreign engineer to replace you.

I am a software engineer, i have 1 * 11years experience, which is 1 year of all the different and useless languages and api that i have used over the years. Cheap Vietnamese are coming to kick me off my seat now

Unregistered 25-07-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40328)
Totally agreed with the above! if you are aiming for average, join public service, after 10years will be 5k, I noe many people with 2nd upper that are only floating around the 4.5k range after 8-9years they are mostly mechanical and electronics design engineers.

The problem with mechanical is that, after 3years its basically a 3 * x years of experience. 10 years - 3 years of the same thing. So the company can easily source a younger, more motivated, and maybe foreign engineer to replace you.

I am a software engineer, i have 1 * 11years experience, which is 1 year of all the different and useless languages and api that i have used over the years. Cheap Vietnamese are coming to kick me off my seat now

why can't they use cheap foreigners for finance?

Unregistered 25-07-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40331)
why can't they use cheap foreigners for finance?

Good question. I wonder why they don't want to use cheap foreigners for finance and accountants. Since accountants are doing repetitive work, foreigners are suited for this job!

Unregistered 25-07-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40332)
Good question. I wonder why they don't want to use cheap foreigners for finance and accountants. Since accountants are doing repetitive work, foreigners are suited for this job!

What nonsense is that. Who would want their own money be managed by outsiders?

Unregistered 25-07-2013 02:36 PM

Hi, theres alot of debate on foreigners in engineering. At first, i thought that they are mostly here to study and go back to their country. Low tier engineering are mostly foreigners. What about degree level? I am at my final year in eee. Can anyone enlighten me if theres alot of foreigners in public sector engineer?

curious guest1 25-07-2013 11:47 PM

responsibilities

wa 10 years to hit 5k ,tats quite long

btw what do foreign engineers do (their responsibilities) compared to responsibilities of locals engineers

average engineer vs Average in financial sector
which will do better since The financial sector quite competitive, more and more people flecking there.

not sure what are local engineers in charge of? planning? or labour?

Unregistered 26-07-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curious guest1 (Post 40367)
wa 10 years to hit 5k ,tats quite long

btw what do foreign engineers do (their responsibilities) compared to responsibilities of locals engineers

average engineer vs Average in financial sector
which will do better since The financial sector quite competitive, more and more people flecking there.

not sure what are local engineers in charge of? planning? or labour?

Chill la guys! Didnt one guy just posted that he got 5k after 5years in dsta? The thread is super supportive of dsta work environment too

Unregistered 07-08-2013 03:06 PM

ntu civil engineering or law foundation in uk

Hi all,
Currently finishing my NS stint and have a place in ntu to study civil engineering with a biz minor. At the same time I am also considering pursuing a law degree in the uk after first completing a foundation year, as my grades are not enough for direct entry.

To be honest I do not really know where my interests and passions lie as I have not had sufficient exposure in either industry. I see myself as an outspoken person who can communicate effectively with others. My main factors for consideration would be a comfortable salary where I can help contribute to my family's finances. I do not mind working long hours, but just some recreation time.

Hope the seniors here can give some advice on whether engineering (or using it as a stepping stone to other industries) would be a good choice or since my parents can support me in the short term would the chance to study law be better.

Unregistered 07-08-2013 03:15 PM

ntu civil engineering or law foundation in uk

Hi all,
Currently finishing my NS stint and have a place in ntu to study civil engineering with a biz minor. At the same time I am also considering pursuing a law degree in the uk after first completing a foundation year, as my grades are not enough for direct entry.

To be honest I do not really know where my interests and passions lie as I have not had sufficient exposure in either industry. I see myself as an outspoken person who can communicate effectively with others. My main factors for consideration would be a comfortable salary where I can help contribute to my family's finances. I do not mind working long hours, but just some recreation time.

Hope the seniors here can give some advice on whether engineering (or using it as a stepping stone to other industries) would be a good choice or since my parents can support me in the short term would the chance to study law be better.