Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 27-03-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 49870)
and yet i thought my salary is still not good enough, hmm...

hello friend, there will always be someone whose salary is better. what is more important is contentment and fulfillment in life.

aspenx 27-03-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 49278)
There's a way to get high pay that most engineers wouldn't do. I'll be happy to share.

Share then.

Unregistered 28-03-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 49278)
I made about 150K as a senior support engineer for a US company, performing software support.

I start at 9am and leave on the dot.

The job wasn't really challenging so I left the company. I'm hunting for my next job at the moment.

There's a way to get high pay that most engineers wouldn't do. I'll be happy to share.

sell souce code?

Unregistered 30-03-2014 11:54 PM

engineers in the high tech industry do get paid pretty well.. you can find some millionaire engineers around..

Unregistered 31-03-2014 12:04 AM

My husband had an Engineering honours degree and he has been in and out of jobs for 12 years...says he will never let our 2 sons take up Engineering...

Unregistered 31-03-2014 07:15 AM

This is sad. I am in an engineering profession, and in my company, quite a high number of my seniors have clocked above 30 years of work with the same company. While admittedly some are in management roles now, others are still doing technical work albeit as technical leads or technical managers.

It seems like parents usually don't want their children to do what they do. For eg, one of my younger colleague went to do engineering because the father told him not to be a doctor due to the long hours and constant exposure to sick people. Business people especially those not whose businesses are struggling are advising their children not to go into business because of the unstable income, long hours and the fact they have to take care of everything themselves.

For me, I have been with the same company for close to 30 years. My seniors are role models for me, and likewise I hope that my junior engineers will stay on with us. Engineering is hard work, but the satisfaction comes from the product the team collectively produce. Pay wise is decent. If you work long enough, sure can afford a condo and a car, and still save enough for retirement.

And engineering training makes a person versatile. The fact that your husband can change jobs a few times is testament to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50004)
My husband had an Engineering honours degree and he has been in and out of jobs for 12 years...says he will never let our 2 sons take up Engineering...

Happyman04 31-03-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50004)

I myself took a long painful 4 years to get out of engineering. will never advise my children to read engine. one of the worst mistakes for me personally, this applies to me and may not do so for others.

depressed wages. stiff competition with foreigners willing to take lower salary. terrible work life balance. and what's worse even the social caste system does not favour factory workers or engineers. mrt got free ride to cbd area but not to jurong Tuas or industrial areas!!!! hahaha..

aspenx 31-03-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyman04 (Post 50012)
mrt got free ride to cbd area but not to jurong Tuas or industrial areas!!!! hahaha..

True. Then again some bigger companies would provide free shuttle bus service.

Unregistered 01-04-2014 07:16 PM

Poor Engineer.

What its like to be an engineer in a sales meeting

://twentytwowords.com/like-engineer-sales-meeting/

Hahahaha...sad life.

Unregistered 01-04-2014 07:18 PM

.twentytwowords.com/like-engineer-sales-meeting/