Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

rockers87 21-07-2014 12:43 PM

engineering industry

in my opinion and from my experience, many engineering companies in sg (esp oil & gas, building contruction) prefer foreigners. And they are fresh grads holding onto EP (min. salary of $3,300/mth).

first of all, is much higher than myself and my local counterparts, apart those who are involved in research works such as a*star.

secondly, tried before similar companies such as the one I mentioned who has EP and even in the oil & gas industry. no news from any of such companies at all.

are local singaporeans who has the qualifications from either local or overseas (Aust, or UK) insititutions less preferred?

or simply because local singaporeans are being sterotyped in being unable to work under harsh enviroments? (what are NS combatants for?0

this is why many academically qualified local engineers are involved in the financial industry.

food for thought.

cheers.

Unregistered 21-07-2014 01:58 PM

my opinion as a general whole:

- most oil&gas or other entities are majority held by foreign companies, and because they pay top dollar, they attract talent from all over the place. compare GPA to GPA to see the difference.

- Whether US or UK degree, it all boils down to the ranking or tier of institution you attend, which plays a big part.

- there are more than 500 financial institutions in sg alone. the industry can absorb people all over the place. compared to the number of oil & gas service sectors.

now it all boils down to what kind of engineering you want to do, and see if the supply is available. compare market size and see if ROI is sustainable. IMO China is the next place to do engineering.

Unregistered 26-07-2014 12:05 PM

woo, it took me some time to read the whole 100+ pages of comments.
I see a lot of comparison with banking and engineering in pure technical, but could anyone share information on management role?

I am currently a fresh grad of mechanical with 2nd upper. I do know the only way to earn big for technical is oil and gas. I am actually not a tech guy and I prefer to go and meet people, do management things. Any career path can be suggested? Thanks.

Unregistered 26-07-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53846)
I see a lot of comparison with banking and engineering in pure technical, but could anyone share information on management role?

I am currently a fresh grad of mechanical with 2nd upper. I do know the only way to earn big for technical is oil and gas. I am actually not a tech guy and I prefer to go and meet people, do management things. Any career path can be suggested? Thanks.

Start with a few years of engineering and with the strong understanding, try to move to a sales, marketing, program or contract manager, or other position which allows you to meet customers and lead a bigger team. There is no way to start and starightaway become a manager, start low and work your way up. Gd luck!

Unregistered 26-07-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53846)

bro i also mech engine. i gave up and joined finance.

never looked back. starting pay was 5 fig alr and i see my peers at 3+

Unregistered 26-07-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53849)
Start with a few years of engineering and with the strong understanding, try to move to a sales, marketing, program or contract manager, or other position which allows you to meet customers and lead a bigger team. There is no way to start and starightaway become a manager, start low and work your way up. Gd luck!

ok, I am looking at position such as application engineer or sales engineer that can help in develop my communication and management skills. Of course I am not expecting to become manager straight, but I need to plan my part towards it. Thanks

Unregistered 26-07-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53856)
bro i also mech engine. i gave up and joined finance.

never looked back. starting pay was 5 fig alr and i see my peers at 3+

Woo, that's great. Did you join finance straight right after graduate?
How do you make your way there? Mind to share your story?

Unregistered 26-07-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53861)
Woo, that's great. Did you join finance straight right after graduate?
How do you make your way there? Mind to share your story?

yeah first job. well just study and know ur stuff in finance. its not difficult, just insanely dry if yhou dont enjoy it.

Unregistered 26-07-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53864)
yeah first job. well just study and know ur stuff in finance. its not difficult, just insanely dry if yhou dont enjoy it.

ic. Care to share about the career path? It is damn cool when you can get 5 figures salary at your 1st job as fresh grad!

Unregistered 01-09-2014 12:42 AM

I have one indian engineer colleague telling me that in his country, their top university only accept very limited slots in the engineering faculty and those who graduated from there are of better calibre than all singapore engineering graduates....