Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 20-03-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63214)
I do have scem too which acquired recently. Currently looking to take up professional courses such as water efficiency manager, fire safety manager etc to enhance my portfolio. Also considering master of science (mech eng) in the near future.
I have been involved in energy related companies for the past 5 years. Only recently switch to developer as a manager. Earning a decent pay of mid $5,000 with good benefits and bonus.

I am offered 4.5k with expected 3 mths bonus . One year contract at a statboard.
current pay is 3580but very good Office environment

Unregistered 20-03-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64359)
I am offered 4.5k with expected 3 mths bonus . One year contract at a statboard.

That's very good. So energy related job? That is quite a huge jump :)

Unregistered 24-03-2015 07:16 PM

energy efficiency assessor .
but is mostly deskbound.

Unregistered 11-05-2015 01:44 PM

Salary for Electrical engineer in Exxon

Hello,

Can anyone update the salary for Electrical engineer with 13-14 yrs experience in Exxon Mobil Singapore. Also can I get some information regarding the work culture .

Unregistered 17-03-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64359)

How have you been? It has been one year since then. How is stat board work as compared to your private experience?

Unregistered 18-03-2016 09:25 AM

heard now market for engineers good again

Unregistered 18-03-2016 07:28 PM

Don't worry.

For those retrenched ex-PMETs out there, such as ex-engineers and ex-bankers, do not be sad. Instead of worrying so much, you can just retire assuming you no longer have any dependents at age 55.

Good retirement plan in KL or Penang for a 55 years old retired couple.

Passive income
Rent out fully paid HDB flat S$2.5k pm or RM7.5k pm

KL or Penang cost of living
Rent a 2 bedroom condominium RM1.5k pm
Car expenses RM500 pm (assume buy used car in cash RM30k)
Food, groceries and utilities RM1.5k pm
Misc RM1k pm
Total spending RM4.5k pm
Savings RM3k pm

This retirement plan allows you to live in a condo and drive a car.

Your key retirement asset: HDB flat (we are very fortunate since we all get to buy cheap BTO HDB flats when we got married)

Unregistered 19-03-2016 12:28 AM

Was recently offered 6k basic, up from 4.3k that I'm getting now. With 4 years experience.
Sounds good I guess, but just concerned about the prospect; is this salary growth sustainable?
It's hard for me to imagine companies paying more than 8K or 10K for an engineering related job (although i'm doing presales so perhaps it pays better than normal engineering). I'm hoping to eventually move into management but wondering at what age that would happen..

Unregistered 19-03-2016 12:52 AM

Hi guys, check with you all on something. I am mechanical engineer trained and mainly doing project management work in a construction company. Total experience is about 7 years since graduation.

Currently drawing 8.9k and I was just given a verbal offer of 11k by a company doing mainly engineering sales for specialized construction equipment. The offer is very tempting, but I have never done sales before and worried that if it doesn't work out, it will be quite hard to go back into project management.

Anyone has similar dilemma before? Any thoughts?

Unregistered 19-03-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81621)
Was recently offered 6k basic, up from 4.3k that I'm getting now. With 4 years experience.
Sounds good I guess, but just concerned about the prospect; is this salary growth sustainable?
It's hard for me to imagine companies paying more than 8K or 10K for an engineering related job (although i'm doing presales so perhaps it pays better than normal engineering). I'm hoping to eventually move into management but wondering at what age that would happen..

That's very good progress. How about the annual.bonus payout between current and offered?
May you breakdown from 2012 to 2016 in terms of salary and bonus? Quite amazed by your progress