Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 26-08-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144535)
lol are you retarded you say in your first paragraph that "money isn't everything" then you go on to immediately invalidate that in the next paragraph by saying going inhouse nets you more money

Lulz luvvit

Unregistered 26-08-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144537)
May we know which kind of company did you join to command such a big pay increment? Banks, tech company or?

I joined a F500. Regional role. Got a similar pay increment.
I believe OP.

This was 3 yrs pre-covid tho. Times have changed - a recruiter emailed me recently for a 6.2k/mth role (i'm now pqe 7 ish).

Unregistered 26-08-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144539)
I joined a F500. Regional role. Got a similar pay increment.
I believe OP.

This was 3 yrs pre-covid tho. Times have changed - a recruiter emailed me recently for a 6.2k/mth role (i'm now pqe 7 ish).

Ouch at 6.2k... where did you join from though?

Hard to imagine an MNC spending more on lawyers than real UK/ US outfits?

Unregistered 26-08-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144542)
Ouch at 6.2k... where did you join from though?

Hard to imagine an MNC spending more on lawyers than real UK/ US outfits?

Local. Not big 4.

You'd be surprised at what they'd pay for the right skills. They needed chinese/english fluency (not the ACS kind of chinese) and were willing to pay. I had the qualifications and experience to back up my application. Also lucky that the guy they hired before me was **** (not locally trained) and pissed off a lot of people.

Unregistered 26-08-2020 05:41 PM

Any assocs feel super demoralised by the way their practice is run? Like you literally just do everything and partner kiao kar and collect money only. Totally no supervision at all.

Unregistered 26-08-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144545)
Any assocs feel super demoralised by the way their practice is run? Like you literally just do everything and partner kiao kar and collect money only. Totally no supervision at all.

Go out and start your own business if that is how you feel. There is precedence of 3 pqes doing so.

Otherwise negotiate for a cut of your files.

If not, find another firm.

Unregistered 26-08-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144521)
Hi OP, thanks for this. Grateful if you could share what your pay is like before and after the move.

Hi, I agree with the post below that salary was not my main motivation for my recent career move. However, I did try to manage expectations with prospective employers and let them know that I would prefer not to take a paycut.

To answer your query - I was getting 2/3 PQE big firm pay and drawing the same amount now. I would consider myself lucky especially in the current job market.

Unregistered 26-08-2020 08:30 PM

What’s it like training at acies law/Joo toon/Bayfront law? Firm culture? Any advise would help, as am making a decision.

Unregistered 26-08-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144545)

Which firm sia

Unregistered 26-08-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144546)
Go out and start your own business if that is how you feel. There is precedence of 3 pqes doing so.

Otherwise negotiate for a cut of your files.

If not, find another firm.

Aiya say also you all won't know, by this place standards is basically a Chinatown firm.

Thanks for advice. Legal practice is seriously damn isolating. Being treated like a sims character just makes it worse.