Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 12-12-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236968)
To continue, the big5 have started lengthening the partnership timeline from 7 to 9 years, adding a counsel tier in between. It is also common to now see 10pqe Senior Associates. These are some of the creative ways the big firms have introduced to maintain PEP.

Stop making big 5 a thing, sneaky D&N.

It's always ever been A&G WongP R&T and rodyk

Unregistered 12-12-2022 06:31 PM

any young lawyers feeling really lost

1 pqe here working in a rather niche area, generally find work manageable and career progression seems relatively clear-cut: 1 -3 years jump to big 4 / int'l firm, 5-7 years decide to go in-house or not.

but work despite being manageable is completely draining- at this point it feels like i'm having a complete split in psyche every time i walk into the office and by the time im get home i just feel completely hollow.

i've grown apart from all my friends and all interest in hobbies has faded. on the other hand there's a voice in my head on repeat pointing out how lazy i'm being, how good i have it compared to peers and therefore have no right to feel this overwhelmed and miserable.

...it just hasn't been a great year

Unregistered 12-12-2022 08:18 PM

walao why all the part b papers so tough

Unregistered 12-12-2022 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236981)

a lot of people left early after insolv though.

Unregistered 12-12-2022 10:34 PM

Question: any firms still make trainees work for free (or below $1k) / offer probation after training?

Unregistered 12-12-2022 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236981)

LOL hang on brother 3 more days...

Unregistered 13-12-2022 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236988)
Question: any firms still make trainees work for free (or below $1k) / offer probation after training?

Please don’t accept these unpaid / severely underpaid TCs. End the cycle and have some self respect for yourself.

Unregistered 13-12-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232304)
The raison d'etre of SUSS was to fill the shortage of crim and family lawyers. That's exactly where they should be. That was the founding mandate and charter of the 3rd law school and how it was sold to all stakeholders in the legal industry (during the height of the glut, I might add).

Any complaints now that SUSS grads aren't getting the plum corporate or comm liti jobs constitute an implicit repudiation of that charter and betrayal of that trust.

For family law, the most mid tier you would go is Harry Elias.

For crim, I don't think we exactly have a shortage of people wanting to go into the white-collar defense teams and investigations. We need more blue collar defense counsels and CLAS and LASCO counsels. That's done mostly by small firms and "Chinatown" firms. Perhaps we will see some SUSS grads employed by the new Public Defender's Office.

But bro, the suss law degree not cheap. Nearly 160k. Passion is passion, but why should one slave away for "passion"??? How can one pay for this law degree on top of pursuing normal things like getting married z buying a house, and having children?

I do have some desire to do criminal law. But the cost of the degree turns me off. It is too expensive. I cannot afford it without metaphorically killing myself. I believe one must take care of themselves before they can take care of others.

Unregistered 13-12-2022 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237008)
But bro, the suss law degree not cheap. Nearly 160k. Passion is passion, but why should one slave away for "passion"??? How can one pay for this law degree on top of pursuing normal things like getting married z buying a house, and having children?

I do have some desire to do criminal law. But the cost of the degree turns me off. It is too expensive. I cannot afford it without metaphorically killing myself. I believe one must take care of themselves before they can take care of others.

I assume 160k is the SUSS JD without tuition grant or any sort of bursaries? There is quite a wide range of bursaries and study awards on offer for SUSS.

Genuine question, what's the point of going for SUSS when the SMU or NUS JDs seem much cheaper (around $75-80k presumably unsubsidized). And SUSS' reputation doesn't come within a mile of the other 2 schools.

Unregistered 13-12-2022 06:36 PM

Yes, yes “big 5”. That’s a thing. (Roll eyes)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236968)
To continue, the big5 have started lengthening the partnership timeline from 7 to 9 years, adding a counsel tier in between. It is also common to now see 10pqe Senior Associates. These are some of the creative ways the big firms have introduced to maintain PEP.