Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 20-10-2020 10:59 PM

This is not a salary related post but I am very jaded after working for a long time and have yet to find myself a girlfriend. I can’t date anyone from my office and I don’t have time to meet anyone new. Women however seem to find potential partners easily, it’s a matter of choice for them. Any general advice on how I can meet someone suitable (be it in the office or outside of work)?

Any advice would be much appreciated, no trolls please.

Unregistered 20-10-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147681)
This is not a salary related post but I am very jaded after working for a long time and have yet to find myself a girlfriend. I can’t date anyone from my office and I don’t have time to meet anyone new. Women however seem to find potential partners easily, it’s a matter of choice for them. Any general advice on how I can meet someone suitable (be it in the office or outside of work)?

Any advice would be much appreciated, no trolls please.

If you’re in a multinational, go attend townhall meetings and happy hours.

Else, me an my fellow TCs find registering for a couple of F45 classes really do help break the ice with new female connections.

Unregistered 20-10-2020 11:24 PM

Anyone successfully landed an in-house role without the requisite experience in the specific areas listed on the job ad? E.g. trademarks, corporate secretarial, or building and construction laws...etc.

If so, how did you survive the selection process? Crash course before the interview? Convince the interviewer of your abilities to pick up fast?

Unregistered 20-10-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147680)
Probably all

Thanks for the honest opinion. Cheers

Unregistered 21-10-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147680)
Probably all

It depends on the quality of the 20% gen lit work you end up doing. If that 20% includes civ trial at the HC Level or a CA hearing, you could easily nego for a lesser PQE cut.

A lot depends on what kind of cases you pick up.

Unregistered 21-10-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147683)
Anyone successfully landed an in-house role without the requisite experience in the specific areas listed on the job ad? E.g. trademarks, corporate secretarial, or building and construction laws...etc.

If so, how did you survive the selection process? Crash course before the interview? Convince the interviewer of your abilities to pick up fast?

I was in-house for a few years while completing my masters. Here's my two cents.

Most companies advertising for junior positions don't expect miracles. So long as you meet about 50-70% of the job description, you'll probably get at least a call back. When i first went in-house I had 0 corp/comm experience, but majority of my disputes experience was in the energy/engineering/construction sector. My boss felt that my knowledge of the industry outweighed the fact that I had no corp/comm experience and everything else could be learned on the job. I stayed there for almost 2 years and while the learning curve was steep, it was a rewarding experience.

The problem is when companies are hiring for sole legal counsels or are looking to set up local offices or are looking for someone to head a team. These positions will not generally hire peeps without the experience mentioned in the job description.

Unregistered 21-10-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147669)
Prospective trainee here. If I choose to train in family law (due to passion, interest etc) and realise that it’s not my cup of tea, what are the exit options? Assuming that I’ll be exposed to contested divorce cases.

People don't want to do fam/crim for a reason - which is that it's hard to jump and generally pays less. High net worth divorces won't come to you - and the type of criminals you typically defend generally aren't rich.

Depending on your grades and work experience (at least 2.1), you can try to lateral into AGC crim department, or Minlaw (family) type roles.

Otherwise, you will end up stuck in gen lit. It's not going to be so easy to move around as a gen lit (from what I assume is a small fam law firm). If you're serious, just reach out to any fam law practitioners, I find they are typically nice enough to respond.

Unregistered 21-10-2020 09:52 PM

NQ corp trainee who didnt get retained. Managed to secure an in house role but am wondering if that's a career suicide? am keen to move back into practice but having a hard time looking for corp NQ openings now and am afraid gen liti roles isnt that transferrable to corp either.

Unregistered 21-10-2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147759)
NQ corp trainee who didnt get retained. Managed to secure an in house role but am wondering if that's a career suicide? am keen to move back into practice but having a hard time looking for corp NQ openings now and am afraid gen liti roles isnt that transferrable to corp either.

fk litigation. source: liti lolyer. thank you that is all.

Unregistered 21-10-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147763)
fk litigation. source: liti lolyer. thank you that is all.

What about litigation in a specific area (ie constructions or restructuring) in an international firm (ie baker, Clyde)? What are the exit options and if one goes into this route are they stuck in the same position as those in general liti?

Appreciate some valuable insights regarding this. Many thanks.