Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 18-07-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225689)
2PQE at midsized here. What r my chances of moving to international firm (perhaps even practise overseas) if i were to become dual qualified (e&w or ny)? Tks

mid like SLB or lower? market is hot think you can lateral even without qualifying overseas for int firms locally, if not try Big 4 then jump

Unregistered 19-07-2022 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225775)
mid like SLB or lower? market is hot think you can lateral even without qualifying overseas for int firms locally, if not try Big 4 then jump

Lol u are clearly out of the loop. Don't just read the daily crap on linkedin from recruiters. General firm outlook is a recession is imminent - hiring has slowed down tremendously.

Unregistered 19-07-2022 01:39 AM

don’t believe recession talk at all
just another excuse for your partners to hold your bonus and pay

if recession is coming why are people still buying cars and houses like hotcakes ?

Unregistered 19-07-2022 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225689)
2PQE at midsized here. What r my chances of moving to international firm (perhaps even practise overseas) if i were to become dual qualified (e&w or ny)? Tks

Most important factors on your CV are your practice area, firm/team 'prestige' (which correlates with the calibre/complexity of deals), your own deal experience, and to some extent, your law school and academics.

Getting the qualification can bolster your CV, but alone is not very useful for international firms in SG and elsewhere (speaking as someone who is working overseas but qualified only in SG). The exception might be the NY bar if you intend to do US capital markets work, but this requires you to have a pretty impressive CV anyway.

It's probably easier to simply move to a good corporate/finance B4 team, and then switch after 2+ years, than to go through the effort of E&W/NY qualifications (which can be done concurrently in any case).

Unregistered 19-07-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225797)
don’t believe recession talk at all
just another excuse for your partners to hold your bonus and pay

if recession is coming why are people still buying cars and houses like hotcakes ?

This recession will likely be caused by a general supply chain issue.
Plus inflation.
Best not to overleverage otherwise end up in a lot of trouble

Unregistered 19-07-2022 01:12 PM

SLB newly promoted JPs

Serious discussion, how much do SLB newly promoted junior partners make base and bonus? I

Unregistered 19-07-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225828)
Serious discussion, how much do SLB newly promoted junior partners make base and bonus? I

10k base bonus depends on billables

Unregistered 19-07-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225802)
Most important factors on your CV are your practice area, firm/team 'prestige' (which correlates with the calibre/complexity of deals), your own deal experience, and to some extent, your law school and academics.

Getting the qualification can bolster your CV, but alone is not very useful for international firms in SG and elsewhere (speaking as someone who is working overseas but qualified only in SG). The exception might be the NY bar if you intend to do US capital markets work, but this requires you to have a pretty impressive CV anyway.

It's probably easier to simply move to a good corporate/finance B4 team, and then switch after 2+ years, than to go through the effort of E&W/NY qualifications (which can be done concurrently in any case).

How’s the hiring market where you are? Is there a pending hiring freeze?

Unregistered 19-07-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225831)

That’s tragic. Machiam Baker NQ.

Unregistered 19-07-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225850)

The slb partners dont work as hard as baker NQs so its alright.

Unregistered 19-07-2022 05:36 PM

AGC interview & salary

Anyone applied to AGC? What is the process like? Salary good?

Unregistered 19-07-2022 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225831)

LOL ******** la.. where got SLB partners make so low. NQ at SLB already making 7k (this one I ownself see one not hearsay).

Unregistered 19-07-2022 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225850)

Baker NQ where got so high?

10k monthly is more like the silver circles - Hogan Lovell and HSF.

Unregistered 19-07-2022 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225898)
Baker NQ where got so high?

10k monthly is more like the silver circles - Hogan Lovell and HSF.

Bakers recent pay hike was quite something. NQ is now almost 10k.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 12:01 AM

Can confirm Baker NQ is 10k. I just completed TC and going there aft mass call. But r all my days gonna end at 2am?

Unregistered 20-07-2022 01:46 AM

How do you deal with burnout?
Did any of you already start to experience burnout by the end of your first year in practice? (More like 5-6 months in to be honest)

I don’t know how to see long term results when each day is a struggle to stay on task. Every week I say “I’ve just got to get through this week” and then someone piles 50 more things on my desk and the cycle repeats.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225908)
Can confirm Baker NQ is 10k. I just completed TC and going there aft mass call. But r all my days gonna end at 2am?

Depends on which practice group. Disputes under Indian George Clooney seems good, and tax also.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225908)

Be prepared to pay with your life

Unregistered 20-07-2022 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225869)

feel like moving to public sector too ): very shag in big4 now, losing sleep and hair

Unregistered 20-07-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225917)
Depends on which practice group. Disputes under Indian George Clooney seems good, and tax also.

you mean Nandakumar Ponniya? he tutored at SMU before, what a handsome man

Unregistered 20-07-2022 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225847)
How’s the hiring market where you are? Is there a pending hiring freeze?

Hard to say for sure, seeing as I've not been actively looking having moved not long ago. However, I think it's fair to say that recruitment activity is significantly lower than 2021, which means the demand for international laterals is the first to die.

Some recruiters are optimistic that business and recruitment activity will pick up from Sep onward (after summer); really depends on how the global markets weather this storm of war / pandemic / instability / inflation...

Unregistered 20-07-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225869)

AGC ppl are leaving in droves so it is a good time to apply

Unregistered 20-07-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225965)

If u go to AGC you will always be subordinate to the scholars and JLCs, even if you are brighter, more productive and win more cases. They will be promoted to dept heads while you continue to get shitty work and grind the rest of your life away.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 08:28 PM

Any lawyers single ready to mingle? I am looking for a female to date and dine out with.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 09:04 PM

s://.todayonline.com/singapore/court-orders-healing-divide-pay-lawyers-1948636

Errrr. what's with the $1 dollar discount in legal fees? Even my mamak stall and supermarket give more discount.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225975)
Any lawyers single ready to mingle? I am looking for a female to date and dine out with.

Can. after that, can role play Judge vs accused too.

Unregistered 20-07-2022 11:26 PM

what are my exit options for liti? should i jump to corp now

Unregistered 21-07-2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225965)

Where do they leave to? Got good exit options meh . Criminal law firms?

Unregistered 21-07-2022 12:14 AM

how much do JLCs make?

Unregistered 21-07-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225952)
you mean Nandakumar Ponniya? he tutored at SMU before, what a handsome man

Hearsay the Baker disputes team got a few good looking people

Unregistered 21-07-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225966)
If u go to AGC you will always be subordinate to the scholars and JLCs, even if you are brighter, more productive and win more cases. They will be promoted to dept heads while you continue to get shitty work and grind the rest of your life away.

Not true. My experience with AGC is that it is truly merits-based. You can be a scholar or JLC but be sh*t at your work, and no way you will get promoted. You can come from private practice and do good work and be promoted to extremely high positions.

Unregistered 21-07-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226015)
Not true. My experience with AGC is that it is truly merits-based. You can be a scholar or JLC but be sh*t at your work, and no way you will get promoted. You can come from private practice and do good work and be promoted to extremely high positions.

This is the exception rather than the rule

Unregistered 21-07-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225975)

Why in the world would you want to date female lawyers?? Date those ladies who work in teaching, healthcare or social work, and spare yourself the grief.

Unregistered 21-07-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226020)
Why in the world would you want to date female lawyers?? Date those ladies who work in teaching, healthcare or social work, and spare yourself the grief.

Agreed. Speaking from personal experience.
Unless you are from some rich family
Non law girls when they breakup, they are still quite kind. Same cannot be said for law

Unregistered 21-07-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226012)
Hearsay the Baker disputes team got a few good looking people

name and shame pls

Unregistered 21-07-2022 11:06 PM

Fla

Which are the better FLAs for corp?

Unregistered 21-07-2022 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226015)

U are absolutely wrong. Agc same as civil service , no? Functions by CEP.

So if JLC or PSC, shiok

Unregistered 21-07-2022 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226069)

progleis Herbert smith freehills

Unregistered 22-07-2022 08:02 AM

Quote:

Baker mckenzie. Andrew Martin is great to work with Hahaha

Unregistered 22-07-2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Hogan Lovells Lee & Lee. Heard they pay Silver Circle rates