Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 12-05-2022 06:35 PM

For those who moved in-house, any regrets?

Unregistered 12-05-2022 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217645)
For those who moved in-house, any regrets?

Nope. Didn't feel like a lawyer at first doing deep-dive legal work, but you adapt to it pretty quickly.

Then you realize that there's a whole world outside the ivory tower of legal practice where you understand how companies actually work.

I hear my ex colleagues still in practice burning day and night, while I almost always knock off on the dot barring a few exceptional days. The pay is decent considering the hours worked. I don't think I can go back to practice.

One caveat though - I was from a mid tier firm so it represents an overall better outcome. YMMV. If you're in a top tier law firm, it might not make financial sense to move inhouse especially to take a paycut.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 12:12 AM

How are Mr Tay and Ms Kuek like as persons?

How are they like actually as persons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217548)
Seeing what happened to the initial 6 who were publicly named, the writing is on the wall (i.e. that he and the other remaining 4 would be publicly named too). He probably saw that and knows he'll be unemployable for the foreseeable future.

As reported, both he and Lynn Kuek took the same approach of trying to downplay their conduct, unlike the other 5 who fessed up the moment they came under SILE investigation. So in the public's eyes, his conduct is even more egregious.

The withdrawal is probably an attempt to portray remorse. Sorta like an act of hara kiri, falling on his sword to rehabilitate his public image. In truth, he likely has little inclination or motivation to continue pursing admission or gainful employment in the legal sector anyways.

My 2cents of the possible strategy here.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217660)
Nope. Didn't feel like a lawyer at first doing deep-dive legal work, but you adapt to it pretty quickly.

Then you realize that there's a whole world outside the ivory tower of legal practice where you understand how companies actually work.

I hear my ex colleagues still in practice burning day and night, while I almost always knock off on the dot barring a few exceptional days. The pay is decent considering the hours worked. I don't think I can go back to practice.

One caveat though - I was from a mid tier firm so it represents an overall better outcome. YMMV. If you're in a top tier law firm, it might not make financial sense to move inhouse especially to take a paycut.

I came from a magic circle firm and went in-house, not for the better hours, but to "understand how companies actually work" as the person who posted above mentions. It's eye-opening. I did not take a paycut, and am still slightly above MC peers, and just about at white-shoe pay (but not Cravath with full bonus). Hours are not significantly better, but a lot more control of my time.

So going in-house doesn't always mean you earn less for the near-term (3 to 5 years). For the long-term, probably less, since partnership in those firms pays better.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217694)
I came from a magic circle firm and went in-house, not for the better hours, but to "understand how companies actually work" as the person who posted above mentions. It's eye-opening. I did not take a paycut, and am still slightly above MC peers, and just about at white-shoe pay (but not Cravath with full bonus). Hours are not significantly better, but a lot more control of my time.

So going in-house doesn't always mean you earn less for the near-term (3 to 5 years). For the long-term, probably less, since partnership in those firms pays better.

Ka ki kong ka ki song

Unregistered 13-05-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217403)
How is our learned friend as opposing counsel? Any experiences?

Charles keep posting IG about Suet Fern , Shengwu

Bullcrap of a politician really , not smart at all, you want both MIW & Oppo to be dominated by the LKY descendants? Ownself oppose ownself

Unregistered 13-05-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217719)
Charles keep posting IG about Suet Fern , Shengwu

Bullcrap of a politician really , not smart at all, you want both MIW & Oppo to be dominated by the LKY descendants? Ownself oppose ownself

Political hedging is a risk management strategy employed to offset losses in votes by taking an opposite position against the incumbent to ensure your clan's political survival.
The reduction in risk provided by political hedging also typically results in a reduction in potential votes for the incumbent, and requires cultivation of past enemies of your political family as your proxies.

The best way to understand political hedging is to think of it as a form of insurance for the survival of your clan in politics. When a political family and their politically related relatives decide to hedge, they are insuring themselves against a negative outcome's impact on their family's political prominence.

Unregistered 13-05-2022 05:32 PM

Quite a number of old partners have been exiting the industry lately. Is there a shortage of lawyers plaguing the profession?

Unregistered 13-05-2022 06:33 PM

this reads like a journalist's prompt to test industry sentiments, in preparation for a potential article

Unregistered 13-05-2022 08:35 PM

How much do fam lawyers make? Estimate the amount for 1PQE - 4PQE

Unregistered 13-05-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217724)
requires cultivation of past enemies of your political family as your proxies.

LHY LSF side:

Lee Suet Fern visits Chee Soon Juan at Orange & Teal
Lee Suet Fern Has Lunch With Human Rights Warrior M Ravi, Gifted Him With Handmade Masks (whom later saw through the political hedging trick: Mr Ravi went on by labelling Suet Fern as a "fake acquaintance" with "fake smiles" :D . )
Mr Lee Hsien Yang said that he gave a “meaningful sum” to blogger Leong Sze Hian, who is facing a defamation suit filed by the Prime Minister.

LHL side:

Ong Ye Kung, minister - Ong's father, Ong Lian Teng, was a Barisan Sosialis politician,resigned to protest the "undemocratic acts" of the PAP government
Janil Puthucheary, minister - Puthucheary's father is Dominic Puthucheary, a trade unionist and founding member of the People's Action Party (MP) who later left the party to join Barisan Sosialis. Dominic Puthucheary was detained in February 1963 during Operation Coldstore but was released ten months later and barred from entering Singapore until 1990

Unregistered 14-05-2022 12:36 PM

Would you like your legacy to be tarnished by a charsiew? (Najib)

Rmb that power is dangerous. It empowers, but it also destroys. If a charsiew grandson gets on the wrong side of power, then the whole clan becomes collateral damage.

Rising from graves is scientifically impossible.

Political hedging is a way to neutralise threats from foes whose backs you had to step over to get to where you were.

Xi JP, "People who have little contact with power, who are far from it, always see these things as mysterious and novel. But what I see is not just the superficial things: the power, the flowers, the glory, the applause. I see the bullpens and how people can blow hot and cold. I understand politics on a deeper level."

Unregistered 14-05-2022 05:01 PM

How can i help my former trainee

I have left a toxic small firm as a junior PQE Assoc to much greener pastures.

However, I worry for a former trainee that I worked closely with.

After my departure, I have remained in touch with Trainee, who is about to complete their TC and be called soon. My former firm is small, suffers repeated IT outage, computer and telephone line breakdowns. There is no electricity on some days.

Trainee has found a much bigger better and larger firm as a LE and thereafter LA which I am so proud off and happy for trainee.

Trainee has come from a very humble background, who has worked their way into law school, and isn't affluent at all. Trainee's story inspires me.

By way of background, I suffered repeated abuse weekly from the Partners in my previous firm, until even my very last day. That firm is bleeding associates and trainees almost every couple of months.

Every Associate is out to outdo one another for the sake of pleasing the Partners, imparting nothing but unhealthy competition. Ratting is the norm. Trainees are bullied by even by the most junior associate. I did not follow such practices.

One of the partners took issue about Trainee's departure and harassed the trainee over their departure, berating what trainee did. Accusing trainee for withholding information.

Partner is unfortunately the supervising solicitor. What can the trainee do if the partner doesn't want to sign the checklist? Partner is vindictive and I fear that they may block the call.

Partner is absolutely messy in their work and invites discussion before scolding you for nothing. I suffered repeated personal attacks while I was with that firm, causing me to doubt my ability. Thankfully, not anymore.

I worry for trainee. Trainee and I worked very well together. Trainee did great work, even better than mine, but I have nothing but respect for. However, the trainee regularly got sabotaged by the other associates, who kept pulling their rank, and passing off trainee's work as their own, giving no credit.

Should my Trainee try and jump TC right now? Can Trainee's new firm, which imh, is a x10000 level up from the current mess, buy out the rest of a TC?

Seniors any thoughts?

Unregistered 14-05-2022 05:02 PM

New york bar

Is it worth doing? I recently passed QLTS as well.

Singapore qualified.

Unregistered 14-05-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217788)
Would you like your legacy to be tarnished by a charsiew? (Najib)

s://dinmerican.wordpress.com/2015/02/25/rift-between-prime-minister-najib-and-brothers/
s://.dailyexpress.com.my/news/187355/dr-m-najib-s-brother-came-to-see-me-about-1mdb/

In his second letter, Mahathir said he felt embarrassed for having to repeatedly mention Najib, calling him a “disgrace to his country, race and religion”.
“Unfortunately, he doesn’t have any feeling of shame and even claims to be victimised by others.

“He hopes the Malaysian public will believe that he has been victimised by me and his political enemies,” he said.
He said Najib was “nothing like his father”, Abdul Razak Hussein, the nation’s second prime minister.
“Tun Razak was a principled nationalist who fought for the people, whereas Najib stole the nation’s wealth with the help of Jho Low,” Mahathir said.

Quote:

Rmb that power is dangerous. It empowers, but it also destroys. If a charsiew grandson gets on the wrong side of power, then the whole clan becomes collateral damage.

In their statement issued late yesterday, Najib’s brothers wrote: “We wish to put on record that Tun Abdul Razak was a highly principled man, well-known to all who knew him for his frugality and utmost integrity and any statement or inference to the contrary would be totally false and misleading to his memory and to his service and sacrifices for the nation.

“We take issue with anyone who taints his memory, whatever the motive. We would also like to add that our whole family is united on this issue.”

The statement, signed by all four Najib’s brothers – Johari, Nizam, Nazim and Nazir – came hot on the heels of Rosmah drawing flak with her revelation that it cost RM1,200 to dye her hair.

Quote:

Xi JP, "People who have little contact with power, who are far from it, always see these things as mysterious and novel. But what I see is not just the superficial things: the power, the flowers, the glory, the applause. I see the bullpens and how people can blow hot and cold. I understand politics on a deeper level."

Born in Beijing in 1953, Xi Jinping is the son of revolutionary veteran Xi Zhongxun, one of the Communist Party's founding fathers and a vice-premier.

Because of his illustrious roots, Mr Xi is seen as a "princeling" - a child of elite senior officials who has risen up the ranks.
But his family's fortunes took a dramatic turn when his father was purged in 1962 prior to the Cultural Revolution and imprisoned.

His father, a senior Communist Party official who had been purged a few years earlier, was seized and repeatedly beaten. Student militants ransacked his family’s home, forcing the family to flee, and one of his sisters died in the mayhem. Paraded before a crowd as an enemy of the revolution and denounced by his own mother, the future president of China was on the edge of being thrown into a prison for delinquent children of the party elite.

At the age of 15, the younger Xi was sent to the countryside for "re-education" and hard labour in the remote and poor village of Liangjiahe for seven years.

Unregistered 14-05-2022 08:30 PM

There is a serious oversupply issue. Law society is not doing its job. Barring 11 law grads from qualifying aint gonna fix it. Try harder King.

Unregistered 14-05-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217827)
There is a serious oversupply issue. Law society is not doing its job. Barring 11 law grads from qualifying aint gonna fix it. Try harder King.

It's only an oversupply if you came from a second rate overseas uni kek.

4PQE here and I'm securing quite a few interviews which are translating into offers over a short period of time. Have had to turn down incessant number of recruiters for those other roles that aren't interesting to me.

Unregistered 15-05-2022 12:58 AM

Pribumi Mobs burn houses of political targets, cronies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149809)
I am grateful that 38 Oxley will not be demolished, because I feel it is a part of our national heritage. But LKY of all people should have known that the demolition clause cannot override the State: he pushed through reforms in land law that gave the State ultimate power over property here. Many property owners have been displaced over the years, sometimes with inadequate compensation, to make way for development. But would we have had such progress if proprietary rights were recognised? The URA would've spent years litigating against stubborn landowners, or a fortune to buy them out. If PM Lee or the government of the day were so minded, an act of Parliament could have been passed to preserve 38 Oxley, notwithstanding what the Will said.

SL of LVM

‘Most-hated Indonesian businessman’ dies in Singapore

Once the country’s richest man and the symbol of Chinese wealth in Indonesia, Liem was highly resented in Indonesia over his high profile ties with former dictator Suharto. He left behind 5 children.

Liem’s Chinese ethnicity and his dominance in Indonesia's business world however, sparked resentment among Indonesia’s native pribumis. He became the poster boy for the May 1998 anti-Chinese riots in Jakarta, and fled to Singapore after his house was raided, ransacked and burnt by mobs.

Fall of Suharto

On 9 May 1998, a police officer, Dadang Rusmana, was reported to have been killed at a demonstration at Djuanda University. These demonstrators were protesting against massive price rises for fuel and energy, and were demanding that President Suharto step down.

Racial Riots
In May 1998, during two deadly days of racially fueled mayhem, rioters killed 1,000 people and raped 87 women, most of Chinese descent.

Unregistered 15-05-2022 01:12 AM

Dying with Dignity: The Chongzhen Emperor

Rather than facing capture and surrendering to the incoming rebels, the Chongzhen Emperor gathered all members of the imperial household except his sons. Using his sword, he killed Consort Yuan and Princess Zhaoren, and severed the arm of Princess Changping. The emperor committed suicide.

"May the rebels dismember my corpse and slaughter my officials, but let them not despoil the imperial tombs nor harm a single one of our people."

Unregistered 15-05-2022 11:31 AM

Government property at the mercy of protestors. Expect the unexpected

Parliament building and police station burned down during protests in Solomon Islands
s://.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/24/parliament-building-and-police-station-burned-down-during-protests-in-solomon-islands

Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse protesters demanding the prime minister step down, amid reports of looting

Police in Solomon Islands have used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse hundreds of protesters, who allegedly burned down a building in the parliament precinct, a police station and a store in the nation’s capital of Honiara, amid reports of looting.

The protesters marched on the parliamentary precinct in the east of Honiara, where they allegedly set fire to a leaf hut next to Parliament House where MPs and staffers go to smoke and eat lunch.

“It was quite traumatising for us,” a staff member working at the national parliament said. He said luckily for them the police were able to control the situation, enabling them to leave.

A police station and another building, owned by a Chinese national, were also burned down during the protests.

“We did not expect the crowd to come here,” said a female police officer on duty at the station.

“We were all in our offices when we heard the crowd. We came out to look but they began raining our building with stones. So I shouted to my colleague for us to hide in a room in the station. We were in the room when we started to choke by the smoke of fire. It was then that we realised that they torched the building.”

Advertisement

The protesters were demanding the prime minister, Manasseh Sogavare step down. Many of the protesters come from Malaita province, the most populous province in the country whose provincial government has had tense relations with the central government for years.

The tensions between the provincial and national government intensified in 2019 when Sogavare announced that Solomon Islands would switch its diplomatic allegiance from Taiwan to China, to the chagrin of Malaita premier Daniel Suidani.

Unregistered 15-05-2022 11:38 AM

Protesters burn government building during riot in Portland

Protesters in Portland marched to a government building Tuesday night, smashing windows and setting an office ablaze in what authorities called a riot.

The demonstrators descended on the Multnomah Building, which houses county government operations, and hurled rocks through the front glass doors while setting fires outside the building, officials said.

Once a hole was punctured in the windows, protesters appeared to toss flaming materials inside the building — setting the office ablaze.

“@PortlandPolice has declared the gathering near the Multnomah Building a riot after individuals vandalized, repeatedly smashed first floor windows with rocks and threw burning material into an office,” read a tweet from the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

After declaring the assembly unlawful, Portland cops asked all gathered to disperse. The protesters appeared to be calling for the abolition of police and prisons.

Portland has seen an uptick in violence in recent weeks as protests against the police killing of George Floyd have descended several times into violence and destruction. It was the city’s 83rd straight night of unrest, according to the Oregonian.

Unregistered 16-05-2022 12:32 AM

Why Mobs Are Torching Sri Lanka Politicians’ Homes

By Sadanand Dhume
May 12, 2022 6:37 pm ET

A combination of Covid, energy price hikes and government-mandated organic farming brought a popular tourist spot to the brink of chaos.

Sri Lanka is back in the news—for all the wrong reasons. On Monday besieged Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa resigned after weeks of protests, amid a cratering economy and violent clashes between government supporters and antigovernment protesters in the capital, Colombo.

At least eight people have died in the violence, and some 200 were injured. Rampaging mobs torched more than 50 houses, including the ancestral home of the Rajapaksa clan, a family that has dominated Sri Lankan politics for nearly two decades. Rioters have set up roadblocks on the way to the airport to prevent politicians from fleeing the country.

Unregistered 17-05-2022 09:19 AM

James, who was at the time specialising in corporate law, recalled one incident that put him off. A senior lawyer had bought a watch that cost a “few hundred thousands” and was bragging about it.

He found out through his fellow associates that it was not an isolated incident either, as their bosses were similarly making large purchases for homes and cars.

“It’s not nice knowing that you’re slaving away, buying into this idea that we need to be financially prudent during COVID, and yet you have so many bosses (making extravagant purchases) because they don’t have to pay out these additional bonuses.”

Such behaviour was what led several associates to leave the firm, said James

Unregistered 17-05-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217357)
what is the most chill area of law for fresh grad enter for private sector? is it conveyancing cos mostly paperwork?

PI/PD is chill. Most cases are settled at CDR or ADCDR. But the volume and the depressing nature of the work may kill you

Unregistered 17-05-2022 01:37 PM

38 Oxley \
How Unlawful Assemblies Could Become Cradles For Birthing A Successful Opposition \
Disrespecting Rule of Law in 1950s [Internal Security Regulations], Did The Ends Justify the Means? \

In 1953, Dr Goh Keng Swee, Dr Toh Chin Chye, S. Rajaratnam, K. M. Byrne and Lee Kuan Yew began meeting on Saturday afternoons in the basement dining room of 38 Oxley Road to consider the feasibility of forming a political party...

These meetings were held secretly, as the internal security regulations then forbade such political meetings.

Dr Toh recalled that Ong Eng Guan suggested burying the minutes of the meetings in the garden.

Unregistered 17-05-2022 05:55 PM

New York Bar

Would anyone recommend taking the NY bar? Is there any reason to take it? any idea whats it like?

Unregistered 17-05-2022 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218071)
Would anyone recommend taking the NY bar? Is there any reason to take it? any idea whats it like?

You do it because (1) you work in a practice which involves US laws, and (2) you work (or want to work) in a firm which will pay you Cravath for your work.

Unregistered 17-05-2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7075)
Bump! Interested in finding out too. What about prospects of a law/medicine double degree (if possible)?

unless you are super smart (dont know you), how do you think you can manage studying these two together, let alone studying them well.

Unregistered 17-05-2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218037)
James, who was at the time specialising in corporate law, recalled one incident that put him off. A senior lawyer had bought a watch that cost a “few hundred thousands” and was bragging about it.

He found out through his fellow associates that it was not an isolated incident either, as their bosses were similarly making large purchases for homes and cars.

“It’s not nice knowing that you’re slaving away, buying into this idea that we need to be financially prudent during COVID, and yet you have so many bosses (making extravagant purchases) because they don’t have to pay out these additional bonuses.”

Such behaviour was what led several associates to leave the firm, said James

Any gossip which firm was this?

Unregistered 17-05-2022 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218101)
Any gossip which firm was this?

actually sounds like cool story bro moment leh.

A firm with bunch of braggy partners and associates leaving because of this reason? Sounds embellished for the article.

Associates leave all the time but "several associates" leaving because of a few boastful partners? Lame.

Not like this industry isn't full of egoistical braggarts from top to bottom anyway

Unregistered 18-05-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218112)
actually sounds like cool story bro moment leh.

A firm with bunch of braggy partners and associates leaving because of this reason? Sounds embellished for the article.

Associates leave all the time but "several associates" leaving because of a few boastful partners? Lame.

Not like this industry isn't full of egoistical braggarts from top to bottom anyway

Probably actually happened and was the straw that broke the camel's back - the newspapers would naturally pick the most interesting anecdotes to publish

Unregistered 18-05-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217558)
about the five year thing, not clear based on public reporting that he applied to withdraw on that basis. more likely it was imposed by CJ as a compromise between dismissal asked for by AG and unconditional withdrawal. ("... allowed to withdraw his application to be called to the Bar after he agreed to two conditions set by the court.")\

(interesting legal question - any difference between withdrawal and dismissal of AAS? is there such a thing as res judicata for AAS?)

before we speculate that he is trying a strategy, where he seeks anonymity as some sort of exchange for withdrawal (as opposed to the adjournments for the six), we should probably look at the timelines.

[2022] SGHC 87 was heard on 13 april and decided on 18 april.

ST reports that he applied to withdraw his application on 22 april and sealing and redaction was only sought later. ie, not at time of his application. this is somewhat against the theory that he applied to withdraw to avoid further publicity.

it should also be noted that the AG's application to rescind the sealing order was heard and allowed in [2022] SGHC 93 on 27 april. therefore, at the time of his application, for all he knows, he can expect similar treatment to the six - adjournment and anonymity.

Realise I am a bit late, but I think there is a difference between a dismissal and withdrawal - I think some jurisdictions do ask if you have ever been refused / denied admission in any other jurisdiction. If he successfully withdrew his application in SG, he might think he could potentially say that he has never been refused / denied.

Like resigning before an employer can officially terminate you.

This is also possibly one of the reasons why the judge imposed a 5 year ban on applying for admission elsewhere.

Unregistered 18-05-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 217811)
I have left a toxic small firm as a junior PQE Assoc to much greener pastures.

However, I worry for a former trainee that I worked closely with.

After my departure, I have remained in touch with Trainee, who is about to complete their TC and be called soon. My former firm is small, suffers repeated IT outage, computer and telephone line breakdowns. There is no electricity on some days.

Trainee has found a much bigger better and larger firm as a LE and thereafter LA which I am so proud off and happy for trainee.

Trainee has come from a very humble background, who has worked their way into law school, and isn't affluent at all. Trainee's story inspires me.

By way of background, I suffered repeated abuse weekly from the Partners in my previous firm, until even my very last day. That firm is bleeding associates and trainees almost every couple of months.

Every Associate is out to outdo one another for the sake of pleasing the Partners, imparting nothing but unhealthy competition. Ratting is the norm. Trainees are bullied by even by the most junior associate. I did not follow such practices.

One of the partners took issue about Trainee's departure and harassed the trainee over their departure, berating what trainee did. Accusing trainee for withholding information.

Partner is unfortunately the supervising solicitor. What can the trainee do if the partner doesn't want to sign the checklist? Partner is vindictive and I fear that they may block the call.

Partner is absolutely messy in their work and invites discussion before scolding you for nothing. I suffered repeated personal attacks while I was with that firm, causing me to doubt my ability. Thankfully, not anymore.

I worry for trainee. Trainee and I worked very well together. Trainee did great work, even better than mine, but I have nothing but respect for. However, the trainee regularly got sabotaged by the other associates, who kept pulling their rank, and passing off trainee's work as their own, giving no credit.

Should my Trainee try and jump TC right now? Can Trainee's new firm, which imh, is a x10000 level up from the current mess, buy out the rest of a TC?

Seniors any thoughts?

Sorry your friend has to deal with these toxic people / situations.

Is the issue just what to do if the partner does not sign off? I really think they should cross that bridge when they come to it. In my experience, partners may talk a big game but at the end of the day they are overwhelmingly more likely to just sign off and be done with you.

If partner doesn't, trainee could always speak to SILE / LawSoc for help - partner likely would rather play ball than drag the situation out and bring the spotlight on themself.

Unregistered 18-05-2022 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218200)
Realise I am a bit late, but I think there is a difference between a dismissal and withdrawal - I think some jurisdictions do ask if you have ever been refused / denied admission in any other jurisdiction. If he successfully withdrew his application in SG, he might think he could potentially say that he has never been refused / denied.

Like resigning before an employer can officially terminate you.

This is also possibly one of the reasons why the judge imposed a 5 year ban on applying for admission elsewhere.

That’s too harsh la. Just let him live

Unregistered 19-05-2022 06:04 PM

A former Drew & Napier lawyer will be struck off for taking upskirt and other intrusive photos of his colleague to "ease his stressful state". s://cna.asia/38Av3Ql

Unregistered 19-05-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218281)
A former Drew & Napier lawyer will be struck off for taking upskirt and other intrusive photos of his colleague to "ease his stressful state". s://cna.asia/38Av3Ql

"ease his stressful state" - maidenless

Unregistered 19-05-2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218287)
"ease his stressful state" - maidenless

Sadly this describes a large proportion of the Sinkie beta male population. Forever orbiting around average or slightly-above average Sinkie females who are placed on a pedestal way above their actual market values due to incessant conditioning of Sinkie males to be simps for women. Predictably they have to settle for satisfying their frustrations by taking upskirt photos because they can get no real action irl.

Look, word of advice for all you young men. just go to Vietnam or Thailand where there are legions of young and vastly more attractive girls with amazing assets. Stop mucking around here chasing for average insipid Sinkie females.

Unregistered 19-05-2022 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218299)
Sadly this describes a large proportion of the Sinkie beta male population. Forever orbiting around average or slightly-above average Sinkie females who are placed on a pedestal way above their actual market values due to incessant conditioning of Sinkie males to be simps for women. Predictably they have to settle for satisfying their frustrations by taking upskirt photos because they can get no real action irl.

Look, word of advice for all you young men. just go to Vietnam or Thailand where there are legions of young and vastly more attractive girls with amazing assets. Stop mucking around here chasing for average insipid Sinkie females.

Why sb can have both wife and mistress, attack our legal system, AG and head of gov on IG FB for so long, stir here and there boh tio lawsuit. Both sinkie men. Why this D&N lawyer so beta?

Unregistered 19-05-2022 09:52 PM

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/man-who-secretly-filmed-female-staff-in-primary-school-toilet-over-two-days

Man who secretly filmed female staff in primary school toilet over two days jailed 24 weeks

Amir Hussain
PUBLISHED FEB 18, 2016, 7:11 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - A 25-year-old administrative staff at a primary school secretly took eight videos of female staff using the toilet on two consecutive days.

On Thursday, Jondave Ong Han Wei was jailed for 24 weeks.

He pleaded guilty to four charges of insulting the modesty of a woman.

Another four counts of the same were taken into consideration during sentencing.

A district court heard that Ong was employed by recruitment firm People Advantage as a school programme executive, and did administrative work at Keming Primary School in Bukit Batok.

On July 1 last year, he went to a common staff toilet on the ground floor and attached his mobile phone to the sink pipe underneath the basin, using cable ties to secure the phone to the pipe.

He made sure the phone camera was pointing towards the toilet bowl, and switched on the camera's video recording function.

Between 9.46am and 10.08am, he recorded six women using the toilet.

He took three other similar videos at the same toilet later that afternoon. The longest video played for 32 minutes.

The next day, he again recorded four female staff relieving themselves at the same toilet.

At about 6.46pm, however, a staff spotted the camera and informed the police.

In all, the modesty of up to 35 women could have been insulted.

In mitigation, Ong, who did not have a lawyer, pleaded for leniency. He said his offence was out of character and told the court that he had apologised to the school staff.

For insulting the modesty of a woman, he could have been jailed for up to a year and also fined on each charge.

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/ttsh-doctor-suspended-for-4-months-for-upskirt-videos-of-2-women

TTSH doctor suspended for 4 months for taking upskirt videos of 2 women
Salma Khalik
Senior Health Correspondent
PUBLISHED JUN 1, 2021, 2:42 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - A doctor has had his licence suspended for four months for bringing disrepute to the profession. He was caught taking upskirt videos of two women in 2016.

Dr Deshan Kumar Rajeswaran was caught in the act at an NTUC FairPrice supermarket at AMK Hub in July that year.

The police and the Attorney-General's Chambers served him a 24-month conditional warning in October 2016. He satisfied the condition of refraining from similar or other criminal conduct.

The Singapore Police Force had informed the Singapore Medical Council (SMC) of the incident and of the warning issued.

In December that year, the SMC filed a letter of complaint to the chairman of its complaints panel. This panel looks at all complaints and decides if any has merit and, if so, the action that needs to follow.

In April 2017, a complaints committee was set up to investigate the matter.

The doctor, a consultant rehabilitation physician at the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, admitted to the fault in August that year.

He said that his actions were done on impulse as a result of a prolonged period of stress and anxiety at work and at home.

In his written explanation, Dr Deshan said he had sought psychiatric help, and had been attending psychological therapy sessions, as well as maintaining good physical, emotional, psychological and social support systems.

The committee issued a letter of advice to the doctor in December 2017, encouraging him to continue with his treatment.

In January 2018, the SMC wrote to the Minister for Health appealing against the committee's decision. In May 2019, the Ministry of Health (MOH) directed the SMC to appoint a disciplinary tribunal to look into the matter.

Dr Deshan was informed in March 2020. Because of the circuit breaker measures for Covid-19, the pre-inquiry conference was delayed till June.

The tribunal said the harm caused was "moderate", but culpability was low as it had not been premeditated.

It noted that the doctor had been "suffering from persistent depressive disorder" at that time, caused by stress both at work and at home.

He has been treated for this and it no longer affects him. However, the tribunal recommends that he continues with his treatment every two to three months.

As penalty, it imposed a four-month suspension, followed by conditional registration for a year during which he may only work under supervision. Other conditions include no "private consultations without a chaperone present when attending to female patients".

He was also censured and has to pay the cost of the proceedings. The decision was published on the SMC website on June 1.

Unregistered 20-05-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 218299)

go to Vietnam or Thailand?? Well-travelled sinkie men are well sought after in the global dating market including white girls.

While this D&N beta male has been hiding in his office cubicle all those years, he could have had a normal functioning relationship with a real woman.

Morale of the story is - Stop being such a legal cuck.

s://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/gpgt-ang-moh-ah-lian-married-to-sinkie-guy-has-a-soft-spot-for-home-grown-restaurant-hans-it-is-so-good.6683605/