Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Standard Chartered International Graduate Program 2015 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4553-standard-chartered-international-graduate-program-2015-a.html)

Unregistered 31-01-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200629)
Two weeks ago but still no news from HR yet

hm, i think i did not pass pymetrics. i did not get a VBA invite

Unregistered 03-02-2022 09:57 AM

Hey guys, I am from a non-finance background. Would someone be kind enough to example what exactly does CCIB does and what are the various roles within the department?

Unregistered 03-02-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201082)
Hey guys, I am from a non-finance background. Would someone be kind enough to example what exactly does CCIB does and what are the various roles within the department?

anti fraud

Unregistered 03-02-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201091)
anti fraud

don't troll lah

Unregistered 03-02-2022 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201082)

Have u read sc's annual report and website already to find out more?

Unregistered 03-02-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201109)
Have u read sc's annual report and website already to find out more?

Hi, yes I have been reading but would like to get more insights into the various roles. Like what's the difference b/w Client Management and Relationship Management? Do we get to choose where we end up? Commercial, corporate, or IB?

I would like to eventually transition into Private banking, what would be the best route, i.e, where can I get the most exposure to UHNW clients and the opportunity to build relations with them?

Unregistered 03-02-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201121)
Hi, yes I have been reading but would like to get more insights into the various roles. Like what's the difference b/w Client Management and Relationship Management? Do we get to choose where we end up? Commercial, corporate, or IB?

I would like to eventually transition into Private banking, what would be the best route, i.e, where can I get the most exposure to UHNW clients and the opportunity to build relations with them?

If you are interested in PB, have you applied for the PB divisions in the other banks? Do you know what a typical PB division entails?

Not a pro or some old bird in this industry, but UHNW clients are up to you as the relationship manager to seek out and convince them you are trustworthy enough to park their money with. That's what you are paid to do so I don't understand why are you expecting the bank to provide you with the exposure to such people instead?

Unregistered 03-02-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201124)
If you are interested in PB, have you applied for the PB divisions in the other banks? Do you know what a typical PB division entails?

Not a pro or some old bird in this industry, but UHNW clients are up to you as the relationship manager to seek out and convince them you are trustworthy enough to park their money with. That's what you are paid to do so I don't understand why are you expecting the bank to provide you with exposure to such people instead?

I agree, didn't mean the bank giving me exposure to them while I am in PB, what I meant was being part of other banking divisions such as corporate banking, you are exposed to C-suit. They can be potential clients that I can bring when I transition to PB. I am not born in a wealthy family and don't know the UHNW, the only place I can connect with them at work.

Unregistered 03-02-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201121)

if you're interested in PB, SC's PB division is wealth management. u should have applied there instead.

Unregistered 03-02-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201129)
if you're interested in PB, SC's PB division is wealth management. u should have applied there instead.

All MO/BO roles, for sure no chance of going FO If I were to start in PB.

Unregistered 03-02-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201131)
All MO/BO roles, for sure no chance of going FO If I were to start in PB.

it's not all MO/BO roles. Anyway, if you want to actually become a Private Banker at SC's PB, the best route is actually starting from the Retail Bank as a Relationship Manager and you work your way up to the Private Bank as your clients grow with you, etc. But transiting into a Private Banker after some time as a Corporate Banker is definitely a route as well bcos many UHNW have businesses and being able to give advice on their business needs and not just personal wealth, is valuable. Just that you will need some connections to pull you into the PB side.

SC's WM grad programmes is not structured the same way as other PB/WM Analyst programmes (such as UBS/CS/Citi) where you get to do Assistant RM or Investment Consulting type of rotations/roles. Closest to a IC type of role would be doing Investment Advisory but for the most part, SC WM grad programme makes you do product related work, which is not MO/BO btw, unless you doing ops in their WM division.

Unregistered 03-02-2022 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201145)
it's not all MO/BO roles. Anyway, if you want to actually become a Private Banker at SC's PB, the best route is actually starting from the Retail Bank as a Relationship Manager and you work your way up to the Private Bank as your clients grow with you, etc. But transiting into a Private Banker after some time as a Corporate Banker is definitely a route as well bcos many UHNW have businesses and being able to give advice on their business needs and not just personal wealth, is valuable. Just that you will need some connections to pull you into the PB side.

SC's WM grad programmes is not structured the same way as other PB/WM Analyst programmes (such as UBS/CS/Citi) where you get to do Assistant RM or Investment Consulting type of rotations/roles. Closest to a IC type of role would be doing Investment Advisory but for the most part, SC WM grad programme makes you do product related work, which is not MO/BO btw, unless you doing ops in their WM division.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it. So, would you say it’s relatively easier to go from retail RM to PB RM as compared with Corp RM??

Unregistered 03-02-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201189)
Thanks for the response, really appreciate it. So, would you say it’s relatively easier to go from retail RM to PB RM as compared with Corp RM??

Yes, I would definitely say so

Unregistered 04-02-2022 06:32 PM

Applied for the International Graduate program this year have passed the pymetrics and workplace tests, was told that my application is advanced to the next stage which I think is the video interview. Yet, email mentioned the details will be sent within 5 days but it’s been 10 days and no details on the next step…. Emailed them and was told it will be sent “soon” 3 days ago but again nothing was sent… did anyone faced this too? Not too sure what’s going on and it doesn’t make sense that I’m rejected right when they told me I passed and was advanced to the next stage.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201390)
Applied for the International Graduate program this year have passed the pymetrics and workplace tests, was told that my application is advanced to the next stage which I think is the video interview. Yet, email mentioned the details will be sent within 5 days but it’s been 10 days and no details on the next step…. Emailed them and was told it will be sent “soon” 3 days ago but again nothing was sent… did anyone faced this too? Not too sure what’s going on and it doesn’t make sense that I’m rejected right when they told me I passed and was advanced to the next stage.

most roles are already filled

Unregistered 04-02-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201412)

how do you know?

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201412)

Oh, applied a couple weeks ago as they put up job postings for it. Hence I assume it is still open and they are still recruiting, if not why would they put up job postings for the position. If it’s filled, the HR could have replied stating it but they didn’t and shared that they will be sending the video interview details “soon”…

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201435)
Oh, applied a couple weeks ago as they put up job postings for it. Hence I assume it is still open and they are still recruiting, if not why would they put up job postings for the position. If it’s filled, the HR could have replied stating it but they didn’t and shared that they will be sending the video interview details “soon”…

welcome to the banking industry. almost every bank hires on a rolling basis and do not close the application even after the role is filled. the job posting usually has an end date where it is auto closed and not done manually by HR.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201435)

Don't mind him, no one knows if the roles are filled unless they are HR, hiring managers of that particular department, or are in touch with them. Be hopeful, yet not fixated.. keep on applying for other opportunities.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201436)
welcome to the banking industry. almost every bank hires on a rolling basis and do not close the application even after the role is filled. the job posting usually has an end date where it is auto closed and not done manually by HR.

very true - HR are lazy underpaid bums lol

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Which role did you apply for? offers have been given out already for some divisions (FM, WM, SCV, Strat). though i can't confirm whether all offers have been given out across all divisions, i believe that most of the recruitment is either done (candidates accepted alr, slots filled) or in the very late stage already (midst of arranging last few ACs / ACs just wrapped up / waiting for candidates to accept offer).

Recruitment for DCDA or TDR may be slightly slower than the other divisions though (and thus recruitment not fully done), just my gut feel.

Unregistered 04-02-2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201449)
Which role did you apply for? offers have been given out already for some divisions (FM, WM, SCV, Strat). though i can't confirm whether all offers have been given out across all divisions, i believe that most of the recruitment is either done (candidates accepted alr, slots filled) or in the very late stage already (midst of arranging last few ACs / ACs just wrapped up / waiting for candidates to accept offer).

Recruitment for DCDA or TDR may be slightly slower than the other divisions though (and thus recruitment not fully done), just my gut feel.

FM, WM, CCIB offers are out

Unregistered 05-02-2022 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201450)
FM, WM, CCIB offers are out

do you happen to know how many offers of each of those 3 divisions were given out? just curious

Unregistered 05-02-2022 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201452)
do you happen to know how many offers of each of those 3 divisions were given out? just curious

I know FM is about 5 every year. In total, IGP batch has about 30 graduates from SG.

Unregistered 05-02-2022 05:59 AM

Quote:

Applied for Strategy and Transformation

Unregistered 05-02-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

TDR has already offered but not for all positions, they are hiring up to 8.

Unregistered 05-02-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201436)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201447)
very true - HR are lazy underpaid bums lol

Don't mind me saying this but this applies for many other companies as well, MNC or even SME. Applicants are already encouraged to apply early always and not assume they will consider everyone who applied before the role is closed. A lot of the onus is on us as applicants imo vs. HR who has to process the volume.

Unregistered 05-02-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Not sure how long have you been on your job search journey but this is very common, as much as it shouldn't be. If you have emailed them and they said it will be sent soon then you could take their word for it but don't expect that it will really come. The division you applied for may have already been handing out offers, or that if they still have upcoming ACs, they have already found suitable enough candidates to go through AC etc. Reasons could be aplenty, we don't know how they work behind the scenes.

Should they have told you outright sorry you are not moving to the next round because we have found enough people? Maybe, but it seems like they have yet to give out all the offers (and are accepted by the candidates) and hence they can't say so also. You are stuck in a limbo because you applied late. Hope the video interview comes for you but don't be mad if it doesn't.

Unregistered 06-02-2022 02:49 PM

Hi I received an offer for the Graduate - Strategy and Transformation role. Any one heard of this division before and the potential prospects? Seems like a new function under the IG programme!

Unregistered 07-02-2022 02:27 PM

those in CCIB, DCDA, as an investor are your stock trading transactions reportable to the firm? E.g. for every buy/sell are you required to seek approvals first?

Unregistered 07-02-2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201628)
Hi I received an offer for the Graduate - Strategy and Transformation role. Any one heard of this division before and the potential prospects? Seems like a new function under the IG programme!

I have a senior who was in this division last year, he left halfway through as not much learning curve. If you’re hoping to leverage on this and get into strategy elsewhere, suggest you to consider other divisions or strategy roles in other firms instead. Must strategy consulting roles do not really look highly on SC’s strategy department as it is rather new and not much strategic planning you do in banks. Other division has a longer reputation and it is easier for you to jump to strategy roles elsewhere in future.

Suggestion is for you to think twice before accepting.

Unregistered 08-02-2022 11:22 AM

Hi all, seems like for SC they also hire fresh grad for entry level roles other than for the IG programme. Is it as good for one to go into SC not under the Grad program? Actually what’s the main difference of you join as a fresh grad vs you join under the grad program? Does the latter provide more training and you get promoted faster? Salary wise should be about the same right?

Unregistered 08-02-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201962)
Hi all, seems like for SC they also hire fresh grad for entry level roles other than for the IG programme. Is it as good for one to go into SC not under the Grad program? Actually what’s the main difference of you join as a fresh grad vs you join under the grad program? Does the latter provide more training and you get promoted faster? Salary wise should be about the same right?

Is the role you are offered still within the same department you applied for under the IG programme and do you have to go for another round of interview?

Unregistered 08-02-2022 09:09 PM

Does CCIB Client Coverage in Standard Chartered include Investment Banking?

Unregistered 08-02-2022 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 201962)

depends on division. read in previous posts that for FM, when u are in ig ure still rotating through different desks like an intern, and u are not guaranteed a spot at the end of rotations. but when u are hired straight to a desk (not under ig prog), your salary is higher as u are already an analyst.

Unregistered 08-02-2022 09:20 PM

Downside for being hired as an entry role instead of IG is that you don't get to undergo the IG orientation being offered and you don't get to experience different teams before deciding which you prefer to join. But salary wise and job security wise it's probably much better than IG.

Unregistered 10-02-2022 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202052)
Downside for being hired as an entry role instead of IG is that you don't get to undergo the IG orientation being offered and you don't get to experience different teams before deciding which you prefer to join. But salary wise and job security wise it's probably much better than IG.

you will defn loose out a lot of exp

Unregistered 10-02-2022 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202250)
you will defn loose out a lot of exp

not really, the orientation is probably cancelled due to covid so it'll be over zoom like last year.

the only experience u lose is the rotation ones. but if u get a starting role that u like from an entry level position instead of ig, i think it's much better than rotating through teams or desks u don't like. higher pay and not treated like an intern.

Unregistered 10-02-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202259)
not really, the orientation is probably cancelled due to covid so it'll be over zoom like last year.

the only experience u lose is the rotation ones. but if u get a starting role that u like from an entry level position instead of ig, i think it's much better than rotating through teams or desks u don't like. higher pay and not treated like an intern.

Orientation is minor imo. The program will also have its other softer benefits, like a clique of your fellow graduates to make friends with, wider network in the division because of the rotation. You never know who among these people can give you a leg up in the future.

But, if you know exactly what you want to do, no harm going straight to the role. If not, grad program good for you to explore around and see what you want to do.

Unregistered 10-02-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202290)
Orientation is minor imo. The program will also have its other softer benefits, like a clique of your fellow graduates to make friends with, wider network in the division because of the rotation. You never know who among these people can give you a leg up in the future.

But, if you know exactly what you want to do, no harm going straight to the role. If not, grad program good for you to explore around and see what you want to do.

yes ppl and network is the important thing :)