Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Standard Chartered International Graduate Program 2015 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4553-standard-chartered-international-graduate-program-2015-a.html)

samtanjw 08-10-2014 03:18 PM

Standard Chartered International Graduate Program 2015

Hi Guys,

Just thought i'll start up the thread for the Standard Chartered International Graduate Program 2015.
There are a number of streams available for grads and it looks like a quite well structured program.

Anyone has any idea of the work culture, remuneration etc or just some general feedback on this program.

Good luck applying!

samtanjw 08-10-2014 03:23 PM

Hi

I just completed my Video Interview 2 weeks ago and still awaiting news.
Anyone heard anything after the video yet?

toto 18-10-2014 12:05 AM

Waited 3 wks+ after the video interview.

Unregistered 19-10-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 57816)
Waited 3 wks+ after the video interview.

U got a reply after 3 weeks?

toto 20-10-2014 04:53 PM

Nope, still waiting.

Fantasista 03-11-2014 12:04 AM

Selection process

Hi guys, is it a standard process that SB invites everyone who applied for the program to an online strength assessment test shortly after?

Unregistered 03-11-2014 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasista (Post 58377)
Hi guys, is it a standard process that SB invites everyone who applied for the program to an online strength assessment test shortly after?

Yes. After the online strength test, there is a video interview.

Unregistered 03-11-2014 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58380)
Yes. After the online strength test, there is a video interview.

Anyone got news after video interview?

Unregistered 05-11-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 57906)
Nope, still waiting.

What were your video interview questions?

Unregistered 24-11-2014 11:18 PM

any idea what is the pay strucutre like across the different areas?

Whats the pay ladder like after the 1st year?

Unregistered 01-12-2014 10:03 PM

s://.wikijob.co.uk/forum/investment-banking-financial-services/standard-chartered-bank-2015-graduate-programme-0

Unregistered 02-12-2014 12:49 PM

is the SCB program or Exxon grad scheme better? which one harder to get in?

Unregistered 12-12-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samtanjw (Post 57469)
I just completed my Video Interview 2 weeks ago and still awaiting news.
Anyone heard anything after the video yet?

Was checking out some Nigerian forum on the same and guys are saying they've started receiving regret mails on their video interviews...I'm yet to get mine though. Still hopefull

Unregistered 12-12-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59961)
Was checking out some Nigerian forum on the same and guys are saying they've started receiving regret mails on their video interviews...I'm yet to get mine though. Still hopefull

hello, i think different countries have different timelines...

favorbychrist 14-12-2014 03:42 PM

about the Standard chartered international graduate program, video interview etc

Hey you guys? Judging by the ".sg" I'm assuming you're applications were done for the Singapore post. I applied for I.G in Kenya. Still no word yet on my status after the video interview which I did exactly 2 months ago. I do, however, have a Nigerian friend who got an invite, on the 12th, after his video interview to do a phone interview.
Hope alive I guess...

Unregistered 14-12-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by favorbychrist (Post 60040)
Hey you guys? Judging by the ".sg" I'm assuming you're applications were done for the Singapore post. I applied for I.G in Kenya. Still no word yet on my status after the video interview which I did exactly 2 months ago. I do, however, have a Nigerian friend who got an invite, on the 12th, after his video interview to do a phone interview.
Hope alive I guess...

I applied for IG in Antartica. Haven't got any reply yet.

Your friend must be a Nigerian prince to be invited for interview so early.

Unregistered 15-12-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60045)
I applied for IG in Antartica. Haven't got any reply yet.

Your friend must be a Nigerian prince to be invited for interview so early.

don't be so snarky...

"Antarctica" btw.

Unregistered 16-12-2014 11:32 AM

UOTE=Unregistered;59569]is the SCB program or Exxon grad scheme better? which one harder to get in?[/QUOTE]

You should go for SCB if possible. Everyone knows banking offer better pay and progression than any other industry. Exxon although also famous not as big as international banks or better brand in CV.

Unregistered 16-12-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60099)
UOTE=Unregistered;59569]is the SCB program or Exxon grad scheme better? which one harder to get in?

You should go for SCB if possible. Everyone knows banking offer better pay and progression than any other industry. Exxon although also famous not as big as international banks or better brand in CV.[/QUOTE]

Haha do u actually know anything or just shooting off the hip?

Exxon is 4-5 times the size of SCB in revenue, profit and market value. Exxon competes for grads with the likes of Shell, Google, Microsoft, MBB trio etc. Their banking equivalent is JPM and Goldman.

A commercial UK/SG based bank that is currently in financial trouble is not a relevant comparison with Exxon honestly.

Unregistered 16-12-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60111)
You should go for SCB if possible. Everyone knows banking offer better pay and progression than any other industry. Exxon although also famous not as big as international banks or better brand in CV.

Exxon is 4-5 times the size of SCB in revenue, profit and market value. Exxon competes for grads with the likes of Shell, Google, Microsoft, MBB trio etc. Their banking equivalent is JPM and Goldman.

A commercial UK/SG based bank that is currently in financial trouble is not a relevant comparison with Exxon honestly.[/QUOTE]

All of them would fail, including some of the major oil n gas without the govt intervention.
Interventionism leads to more malinvestment which would require more intervention

Unregistered 16-12-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60112)

A commercial UK/SG based bank that is currently in financial trouble is not a relevant comparison with Exxon honestly.

All of them would fail, including some of the major oil n gas without the govt intervention.
Interventionism leads to more malinvestment which would require more intervention[/QUOTE]

BP and Halliburton are cutting down on their staff...

then again, the oil and gas situation may improve... who knows...

just go for something that interests you

Unregistered 17-12-2014 06:36 PM

dun join BP, a lot of market talk out there that Shell is going to take over them and u can be sure that they will massive chop all the existing BP staff if that happens.

my friend work there and he told me even in sg a lot of people from BP are desperately sending CVs to Shell & Exxon, most of the top performers already kana poach by the 2 BBs already.

Unregistered 18-12-2014 11:44 AM

SCB definitely better pay and prospects than Exxon. For the same job banking will pay 40%-50% higher than oil and gas and bonus double the amount.

Unregistered 18-12-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60171)
SCB definitely better pay and prospects than Exxon. For the same job banking will pay 40%-50% higher than oil and gas and bonus double the amount.

Are you sure?

I was with ConocoPhillips 2 years ago as an analyst in the customer planning space and was drawing 7.3k with bonus at ~5 months. By your numbers you mean banking sector pays ~11k + 10 mth bonus for the same job???

Unregistered 18-12-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60172)
Are you sure?

I was with ConocoPhillips 2 years ago as an analyst in the customer planning space and was drawing 7.3k with bonus at ~5 months. By your numbers you mean banking sector pays ~11k + 10 mth bonus for the same job???

Unlikely. 11k monthly + 10 months bonus will bring the total package to 250k a year, you need more like SVP level in foregin banks to get so much...

Unregistered 18-12-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60171)

i call bull...

Unregistered 19-12-2014 11:12 AM

a SVP in scb is paid 800k+ annual all-in, no way oil & gas can match

TT4 11-03-2015 01:25 AM

The program will allow you to rotate among the different teams within your stream. To the best of my knowledge, there is no international rotation during the course of the 1 year. There is however considerable mobility to be deployed in a permanent position outside your home country upon the completion of your program me.

The quality of the program is probably so-so in terms of academic rigor - you'll get to do 1 or 2 academic sessions over the year (prob in HK/KL/SG or Shanghai). You'll get to learn about the fundamental basics of the main banking products but the intellectual rigor will probably not be comparable to say an analyst training program in a large investment bank for instance. You will however, be graded and given a ranking out of your cohort which in the absence of any differentiating factor between you and your fellow IG when the crunch comes to competing for jobs, it will count.

Remuneration probably starts out the same across all streams, but your longer term earning potential diverges after your deployment. I'm guessing Coverage & Corp Fin (IBD+Corp Banking) will probably provide the highest remuneration potential followed by FM / TB. Consumer Banking, GTO will probably tend to pay lower by virtue of the nature of the business.

If you have absolutely no clue about what you want to do, ambivalent about banking / no finance background, this can probably get your foot into banking and let yourself figure out what you actually want to do after moving around. If you one of those who specifically know what exactly what role in banking that you want to pursue, say IBD etc, then you are probably better off applying to a bank with a tailored analyst training program which puts you in one entire team (the permanent team that you work with) right from the start.

The most comparable program would probably be that of the Citi Global MA program, which in my subjective (possibly incorrect) opinion, is more prestigious simply on the basis of where the alumni end up - Citi is possibly more generous when it comes to promoting its own trainees and some do actually make it to the highest echelons of their chosen fields within the bank. SC IG program however, i don't think there are many leaders within the organization who were ex-IGs since the bank generally hires laterally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samtanjw (Post 57465)
Hi Guys,

Just thought i'll start up the thread for the Standard Chartered International Graduate Program 2015.
There are a number of streams available for grads and it looks like a quite well structured program.

Anyone has any idea of the work culture, remuneration etc or just some general feedback on this program.

Good luck applying!

TT4 11-03-2015 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60186)
Unlikely. 11k monthly + 10 months bonus will bring the total package to 250k a year, you need more like SVP level in foregin banks to get so much...

Actually, some front office associates may likely make that a amount all-in. Not even SVP level. And SCB is not even the top-paymaster on the street. Granted there is wide disparity and comp is largely dependent on your function/department/team within the bank

Unregistered 13-11-2017 09:37 PM

has anyone gone to the HR or panel interview stage?

Unregistered 13-11-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT4 (Post 63930)
Actually, some front office associates may likely make that a amount all-in. Not even SVP level. And SCB is not even the top-paymaster on the street. Granted there is wide disparity and comp is largely dependent on your function/department/team within the bank

://sbr.com.sg/source/efinancialcareers/heres-what-private-banking-salaries-and-bonuses-should-be-in-singapore

As per this article, private Bankers salary is not as exaggerated as this claim.

Unregistered 14-11-2017 05:01 AM

Can confirm that front office associates in bulge bracket investment banks (only investment banking division or S&T, excludes asset management, private banking, consumer banking front officee etc.) are paid around 250k all in (ranging to 300k). Also note that these are not 'management associate' programmes but are direct streams into IBD and S&T from the start.

Also, figures refer to only bulge bracket global investment banks and not regional banks (e.g. HSBC, StandChart, DBS do not count).

Unregistered 14-11-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101774)
Can confirm that front office associates in bulge bracket investment banks (only investment banking division or S&T, excludes asset management, private banking, consumer banking front officee etc.) are paid around 250k all in (ranging to 300k). Also note that these are not 'management associate' programmes but are direct streams into IBD and S&T from the start.

Also, figures refer to only bulge bracket global investment banks and not regional banks (e.g. HSBC, StandChart, DBS do not count).

What are you smoking? BB pay for IBD/S&T is around 10-11k/month base. Gone are the days with 1 year bonus especially in Asia where deals are drying up.

AM pay dosent differ too much in a BB too, fyi.

Unregistered 14-11-2017 10:49 AM

Egger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101778)
What are you smoking? BB pay for IBD/S&T is around 10-11k/month base. Gone are the days with 1 year bonus especially in Asia where deals are drying up.

AM pay dosent differ too much in a BB too, fyi.

*associate*

Unregistered 14-11-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101768)
has anyone gone to the HR or panel interview stage?

I havent heard anything from them yet. Still waiting.

Unregistered 18-12-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101784)
I havent heard anything from them yet. Still waiting.

Hi has anyone heard back from SCB?? its been ages since my video interview...

Unregistered 19-12-2017 12:58 AM

Exposure

Despite SCB is an UK based bank, you dun see any SCB ATM and branches in UK.

SCB has only got big presence in Singapore due to Temesek being its shareholder.

I will not count SCB as those big ass investment banks in Wall streets and London financial district.

SCB is just a foreign shell with Singapore internal organs, don’t expect SCB to pay big bucks salary.

Unregistered 12-11-2018 08:03 PM

Hi! Has anyone made progress with the 2019 applications? Got an email that they're making HR phone interviews this November, but I've not heard back.

Unregistered 10-12-2018 09:15 AM

Hello, did anyone receive any news after the video interview? Been a while on my end too after the video interview, but no news so far

Unregistered 16-12-2018 08:25 PM

yes I did. I did a phone interview with HR them final Skype interview with MD's. waiting for results from my final interview