Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DBS Management Associate Program 2015 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4552-dbs-management-associate-program-2015-a.html)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136927)
This is such a misguided comment in so many ways. How does one even survive in banking without a competitive character. If one lacks the drive to do well in a local bank, he/she need not even think of surviving in an international bank. The grads there are ranked as well, and promotion is not guaranteed as well.

And the job environment can’t possibly be worse than right now. If you have been following any form of economic forecasts/outlook we are expected to return to pre-covid status (economy wise) by 2022/2023.

You are misguiding as well. How can you assume that all the emap applicants are currently from the banking sector... they could have been from other industry and is cruising right now with high income. Like a stable job in the civil service?

Won’t it be a poor judgement to join the ma program in this sense...

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136935)
You are misguiding as well. How can you assume that all the emap applicants are currently from the banking sector... they could have been from other industry and is cruising right now with high income. Like a stable job in the civil service?

I'm not sure if I'm following your logic. All that I'm saying is if an applicant is not prepared to face competition, then banking is not an environment for them, regardless of the pay. Even if EMAP offers 5 digits remuneration, they wouldn't survive long in the industry. So pay alone should not be a motivating factor to join banking without some interest/grit to begin with.

And assuming that applicants have the right caliber and qualities, I seriously doubt they won't be fetching near 5k after 3 years of hard work. Even audit pays 4k+ after 3 years. So brings me back to my point that the compensation needs to be more competitive if the bank is serious about attracting the right crowd.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136935)

I'm not sure if I'm following your logic. Was I, by any means, assuming that all applicants were from banking backgrounds?

All that I'm saying is that the entire banking industry is highly competitive, and international banks probably more so than local banks. It doesn't matter what pay DBS is offering, be it 5k, 6k or 10k, if the applicant is not ready to face competition, he/she won't last in banking in general, and it would be a poor decision to join the EMAP programme (or any other banking programme). Regardless, no point debating on this.

Good luck to anyone with upcoming panels.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136887)
Bro and sisters who Currently has a job that pay more than 5k. No point risking joining the MA program. In one year time if you are not ranked among the top few MA, your prospects will be bad for the next few years in this economy climate.

Nonetheless if you are the chiongster dog eat dog type that constantly fight to outshine other MA and strive to be among the top ranked MA, and your job or pending job offered are currently below 5k it will be worth.

It really depends on your character.

Thank you in enlightening me! so scary to join this program………………..

I look at the job advert again & saw this -> " Executive MAs graduating from this programme who show excellent leadership capabilities and are consistently top performers will be groomed "

I originally think that joining this program can be compared with the civil service scholars programs. Even things screw up it will be still an iron rice bowl with progression. having to compete with others to be ranked among the top for placements or grooming, I will rather stay at my current job which is paid more...……………….

will be glad if someone here can provide ideas on how to withdraw from the program without burning bridges since I will so be proceeding to the last stage soon ………………...

Unregistered 06-06-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137021)
Thank you in enlightening me! so scary to join this program………………..

I look at the job advert again & saw this -> " Executive MAs graduating from this programme who show excellent leadership capabilities and are consistently top performers will be groomed "

I originally think that joining this program can be compared with the civil service scholars programs. Even things screw up it will be still an iron rice bowl with progression. having to compete with others to be ranked among the top for placements or grooming, I will rather stay at my current job which is paid more...……………….

will be glad if someone here can provide ideas on how to withdraw from the program without burning bridges since I will so be proceeding to the last stage soon ………………...

Looks like need to weight on quiting my current job for me as well & also on the prospect of ranking not among the top few MA. It will be hard to find a new job in this economy after the 1 year program if sidelined by the company & have to leave.

Unregistered 08-06-2020 12:09 PM

Did anyone from IBG hear about the case and the panel interview?

Unregistered 08-06-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137264)

No, I doubt they freeze the headcount of IBG.....

Unregistered 08-06-2020 04:24 PM

Can anybody who got the latest email for next stage share what is your latest status and updated date on the taleo career portal?

Unregistered 08-06-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137264)

Just received an email that I’m unsuccessful (IBG).

For those that are still in the running, all the best!

Unregistered 08-06-2020 08:28 PM

A friendly advice from an MA alumni - when times are good, the MA/EMAP programmes are the best place to try it out and accelerate your career. Even if you do not fall within the top xx % of the cohort, chances are you will likely be able to secure a good spot in a BU.

When times are bad, it is where MA/EMAP are hit the hardest. Those who fall outside of the top xx % cohort may find themselves in "no man's land". It's where they are deemed surplus to requirements.

With COVID19 here to stay and the economy not recovering for the next 18mths, it's best to stay in your current role unless this calls for a 20% increment. Trust me #beentheredonethat