Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 30-06-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87922)
So you dont travel at all? Not even for leisure?!

Of course I do but not in this terror-infested era. With all these bombings around, still travel ? Your life is cheap but my life is priceless.

Unregistered 30-06-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87966)
Of course I do but not in this terror-infested era. With all these bombings around, still travel ? Your life is cheap but my life is priceless.

becos of people like you, MNCs will offer their choicest jobs to foreign talents who are cosmopolitan. You strike me as a hermit (frog in a well) kind of personality. As you age you will be surpassed by younger , fresher talents. The only way to excel is to build up your expertise and view your current opportunity in a global point, what would other countries in the same position be doing? Aim to act , think in a global way. Singapore is the hub for many functions, finance, supply chain.. etc Because our good govt has tried to entice MNCs to build their core functions and Asia HQ here.
With this, there are more global or regional opportunities where Singapore make the decisions and advised the regional countries on management related issues. This paths the way to more "intellect required" jobs, out with the production/no added value functions.

But if all our youngsters behave and think like you, then MNCs will import external talents even if they set up base in Singapore.
Hence contradicting the "MNCs import foreign talent" mentality. When in truth, its because our Singaporeans are too laid back and lazy to take up the challenge.

Unregistered 30-06-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87967)
becos of people like you, MNCs will offer their choicest jobs to foreign talents who are cosmopolitan. You strike me as a hermit (frog in a well) kind of personality. As you age you will be surpassed by younger , fresher talents. The only way to excel is to build up your expertise and view your current opportunity in a global point, what would other countries in the same position be doing? Aim to act , think in a global way. Singapore is the hub for many functions, finance, supply chain.. etc Because our good govt has tried to entice MNCs to build their core functions and Asia HQ here.
With this, there are more global or regional opportunities where Singapore make the decisions and advised the regional countries on management related issues. This paths the way to more "intellect required" jobs, out with the production/no added value functions.

But if all our youngsters behave and think like you, then MNCs will import external talents even if they set up base in Singapore.
Hence contradicting the "MNCs import foreign talent" mentality. When in truth, its because our Singaporeans are too laid back and lazy to take up the challenge.

Well said!

Unregistered 30-06-2016 02:45 PM

Don't worry, the best Singaporean students won't act this way. What you're looking at is the worse of the lot, the "humji" kind.

Unregistered 30-06-2016 09:16 PM

hi all, im a kinda in a situation where i am not sure if i should complain to MOM. my employer decided to replace me with another person without my consultation. so now, I'm transferred to a completely different role.. and my boss still say be thankful you still have a job..

is it normal for a large MNC to change a person's position? ( i did not know about it till a new guy was hired) Is it even legal? And i did express my unhappiness, but no use.

Unregistered 30-06-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87987)
hi all, im a kinda in a situation where i am not sure if i should complain to MOM. my employer decided to replace me with another person without my consultation. so now, I'm transferred to a completely different role.. and my boss still say be thankful you still have a job..

is it normal for a large MNC to change a person's position? ( i did not know about it till a new guy was hired) Is it even legal? And i did express my unhappiness, but no use.

Yes it is perfectly legal and 99% of employment contract will say company reserve the right to transfer you to do another job.

Unless they cut your salary, then you can complain.

Unregistered 01-07-2016 05:16 AM

I hate singapore. I will not vote. I was cursed from getting new jobs.

Unregistered 01-07-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87967)

Really ? I am not talking about 'Singaporeans should not venture overseas'. I am talking about personal safety. So your wall of text is irrelevant by spinning off from the original meaning.

Looks like you are the GENUINE FROG IN THE WELL here. Your life is CHEAP but my life is priceless. You want to go to terror-stricken area to 'build up your expertise and view your current opportunity in a global point', by all means, no one is stopping you. Oh, please don't be so stupid and naïve to think that everywhere is safe. Such is a typical mindset of the local, no sense of danger and everyday thinking you will forever be in comfy zone. LOL !

Unregistered 01-07-2016 10:37 AM

There is a balance here, and it's a personal assessment of risk based on personal circumstances.

My company works all over the Asia-pacific. I will not work in high risk locations (E.g Pakistan and Bangladesh). I am senior enough and secure enough in my career to tell my employer to take it or leave it. I will not put the company interests before my Wife and kids.

It has nothing to do with being a from in the well.

If the young lady posting earlier was to be sexually assaulted in India, then who gives a damn about the opinions expressed here. Sexual assault against women in India is a very real concern. It's endemic there.

Unregistered 01-07-2016 02:26 PM

Would you apply for the job that requirements put : Competent in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, when you only are more competent in Word and Excel ?

Would you take the risk to work there if somehow they decide to hire you after a successful interview but during the interview never touch on the competency of the Microsoft skills ?