Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 30-06-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140321)
do u mind sharing if it’s a SB or min?

It is ministry

Unregistered 30-06-2020 12:43 PM

Imho, I feel that it is good to follow up with HR once every 2 weeks ideally. Otherwise, once a week is fine but slight risk of being too proactive. Every company has different work practices, you may or may not get a reply as its a busy period, just keep your options open while following up.

Unregistered 30-06-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140327)
Imho, I feel that it is good to follow up with HR once every 2 weeks ideally. Otherwise, once a week is fine but slight risk of being too proactive. Every company has different work practices, you may or may not get a reply as its a busy period, just keep your options open while following up.

thanks for the advice! I was worried about annoying the HR😂 so far I’ve only sent 2 emails in 2 months, and the last one was ignored

Unregistered 30-06-2020 07:52 PM

When 'submitted' become 'in process', is it common to wait for weeks?

Should i email HR?

Unregistered 30-06-2020 07:59 PM

Can people who work in gov HR share what usually goes on during the 2 - 3 weeks after interviewing a candidate?

How many candidates are usually interviewed for a single role?

Does HR has any say in the hiring of candidates?

Unregistered 30-06-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140373)
Can people who work in gov HR share what usually goes on during the 2 - 3 weeks after interviewing a candidate?

How many candidates are usually interviewed for a single role?

Does HR has any say in the hiring of candidates?

Interested to know as well. TIA.

Understand that ea min/SB is different but wld appreciate any such insights

Unregistered 01-07-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140371)
When 'submitted' become 'in process', is it common to wait for weeks?

Should i email HR?

The statuses mean nothing.

Most hr are lowly educated malaysian lians (they are allowed to work in Singapore's public service as long as it isn't in sensitive positions) who don't know the difference between those words, nor do they bother to change the status.

That's why you will see people saying the status on their applications remaining as one of those two forever, but in reality they have either been rejected or none of what they submitted has ever been seen by a real person.

Unfortunately this lian has the power to scan through the list of names and qualifications, and pick which she fancies. If the lian has STPM/'A' levels, she might change your status to 'in process'. If she is dumber she might leave it as 'submitted'.

Then she downloads and forwards them to the person who wants initiated the hiring. The hiring manager looks at these applications based on qualifications, work experience, age, race and gender. The lian will be ordered to call and arrange an interview for those the hiring manager fancies. If none are to liking, the lian will need to comb through the list of submissions again or check the new submissions.

If you meet the qualifications, experience, age, race and gender fit, you will be called within 2 weeks. Don't bother waiting any longer or emailing.

Unregistered 01-07-2020 11:44 AM

Hi guys, wondering if it’s normal to wait over 2 months after verbal offer for a written offer? This is for a ministry not in defence field. Hr keeps promising one deadline and then exceeding said deadline, says they’re still processing. How likely is it for a verbal offer to be retracted?

Unregistered 01-07-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140444)
Hi guys, wondering if it’s normal to wait over 2 months after verbal offer for a written offer? This is for a ministry not in defence field. Hr keeps promising one deadline and then exceeding said deadline, says they’re still processing. How likely is it for a verbal offer to be retracted?

I feel highly likely. Maybe you are not first choice candidate and their first choice has not signed or started work officially so they are putting you on hold in case they choose to rescind. Quite cb but its the case everywhere including public sect.

Unregistered 01-07-2020 01:01 PM

hi guys, is it normal that HR/hiring managers have yet to make a decision 2 months after interview?

Unregistered 01-07-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140444)

I worry about this too, because my medical appointment was suddenly cancelled and changed to filling up a form instead

Unregistered 01-07-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140460)
hi guys, is it normal that HR/hiring managers have yet to make a decision 2 months after interview?

not normal

Unregistered 03-07-2020 12:37 PM

Does PUB gives out AWS (13 month bonus)?

Unregistered 04-07-2020 01:20 PM

Reapply

Anyone met with a suitation whereby you have cleared all the supposed interviews and clearance, thereafter you turn down the contract due to very valid health reason (eg. major operation).

They relisted the appointment recently, and my doctor gave me a clean bill of health. I was wondering what are the chances of my reapplication for the appointment? Will i actually still be considered?

Side note: when i turn down the offer, it ended on a pretty good note. no any sour feelings between both parties.

Unregistered 04-07-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140876)
Anyone met with a suitation whereby you have cleared all the supposed interviews and clearance, thereafter you turn down the contract due to very valid health reason (eg. major operation).

They relisted the appointment recently, and my doctor gave me a clean bill of health. I was wondering what are the chances of my reapplication for the appointment? Will i actually still be considered?

Side note: when i turn down the offer, it ended on a pretty good note. no any sour feelings between both parties.

Call HR to check if the previous offer still stands.

Unregistered 04-07-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140892)
Call HR to check if the previous offer still stands.

Just wondering, usually what are the chances man? Like will they offer again even😕 dropped them a mail liaow

Unregistered 04-07-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140909)
Just wondering, usually what are the chances man? Like will they offer again even😕 dropped them a mail liaow

Since u said didnt end on sour note it should be fine but I doubt former offer will still stand. U may have to apply and go through the interview process again as there may be candidates that are better than u this time round. Also Depends on dept headcount.

Unregistered 05-07-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140911)
Since u said didnt end on sour note it should be fine but I doubt former offer will still stand. U may have to apply and go through the interview process again as there may be candidates that are better than u this time round. Also Depends on dept headcount.

Yes. I figured that too 😕

Unregistered 06-07-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 140464)
I worry about this too, because my medical appointment was suddenly cancelled and changed to filling up a form instead

I faced the same situation too. May I know what did you apply for?

Unregistered 06-07-2020 04:36 PM

Was requested to provide current salary info and details for HR to prepare the salary package. Does anyone know approximately how long would this stage take? A week? Thanks!

Unregistered 06-07-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141082)
Was requested to provide current salary info and details for HR to prepare the salary package. Does anyone know approximately how long would this stage take? A week? Thanks!

I heard back in 2 days with a proposed salary range.

Unregistered 06-07-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141082)

I think every employers have different timelines. It can be days, weeks or months as I have seen in this thread.

Unregistered 06-07-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133918)
Anyone with experience on HTX interview process?

Just had my 2nd interview last Tuesday. They did mention that they’ll get back within 1-2 weeks. However based on some posts in this thread it seems that the chances of getting the job gets lower as time goes by? Wondering if anyone who applied for HTX had some experiences on this?

Any news on this ?

Unregistered 08-07-2020 11:25 AM

Is it normal for HR to ask for your latest payslip (compulsory) before the interview?

Unregistered 08-07-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141310)
Is it normal for HR to ask for your latest payslip (compulsory) before the interview?

I think it's normal. Encountered twice.

Unregistered 08-07-2020 10:03 PM

How to sense if the hiring manager would like to hire you?
If they talked with you like 1 hour, manrtioned you OK, in the end said wait HR, within 2 weeks.

Will HR inform me if I'm not selected?

Unregistered 09-07-2020 01:11 PM

The government sector appears to punish those who make any mistake in their career. I joined a stat board at the start of this year but it turns out to be the wrong job fit and went to apply for jobs after 3 months. Every interview the panel will say I job hop even after I explained the reason for looking out and reject me. Like that is no one allowed to make a mistake? Then they have to suffer at the wrong company for how many more months or years then is more politically correct to look again?

Unregistered 09-07-2020 01:46 PM

if i am asked to do a health questionnaire, does it mean high chance of getting offered?

Unregistered 09-07-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141356)
How to sense if the hiring manager would like to hire you?
If they talked with you like 1 hour, manrtioned you OK, in the end said wait HR, within 2 weeks.

Will HR inform me if I'm not selected?

They always inform me if I am rejected after interview.

Unregistered 09-07-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141387)
The government sector appears to punish those who make any mistake in their career. I joined a stat board at the start of this year but it turns out to be the wrong job fit and went to apply for jobs after 3 months. Every interview the panel will say I job hop even after I explained the reason for looking out and reject me. Like that is no one allowed to make a mistake? Then they have to suffer at the wrong company for how many more months or years then is more politically correct to look again?

Obviously for your case, the HR thinks you could be a good fit hence you are invited for the interview.

However, it is the actualy department who rejected you.

I would say not all departments are like that, and you should keep trying.

Good luck and god speed.

Unregistered 10-07-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141387)

Hey, dont be disheartened! If I may offer some hope/consolation, I also had very short 1-3 month stints on my resume but i managed to get job at a stat board anyway. I think the way you explain it really matters, because to the SB hiring it may seem like the problem was you, i.e. you are not a good fit for public sector/may not be in it for the long run, hence the decision to turn you down. In my case i guess it helped that my stints were from private sector, so i could play the whole "wanted to explore options in private sector before finally settling down in public sector" to let them know it was experimental and that my passion lays here.

Definitely try not too be too honest w your explanation, like saying that xx didnt suit you/you didnt like the culture etc/werent a good fit. Keep it vague and try to smoke them a bit lol. But this is a good lesson to other new hires, better to stick it out in a job for 1 year and build a resume than hop about 3 months each :(

Unregistered 12-07-2020 10:15 PM

Anyone experienced waiting to sign the contract for weeks?

Unregistered 13-07-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141578)
Anyone experienced waiting to sign the contract for weeks?

Hi, I'm not in SB but in uniform service. Signing soon after a month of waiting (after getting the acceptance email last month).

Unregistered 13-07-2020 02:30 PM

Contract to perm position

Hello,

I have received a 3-mth contract offer from MSF via an external recruitment agency. Just wondering what are the chances of the contract to be converted into a perm position?

Unregistered 13-07-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141624)
Hello,

I have received a 3-mth contract offer from MSF via an external recruitment agency. Just wondering what are the chances of the contract to be converted into a perm position?

Frankly, nobody here will know.

It is best you ask your bosses and Human Resources.

Congrats btw, what role is this?

sinkingfeeling 13-07-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141462)
Hey, dont be disheartened! If I may offer some hope/consolation, I also had very short 1-3 month stints on my resume but i managed to get job at a stat board anyway. I think the way you explain it really matters, because to the SB hiring it may seem like the problem was you, i.e. you are not a good fit for public sector/may not be in it for the long run, hence the decision to turn you down. In my case i guess it helped that my stints were from private sector, so i could play the whole "wanted to explore options in private sector before finally settling down in public sector" to let them know it was experimental and that my passion lays here.

Definitely try not too be too honest w your explanation, like saying that xx didnt suit you/you didnt like the culture etc/werent a good fit. Keep it vague and try to smoke them a bit lol. But this is a good lesson to other new hires, better to stick it out in a job for 1 year and build a resume than hop about 3 months each :(

Luckily I don't even need to bother because I'm a private uni grad, no such worries :(

jasonjason 14-07-2020 10:37 AM

Hi Guys

During economic crisis, has there been any rescind of offers, or termination after probation period in public sector?

I have been to multiple interviews so far, and after seeing the gdp contract so much... i'm having 2nd thoughts if i should accept any offer and resign.

Unregistered 14-07-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjason (Post 141675)
Hi Guys

During economic crisis, has there been any rescind of offers, or termination after probation period in public sector?

I have been to multiple interviews so far, and after seeing the gdp contract so much... i'm having 2nd thoughts if i should accept any offer and resign.

why resign if you alr have job??

Unregistered 14-07-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141698)
why resign if you alr have job??

No progress in current job, other exciting jobs came up in my radar

Unregistered 14-07-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjason (Post 141675)
Hi Guys

and in an recession, one can get retrenched from current job. everything has a risk.

if your new company take back the offer, then just take back your letter of resignation from your current company