Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

clytan 07-07-2021 10:54 AM

Hi all,

I have received a call from HR to inform me that they are interested in giving me an offer in a governmental job, and as they assured me that there is a standard computation of in the civil service, I disclosed my current salary to them and some variable components. I am unsure, on hindsight, if this would affect my salary offer. Hence, I have the following questions:
  1. Am I able to negotiate for a higher salary after the offer letter is received should it be below my expectations, e.g., it is lower than the range seen in Glassdoor?
  2. What is the usual way of doing so, especially given that they already know my current salary? Am I allowed to ask for the details of how they calculate the salary? I noticed that the pay ranges for each grade (e.g., MX12, MX13) is quite wide.
  3. Can I clarify and/or negotiate other terms, such as HR benefits and variable salary components, during this stage? If yes, what are the benefits I can ask about without sounding over-demanding? A sharing of general benefits in civil service would be helpful!
  4. What is the general procedure like should there be changes in conditions set from the initial offer letter due to negotiations? (e.g., would there be rounds of checks from different people, processing time, email or call, is it standard practice to come up with a counter proposal)
  5. Am I allowed to negotiate the starting date that is different from what I presented in the application stages? And if yes, what is a good reason to state?
  6. How long can I take to ponder over the conditions stated in the offer letter before signing it?

Thank you and sorry for the many questions. This is my first time negotiating salary (I didn't in my first job, which is bad!) and I don't want to end up lowballing myself.

Please also advise me to a more appropriate resource/platform if need be. Thank you so much!

Unregistered 07-07-2021 11:33 AM

Hi, if my current company offer me a good counter offer (promotion + pay increment), do you think I should rescind SB offered? (Agreed verbally but not yet sign on dot although SB HR did highlight verbal=formal, sign on the dot just formality).

Will i be blacklist + its safe to take up counter offer?

Unregistered 07-07-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177075)
What do you usually answer when asked ‘are you applying for other jobs too’?

I usually say 'no i am not, yours is the only job i applied for. I put all my eggs into 1 basket too'.

Unregistered 07-07-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177158)
I usually say 'no i am not, yours is the only job i applied for. I put all my eggs into 1 basket too'.

Tats y never get selected, haha.. cause hirer know ur ********ting..cos no one will only apply 1 job!!

Unregistered 07-07-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177192)
Tats y never get selected, haha.. cause hirer know ur ********ting..cos no one will only apply 1 job!!

It's fine to be honest with the interviewers because it will give them an estimate timeline to get back to you if they are interested in hiring you.

Unregistered 07-07-2021 06:15 PM

Hi all, it’s been 2.5 weeks since my assessment test and I called HR up to check on my application. They said they were still processing - are HRs usually reliable or are they just trying to be diplomatic with their words? The wait is nail biting… anyone Able to offer advice? Should I just move on and forget about it?

Unregistered 07-07-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176183)
SB/ 2 yrs contract at first instance.
HR assure me high chance to convert depending on my performance

End Feb- apply
+2 weeks - HR contact for first interview
+1 week - first interview (with DD)
+ 2 week - HR contact to submit forms, including salary slip etc
+3 weeks - HR contact for second interview
+2 weeks - second interview (with DD and D)
+1 day - HR contact to express interest to process my application
+8 weeks - HR call to confirm offer
(HR email at one month mark asking to give them more time)

--------------------------------
+1 week HR inform signing of letter within a week from today.

Tips:
1. To have existing job first. I would have given up if not for my current job
2. Make sure you know yourself first, such as any financial embarrassment, criminal record
3. Never give up
4. Never give up
5. Never give up

eh with criminal record also possible la just try only

Unregistered 08-07-2021 04:48 PM

Hi, I got an offer from stat board but believe was Low balled. Made a counter offer to nego, how long should I wait before asking for a status update?

Unregistered 08-07-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177351)
Hi, I got an offer from stat board but believe was Low balled. Made a counter offer to nego, how long should I wait before asking for a status update?

Pls dont put high hopes, likely its either u take their offer or leave it.. i have tried with SB and Ministry before. Both no room for nego, they have no short of candidates, thats y hard to nego with them majority join CS took a paycut.

Unregistered 08-07-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177364)
Pls dont put high hopes, likely its either u take their offer or leave it.. i have tried with SB and Ministry before. Both no room for nego, they have no short of candidates, thats y hard to nego with them majority join CS took a paycut.

But experienced candidate with relevant working exp getting offered fresh grad pay?