Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-10-2023 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloip (Post 258966)
But student leadership can be tiring? How about less taxing committes that still are visible?

you want to climb or you don't want to climb?

I'm not saying that not wanting to climb is a bad thing. HOTs do extremely important work in schools and many HOTs don't want to climb for many valid reasons.

But if you want to climb you have to be prepared to slog.

Unregistered 26-10-2023 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloip (Post 258966)
But student leadership can be tiring? How about less taxing committes that still are visible?

want to climb then prepare to work hard..

the question you should be asking is: work until so tired then will promote or not?

Unregistered 26-10-2023 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258320)
Dilemma. Not sure if anyone can shed some light on this.

36 yo male, Geo 5, non-scholar, IP HOD. While I have been told that I am doing great, nothing concrete was ever presented to me to help me understand if I am working towards SL-ship. That is despite the fact that I have expressed my keenness in developing myself further. Perf grades have been a mixture of As and Bs over the last 8 years.

My school has never had anyone going for FHQ.

Question- which is a better choice?
1. Stay in the same school.
2. Apply for HQ posting on my own. How would that make a difference to my situation? Which division would you recommend?
3. Go to another school and take on another portfolio.
4. Try taking a scholarship for masters.

Thank you.

how many years of service?

Unregistered 26-10-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258977)
want to climb then prepare to work hard..

the question you should be asking is: work until so tired then will promote or not?

Yes totally agree. Work so hard, but get lousy boss/SL also cannot climb. Might as will just relax. Worse people more relax than you, cannot even teach properly but see them promote cause they are ‘special’. I know of someone work so long, very capable but still promote slower than others incompetent people unfortunately cause of bad ROs during their career. So perhaps a good question is how to find a good RO that will look after you.

Unregistered 26-10-2023 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258892)
Highly visible work. Student leadership, applied learning programme, ICT/EdTech committee (especially in light of recent edtech push), PD committee, or if your school has any acad taskforce, 21CC taskforce etc to do broad planning work together with the KPs.

Is cockpit/ data management considered as a visible committee?

Unregistered 26-10-2023 11:27 PM

It really all depends on school. High visibility or not just do your job well.

Unregistered 27-10-2023 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258876)
student leadership, will be involved in a lot of school events like orientation, speech day, open house

How do SLs decide who to put in student leadership?

Unregistered 27-10-2023 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259015)
How do SLs decide who to put in student leadership?

Oftentimes it's proposed by the KP, then endorsed by SLs. If you've shown yourself to be competent + the KP in charge want you, then there's a good chance the SL will allow it.

If you're really keen, can discuss with your RO and/or the IC of student leadership. If both are supportive, it's likely to go into the deployment plan.

Unregistered 27-10-2023 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258981)
Yes totally agree. Work so hard, but get lousy boss/SL also cannot climb. Might as will just relax. Worse people more relax than you, cannot even teach properly but see them promote cause they are ‘special’. I know of someone work so long, very capable but still promote slower than others incompetent people unfortunately cause of bad ROs during their career. So perhaps a good question is how to find a good RO that will look after you.

This is super true!!

Unregistered 27-10-2023 11:42 PM

What is it in student leadership that a school is looking for?
Anyone in student leadership care to share some insights and the interview process?