Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 04-07-2023 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251456)
the thing is i submitted multiple applications. same thing happened to all of them so i suspect its just a system glitch. i will definitely call one of them to ask tomorrow. and also, i submitted a few hours ago just now in the evening, they would probably have knocked off already.

and instead of sounding aggressive, i would rather you don't reply at all. thanks.

Yes there is a glitch in the system. HR sent out an email to inform those coming back from NPL and PDL and are applying for OPE that there is glitch from Day 1. From Day 2 onwards, able to submit applications but errors still appear. However, the applications are being processed in your dashboard and the parties should have received them (together with other supporting doc I believe). I know my applications were processed because some organisations eventually contacted me. All the best!

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 04-07-2023 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251466)
The salary that you guys shared are the gross amounts?

I’m at 5.3k, 14 years in service. GEO4. Covering HOD, doing a lot a lot of work, and I’m just a Dip Ed. Some years ago I had wanted to do a degree in NIE but my then P said it will not help as the system has changed, and that there won’t be adjustments but it will be more performance based.

That’s really sad.

Does this mean that you are currently a Dip Ed as highest qualification?

Maybe you clarify with your P again? Pay adjustments after emplacement from Dip Ed to Degree is still ongoing (just last year my school adjusted for one staff who completed her part time SUSS Music Education, the increase in pay was close to 1k). So emplacement from dip ed to a recognised degree, there will be a pay adjustment for sure.

Your P could be referring to how the 'system' which recognises degree as better performers with better progression, has changed, and that both degree and dip are under GEO. But pay-wise, there will definitely be a bump when you are a degree holder.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 06:03 PM

What’s the pay increment from GEO 5 to SEO 1? Is it a big bump up?

Unregistered 04-07-2023 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251447)
13 yrs, female, PGDE, GEO5 HOD, 7.6k
Don’t get it why I seem to be getting lesser than some… Been getting quite consistent A/Bs (except for default C for year of promotion and C+s during my 2 years in HQ).

If I were to compare you to the male GEO5 12 yrs, you seem to be on par.

Can't compare to a mid-career though. I myself am a mid-career GEO5, 6 yrs, 8k.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251472)
Possible the share your progression path?

It has been so long I can’t remember. This is roughly how it is-
Year 1 - GEO2
Year 2 - GEO2
Year 3 - GEO2A1
Year 4 to 6 - No pay leave
When I resumed service, there were changes to sub grades.
Year 7 - GEO2
Year 8 - GEO 2
Year 9 - GEO 3
Year 10 - GEO 3
Year 11 - GEO 4
Year 12 - GEO 4 (SH)
Year 13 - GEO 4 (Covering HOD)
Year 14 - GEO 4

Unregistered 04-07-2023 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 251522)
Does this mean that you are currently a Dip Ed as highest qualification?

Maybe you clarify with your P again? Pay adjustments after emplacement from Dip Ed to Degree is still ongoing (just last year my school adjusted for one staff who completed her part time SUSS Music Education, the increase in pay was close to 1k). So emplacement from dip ed to a recognised degree, there will be a pay adjustment for sure.

Your P could be referring to how the 'system' which recognises degree as better performers with better progression, has changed, and that both degree and dip are under GEO. But pay-wise, there will definitely be a bump when you are a degree holder.

Yes, highest qualifications - Dip Ed. I didn’t go for the degree course. Doing the same as everyone but I know the rest are getting at least 3k more. Shouldn’t have rushed into working life. When I wanted to go for the degree course, I got pregnant and priorities changed.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 07:31 PM

serious advice please

My parents are teachers, probably i will be joining them to be one too.
Which path would be better? I.e. advancement.

Path 1: local uni science degree + nie post grad diploma
Path 2: direct NIE science degree

JC2 student

Unregistered 04-07-2023 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251550)

JC2 student

Mid career...

Unregistered 04-07-2023 07:38 PM

Quote:

JC2 student

Take path 1 if you are truely passionate. Exit opportunities are such as tuition.
Take path 2 if you are sponsored, its going to be extra cost since both road leads to rome.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

JC2 student

Agree with the other post - mid-career

Told my nephew the same thing. He wanted to join teaching immediately after graduating. I told him not to. So he worked in private sector for 6 years then he applied for teaching.

Compared him to the teacher (his friend) who graduated the same time he did but went straight into teaching, which means same number of years of working experience, he commands a higher salary just because he is a mid-career teacher. Got promoted quite fast too.