Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 24-06-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250523)
OP here, no it does not allowance or FLP as mentioned earlier. Some stroke of luck from negotiating salary with my officer

Your choice of words made me laugh out loud.

But just like how teachers allow their students to rephrase themselves or try again...

Do you perhaps refer to your performance grade? You voiced out to your RO and volunteered for more opportunities so that you can get a better grade?

Or was it for some other salary component we're not aware of? :)

Unregistered 24-06-2023 08:46 PM

Sounds like just a bunch of salty MOE teachers grieving of their miserable compensation. Quit the industry la if you have what it takes, if not then dun complain so much

Unregistered 25-06-2023 01:55 AM

Went to check my Form 8E (which used to be sent to my email). Have been getting above $100K since 4th year in service (CONNECT PLAN year). Though my 5th year got less than my 4th, it was still above $100K

Male with FCH
Consistently getting B (so about 16.5 months of salary per year with all bonuses included)
GEO4 from the 4th year in service

So it’s not impossible to be getting $100K at 30 years old given that the salary now is even higher than before. (I have already collected 3 CONNECT PLAN payouts)

Unregistered 25-06-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250537)
Went to check my Form 8E (which used to be sent to my email). Have been getting above $100K since 4th year in service (CONNECT PLAN year). Though my 5th year got less than my 4th, it was still above $100K

Male with FCH
Consistently getting B (so about 16.5 months of salary per year with all bonuses included)
GEO4 from the 4th year in service

So it’s not impossible to be getting $100K at 30 years old given that the salary now is even higher than before. (I have already collected 3 CONNECT PLAN payouts)

i'm a bit confused because i thought connect plan payouts only occur every 3 to 4 years...but u collected 3 times liao??

did u mean that u collected 3 years accumulated (1st payout)?

Unregistered 25-06-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250542)
i'm a bit confused because i thought connect plan payouts only occur every 3 to 4 years...but u collected 3 times liao??

Currently 8 years in the service, male and recently turned GEO3. Been receiving above-average performance grade throughout (all-in bonus at least 4 months, and I rmb one year it was around 5+ months). Broke through the 100k around 2-3 years back. It is definitely not impossible to reach 100k in total compensation (not including CONNECT) at the age of 30.

Unregistered 25-06-2023 01:29 PM

To hit 100k without connect plan, assuming 16 month package (13th month, 1 month variable bonus, 2 months PB which is very generous, given that C grade is around 1.5 only), this will require a monthly pay of $6250.

Promotion increment is around 10% only. Annual increment is around 2-5%.

Unless you are scholar, or somehow very stellar performance, can get Bs and As every year and promote like clockwork, and the economy performs well all the time, it is very unlikely for a guy to hit 100k by 30.
At 30, the people who can start work the earliest are the NIE degree batch, who graduate at 25. They can clock 5 years of work experience.

Those who need to go through pgde, can only commence work at 26, 27 (depending on how long they have to do contract teaching). At 30, they would only have 3-4 years of experience, barely completing their bonds.

Those from poly backgrounds can add an additional year.

Furthermore, excluding the salary revision last year, the annual merit increments and promotional increment, and also pb quantums, have been cut the previous 3 years between 2020-2022. Which means even if you can promote quickly, the increase in salary is lower than the pre-covid cohorts.

Also, slowdown in promotion pace also means that salary growth is slower.

All in all, 100k without connect plan by 30 for male is extremely unlikely, unless there are other salary components which are not disclosed

Unregistered 25-06-2023 01:30 PM

Technically possible, but extremely unrealistic.

To hit 100k without connect plan, assuming 16 month package (13th month, 1 month variable bonus, 2 months PB which is very generous, given that C grade is around 1.5 only), this will require a monthly pay of $6250.

Promotion increment is around 10% only. Annual increment is around 2-5%.

Unless you are scholar, or somehow very stellar performance, can get Bs and As every year and promote like clockwork, and the economy performs well all the time, it is very unlikely for a guy to hit 100k by 30.
At 30, the people who can start work the earliest are the NIE degree batch, who graduate at 25. They can clock 5 years of work experience.

Those who need to go through pgde, can only commence work at 26, 27 (depending on how long they have to do contract teaching). At 30, they would only have 3-4 years of experience, barely completing their bonds.

Those from poly backgrounds can add an additional year.

Furthermore, excluding the salary revision last year, the annual merit increments and promotional increment, and also pb quantums, have been cut the previous 3 years between 2020-2022. Which means even if you can promote quickly, the increase in salary is lower than the pre-covid cohorts.

Also, slowdown in promotion pace also means that salary growth is slower.

All in all, 100k without connect plan by 30 for male is extremely unlikely, unless there are other salary components which are not disclosed

Unregistered 25-06-2023 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250542)

I believe he met the payout in the 4th year, 7th year and the 10th year

Unregistered 25-06-2023 01:36 PM

Anyone here has gone for MOE Postgraduate scholarship before? Are there restrictions on the masters which you can take? Thinking of applying for it. Not a scholar currently so will that affect my chances? (Male 32yr GEO 5 here)

Unregistered 25-06-2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250515)
100k p.a. TC is not enough for an only child who is married with kids but at the same time is also the sole source of retirement income for both of his elderly parents. It is enough to cope with current CoL, but it will not provide retirement adequacy as savings and investments are not as much.

The median income is a very misleading figure, and ignorant people like to throw it around to downplay real problems. Just because the lower half of income earners are earning less than that, doesn't mean that the upper half never face any difficulties.

Think before you judge and fart out of your mouth.

Its between 150- 200k TC per couple! This is the general range of a couple in the early 30s who are both teachers. Why are you only assuming a single income household, when the OP was about a teacher couple.

Not enough retirement income? Lol, please do the maths when it comes to just cpf savings please. And then add on the savings from take home income. That's more than enough to cover the needs of retirement. It's just that people are just dooming instead of admitting that they're bad with money.