Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-06-2023 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250560)
Salaries taken from smartwealth.sg.

Median salary by Age range - for a male in their 30s, median salary including employer contribution is between $ 5850 - 7020. Most teachers in that age range would comfortably fit within that range. Iofcourse, this does not differentiate by education.

Now if we look at a breakdown by profession, the same website puts median professional salary
as $7722. Now this would definitely be skewed by professionals in their 40s and 50s who skew the Median upwards.

So, looking at those 2 numbers, in what world can we say that a teacher in their 30s is earning below median income? I've brought some stats to make my case. For those who insist that teachers are underpaid, what do you have other than 'trust me bro'

[s://cdn-blog.seedly.sg/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/10140442/Median-Monthly-Income-By-Occupation-in-Singapore_-Here-is-What-People-in-These-Roles-Are-Earning-1-1024x538.png[/

Unregistered 26-06-2023 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250636)
Year 3 GEO3 here. Clicked apply for SH and HOD roles in workpal just to test the system. For SH/ST roles, the error message was “subgrade does not meet minimum requirements” while for HOD, it is simply “you do not meet the minimum criteria for this position.” Based on this, I can assume my CEP is probably SEO1. Can use this to check your CEP

Smart. You know the system. Usually, it’s really difficult to have CEP of SEO2 and above until you are given some role. Or unless you are a high flyer scholar.

Unregistered 27-06-2023 12:53 AM

Fajt

Hello,

I am thinking about converting to an FAJT from full time MOE teacher but have questions I hope some can help out with.

I hear that FAJTs work the hours from start to end of school curriculum time i.e 6.5h, and are paid per hour. I also hear that the rates differ after the first hour for some reason. Then There are other pieces of info adding to the confusion.

- What is the difference in rates paid to a GEO 4 ($6000) vs a GEO 5 ($6000)?
- Can one apply for FAJT while in service?
- What is the typical length of a FAJT contract?

Thank you in advance!

Unregistered 27-06-2023 06:23 AM

Quote:

Year 3 GEO3 here. Clicked apply for SH and HOD roles in workpal just to test the system. For SH/ST roles, the error message was “subgrade does not meet minimum requirements” while for HOD, it is simply “you do not meet the minimum criteria for this position.” Based on this, I can assume my CEP is probably SEO1. Can use this to check your CEP

Lol it just means that you do not meet the min requirements to apply for leadership positions. Need at least to be geo4. Nothing to do with your CEP. Anyway most teachers' cep is geo5

Unregistered 27-06-2023 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250644)
Smart. You know the system. Usually, it’s really difficult to have CEP of SEO2 and above until you are given some role. Or unless you are a high flyer scholar.

People are still spreading this misinformation about checking your own CEP? Wow..

Unregistered 27-06-2023 12:28 PM

Quote:

Possibly, but not always the case. There are other data fields coded into HRP that constitute minimum criteria for applying to a certain level of appointment. For example, factors like years in service, time in grade or perf grade history may or may not also affect one's eligibility for certain things.

This method is only a way of determining whether one is eligible or not, but it is not a reliable way of determining CEP.

Unregistered 27-06-2023 07:15 PM

Anyone knows if work-life balance is better for teachers in international schools (eg HC intl/SAIS/GESS/UWCSEA/SJII/CIS)? I can imagine there might be a bit less focus on academic achievement (?) maybe there’s less pressure on teachers to produce results there?

Unregistered 27-06-2023 08:02 PM

Question about CONNECT plan. I am due to receive my connect at the end of next ar (Dec 2024).However I was given a D grade in 2020 which was my full year of teaching. Till now, I am still GEO2 and P says I am due for promotion next year. (was supposed to be 2021). My question is, will my D grade obtained in 2020 affect connect payout? Will I still get it at the end of year 4?

Unregistered 27-06-2023 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250693)
Question about CONNECT plan. I am due to receive my connect at the end of next ar (Dec 2024).However I was given a D grade in 2020 which was my full year of teaching. Till now, I am still GEO2 and P says I am due for promotion next year. (was supposed to be 2021). My question is, will my D grade obtained in 2020 affect connect payout? Will I still get it at the end of year 4?

If you got D grade that year, you would not have received the CONNECT deposit for that year (only). This means that the total balance in your CONNECT account will be lower than that of your peers who did not receive any D grades.

You will still receive your year 4 payout as long as you don't get another adverse grade.

The total sum of money paid out over the 30 years of your CONNECT plan will be lower (by one year's worth of deposit) than that of your peers who did not receive any D grades.

Unregistered 28-06-2023 10:10 AM

Will the principle be notified of your open posting application upon your application to a school or only when being offered by the school?