Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

gypsy 16-11-2023 07:43 AM

Closed Posting

Hi hi,

When will the closed posting results be out?

:)

Unregistered 16-11-2023 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260475)
RO makes a lot of difference. Two of us joined the service the same time, same gender, same school. She has an RO who fought for her. Received a C, C+, C+ and a B and got promoted to GEO4. Me on the other hand has been a straight B since day 1 with an RO who is known to not be bothered to fight for her JHs. Five Bs later and I'm still GEO3. Sigh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260510)
Your CEP is lower.

This is rather interesting and strange...does this mean that actually the number of As and Bs do not matter in order to promote?

Does it also mean someone can get 5 Cs and still get promoted?

Unregistered 16-11-2023 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260543)
This is rather interesting and strange...does this mean that actually the number of As and Bs do not matter in order to promote?

The official promotion criterion is: demonstrating the ability to meet the expectations at the next higher subgrade. NOT: many As, many Bs.

Indirectly this also means that it is tied to CEP (or whatever CEP will become), because CEP is an estimate of potential to perform in a certain appointment at a certain subgrade.

Promotion criteria has nothing to do with performance grades, which are appraisals of work done in a single year. Strong performance grades only correlate with fast promotions because people with high potential tend to also get strong performance grades.

Unregistered 16-11-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260543)

Lots of As and Bs are useless for speeding up promotion if they do not also come along with a CEP review.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260475)
RO makes a lot of difference. Two of us joined the service the same time, same gender, same school. She has an RO who fought for her. Received a C, C+, C+ and a B and got promoted to GEO4. Me on the other hand has been a straight B since day 1 with an RO who is known to not be bothered to fight for her JHs. Five Bs later and I'm still GEO3. Sigh

This is a myth lol that is circulated among teachers. ROs and even SLs have little control over promotions as it’s centrally decided by HR using a deterministic algorithm. What the panel can do is to raise CEP to accelerate promotions.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 05:32 PM

Hi all. I’m currently a KP/SH serving my secondment which will end in end 2025 (2 years time). I’ve been told by my SL that I will be going for FHQ posting at the end of the secondment stint.

I am currently also contemplating doing post-grad under the post-grad scholarship/award scheme. And is deliberating if I should time it at the end of my secondment, and then go for FHQ thereafter. Which would be better? Tbh, I am still exploring what to study.

Here’s my career progression till date -

2019: fresh from PGDE - GEO2 C
2020: GEO3 C+
2021: GEO3 B (coordinator)
2022: GEO3 A (acting SH)
2023: GEO4 B (SH)

Would appreciate any guidance on how I should plan my career forward! Thanks :)

Unregistered 17-11-2023 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260638)
Hi all. I’m currently a KP/SH serving my secondment which will end in end 2025 (2 years time). I’ve been told by my SL that I will be going for FHQ posting at the end of the secondment stint.

I am currently also contemplating doing post-grad under the post-grad scholarship/award scheme. And is deliberating if I should time it at the end of my secondment, and then go for FHQ thereafter. Which would be better? Tbh, I am still exploring what to study.

Here’s my career progression till date -

2019: fresh from PGDE - GEO2 C
2020: GEO3 C+
2021: GEO3 B (coordinator)
2022: GEO3 A (acting SH)
2023: GEO4 B (SH)

Would appreciate any guidance on how I should plan my career forward! Thanks :)

If you are offered FHQ, go for it. During your facilitated HQ stint, you will be given stretch assignments and your career will be actively shaped for progression. That door opens for few, so I wouldn't close it if I were you.

By contrast, do you have clarity on the purpose of going for postgrad studies? It is unlikely to be of much help in terms of progression within MOE.

That said, you know your goals best, so decide based on what works for you.

Unregistered 17-11-2023 11:03 PM

If there is any MOE HR personnel here, kindly ensure that the spirit behind Eat with Family Day is understood and enacted in schools. Many teachers are resigning to become FAJT because the so-called basic care and respect in schools are really non existent.

Despite the fact that today is Eat with Family Day, the HOD still what app in the group chat at 6pm. The irony is the SLs had just reiterated the rules of communication during Contact Time. The content of the message is not important and urgent. If an email were to be sent out during the weekend and no immediate action is needed, what is the purpose of texting in a group chat? To remind passive-aggressively? The biggest joke is the HOD had never email anything after the meetings or even internal marking exercise throughout the year, and an email on the last day of the school year is that important? This HOD is also a constant MOE award winner. A sneak preview of 2024 plans and inviting suggestions/ideas from people can hold till next week. So why the need to comm in a whats app chat group. Why are these type of KPs so highly regarded and is there fairness in this system? This is also a HOD who has placed learning journey on the last day of the previous term. Well, perhaps the activity had ended at 4.30pm on a safe note but teachers on the ground really felt "squeezed" to no "juice" left. A mesaage to mention that there was no better alternative dates could be communicated at her side and this would perhaps soften people's heart. Seriously no emotional intelligence at all.

Unregistered 18-11-2023 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260679)
If there is any MOE HR personnel here, kindly ensure that the spirit behind Eat with Family Day is understood and enacted in schools. Many teachers are resigning to become FAJT because the so-called basic care and respect in schools are really non existent.

Despite the fact that today is Eat with Family Day, the HOD still what app in the group chat at 6pm. The irony is the SLs had just reiterated the rules of communication during Contact Time. The content of the message is not important and urgent. If an email were to be sent out during the weekend and no immediate action is needed, what is the purpose of texting in a group chat? To remind passive-aggressively? The biggest joke is the HOD had never email anything after the meetings or even internal marking exercise throughout the year, and an email on the last day of the school year is that important? This HOD is also a constant MOE award winner. A sneak preview of 2024 plans and inviting suggestions/ideas from people can hold till next week. So why the need to comm in a whats app chat group. Why are these type of KPs so highly regarded and is there fairness in this system? This is also a HOD who has placed learning journey on the last day of the previous term. Well, perhaps the activity had ended at 4.30pm on a safe note but teachers on the ground really felt "squeezed" to no "juice" left. A mesaage to mention that there was no better alternative dates could be communicated at her side and this would perhaps soften people's heart. Seriously no emotional intelligence at all.

Have you feedbacked to your school leaders?

Unregistered 18-11-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260693)
Have you feedbacked to your school leaders?

im quite curious as to whether feedback is really effectively acted upon by KPs and SLs in most schools, or if feedback is just being collected just for the sake for showing that "work is being done" haha

and if SLs have the same work style, or brush this off as a trivial matter, or just wish to cover this person...would the feedback even be useful?