Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-05-2023 06:34 PM

Advice from teachers regarding maternity and posting placement.

Hi all,

I am currently on 1 year NPL and just found out that I'm pregnant. Estimated due date is around 1 Jan 2024. I was hoping to return to service in 2024. What are the odds that schools would take me in even though I would most probably start maternity leave the moment I return to service?

If I negotiate to split up my ML and EML instead of taking whole block, would the school take it into consideration? Haha or I have to take another year of NPL😅

Thanks in advance for any advice:)

A Pri music teacher.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248436)
There's only mcare or resignation.

Since when is feedback from the bottom ever listened to?

looking at this and recent posts... everyone seems to be facing the exact same challenges...

everyone already knows what replies or responses to expect when giving feedback through official channels

even town hall replies are template answers lol

to go public and be heard, have to use social media and the gahmen will immediately panick and act

Unregistered 19-05-2023 08:03 PM

Well

If not happy, just leave.

But then the salary and bonus are good, most people will not be leaving regardless.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248522)
Anybody hear rumours abt possible news from HR regarding middle managers in schools?

What rumours?

Unregistered 19-05-2023 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248578)
If not happy, just leave.

But then the salary and bonus are good, most people will not be leaving regardless.

The compensation is not as good as before (relative to the cost of living).

And the turnover rate of the younger officers at G3 and 4 is much higher than the other officers.

All can be easily seen from statistics.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 10:17 PM

Cep

What does it mean to have a CEP of SEO 3? What is the highest position a SEO 3 can hold?

Unregistered 19-05-2023 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248588)
What does it mean to have a CEP of SEO 3? What is the highest position a SEO 3 can hold?

SEO3 up to VP.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248587)
The compensation is not as good as before (relative to the cost of living).

And the turnover rate of the younger officers at G3 and 4 is much higher than the other officers.

All can be easily seen from statistics.

Current trend among the younger workers is to jump, jump, jump. Each jump is a 10-20% raise. The public service is just one of the many employers out there, and these people have options. With reduced recruitment, almost everyone is a scholar nowadays.

Comparing with their friends within the wider public service and in the private sector,. Why stay for a measly 2-3% annual increment if they can follow their friends, jump around for 20% raises every couple of years? I have seen a few math teachers successfully hopping into data scientist or analyst roles in banks and MNCs after finishing their bonds.

Unregistered 19-05-2023 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248581)
What rumours?

Rotation rumours

Unregistered 19-05-2023 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 248535)
Yup, agree with how things are becoming more and more unsustainable. The ones who are left are the older teachers or the management team that believe in ideas planted into their heads - such that every child is not at fault, we should try our best to support them at the expense of ourselves, every child is intrinsically motivated, teachers should always understand the child, parents are always right. Only in LKY era will we get someone who is candid and unabashedly honest to tell parents or people to quit their demanding or hurtful behaviours.

Things cannot change with a fixed mindset. I get that we have to set principles to work on and base decisions on it, but some ideas need to evolve with times or we are ending up with students like America who would bring guns to school.

well-said! It's already happening, just instead of guns, they bring axes.