Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-04-2023 06:30 PM

Hello appreciate advice here

2014 - GEO 3
2018 - GEO 4
2022 - GEO 5

Should I change school for leadership opportunities? Despite being GEO 5 for a year and expressing desire to take on leadership roles, my RO hasn't provided any concrete suggestions on how this is possible for me.

But I'm also concerned that such opportunities may mean going down to pri school. Don't think I'm cut out to teach pri sch.

Unregistered 10-04-2023 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245883)
But I'm also concerned that such opportunities may mean going down to pri school. Don't think I'm cut out to teach pri sch.

Excuse the slightly below-belt expression, but this is a very "low CEP" thing to say. I mean, as a Sec trained teacher myself, I completely understand what you mean. It's a different ball game. But this is not the kind of perspective that MOE values.

Even for Hi-Po officers, MOE grooms them with a focus on having the mindset and attitude to take on challenges presented by organisational needs. An FLP officer, for instance, who closes his mind completely to the idea of cross-deployment or joining a higher needs school under Enhanced Posting Support is going to ruffle some feathers.

I'm a HOT so idgaf. But if you want opportunities you have to show that you are open to meeting the org needs as well.

Unregistered 10-04-2023 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245883)
Hello appreciate advice here

2014 - GEO 3
2018 - GEO 4
2022 - GEO 5

Should I change school for leadership opportunities? Despite being GEO 5 for a year and expressing desire to take on leadership roles, my RO hasn't provided any concrete suggestions on how this is possible for me.

u are living in a bubble . characteristic of low cep . u hv a super concrete value add - what can u do that others can’t? other sec schools hv ppl wait until for leadership opportunities too too.

Unregistered 10-04-2023 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245906)
u are living in a bubble . characteristic of low cep . u hv a super concrete value add - what can u do that others can’t? other sec schools hv ppl wait until for leadership opportunities too too.

low cep people also put spaces before their full stop . can you punctuate your sentences properly . thank

Unregistered 10-04-2023 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245908)
low cep people also put spaces before their full stop . can you punctuate your sentences properly . thank

ur punctuation isn’t much better

Unregistered 10-04-2023 10:04 PM

Lotsa fools in this industry

Unregistered 10-04-2023 10:12 PM

How can teachers convert to MX? Change to which ministry? Such requests are subjected to HR & P’s approval? Anyone has done that?

Unregistered 11-04-2023 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245917)
How can teachers convert to MX? Change to which ministry? Such requests are subjected to HR & P’s approval? Anyone has done that?

no one owes you a living. it’s like finding a normal job. the only difference is you are already a civil servant, so instead of resigning n rejoining they transfer you.

U hv a lot to learn and the real world outside of teaching . u want to be mx go learn fast. i am guessing u teach in a primary school where teachers follow instruction to the teeth. fyi, i have seeen primary school KPs fail even in hq cuz they are awaiting exact instructions.

what i am alluding to? the fact that ur P in the larger scheme of things. He/she executes directions set by hq . ur P has no power to do anything whatsoever like prevent transfer to another ministry. anyways ministry hr know they are all part of the broader civil service are not supposed to make live hard for one another .

Unregistered 11-04-2023 12:35 AM

Can advice on Special eo payment? $700 is for geo 5 onwards?

Unregistered 11-04-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245860)
2nd upp hons PGDE, first career, male with ns

2017 NIE $3800 (GEO 2 Untrained)
2018 NIE $4200
2019 $4800 (GEO 3)
2020 $5020 (C 1.5mth)
2021 $5140 (C)
2022 $5230 (C) - $5740 (salary revision)
2023 $5960 (B 2.25mth), not promoted

just sharing for info and discussion

Wow, guys with NS really get more in teaching.

Can’t remember the exact progression but with a 2nd Upper Hons (NTU/NIE), my pay started at $3k-$3.3k in 2007.

By the time I left the service in 2017, my pay was $6100 with 2 promos and probably a pay revision for teachers.