Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 11-04-2023 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245886)
Excuse the slightly below-belt expression, but this is a very "low CEP" thing to say. I mean, as a Sec trained teacher myself, I completely understand what you mean. It's a different ball game. But this is not the kind of perspective that MOE values.

Even for Hi-Po officers, MOE grooms them with a focus on having the mindset and attitude to take on challenges presented by organisational needs. An FLP officer, for instance, who closes his mind completely to the idea of cross-deployment or joining a higher needs school under Enhanced Posting Support is going to ruffle some feathers.

I'm a HOT so idgaf. But if you want opportunities you have to show that you are open to meeting the org needs as well.

Hey thanks for giving your honest view. I appreciate it. I understand where you're coming from. But based on the drop out rate for cross deployment, there's a chance that I might be one of that unfortunate statistics. Ah, it's the peril of giving up stability for new opportunities if there are any out there.

Unregistered 11-04-2023 02:49 PM

Flp

Does seconded teachers in independent schools have the chance of being identified for FLP during their secondment?

Unregistered 11-04-2023 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245962)
Does seconded teachers in independent schools have the chance of being identified for FLP during their secondment?

Short answer is yes, since you are an EO on MOE estab. It may help if you were a consistent good performer before your secondment (in addition to being a good performer now, of course).

Long answer is... don't think so much. You really cannot do anything to control it. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Remember that FLP is not a pre-requisite for taking up higher appointment in MOE, and neither do all FLP officers take up high appointment in the end.

Unregistered 11-04-2023 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245929)
Wow, guys with NS really get more in teaching.

Can’t remember the exact progression but with a 2nd Upper Hons (NTU/NIE), my pay started at $3k-$3.3k in 2007.

By the time I left the service in 2017, my pay was $6100 with 2 promos and probably a pay revision for teachers.

That progression is quite normal these days.

Between 2007 and 2017, progression is even faster. And I'm sure cost of living isn't as high as today (or in future).

Would rather be a female like you during that era. Cost of living was cheaper and promotions were sooner. Females today probably only have a slightly higher salary, but that extra (or even more) is cancelled out by the huge rise in the cost of living. Not worth it.

Unregistered 11-04-2023 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245929)
Wow, guys with NS really get more in teaching.

Can’t remember the exact progression but with a 2nd Upper Hons (NTU/NIE), my pay started at $3k-$3.3k in 2007.

By the time I left the service in 2017, my pay was $6100 with 2 promos and probably a pay revision for teachers.

I hpe u are not a complaining female. Because if u are i would just say u were free to join NS too.

Unregistered 11-04-2023 07:42 PM

How are National Day award recipients in MOE identified? Whats the criteri

Unregistered 11-04-2023 09:26 PM

Geo 5a

Anybody know of someone promoted to GEO 5A and can share on age portfolio etc?

Unregistered 11-04-2023 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245975)
Short answer is yes, since you are an EO on MOE estab. It may help if you were a consistent good performer before your secondment (in addition to being a good performer now, of course).

Long answer is... don't think so much. You really cannot do anything to control it. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Remember that FLP is not a pre-requisite for taking up higher appointment in MOE, and neither do all FLP officers take up high appointment in the end.

Can I ask why FLP is deemed such a big deal then? Since it’s not actually a requirement to attain certain positions?

Unregistered 12-04-2023 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 246013)
Can I ask why FLP is deemed such a big deal then? Since it’s not actually a requirement to attain certain positions?

Similar to having been a scholar - more opportunities are provided. Probably a higher likelihood of attaining certain positions. But just as there are non-scholar principals, there are also non-FLP principals etc.

Unregistered 12-04-2023 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 246020)
Similar to having been a scholar - more opportunities are provided. Probably a higher likelihood of attaining certain positions. But just as there are non-scholar principals, there are also non-FLP principals etc.

The factor is the age when the person becomes principal.

The non-scholar principal is most likely only hitting principal post close to retirement, while for the scholar, it is just the beginning to even more senior leadership position. Future supt or even dge.