Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 06-04-2023 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245355)
There has never been an 800k bto. The max was 737k. And that is BEFORE subsidies. This all boils down to expectations. Should a teacher couple 2-3 years working really think that they're in a position to get a new flat in a premium area? Too atas to stay in a normal area like the rest of peasants is it.

LOL do you even realise what you are saying?

HDB flat is ATAS? Dude, many older gen living in your so-called "premium" areas are far less financially well off than some early career people, including teachers. The only difference is that they were born earlier.

It's only premium because of irresponsible asset appreciation policies, not because they were wealthy back then and we are poor (or undeserving, as you seem to suggest) today.

Unregistered 06-04-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245361)
Not sure…..
I was in GEO 3 for 2y only
But stuck in Geo 4 for 8years.
Maybe really slowing down for newer teachers :(

But people around my batch / time ALL Geo 4/5 - really will be stuck for the next 10years since I think SEO is even harder to get??? 😥

Same same. I got my 5 after 8 years as 4. Somemore changed schools twice. non-KP.

Unregistered 06-04-2023 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245381)
Same same. I got my 5 after 8 years as 4. Somemore changed schools twice. non-KP.

did u get good PB?

Unregistered 06-04-2023 11:00 AM

Future Leaders Program

Hi Has anyone been part of the Future Leaders Program? Is it worth participating? Appreciate your input. Thank you so much!

Unregistered 06-04-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245389)
Hi Has anyone been part of the Future Leaders Program? Is it worth participating? Appreciate your input. Thank you so much!

Yes, I did and enjoyed it very much. However, please note that if you are invited to join FLP, it’s a privilege, not an entitlement. It means you are earmarked to be groomed as a School Leader or take up leadership positions in the other tracks in the next 10yrs. So whether it’s “worth participating” or not, depends on your career aspirations.

Unregistered 06-04-2023 11:22 AM

Thank you for your input. It is heartening to know that you enjoyed the experience. Did it require a lot of time away from work? Just wondering. Thanks again

Unregistered 06-04-2023 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245383)
did u get good PB?

If by MOE's definition of a C = good, then yes. No As or Bs but no Ds either. Average joe

Unregistered 06-04-2023 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245381)

Its really fascinating looking at how different the experiences of teachers here and my school are. It seems like people are hitting their GEO5s after 4-5 years of Geo4 with all that taking between 10-12 years. Is it the case that promotion is faster in a jc?I've not heard anyone complain or much talk about not getting promoted after a long time. And we're all pretty open with our grades.

Unregistered 06-04-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245413)
Its really fascinating looking at how different the experiences of teachers here and my school are. It seems like people are hitting their GEO5s after 4-5 years of Geo4 with all that taking between 10-12 years. Is it the case that promotion is faster in a jc?I've not heard anyone complain or much talk about not getting promoted after a long time. And we're all pretty open with our grades.

Back to it depends on CEP. But most JC teachers have 2nd upper hons and there many more scholars around. So in general yes and in at the least the better JCs, most KPs are not in GEO scale but SEO scale. Then again, do understand that not everyone can teach in a JC. Imagine not being able to answer a qn at a deep conceptual and theoretical level. Students loose confidence in you. In many JCs, SLs are close to student leaders and talk to them. And students can be honest. If you are crap, there is no way to defend urself.
Many JC teachers are less obtuse and understand the bigger picture. There are many HOTs who hit GEO5 in late 30s and plan to stay as that forever. Workload is kind heavy because hours are long. CCA trainings are late - same coaches circulate and they do primary and secondary school first. KP responsibilities on top of all that - many say no. But then again - for a competent teacher who can master BOTH content and padegogy, to be HOT may not be that hard la - esp if its a decent JC.

Unregistered 06-04-2023 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 245398)
Thank you for your input. It is heartening to know that you enjoyed the experience. Did it require a lot of time away from work? Just wondering. Thanks again

You received an invitation? Can share how are they identified?