Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-10-2020 08:28 PM

Software tools for teachers

Would teachers be interested in using software tool to speed up marking and provides analytics to identify student's strength and weanknesses? I saw this at Snapngrade.com. Wonder if teachers are stressed put over marking pspers and homework?

Unregistered 28-10-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148248)
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.

(a) everyone starts with a CEP of GEO5. But your first 1-2 years of ranking will be important as that's when your potential is determined.
(b) like the earlier reply, it'll take a while. For males, they get GEO3 one year after confirmation. Females, 2. For the rest, it depends on your performance and potential
(c) don't assume the school will want to groom you. You have to get the basics right first. Like teaching well, managing your form class and cca, which can be quite daunting for bts. Of course if toy show initiative and competence, your ro and sls will turn be more willing to give you greater exposure.
(d)
My advice would be to always show a positive attitude in your work. Do everything the best that you can. Focus on your tnl and basics first. Build a reputation of competence. These take time. If you are serious about being a good teacher, it will take time. Don't run before you can walk.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148248)
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.

I have personally known a number of teaching scholars both local and overseas. All quit or forced to quit after their bonds were completed.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148278)
(a) everyone starts with a CEP of GEO5. But your first 1-2 years of ranking will be important as that's when your potential is determined.
(b) like the earlier reply, it'll take a while. For males, they get GEO3 one year after confirmation. Females, 2. For the rest, it depends on your performance and potential
(c) don't assume the school will want to groom you. You have to get the basics right first. Like teaching well, managing your form class and cca, which can be quite daunting for bts. Of course if toy show initiative and competence, your ro and sls will turn be more willing to give you greater exposure.
(d)
My advice would be to always show a positive attitude in your work. Do everything the best that you can. Focus on your tnl and basics first. Build a reputation of competence. These take time. If you are serious about being a good teacher, it will take time. Don't run before you can walk.

Very good advice. I have come across teaching scholars who were very yaya papaya. Ended up, they got burnt and tio condemned and eventually left service.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148264)
Sorry ah. Mai kan chiong. You focus on getting confirmation first. In your first few years, the most important thing to do is to display a willingness to learn and the willingness to apply what you have learnt and reflect on areas for improvement.

TSL doesn't enjoy much in the way of "automatic" or "given" advantages over others. You will have to work for it.

True. Only education merit scholarship and psc scholarship are automatic and given provided thr basics are in place. Saw some CMI MOE teaching scholars and teaching awards.

The worst thing is they publicly announced that they are moe teaching scholars but cmi.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148289)
True. Only education merit scholarship and psc scholarship are automatic and given provided thr basics are in place. Saw some CMI MOE teaching scholars and teaching awards.

The worst thing is they publicly announced that they are moe teaching scholars but cmi.

What is the CEP assigned to EMS or PSC scholars? Is it smth like P6/SEO2 or much higher?

Unregistered 29-10-2020 03:07 PM

Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps :)

Unregistered 30-10-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148310)
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Allowance is only going to be enough for your personal upkeep. It was about 1k a month in my time, but today a realistic ballpark figure would be around 1.2-1.3k a month. You should be self-sufficient on the allowance since you would not have any other financial burdens related to your studies.

Nobody is going to check underneath your clothing for tattoos. If you have tattoos but they are completely hidden by your clothing, I don't see a problem.

Unregistered 30-10-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

When I was a scholarship holder a few years ago, I received an allowance of $1000 a month, together with allowance for hostel and an overseas exchange. There are some optional funds you can apply for for external/non-academic activities.

As for tattoos, i personally know of some colleagues that have tattoos who have good character/professional. If it is hidden, then it's not an issue. I doubt there will ever be a situation where you will need to expose your torso.

Unregistered 30-10-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

When I was a scholarship holder, i received $1000 a month for allowance. The schoalrship also paid for my hostel and overseas exchange. It is certainly enough for you to be independent.

I'm sure there are many teachers with tattoos who are mroally upright or have good character. That said, if your tattoos are not visible, it should not be an issue. After all, how often do we bare our torsos while teaching?

Unregistered 31-10-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148398)
When I was a scholarship holder, i received $1000 a month for allowance. The schoalrship also paid for my hostel and overseas exchange. It is certainly enough for you to be independent.

I'm sure there are many teachers with tattoos who are mroally upright or have good character. That said, if your tattoos are not visible, it should not be an issue. After all, how often do we bare our torsos while teaching?

True true.

I guess my concern was that it might affect career progression if its something that needs to be declared and the potential stigma associated by bosses

Thanks for replying btw

Unregistered 01-11-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Most of the people with tatt who I know tend to want to flaunt their artwork. If there comes a day when students or parents stumble upon such posts of yours, it will definitely raise an eyebrow. If the tatt is merely for your eyes and you don’t particular love social attention, you will be fine. I have a colleague with tatt, not obvious, but she has revealed it a few times. Of course it did become talk of the town, ok exaggerated, but nothing adverse happens.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:51 AM

Those who applied for lessened workload due to family commitments...
What do u negotiate for? Like no cca? Not sure what to expect.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:52 AM

Why do some say it take 2.5 years to promote from 3 to 4?
I have seen so many take almost 10 years to get promoted.

And no no D. Just that the promotion is slow.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148495)
Why do some say it take 2.5 years to promote from 3 to 4?
I have seen so many take almost 10 years to get promoted.

And no no D. Just that the promotion is slow.

Because it happens. But the pre-requisite is that the school must trust the geo3 officer enough to stretch their deployment a bit.

First and foremost, the school should not be left worrying about their T&L. Not 100% perfect, but already of a high standard and able to independently reflect and constantly seek self-improvement.

Then they must show ability to handle more things on their plate. Some schools test their promising geo3s by deploying them similarly to a geo4 or 5. This means double committees (including potentially 2ic of one), higher profile committees like student leadership, discipline, exams, etc., key roles in functional comms, CCA head, special programmes coordinators, sending them for cluster/zone/national sharing or to join NLCs.

And we all know that to be promoted, you must show potential to work effectively at the higher level.

In order to get the school to 'overload' a geo3, the school must trust that the young officer has his/her basics down. The basics must come automatically and with less effort compared to a BT. If they are still shaky during lesson obs, resources messy, cannot keep up with T&L responsibilities, tardy with single comm/single CCA work, then they can forget about being over-deployed with the intention of testing their readiness for promotion.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148517)
Because it happens. But the pre-requisite is that the school must trust the geo3 officer enough to stretch their deployment a bit.

First and foremost, the school should not be left worrying about their T&L. Not 100% perfect, but already of a high standard and able to independently reflect and constantly seek self-improvement.

Then they must show ability to handle more things on their plate. Some schools test their promising geo3s by deploying them similarly to a geo4 or 5. This means double committees (including potentially 2ic of one), higher profile committees like student leadership, discipline, exams, etc., key roles in functional comms, CCA head, special programmes coordinators, sending them for cluster/zone/national sharing or to join NLCs.

And we all know that to be promoted, you must show potential to work effectively at the higher level.

In order to get the school to 'overload' a geo3, the school must trust that the young officer has his/her basics down. The basics must come automatically and with less effort compared to a BT. If they are still shaky during lesson obs, resources messy, cannot keep up with T&L responsibilities, tardy with single comm/single CCA work, then they can forget about being over-deployed with the intention of testing their readiness for promotion.

Actually, who makes the decision? RO? SLs? What do they base it on? That the officer seems to be doing alright? Or CEP? Seems to be rather subjective also~

Unregistered 02-11-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Actually, who makes the decision? RO? SLs? What do they base it on? That the officer seems to be doing alright? Or CEP? Seems to be rather subjective also~

Unregistered 02-11-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148494)
Those who applied for lessened workload due to family commitments...
What do u negotiate for? Like no cca? Not sure what to expect.

This is pay cut. Depending how your school deems. Common is 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 load. But your pay also cut by 1/2, 1/3, 1/4.

Unregistered 02-11-2020 08:48 PM

This is a well written summary!

Get the T&L & TSR basics done right, and further opportunities may come!

Quote:

Unregistered 03-11-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Actually I agree with you to some extent. But in a small school where everyone is stretched to the max and everyone doing leadership roles... is difficult to tell the potential or rather to promote everyone. I knew of those who are being stretched to do leadership roles and stuff are also taking a long time to promote while some I don't know why are lucky to get promoted and maybe doing lesser than those who are given more responsibilities. And everyone's abilities are about the same.

And no all are not scholars. I've seen a colleague taking 2 years to promote and 1 took 10 years to promote. They are of the same age. Both taking leadership roles. So just wondering how they determine and what is the norm from 3 to 4.

Unregistered 03-11-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Are student grades part of the assessment criteria?

Unregistered 03-11-2020 07:08 PM

MOE Connect Plan

Hi, I am in my 4th yr with MOE. Due to receive my 1st Connect Plan in Dec. Any idea if the pay out will be together with salary on the 12th or is it at the end of the month? Alao, how do I know how much I will receive? Want to start planning ahead. TIA!

Unregistered 03-11-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148486)
Most of the people with tatt who I know tend to want to flaunt their artwork. If there comes a day when students or parents stumble upon such posts of yours, it will definitely raise an eyebrow. If the tatt is merely for your eyes and you don’t particular love social attention, you will be fine. I have a colleague with tatt, not obvious, but she has revealed it a few times. Of course it did become talk of the town, ok exaggerated, but nothing adverse happens.

I see. Thank you for the advice!

Unregistered 04-11-2020 07:53 PM

I got mine on 19 Dec last year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148589)
Hi, I am in my 4th yr with MOE. Due to receive my 1st Connect Plan in Dec. Any idea if the pay out will be together with salary on the 12th or is it at the end of the month? Alao, how do I know how much I will receive? Want to start planning ahead. TIA!

Unregistered 05-11-2020 07:32 PM

Heard from the grapevine that this year may not even have 13th month. Has that ever happened before?

Unregistered 05-11-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148698)
Heard from the grapevine that this year may not even have 13th month. Has that ever happened before?

So far we have only lost the AVC. If further cuts are to be made, they will be taken from the MVC first, and then the AWS next. So if the MVC is still intact (touch wood), the AWS will still be intact.

The likely outcome is.. no year end AVC, but the rest remains intact.

The best case scenario we can all wish for is a small lump sum payment (maybe a few hundred bucks?) in lieu of the AVC.

Unregistered 09-11-2020 11:36 AM

MOE medical checkup

Hi, I am informed that I need to attend a medical checkup by MOE. But no offer yet. Is it uncommon? Normally, companies would offer the contract before asking you to attend medical right?

Unregistered 09-11-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148838)
Hi, I am informed that I need to attend a medical checkup by MOE. But no offer yet. Is it uncommon? Normally, companies would offer the contract before asking you to attend medical right?

which position is this for?

Unregistered 10-11-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148859)
which position is this for?

Untrained teaching position

Unregistered 10-11-2020 08:19 PM

Hi everyone, what are the progression norms of different CEP for each substantive grade? E.g., if your CEP is p8, how long does it take to move from GEO3 to 4? Vs p7, P6, p5? Anyone from ranking panel or HR able to clarify?

Unregistered 10-11-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148838)

Thought question. If I have HIV upon medical check-up, the prospective employer would be under no obligation to compensate me.

Go for medical check-up first, then employ.

Unregistered 11-11-2020 09:37 AM

CAJT Application

Anyone applied for CAJT for 2021? Heard anything from the school / MOE?

Unregistered 12-11-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148921)
Hi everyone, what are the progression norms of different CEP for each substantive grade? E.g., if your CEP is p8, how long does it take to move from GEO3 to 4? Vs p7, P6, p5? Anyone from ranking panel or HR able to clarify?

There may be certain guidelines and HR may flag out officers for consideration for promotion, but the school is not rigidly bound by any norms or requirements. So knowing the guidelines is pretty much useless.

Anyway the CEP system is going to be overhauled next year.

Unregistered 12-11-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Is hentak kaki at GEO3 such a widespread serious problem? There has been a lot of discussion about people getting stuck at GEO3 for bajillions of years. Why not just change school if they don't stretch you or value your career development? Find a proper nurturing working environment, don't get shortchanged.

Unregistered 12-11-2020 09:49 PM

Is it true that moe teachers sidelining as tuition teachers is an open secret at work?

Unregistered 13-11-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149050)
Is it true that moe teachers sidelining as tuition teachers is an open secret at work?

Secret? It’s not disallowed.
Most of my friends in Sec sch have no time nor energy to give tuition... unless teaching less “heavy” subjects or really b motivated for the extra $ and they usually only have 1 or 2 max.

Friends in pri sch tend to be the ones who can give tuition.

Unregistered 13-11-2020 02:38 AM

Quote:

Who knows?
We don’t even know our own cep lol.
But logically the ones with higher cep are promoted faster so they can reach their highest grade on time (before retirement)

Unregistered 13-11-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149050)

Its an open secret. You can give tuition up to 6 hours a week. Permanent sec did mention to seek clearance from p. But most if not all won't declare.

Unregistered 13-11-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149084)
Its an open secret. You can give tuition up to 6 hours a week. Permanent sec did mention to seek clearance from p. But most if not all won't declare.

New guide to seek approval from SL even if it is one hour of tuition.

Unregistered 13-11-2020 06:25 PM

May I know how difficult it is to get an A at GEO 5 if you are a hod or Lh?