Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 01-01-2023 05:11 PM

Hi everyone, Wld like to know which are the more ‘high profile’ CCDs in school. If one is able to pull off the work in these CCDs, does that mean that this individual has the potential to be ranked higher than others in CCDs of lower profile?

Unregistered 02-01-2023 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238020)
Hi everyone, Wld like to know which are the more ‘high profile’ CCDs in school. If one is able to pull off the work in these CCDs, does that mean that this individual has the potential to be ranked higher than others in CCDs of lower profile?

Not familiar with this acronym. Do you mean CCA?

Unregistered 02-01-2023 09:38 AM

Hello! Understand that there's something called the Faciliated HQ Posting Exercise. Anyone knows how the candidates are determined? Are they usually the scholars? Or, is it due to recommendation from school? Many thanks in advance for your response.

Unregistered 02-01-2023 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238035)
Not familiar with this acronym. Do you mean CCA?

I meant committees :)

Unregistered 02-01-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

All boils down to the impact you deliver to students and/or staff.

Some committees give more opportunities to do that

Committees where you get to lead major school events to showcase your planning skills, or where you get to train staff on T&L. Helps to build your portfolio for leadership track or ST track.

Unregistered 02-01-2023 11:16 AM

What I see most teachers do is to reach HOD and teach tuition on the side for extra $.

It's not worthwhile being VP when the workload increment from HOD => VP is substantially higher than the 10 to 15% pay increment. Also, VPs are doing mgmt/administration role and will no longer do much teaching, which not all teachers may be keen on.

On the other hand, if one is aiming for principal, then best to get a masters sponsorship/scholarship + HQ posting to build your portfolio for that role.

enjayell 02-01-2023 06:12 PM

Quote:

Depends on how much impact you can make in that committee! Remember that school-wide and level-wide initiatives are appraised higher. Also, IC role in comm with fewer opportunities v.s. being an overshadowed member a high impact but saturated committee? Note also moving trends e.g. sustainability, ICT, CCE are new areas for schools to work on. Sup will be looking to see which school in the cluster can innovate in these areas.

Unregistered 04-01-2023 09:44 PM

I heard that ppl can get invitation to join HQ, is it they are very good and get selected? How to get selected? She is a non scholar.

Unregistered 04-01-2023 10:22 PM

What is an "Acting Senior Teacher". Always thought ST/LT (teaching track) is based on grade and not appointment.

Unregistered 04-01-2023 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238164)
I heard that ppl can get invitation to join HQ, is it they are very good and get selected? How to get selected? She is a non scholar.

If you constantly get 2 A grades, HQ will flag you out for possible HQ stint. Another opportunity is when you are invited for tea with Sup and you made a good impression, you may also get an invitation to HQ. Lastly, if you win those national awards like outstanding youth in education award, president award, you will also be invited to do a facilitated hq stint if you have not done one before.

Unregistered 04-01-2023 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238166)
What is an "Acting Senior Teacher". Always thought ST/LT (teaching track) is based on grade and not appointment.

No appointment is given automatically based on subgrade. In fact, you need to first be appointed to the ST position, which will happen while you are GEO4 or GEO5, and perform up to expectations (or better) for a number of years before you can be promoted to SEO1. Not the other way round.

A normal teacher without any ST or KP appointment cannot be promoted to SEO1.

This means that STs can also be internally appointed.. which is weird, but possible.

Unregistered 04-01-2023 11:10 PM

Those who were invited for FLP, how and what time of the year were you informed?

Unregistered 04-01-2023 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238172)
Those who were invited for FLP, how and what time of the year were you informed?

Just joined HQ as of Jan 2023. Was informed via email in early Dec 2021 (RO and SLs already knew some time beforehand), initial indication of interest & interviews were around Jan-Feb 2022, final posting letter was served in July 2022.

Unregistered 04-01-2023 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238176)
Just joined HQ as of Jan 2023. Was informed via email in early Dec 2021 (RO and SLs already knew some time beforehand), initial indication of interest & interviews were around Jan-Feb 2022, final posting letter was served in July 2022.

This is for FHQ posting, not FLP. Believe you are mistaken

FLP appears quite random unless you are privy to the process.. one of my JH received email informing of emplacement some time in Feb last year.

Unregistered 05-01-2023 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238176)

For those who went for FHQ, how are they determined? Will all scholars ultimately join HQ via this route and are there individuals who didn't end up in any position in HQ?

Unregistered 05-01-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238218)
For those who went for FHQ, how are they determined? Will all scholars ultimately join HQ via this route and are there individuals who didn't end up in any position in HQ?

No. Not all scholars will go to HQ. As of now, all the NIE graduates are called Teaching Scholars so these people may not all (and majority will not) go to HQ. Those who go for FHQ are those who got the psc scholars, MOE EMS scholarship and those teaching scholars (overseas). The rest will unlikely go for FHQ unless you do very well in school (get 2As), get invited to tea party and left good impression during tea party.

Unregistered 05-01-2023 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238225)
No. Not all scholars will go to HQ. As of now, all the NIE graduates are called Teaching Scholars so these people may not all (and majority will not) go to HQ. Those who go for FHQ are those who got the psc scholars, MOE EMS scholarship and those teaching scholars (overseas). The rest will unlikely go for FHQ unless you do very well in school (get 2As), get invited to tea party and left good impression during tea party.

What about those under teaching scholarship (local)? I suppose that the grades must be good too? I do have friends who are scholars but not being called to HQ yet despite 4 years of service. Or is it taking longer nowadays to be called to the HQ?

Unregistered 05-01-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238228)
What about those under teaching scholarship (local)? I suppose that the grades must be good too? I do have friends who are scholars but not being called to HQ yet despite 4 years of service. Or is it taking longer nowadays to be called to the HQ?

TSL does not enjoy guaranteed FHQ posting. It's dependent on CEP and other factors (e.g. recommendations; or the "fruits" of a tea session).

Unregistered 05-01-2023 08:31 PM

I’m so sorry but can someone enlighten me with the terms?

TSL
FHQ
FLP
?? 😅

Unregistered 05-01-2023 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238231)
I’m so sorry but can someone enlighten me with the terms?

TSL
FHQ
FLP
?? 😅

Teaching Scholar(ship) (Local)
Facilitated HQ Posting
Future Leaders Programme

Unregistered 05-01-2023 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237979)
the issue for many people is that after all the exhaustion for years, even the first to last period is already torturous enough...

hope everyone includes in your 2023 resolution to take care of your own mental health and find a better job that is less draining and has more work life balance...

Probably made worse by seeing private sector able to work from home 2-3 days a week now, while we have one day in 2 weeks.

Unregistered 05-01-2023 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238228)

Local teaching scholars, teaching awardees and nie teaching scholars all do not get FHQ. Unless they perform well (as in A grade) or get recognised during tea parties (sometimes B graders get invited for tea) or win national awards. If you get OYEA or President Award, then you will definitely go for FHQ.

Unregistered 06-01-2023 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238172)

When in NIE

Unregistered 06-01-2023 12:22 PM

Does anyone know when are we getting OCA $$ 😂

Unregistered 06-01-2023 06:07 PM

Is internal HOD as good as an Ag HOD?

Unregistered 06-01-2023 07:27 PM

I was from the 2019 pgde practicum batch and received an fhq posting last December. Is this considered fast?

Unregistered 06-01-2023 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238268)
Does anyone know when are we getting OCA $$ 😂

With your Jan paycheck

Unregistered 06-01-2023 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238291)
I was from the 2019 pgde practicum batch and received an fhq posting last December. Is this considered fast?

Are you a scholarship holder? If yes, this is normal. In fact, the psc scholars will go HQ after 2nd year in service.

Unregistered 06-01-2023 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238287)
Is internal HOD as good as an Ag HOD?

They are both the same. Just different words. Both are not officially appointed.

Unregistered 07-01-2023 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238302)
They are both the same. Just different words. Both are not officially appointed.

No.. they are not the same. “Internal” appointments occur frequently when there is not enough quota for KP. The school is waiting for a kp vacancy to be available to send the person for interview. The downside is that the “internal” KPs have no way of knowing if they will eventually be appointed (if the SLs decide to play politics). Some schools may not even be given the headcount for these extra HODs. But they play with the title to appease the appointees. “Acting” KPs are indicate that these positions are available. The “acting” KP would need to acquire experience (if it is a new portfolio for them” or they are placed under supervision and guidance to groom them for the appointment interviews. Most acting KPs should get an interview between 6 months and one year.

Unregistered 07-01-2023 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238310)
No.. they are not the same. “Internal” appointments occur frequently when there is not enough quota for KP. The school is waiting for a kp vacancy to be available to send the person for interview. The downside is that the “internal” KPs have no way of knowing if they will eventually be appointed (if the SLs decide to play politics). Some schools may not even be given the headcount for these extra HODs. But they play with the title to appease the appointees. “Acting” KPs are indicate that these positions are available. The “acting” KP would need to acquire experience (if it is a new portfolio for them” or they are placed under supervision and guidance to groom them for the appointment interviews. Most acting KPs should get an interview between 6 months and one year.

If a covering KP covered more than 5 years, what are some of the possibilities and will the post be taken off?

Unregistered 07-01-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238312)
If a covering KP covered more than 5 years, what are some of the possibilities and will the post be taken off?

Don't you think that to 'cover' for more than 1 year is already ridiculous? Much lest 5 years?

If need to cover someone, the reason is that the school is shorthanded, and awaiting replacement manpower to come in.

If need to cover for 5 years, the school management is either sleeping on the job, or taking the person for granted.

Should either officially appoint the person to take up the role, or find someone else to cover.

Unregistered 07-01-2023 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238319)
Don't you think that to 'cover' for more than 1 year is already ridiculous? Much lest 5 years?

If need to cover someone, the reason is that the school is shorthanded, and awaiting replacement manpower to come in.

If need to cover for 5 years, the school management is either sleeping on the job, or taking the person for granted.

Should either officially appoint the person to take up the role, or find someone else to cover.

Covering is rly bullsheet.

Unregistered 07-01-2023 03:51 PM

there is a chio young teacher newly posted to my school. always wear short skirt. see her gstring panty a few times already. keep cannot concentrate in class.

are teachers allowed to wear gstring to school?

Unregistered 07-01-2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238312)

5 years? Wow. Why?

Unregistered 07-01-2023 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238319)

Sample Sentence: I cover my colleague’s duty when he is on leave.

Covering just means that you are covering someone’s duties. The job is not yours. They could have found you fit for official appointment. If they haven’t, don’t get gaslit into believing they will especially when you see others going for interviews/when SLs get KPs from other schools to assume these positions. Some schools are very good at gaslighting their teachers into believing that the system is unfair etc. Most likely, the SLs are the ones take these statements from some HR circulars out of context. It was only when they went 3 more schools, I realised the HR practices were quite different. And I was conned into believing it.

Unregistered 07-01-2023 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238330)
5 years? Wow. Why?

I also want to know why, is it the school is full and no space for a kp (is there such thing?) or the person is incapable?

Unregistered 08-01-2023 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238326)
there is a chio young teacher newly posted to my school. always wear short skirt. see her gstring panty a few times already. keep cannot concentrate in class.

are teachers allowed to wear gstring to school?

Cannot. Everyday RO will do spot check.

Unregistered 08-01-2023 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238373)
Cannot. Everyday RO will do spot check.

y ro no check her?

Unregistered 08-01-2023 10:52 PM

There seem to be some new SH roles being created in recent years, like SH ECG / Student wellbeing / Partnerships etc. which didn’t seem to exist previously. Is this supposed to help create more leadership opportunities by giving schools more kp quota?