Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-12-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qoooo (Post 237704)
I have been in service for 7 years already and still stuck at Geo 3.

I decided to switch to a new school. Hopefully that would increase my chances of getting promoted

Posting exercise already confirmed successful? :)

Unregistered 26-12-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qoooo (Post 237704)
I have been in service for 7 years already and still stuck at Geo 3.

I decided to switch to a new school. Hopefully that would increase my chances of getting promoted

Why wait so long then change?

If you:
- have aspirations to climb
- have ability to climb (of course, this depends on accurate and fair appraisal..)
- are not being nurtured by your current school to climb
leave the school ASAP. Don't stay. Waste time.

If you want to climb the ladder you must start early to maximise opportunities.

Unregistered 26-12-2022 12:26 PM

If im "in line to be promoted" in apr2023, will informing my RO/P of my intention to resign mid yr/yrend affect my chances?

Qoooo 26-12-2022 12:46 PM

Hmm i stayed in my school for 7 years because i am a person who don't like change. I tried to apply for open posting 2 years ago but it was unsuccessful. I decided to leave the school(NPL) because of the toxic work environment. A total of 9 to 10 teachers left the school this year(half of them quit, the other applied for open posting). I decided to leave for the sake of my mental health.

My female colleague worked for 9 years before she was promoted to geo 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237714)

If you:
- have ability to climb (of course, this depends on accurate and fair appraisal..)

Unregistered 26-12-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237720)
If im "in line to be promoted" in apr2023, will informing my RO/P of my intention to resign mid yr/yrend affect my chances?

By right it shouldn't. But more curious about how you get this information.

enjayell 26-12-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237720)

Paperwork to HQ would already have been submitted. Unlikely to affect.

Qoooo 26-12-2022 10:37 PM

Hmm I stayed in the same school for 7 years because I am a person who does not like change.
I decided to leave this year by NPL method because the work environment was too toxic and took a toll on my health. About 9 to 10 teachers quit their job/ transferred out this year.

I don't aspire to climb the ladder and would rather stay in the teaching track.

I have a female colleague who worked for 8.5 years before she was promoted to geo 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237714)

If you:

Unregistered 27-12-2022 08:13 AM

11 year teacher checking in. Feel really burned out and thinking about quitting. But the thought of finding a job with no real job experience and most likely having to take a massive pay cut is a deterrence. Haiz, the teaching salary is a handcuff of sorts.

Unregistered 27-12-2022 08:50 AM

Take care of ya health my fellow trs

enjayell 27-12-2022 09:27 AM

Created a Telegram Group Chat where we can support one another better. Feel free to join and we can see where we where this will go.

https://t.me/+AV47mPSglrE4YjQ1

Unregistered 27-12-2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237737)
11 year teacher checking in. Feel really burned out and thinking about quitting. But the thought of finding a job with no real job experience and most likely having to take a massive pay cut is a deterrence. Haiz, the teaching salary is a handcuff of sorts.

The pay cut is real unless you go for tuition job. However, try to apply for HQ or cross ministry work during OPE and gain some experience. After that, you can try to hop easier.

Unregistered 27-12-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Agree with the above commenter that you can explore work in other areas of the civil service. Your experience as a teacher will mean that the civil service culture won't be a huge culture shock to you wherever you go (although still need to deal with bureaucracy and red tape la..) You can go to HRP and browse the "Internal Job Search" listings. Converting to certain schemes may still lead to a small pay cut, but it won't be as drastic as starting out afresh outside.

Unregistered 27-12-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qoooo (Post 237732)
Hmm I stayed in the same school for 7 years because I am a person who does not like change.
I decided to leave this year by NPL method because the work environment was too toxic and took a toll on my health. About 9 to 10 teachers quit their job/ transferred out this year.

I don't aspire to climb the ladder and would rather stay in the teaching track.

I have a female colleague who worked for 8.5 years before she was promoted to geo 4.

By taking care of your own health, you and your colleagues have done the right thing. Don't torture yourself by staying.

As for taking longer to promote...I'm sure it's very common these days already. So if you're looking for greater growth, try to hop to somewhere with better work life balance.

By the way, NPL helps? I thought you'll still be stuck in the same place when it ends?

Unregistered 27-12-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237745)
Agree with the above commenter that you can explore work in other areas of the civil service. Your experience as a teacher will mean that the civil service culture won't be a huge culture shock to you wherever you go (although still need to deal with bureaucracy and red tape la..) You can go to HRP and browse the "Internal Job Search" listings. Converting to certain schemes may still lead to a small pay cut, but it won't be as drastic as starting out afresh outside.

does this only apply for between ministries, or does it also include transfers to stat boards

Unregistered 27-12-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Upskill yourself, go for work attachment (take advantage of that)

Changing job doesn't necessarily need to take a steep paycut

Unregistered 27-12-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237742)
The pay cut is real unless you go for tuition job. However, try to apply for HQ or cross ministry work during OPE and gain some experience. After that, you can try to hop easier.

I wouldn't suggest going to HQ for a person who's already feeling burnt out. That would just make it worse.

Unregistered 27-12-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237755)
I wouldn't suggest going to HQ for a person who's already feeling burnt out. That would just make it worse.

Second this. A lot of teachers in school have the perception that HQ = office job = easier than school. Sorely mistaken. HQ officers are worked to the bone as well, just in a different way than in school.

Unregistered 27-12-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237767)
Second this. A lot of teachers in school have the perception that HQ = office job = easier than school. Sorely mistaken. HQ officers are worked to the bone as well, just in a different way than in school.

Really? I had a very different experience in HQ. Work is always done ONLY during office hours and there is no such thing as OT. Also, you get regular lunch break. Furthermore, you’ll get lots of opportunities to go for PD in HQ. I find this a very balanced work life. The only difference is that the environment is more competitive because everyone is a good performer but the work isn’t more difficult than school or rather not more tedious than in sch. Also, no such thing as working on weekends. If u work OT or on weekend, u will get compensated with time off. So, why is HQ not better than schools?

Unregistered 27-12-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237768)
Really? I had a very different experience in HQ. Work is always done ONLY during office hours and there is no such thing as OT. Also, you get regular lunch break. Furthermore, you’ll get lots of opportunities to go for PD in HQ. I find this a very balanced work life. The only difference is that the environment is more competitive because everyone is a good performer but the work isn’t more difficult than school or rather not more tedious than in sch. Also, no such thing as working on weekends. If u work OT or on weekend, u will get compensated with time off. So, why is HQ not better than schools?

Which division were you in?

Unregistered 27-12-2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237768)

You're right, but the previous commenter is also right. There is a large diversity in HQ experiences. You could be in a branch that brings out the best in you through respecting your needs, your work-life boundaries, your working style and your pace of growth. You could also be in a branch that is full of chiongsters that perpetuate a specific culture and make you feel left behind if you aren't married to your job and wear it like a badge of honour.

coughcoughHigherEdcough

Unregistered 28-12-2022 04:14 PM

Hi is it possible to apply for SRE/Flexi adjunct while serving notice?

Unregistered 31-12-2022 12:56 AM

Should a GEO3 TSL consider pursuing masters or try for HQ posting for faster progression? Does masters help?

Unregistered 31-12-2022 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237954)
Should a GEO3 TSL consider pursuing masters or try for HQ posting for faster progression? Does masters help?

HQ posting is more useful.

Masters more for personal achievement

enjayell 31-12-2022 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237956)
HQ posting is more useful.

Masters more for personal achievement

i second this opinion

Unregistered 31-12-2022 10:59 AM

Before the holidays, my P spoke to me and ask me to apply for HQ. He will support and needed me to apply since they cannot help us to do so.

Which GEO grade can apply for HQ?
Is it really true, going HQ means more potential?
Applying HQ is the same opening as OPE right?

Sorry for the questions, I’m new to this 😅

Unregistered 31-12-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237964)
Before the holidays, my P spoke to me and ask me to apply for HQ. He will support and needed me to apply since they cannot help us to do so.

Which GEO grade can apply for HQ?
Is it really true, going HQ means more potential?
Applying HQ is the same opening as OPE right?

Sorry for the questions, I’m new to this 😅

What grade are you currently? Anyone can apply to HQ as long as you meet the cep requirements. Have you expressed intentions to be on the leadership track? Perhaps your school does not have any vacancies and your P is helping you by encouraging a hq stint

Unregistered 31-12-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237954)

Self funded? No. But if you manage to get a PGA or PGS, then yes it will be helpful for progression. Keep in mind you need to have 5 years of trained experience, and some good performance grades in the past 3 years with at least one B. Can read the circular which was sent out awhile back for 2023 applications

Unregistered 31-12-2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237968)
What grade are you currently? Anyone can apply to HQ as long as you meet the cep requirements. Have you expressed intentions to be on the leadership track? Perhaps your school does not have any vacancies and your P is helping you by encouraging a hq stint

GEO 3. Yes I think the sch is quite full and nothing suitable for me so he suggested HQ.
I expressed before but didn’t pushed for it because I know the limited space in schools.

Is the opening same as OPE? Thank you in advance

Unregistered 31-12-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qoooo (Post 237721)
Hmm i stayed in my school for 7 years because i am a person who don't like change. I tried to apply for open posting 2 years ago but it was unsuccessful. I decided to leave the school(NPL) because of the toxic work environment. A total of 9 to 10 teachers left the school this year(half of them quit, the other applied for open posting). I decided to leave for the sake of my mental health.

My female colleague worked for 9 years before she was promoted to geo 4.

Those who left service, where did they go?

Unregistered 31-12-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

I can totally empathise with you! Frankly, I love teaching but the thought of the new academic year starting induces fear and anxiety. My stamina is waning and I am only 7.5 years into teaching.

Unregistered 31-12-2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237972)
I can totally empathise with you! Frankly, I love teaching but the thought of the new academic year starting induces fear and anxiety. My stamina is waning and I am only 7.5 years into teaching.

Same here. 7.5 years. Jus cant wait to leave

Unregistered 31-12-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237974)
Same here. 7.5 years. Jus cant wait to leave

Don’t give yourself too much stress. Treat it like a job, leave once your last period ends.

Unregistered 31-12-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237978)
Don’t give yourself too much stress. Treat it like a job, leave once your last period ends.

the issue for many people is that after all the exhaustion for years, even the first to last period is already torturous enough...

hope everyone includes in your 2023 resolution to take care of your own mental health and find a better job that is less draining and has more work life balance...

Unregistered 31-12-2022 06:21 PM

Anyone done an AD stint in HQ? Is it very different from being a HOD in school?

Unregistered 31-12-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237984)
Anyone done an AD stint in HQ? Is it very different from being a HOD in school?

This is a broad question, but if you're going to a branch that is mostly EOs, your people management/people development work will be quite similar. But your own work pieces will definitely be different from what you used to do in school.

Which part of HQ are you moving to as an AD, and what sort of HOD portfolio (IP, SD, ICT, etc?) did you use to hold?

Unregistered 31-12-2022 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237971)
Those who left service, where did they go?

Some moved on to pursue further studies.

Some transferred to other ministries and stat boards.

Some became FAJT, or full time tutor or work at tuition centres

Some went on to private sector, took on jobs in areas they majored in, or become generalists (HR, training and development, admin, events planning.

Some become agents.

Teachers are jack of all trades. Unless you have been slacking off, teachers have a huge repertoire of skill sets that make them versatile in job market.

Might get pay cut, but definitely will get a job. At worse, there will always be tuition assignments for ex teachers.

For the 7.5 year people, if you feel so bad about school, it is seriously time to consider changing work environment. Can consider HQ or secondments to try a different environment. Value your physical and mental health.

Unregistered 01-01-2023 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237988)
This is a broad question, but if you're going to a branch that is mostly EOs, your people management/people development work will be quite similar. But your own work pieces will definitely be different from what you used to do in school.

Which part of HQ are you moving to as an AD, and what sort of HOD portfolio (IP, SD, ICT, etc?) did you use to hold?

IP HOD, don't have any set destination yet but looking to go into something directly curriculum related. In school, it's more about admin than teaching so I wonder whether it would be the same in HQ where an AD is a pretty admin heavy role rather than working directly with curriculum issues

Unregistered 01-01-2023 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238004)
IP HOD, don't have any set destination yet but looking to go into something directly curriculum related. In school, it's more about admin than teaching so I wonder whether it would be the same in HQ where an AD is a pretty admin heavy role rather than working directly with curriculum issues

AD is an invitation position only. Cannot apply through OPE one. So if you get the invitation, it means they have plans for you to be promoted to VP. So should go for it.

Unregistered 01-01-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237972)

Try applying for independent schools via ope. Workload seems to be better than mainstream schools.

Unregistered 01-01-2023 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 238006)
AD is an invitation position only. Cannot apply through OPE one. So if you get the invitation, it means they have plans for you to be promoted to VP. So should go for it.

There are also usually one or a few AD positions that can be competed for at every Facilitated HQ Posting exercise. Besides waiting to be invited, one can also express interest during FHQ. Of course, the choices here are limited and it is extremely competitive.

But yes you are right, if one is invited to consider an AD appointment, the opportunity should be seized.