Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 29-03-2024 10:32 AM

Need some advice here.

I left MOE before covid and returned during covid.

I recently entertained thoughts of opening posting to HQ as i felt that my school has no plans to groom me to become a KP.

But recently I got promoted to GEO5. This is completely unexpected as I just got promoted to GEO4 in 2022, 1.5yrs after returning to service.

Which leads me to my question, should i stay on since the school seems to be ranking me well and recognizing my efforts and contribution? but no one sound me out on whether i am keen to be a KP

Unregistered 29-03-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272925)
There's some misconception here as well. Promotion has slowed for average performers, but it's still quite fast for strong performers. I have been at my school for 10+ years and have seen plenty of 2-3 year promotions from GEO 3 to 4, and 3-4 years from GEO4 to 5. GEO5 to SEO1 and SEO1 to SEO2 usually longer but there's also some who get it in 3-4 years per grade. Not scholars, just good performers.

In a way the system is actually correcting itself? Gone are the days of just cruising and getting promoted, but if you are a consistently strong performer and your school KPs/SLs aren't toxic, chances are you will be recognized and get promoted.

The concept of "average" and "strong" has also changed over the last 5-10 years though.

And history does matter. Some ROs now may not even be teaching as well as his/her subordinate, but in the past they managed to rise up so fast to their current position now.

The bar has been raised so much already.

If we zoom out and look at the bigger picture now, a high performing GEO3 will need to have a portfolio that covers almost everything (IP and non IP related), while specializing in some of his/her strengths (leadership role e.g. IC-ship or being extremely skilled in something). Most of such officers' lives revolve only around work. We can already see so many SEOs and GEO5s (can also guess their ages already) remaining single or childless by choice due to the demand of work. Gotta sacrifice something to climb. Those able to juggle work and everything else are either rare, or have some sort of external support (rich or free spouse, family etc)

There is also that element of luck of having a good RO who fights for you and SLs who are fair.

In a human centric type of industry, your progression is a lot more complex than other sectors like tech or finance. Right here, it is a combination of arbitrary numbers, proper connections and finally, luck.

To put this in a more crude way, the complexity and demand of this industry now ensures a constant flow of officers resigning, remaining stagnant, being recruited and finally, being promoted, no? Bell curve model for fairness, no?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272836)
they may rotate, but eventually the hod are still the ones determining the performance and promotion, evil hod will just attack another set of hardworking teachers. so i really dont see the point of this. if its abt rotating the hod DOWN and letting others rotate upwards then maybe that will be better.

1) If HODs really want to stay in their school, they'll need to either step down or switch to teaching track (or… well, be old).

2) If they choose to retain their HOD appointment and switch school, they'll be forced to work and show their worth in the new environment. For those who aren't able to do so, a number will end up choosing to step down.

Overall, even if it doesn't solve 100% of the 'problem' you have outlined, it's quite likely to reduce it… no?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 11:43 AM

anyone throwing in letter soon?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272939)
anyone throwing in letter soon?

Yes. 9th year geo 3 here. Throwing letter on 31 March

Unregistered 29-03-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272884)
just got notified that i am getting promoted to SEO1. this is my 10th year in trained service.

suffered a lot along the way, promotion doesn't feel that good

i hope that u now don’t inflict suffering on others. takes a lot not to most KPs are vile, at least hypocritical if not downright evil, it’s how the system works. ****ing hypocrites given the profession. am sure many will burn in hell

Unregistered 29-03-2024 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272944)

because of the slow promotion? any plans for next job?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272932)
The concept of "average" and "strong" has also changed over the last 5-10 years though.

And history does matter. Some ROs now may not even be teaching as well as his/her subordinate, but in the past they managed to rise up so fast to their current position now.

The bar has been raised so much already.

If we zoom out and look at the bigger picture now, a high performing GEO3 will need to have a portfolio that covers almost everything (IP and non IP related), while specializing in some of his/her strengths (leadership role e.g. IC-ship or being extremely skilled in something). Most of such officers' lives revolve only around work. We can already see so many SEOs and GEO5s (can also guess their ages already) remaining single or childless by choice due to the demand of work. Gotta sacrifice something to climb. Those able to juggle work and everything else are either rare, or have some sort of external support (rich or free spouse, family etc)

There is also that element of luck of having a good RO who fights for you and SLs who are fair.

In a human centric type of industry, your progression is a lot more complex than other sectors like tech or finance. Right here, it is a combination of arbitrary numbers, proper connections and finally, luck.

To put this in a more crude way, the complexity and demand of this industry now ensures a constant flow of officers resigning, remaining stagnant, being recruited and finally, being promoted, no? Bell curve model for fairness, no?

This isn’t really a bad thing? Most jobs have evolved, and the demands of teaching have too.

Teaching your own IP subject is only one part of a modern teacher’s work, there’s many other things that are important and the system has evolved to recognise that.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272919)
Hi, I'm a BT, mid career and PGDE graduated in 2022 and ranked GEO3 upon confirmation. Level rep and house master for the past 2 years in this school. Just gotten my promotion to GEO 4 last week. Not FCH. Is my CPE good?

OP here...typo in my post..what I meant was CEP

Unregistered 29-03-2024 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272950)
This isn’t really a bad thing? Most jobs have evolved, and the demands of teaching have too.

Teaching your own IP subject is only one part of a modern teacher’s work, there’s many other things that are important and the system has evolved to recognise that.

there's both good and bad...

but if we look at the "bad", the younger officers have it much worse then those in their 40s and older. the older KPs are also able to escape some of the modern demands, by arrowing their subordinates to do it

Unregistered 29-03-2024 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272937)
1) If HODs really want to stay in their school, they'll need to either step down or switch to teaching track (or… well, be old).

2) If they choose to retain their HOD appointment and switch school, they'll be forced to work and show their worth in the new environment. For those who aren't able to do so, a number will end up choosing to step down.

Overall, even if it doesn't solve 100% of the 'problem' you have outlined, it's quite likely to reduce it… no?

I think its a good iniative!! Its like lowkey telling KP to rotate or step down. Either ways it is a win-win. Some kps are too cocky and comfy in their position already.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272944)

Are u a diploma grad ?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272919)
Hi, I'm a BT, mid career and PGDE graduated in 2022 and ranked GEO3 upon confirmation. Level rep and house master for the past 2 years in this school. Just gotten my promotion to GEO 4 last week. Not FCH. Is my CPE good?

How old are you and what was your previous job role?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 04:20 PM

True. The demands of being a teacher now has vastly increased since the 2010s. Those in KP position are privileged at home or do not have children. I see how they work non-stop and get arrows for everything and I feel sorry for them. But then I remember, that’s what they wanted. Those without privileges at home suffer a burnout. Take MCs often. Worth it?

Only the individual can answer that for him or herself.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272966)
How old are you and what was your previous job role?

I'm past 40 and was a programmer team lead

Unregistered 29-03-2024 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272921)
Looking at the recent posts, I just feel the need to share with younger educators that a forum is a forum and its not the most accurate source of information. A lot of these reviews given by poor performers are one-sided, and tbh its not easy to get a D grade these days. Often, the officer's lack of self-awareness is the problem, hence don't be too trusting of these online stories and end up feeling jaded, because honestly its not that bad for the majority.

On those that are performing or want to perform, as the long suffering SEO1 has alluded to, leadership in school is increasingly difficult, increasingly toothless, more consultative/conducive -- for good or bad. Much like a DM who cannot really enforce the rules anymore. Be prepared to be tested and face extremely difficult colleagues in ur path to move up the ladder.

Long story short, take stories here with pinch of salt and practice discernment.

I fully agree that it is not easy to get a D grade, but wondered why the RO and VP worked together in such extent to "kill" this new BT.

Also, I fully agreed that DMs are finding it more difficult to enforce discipline since the kids also know that the school can't do much to them. It also doesn't help that many parents just throw their ill-disciplined kids to the school and ensure they are in the school childcare as well in order to "handover" or "outsource" the teaching to the school. There are even many who signed up their children to endless enrichment classes during weekends and school holidays so that they can "hands off" their kids. There are simply too many parents who don't care or don't know how to teach their children. They expect miracles to happen when they send their kids into the school at 7am and fetch them at 6pm after child care. They don't monitor their work after they fetch them and don't pick up calls when teachers call them giving the excuse that they are busy at work. Some even use their children to take childcare leave by taking MCs so that they can skive from their work when their child is perfectly fine but unable to attend school to learn.

The world is sick now. Many parents want to just give birth but are unable to teach or hold the responsibility to educate their child. Then they blamed it all on teachers. However, teachers cannot complain. There are law and notices to protect doctors and nurses. However, who protect the teachers? The kids can throw tables and chairs and bits and hit the teachers, but the teachers cannot fight back.

The voices of teachers are ignored but the voices of parents are attended to straightaway. Where is the system to protect the teachers?

Munchen 29-03-2024 05:50 PM

How much percentage of a pay jump from geo2 to geo3?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272921)
Looking at the recent posts, I just feel the need to share with younger educators that a forum is a forum and its not the most accurate source of information. A lot of these reviews given by poor performers are one-sided, and tbh its not easy to get a D grade these days. Often, the officer's lack of self-awareness is the problem, hence don't be too trusting of these online stories and end up feeling jaded, because honestly its not that bad for the majority.

On those that are performing or want to perform, as the long suffering SEO1 has alluded to, leadership in school is increasingly difficult, increasingly toothless, more consultative/conducive -- for good or bad. Much like a DM who cannot really enforce the rules anymore. Be prepared to be tested and face extremely difficult colleagues in ur path to move up the ladder.

Long story short, take stories here with pinch of salt and practice discernment.

Agree with this. Im on my school’s ranking panel for 6 yrs and in that time I have never ever seen a D being given. Even C- is given with huge reluctance and after a lot of debate.

To the younger officers out there, take what you read here with a pinch of salt. Your KPs are not out to get you.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272980)
Agree with this. Im on my school’s ranking panel for 6 yrs and in that time I have never ever seen a D being given. Even C- is given with huge reluctance and after a lot of debate.

To the younger officers out there, take what you read here with a pinch of salt. Your KPs are not out to get you.

but that’s you n at best your school. some humans are vile. u telling me KPs are saints?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 09:06 PM

Quote:

Same situation in my school. We have never given a D and for C-, we are trying to cut to the minimal by giving low performers C but with a lower quantum rather than C-

Unregistered 29-03-2024 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272994)
Same situation in my school. We have never given a D and for C-, we are trying to cut to the minimal by giving low performers C but with a lower quantum rather than C-

u mean in a school, there is no need to give any C- at all?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272992)
but that’s you n at best your school. some humans are vile. u telling me KPs are saints?

You need to understand that it is actually more troubling and energy sapping for your KPs to justify a bad grade, than to just give a good grade. It makes no sense for them to do it out of no reason.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 09:55 PM

Quote:

D is seldom given to teachers but all schools have to give about 5% of their teachers the C- grade. If your school KPs do not like certain teachers, they will give the C- grade to them.

Some KPs manage to climb so fast because they are cunning people and will backstab others to get a leadership position. Some of them only pretend to be nice in front of their JHs but behind their back, tell the school leaders whenever you make a mistake. Of course not all KPs are like that. Some are nice and really will help the teachers..

Unregistered 29-03-2024 10:20 PM

Anyone know around when will OYEA nominees get the email or letter?

Unregistered 29-03-2024 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272951)
OP here...typo in my post..what I meant was CEP

How old are you?

Could be just an accelerated track for you to catch up with your peers of the same age.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272974)
I fully agree that it is not easy to get a D grade, but wondered why the RO and VP worked together in such extent to "kill" this new BT.

Also, I fully agreed that DMs are finding it more difficult to enforce discipline since the kids also know that the school can't do much to them. It also doesn't help that many parents just throw their ill-disciplined kids to the school and ensure they are in the school childcare as well in order to "handover" or "outsource" the teaching to the school. There are even many who signed up their children to endless enrichment classes during weekends and school holidays so that they can "hands off" their kids. There are simply too many parents who don't care or don't know how to teach their children. They expect miracles to happen when they send their kids into the school at 7am and fetch them at 6pm after child care. They don't monitor their work after they fetch them and don't pick up calls when teachers call them giving the excuse that they are busy at work. Some even use their children to take childcare leave by taking MCs so that they can skive from their work when their child is perfectly fine but unable to attend school to learn.

The world is sick now. Many parents want to just give birth but are unable to teach or hold the responsibility to educate their child. Then they blamed it all on teachers. However, teachers cannot complain. There are law and notices to protect doctors and nurses. However, who protect the teachers? The kids can throw tables and chairs and bits and hit the teachers, but the teachers cannot fight back.

The voices of teachers are ignored but the voices of parents are attended to straightaway. Where is the system to protect the teachers?

Actually there are laws to protect civil servants, which include teachers

The problem is not due to the lack of a law, but the lack of will to enforce the law.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272973)
I'm past 40 and was a programmer team lead

Then I think you’re at the average pace. If you’re CEP has been increased, it’ll be told to you.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273007)
Actually there are laws to protect civil servants, which include teachers

The problem is not due to the lack of a law, but the lack of will to enforce the law.

Yup there are laws to protect teachers from abusive adults. But not from children and much less special needs children.

Unregistered 29-03-2024 11:48 PM

Are there many promotees to geo 5A in your schools?

Unregistered 30-03-2024 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272992)

When i read posts like this, i feel sad. It’s kind of naive that you this way. People are imperfect. Read widely and learn to read people.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272230)
is there a maximum age for flp?

Yes. 40 is the max.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 02:30 AM

Prospects

Hi i've recently just applied to the PGDE programme and im curious about the career progression and starting pay scale. For some context i am female fresh grad, (local uni) + Masters(NUS) and i've had some teaching experience in a international school for about 2 years (part-time while i was doing my masters). Ive heard that HR will only take into account the honours for your first degree and base your pay on that. Is this true? And will part-time teaching experience factor in into the starting pay?

Also, since i've already taken my masters, are there opportunities to do a PHD/EdD in the future, (e.g. 5 years into teaching?) or will it be reserved only for more senior teachers/ scholars?

Also

Munchen 30-03-2024 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273025)
Yes. 40 is the max.

Scholarships for masters in teaching are usually given to KPs who had served a good duration of time in MOE, i would say at least 10 years. I have never seen a masters Teaching Assistant in NIE who is in their 30s.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273022)
When i read posts like this, i feel sad. It’s kind of naive that you this way. People are imperfect. Read widely and learn to read people.

i dont blame some of them for feeling this way though. yes, we can all learn to read people properly eventually. but it doesnt mean the other party will have compassion or empathy for others.

one of the previous posts already mentioned that a certain % of staff must get C-. this means that incompetent people will get it (of course), but also for some people who are targeted, it probably cant be avoided.

if you read the last 20-30 pgs of this thread, there are accounts of both extremes.

take maternity or NPL, still can get B
get challenging workload and do their best, still can get D

and some maintained that most superiors are actually not that evil and will try to let everyone scrape through with at least a C, so we should not take all the outlier stories too seriously

the truth is that the bell curve will always be there, and there are also all kinds of reporting officers out there. all of the above stories are equally possible. nowadays to survive and adapt is tougher, due to the competition and lots of changes in policies.

want to get out of a toxic environment and transfer? not that easy also, with the competition and limited vacancies.

want to remain comfortable (those with good RO protecting/fighting for you)? not for long anymore, with the forced rotation of ROs (according to previous posts).

decide on whats important to you - wanting to climb and learning how to survive the increasing workload and politics, or to stay healthy and sane while just doing mostly what you enjoy, yourself and your family.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 09:53 AM

Hi, what’s the pay increment from Geo4 to Geo5? From geo5 to seo1?

Unregistered 30-03-2024 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273030)
Hi i've recently just applied to the PGDE programme and im curious about the career progression and starting pay scale. For some context i am female fresh grad, (local uni) + Masters(NUS) and i've had some teaching experience in a international school for about 2 years (part-time while i was doing my masters). Ive heard that HR will only take into account the honours for your first degree and base your pay on that. Is this true? And will part-time teaching experience factor in into the starting pay?

Also, since i've already taken my masters, are there opportunities to do a PHD/EdD in the future, (e.g. 5 years into teaching?) or will it be reserved only for more senior teachers/ scholars?

Also

Civil service pay is based on bachelors. Having masters or phd doesn't mean anything in terms of starting pay. At best a higher cep.

You can take a self-paid masters anytime. If you want a fully sponsored masters, have to apply for postgrad scholarship (more for high cep people).

If you have served long enough, e.g. 10-15 years, you may take a paid sabbatical to do a masters at own expense.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272998)
You need to understand that it is actually more troubling and energy sapping for your KPs to justify a bad grade, than to just give a good grade. It makes no sense for them to do it out of no reason.

Exactly. There's no reason to intentionally give people C- or Ds purely out of malice at all. It just causes us more trouble.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273069)
Exactly. There's no reason to intentionally give people C- or Ds purely out of malice at all. It just causes us more trouble.

You can't give C-/D for no apparent reason or without being told on the possibility if performance doesn't improve. So I do find some of the stories about getting C- unexpectedly despite helming important projects and doing well with the jobs assigned bizarre.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 273086)
You can't give C-/D for no apparent reason or without being told on the possibility if performance doesn't improve. So I do find some of the stories about getting C- unexpectedly despite helming important projects and doing well with the jobs assigned bizarre.

Bizarre doesn't mean won't happen haha. There are some who don't follow the usual procedures.

I know someone personally who have gotten 2 Ds before. Thankfully it's not in a row. He stayed at the same subgrade for around 10 years.

Unregistered 30-03-2024 04:51 PM

Teachers who studied at RI are so typically similar. Can't stop flexing on social media. Wanna have them as your RO?